Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Have you ever hit the button to close an elevator's doors because you saw someone was trying to get on and you wanted to leave without them?

Cooked Crack

Have you ever hit the button to close an elevator's doors because you saw someone was trying to get on and you wanted to leave without them?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever hit the button to close an elevator's doors because you saw someone was trying to get on and you wanted to leave without them?

• Yes
    • No

Yes, but only when it was people I knew and it was meant to be funny OR they were people I don't like.

For strangers, I try to hold the door for people I see coming. 

Also, the 12% of people that think pushing the close doors button delays the closing of the doors are conspiracy theorists. That's probably in line with the national average of people that believe conspiracy theories.

• Thumb up 1

Are you an asshole?
__ Yes
__ No

I go the opposite. I look before i let the doors close. Just the other day, in fact. To get to the elevators where I usually go you have a good long walk to get to them. I knew this lady was behind me, quite a few paces. So I held the door for about 10 seconds for her to get on.
And whattaya know, her foot is in a soft cast.

That Golden Rule, y'know. One day that's you.

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, CobraCommander said:

Yes, but only when it was people I knew and it was meant to be funny OR they were people I don't like.

OMG you just triggered a memory for me.  We were coming home from the HFStival after high school and the four of us ran from the orange line to the red line at Metro center because it was a 20 minute wait for the next red.  One guy in our group fell way behind so the three of us got on the train and I stood in the door trying to stall for our fourth guy to get to us.  Anyways ,the metro guy starts yelling at me on the intercom (our friend was way behind), so I get in the train and it leaves, just as he's coming down the stairs.

We waited at the Silver Spring Metro for him but he didn't say a word to us on the way home. Oddly he was most pissed at me because he actually saw me on the train as it went by (even though I was the one person who actually tried to hold the train for him, and another guy in our group was his best friend since kindergarten).

Anyways the point of my story is that high school kids are jerks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, balki1867 said:

OMG you just triggered a memory for me.  We were coming home from the HFStival after high school and the four of us ran from the orange line to the red line at Metro center because it was a 20 minute wait for the next red.  One guy in our group fell way behind so the three of us got on the train and I stood in the door trying to stall for our fourth guy to get to us.  Anyways ,the metro guy starts yelling at me on the intercom (our friend was way behind), so I get in the train and it leaves, just as he's coming down the stairs.

We waited at the Silver Spring Metro for him but he didn't say a word to us on the way home. Oddly he was most pissed at me because he actually saw me on the train as it went by (even though I was the one person who actually tried to hold the train for him, and another guy in our group was his best friend since kindergarten).

Anyways the point of my story is that high school kids are jerks.

That feels like an instance where you should've all gotten off the train and waited with your friend. Highschool kids are jerks, that much is true.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, CobraCommander said:

That feels like an instance where you should've all gotten off the train and waited with your friend. Highschool kids are jerks, that much is true.

Yeah it literally saved us no time because we all waited at Silver Spring.  And we ditched/pissed off a friend.  I think the other guys thought it would be funny to ditch him-- I have no idea.

43 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Pre-covid I always was curteous with holding the door open. Now I much prefer not to share an elevator with people and won't go out of my way to hold a door open. I suspect the feeling is mutual.

This.  And in fact there have been many instances where people have invited me into a crowded elevator and I've just said "No, I'll wait for the next one."  At this point I prefer not to be in tight enclosed spaces with a bunch of strangers.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

9 minutes ago, China said:

This.  And in fact there have been many instances where people have invited me into a crowded elevator and I've just said "No, I'll wait for the next one."  At this point I prefer not to be in tight enclosed spaces with a bunch of strangers.

This I have done.
If it is one or two people, OK, but more than tat. i'll catch the next one.

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

I have closed the door on very specific people. A few while looking them in the eye and smiling. They either made me really uncomfortable or I just didn't ****ing like them. 

There was this one lady who tried to get me fired just because she thought my wife working in the same building was a conflict of interest. Literally that was it. We don't even work together and I meet her there. So I wanted her to know she could go **** herself. I told her multiple times to her face, while closing the elevator doors, actually. 

Same with the chick who told me the money she makes for the company is what fills my paychecks so I better do what she tells me to do. In exactly those words. I enjoyed telling her to get ****ed. Kind wish I still worked there for a day just so I could tell her to get ****ed again. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I didn't actually push the close button but I hoped like hell that the door would close quickly anyway. I fooled with my briefcase so it would look like I didn't notice. Said person didn't call out to hold the elevator so maybe they didn't want to ride with the rest of us, it was half full. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I remember doing this when I was on a cruise, but it was because so many cruise people are self-centered assholes, so big groups would send one person to grab the elevator, then that person would hold it for the rest of their group to show up, even when there were other people in the elevator, and it would often be like 5 minutes.  I'm not waiting for you assholes to un**** yourselves, just get the next elevator.  So I started hitting the close button as soon as I got on any elevator. 

46 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Llevron be like...

Fast And Furious Brian Oconner GIF by The Fast Saga

Second chick fell down the stairs once. I wish I was because I closed the door in her face but she was just too busy yelling at someone. Caught it on camera. Tried to get them to save it for me and send it to me, but they wouldn't do it. Would have been the perfect gif for my resignation email. 

• Haha 2

I spent a month in Singapore for work in 2000. In every elevator, no matter where it was, the person behind me would immediately push the close door button. Didn't matter the time of day, male or female - the close door button was pushed immediately upon entry. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1