Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Convicted felon Donald Trump on Trial (Found guilty on 34 felony counts. 54 criminal count still in the air)

Cooked Crack

Will Trump be convicted in any of his cases?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Will Trump be convicted in any of his cases?

• Yes. He's going 4 for 4. (including Georgia)
    • He's going to lose 3
    • Two for sure
    • He's only going to get convicted in one
    • No. He's going to skate

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I assume if i click on this, Facebook will claim that I've agreed to their terms of use stating that Facebook now owns every thought I've ever had or will have in the future.  

Yup.  Just like google.

14 minutes ago, Jabbyrwock said:

Yup.  Just like google.

But unlike Mastodon.  Stop giving in to these ****ty corporations.  There are alternatives, and inflection points like this are the time when we can actually try to move onto them before the network effect entrenches people into another ****ty technocorp hell-scape.

• Like 1

A judge allowed for Donald Trump’s former lawyer Michael Cohen to introduce one of the former president’s sons as a witness in his case against the Trump Organization, according to his attorneys.

A judge allowed for Donald Trump’s former lawyer Michael Cohen to introduce one of the former president’s sons as a witness in his case against the Trump Organization, according to his attorneys.

Mr. Cohen’s team had asked to use testimony from Donald Trump Jr in his case, as he served as a Trump Organization executive vice president.

“We would like to introduce testimony about what Mr Trump Jr. paid his lawyers in the exact same matters,” said Mr Cohen’s attorney, Hunter Winstead.

Jury selection will begin on 17 July, Mr Winstead told reporters.

“It has taken four years tMore bad news for Trump as judge rules his son can be subpoenaed in Trump Organization caseo get to where we are at,” Mr Cohen said. “All I can say is I’m looking forward to the trial because I’m looking forward to accountability.”

Cohen sued the Trump Organization in 2019, as he wants the company to pay his legal fees — a whopping $2.3m — for Mr Cohen’s role as a personal lawyer to the former president during numerous investigations.

https://news.yahoo.com/more-bad-news-trump-judge-220334692.html

• Like 2

Prosecutors in Trump classified documents case are facing threats

Individual prosecutors involved in the classified documents case against former president Donald Trump are facing substantial harassment and threats online and elsewhere, according to extremism experts and a government official familiar with the matter.

At the same time, two officials said, federal agencies have not observed a general increase in threats against law enforcement in the weeks since Trump was indicted in South Florida — a sharp contrast from the surge of violent rhetoric in the days after FBI agents searched the former president’s Florida property last August.

The officials spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive security issues. The FBI has called threats against law enforcement “reprehensible and dangerous,” and says it is working closely with other law enforcement agencies “to assess and respond to such threats.”

Far-right Trump supporters are posting the names of prosecutors and government workers online and yelling them at demonstrations, threatening them and sometimes revealing details about their personal lives, the experts said.

At the Justice Department, officials have responded by trying to keep the names of prosecutors and agents working the Trump cases from becoming public in official documents, congressional hearings and less formal conversations about the case.

That’s a tricky task, given that prosecutors’ names are listed in public court filings, and their names and information about witnesses are accessible to Trump as a defendant in the case. The former president has written social media posts directly attacking people involved in investigating him, including special counsel Jack Smith and the New York state judge handling a separate criminal indictment against Trump.

The Justice Department and the FBI have also faced sustained criticism from some Republican members of Congress, who are demanding accountability from law enforcement as they decry the investigations into Trump as partisan. Such critiques are often amplified in conservative news outlets and on social media.

Click on the link for the full article

I keep thinking that if I'm DOJ, then at least some of the prosecutors/witnesses in the case?  Before I reveal their name to Team Trump, I get a wiretap order for their phones. 

First harassing call, I've got a recording of the call, and where it came from. And at least some of the terrorists involved, they get a knock on the door within hours after they do it. 

• Like 6
  • Thumb up 1

DOJ And Trump Valet Walt Nauta Take Swipes At Each Other In Dueling Motions

On June 8, Walt Nauta, Trump’s valet, was indicted in the Southern District of Florida along with his boss by Special Counsel Jack Smith. A mere four weeks later, Nauta finally managed to retain counsel admitted in the district and pled not guilty last Thursday.

Also on Thursday Judge Aileen Cannon ordered every attorney for the parties to move immediately for an expedited security clearance, repeating an earlier order she first issued on June 15. This unsubtle prodding is in anticipation of the previously scheduled July 14 conference on compliance with the Classified Information Procedures Act. CIPA governs the use of classified evidence in court and was passed to solve the problem of “graymail,” whereby defendants could demand that prosecutors either present classified documents in open court, or drop the case.

Long before the indictment was unsealed, the entire world was aware that this prosecution would involve classified documents. Indeed Nauta’s attorney Stanley Woodward represented Nauta in multiple pre-indictment interviews with the FBI, including the one on May 26, 2022, in which he is alleged to have made the false statement about the location of Trump’s “beautiful mind boxes,” for which he was later indicted. Nevertheless, Woodward filed a motion today demanding that the CIPA hearing be postponed.

Nauta’s lawyer, who is being paid by Trump’s PAC, makes various arguments in support of his demand for a continuance. First he complains that DOJ all but ambushed him by indicting his client in Florida, where the actual crimes occurred. Then he complains that he won’t be available, since he’ll be in DC representing on the of January 6 defendants for a trial beginning Thursday, a fact he insists the DOJ must have known. And then, most bizarrely, he suggests that he was unaware of the CIPA conference until Nauta hired local counsel and Woodward was finally able to access the SDFL’s ECF system.

At that time, Mr. Nauta, through counsel was not receiving electronic notices through the Court’s CM/ECF filing system, the government did not advise counsel that the pretrial CIPA conference had been scheduled, and even when counsel did learn of the conference, Mr. Nauta had no ability to formally move the Court for relief based upon his counsel’s unavailability. Rather, it was not until Wednesday, July 5, 2023, that Mr. Nauta retained local counsel, Sasha Dadan, and Thursday, July 6, 2023, that Chief Magistrate Judge Torres entered an Order permitting Mr. Nauta, through counsel to file electronically with the Court.

There’s also this headscratcher, which implies that Woodward opposed holding a CIPA hearing at all when the DOJ approached him prior to its June 23 request for a conference date.

Although government counsel asked whether Mr. Nauta’s longtime counsel opposed such a hearing – we did – and provided an electronic courtesy copy of the same, the government did not request any dates when defense counsel would be unavailable for such a conference.

Apparently, this also caused some consternation at the Special Counsel’s Office, which responded a couple of hours later to oppose the motion, suggesting that Woodward is either really, ummm, forgetful, or he’s got one hell of a typo in his motion:

In the motion, Nauta claims that, when asked his position on the government’s CIPA § 2 motion, Mr. Woodward indicated that he opposed it. Motion at 2. It is possible that there is a word missing in Nauta’s filing – “not.” On the afternoon of June 16, in compliance with Local Rule 88.9(a), government counsel conferred with Mr. Woodward by phone concerning its planned CIPA Section 2 Motion. Government counsel discussed the motion with Mr. Woodward and the relief it sought. Mr. Woodward stated that he did not oppose the motion, and the government so represented in the motion it filed with the Court.

First hearing on classified documents will be July 18 after special counsel accuses Trump co-defendant of seeking ‘unnecessary’ delay

The first hearing before US District Judge Aileen Cannon in the federal criminal case against Donald Trump will be on July 18, according to a court order.

The hearing will be about handling classified information in the case – the first of likely many proceedings on this topic – and may not be fully conducted in public because of the sensitivity around the issues.

The date was set after a fight on Monday where special counsel Jack Smith suggested Trump and co-defendant Walt Nauta were trying to create an “unnecessary” delay by moving it from this coming Friday.

The spat highlights how even the most incremental, procedural developments in the historic federal criminal case against Trump and Nauta could become mired in disputes – especially when it comes to scheduling as prosecutors want to go to trial in less than six months and Trump lawyers have been adept at delaying other legal fights he’s facing.

In Nauta’s filing requesting the delay, the Trump aide cited a bench trial that his main lawyer, Stanley Woodward, has in Washington, DC, this week as the reason for proposing a delay.

Smith fired back in his filing that Nauta has provided no reason why his Florida-based lawyer, Sasha Dadan, couldn’t handle the hearing.

“An indefinite continuance is unnecessary, will inject additional delay in this case, and is contrary to the public interest,” the Smith team said in their filing.

In a new filing later Monday, Trump’s defense team and the special counsel’s office said July 18 would be an agreeable date for the first appearance.

Yeah what did you expect? Her to recuse herself cause dems are mad she was appointed by trump and assigned to the case? I told you all that wasn’t going to happen and there’s no precedent for it. 

Reigned in by whom?

1 hour ago, tshile said:

Yeah what did you expect? Her to recuse herself cause dems are mad she was appointed by trump and assigned to the case? I told you all that wasn’t going to happen and there’s no precedent for it. 

Reigned in by whom?

By Cecilia M. Altonaga, Chief United States District Judge for the Southern district of Florida.  

Hopefully 

Edited by The 12th Commandment

2 hours ago, tshile said:

Reigned in by whom?

That's not being intellectually honest.  People are mad because she has a proven track record of making outrageous decisions in his favor rather than actually following any reasonably objective interpretation of the law.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, The 12th Commandment said:

By Cecilia M. Altonaga, Chief United States District Judge for the Southern district of Florida.  

Hopefully 

And the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals that handed her ass back to her in her previous decisions that favored TFG. If she's smart, she learned her lesson about not using favoritism.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 3

4 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

That's not being intellectually honest.  People are mad because she has a proven track record of making outrageous decisions in his favor rather than actually following any reasonably objective interpretation of the law.

I may misunderstand then. I thought it was one case she had a bad ruling on that was overturned?

Also I’m not aware of a standard or precedent of recusing yourself because in a different case you had a ruling that was overturned but I’m not exactly an authority on legal stuff

5 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

And the standard for recusal is "if a reasonable person, knowing all the facts, would have doubts about the judge's ability to be impartial in the case."  Given her history of making rulings that were extremely favorable to Trump, clearly wrong, and subsequently overturned on appeal, I think a reasonable person would have doubts about her ability to be impartial. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

And the standard for recusal is "if a reasonable person, knowing all the facts, would have doubts about the judge's ability to be impartial in the case."  Given her history of making rulings that were extremely favorable to Trump, clearly wrong, and subsequently overturned on appeal, I think a reasonable person would have doubts about her ability to be impartial. 

Can a recusal be forced on her?

16 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Can a recusal be forced on her?

I'm no expert on this but, although I don't think recusal per se could be forced on her, the Chief Judge of her court could reassign the case, which is effectively the same thing.  

It hasn't happened yet, and Judge Cannon is making rulings, so that ship may have sailed. 

I've also heard that the 11th Circuit, the appeals court above her court, could have a say in it, but I'm not sure how that would work.