Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Convicted felon Donald Trump on Trial (Found guilty on 34 felony counts. 54 criminal count still in the air)

Cooked Crack

Will Trump be convicted in any of his cases?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Will Trump be convicted in any of his cases?

• Yes. He's going 4 for 4. (including Georgia)
    • He's going to lose 3
    • Two for sure
    • He's only going to get convicted in one
    • No. He's going to skate

This poll is closed to new votes

My opinion:  the legal pundits are scared to comment on this because it is too politically connected and they will get attacked and accused as biased, regardless of which side. 

Meadows basically denied the two things that he is directly implicated in.  He is gonna say, "Trump directed the memo to be written."  The second one is more clever because he is saying it was a message "chief of staff to chief of staff."  There is nothing wrong with pressuring the chief of staff of a public official to change election results.  He could double down and say, "I thought I was texting the chief of staff... no intent to pressure the election official." 

Georgia is not just accusing him of listening in on calls or scheduling meetings.  He was meeting with other states (PA and MI) to overturn the election. 

I do think the case is defensible... but he is being accused of offering CAMPAIGN FUNDS... to Georgia.  To me, that is a huge key.

Former Trump attorney Chesebro disavows Sidney Powell in push for speedy trial

Kenneth Chesebro, an attorney charged in the 2020 Georgia election case for aiding in the fake electors plan, made clear to a state judge Friday he wants nothing to do with co-defendant Sidney Powell.

Chesebro and Powell — who both pleaded not guilty — filed separate motions for a speedy trial, which would likely allow them to proceed to trial this fall on an advanced timetable. 

Chesebro already sought to sever his case from all of his 18 co-defendants. But on Friday, he filed a new motion about Powell specifically, stressing that despite her similar demand for rapidity, the duo still should be tried separately.

“The actions of Mr. Chesebro and Ms. Powell are akin to oil and water; wholly separate and impossible to mix (into one conspiracy),” Chesebro’s attorney wrote in Friday’s court filing.

A state judge has set Chesebro’s trial to begin on Oct. 23 but has not yet set a date for Powell or the others. Fulton County, Ga., District Attorney Fani Willis (D) wants all of the co-defendants to be tried together.

Chesebro’s attorney, Scott Grubman, insisted Chesebro and Powell have never met, sent emails, called, texted or communicated on social media with each other.

“In sum, there has never been any direct contact or communication between Mr. Chesebro and Ms. Powell. Similarly, there is no correlation or overlap between the overt acts or the substantive charges associated with Mr. Chesebro and Ms. Powell,” Grubman wrote.

Earlier this week, Powell also asked to sever her case from all of the co-defendants. She similarly indicated she had no relationship with Chesebro.

Click on the link for the full article

If I'm the judge, I'm telling them to F off, we're not having 19 separate trials.  You both wanted speedy trials, you're going together.

• Like 1

The tricky legal question at the center of the Trump mug shot cash grab

Donald Trump surrendered to authorities in Georgia last week and had his mug shot taken by the Fulton County sheriff. He wasted no time in turning that photo into a massive moneymaker. You name it, the Trump campaign slapped his mug shot on it: a $34 mug shot T-shirt, a “Never Surrender” coffee mug for $25, beverage coolers at $15 for a pair — and much, much more.

While there has been no official report on how much the sale of these items has brought in, Politico reported last week that the campaign had raised north of $7 million since the mug shot’s release, “powered” by the sales of merchandise “bearing Trump’s scowling mugshot.”

But as various legal experts have noted, Trump’s sale of that mug shot, taken by the Fulton County sheriff, may violate U.S. copyright laws. This could mean that theoretically, the millions he is making off that photo may rightfully belong to the Fulton County sheriff — an entity that just happens to be in desperate need of funds to address the horrific conditions in the Fulton County Jail.

As a general principle, the owner of a photo’s copyright is the person (or entity) who takes that photo, not its subject. In federal criminal cases, the U.S. government is not permitted to own the copyright to booking photos, so they are considered in the public domain. However, that is generally not the case with mug shots taken in state and local criminal proceedings.  

Betsy Rosenblatt, a professor at Case Western Reserve University School of Law, recently explained to Spectrum News 1 Ohio that the copyright owner of Trump’s mug shot is likely the Fulton County Sheriff’s Office. Other legal experts support that interpretation, including a 2022 article in the University of Georgia School of Law’s Journal of Intellectual Property Law that noted, “In the context of photographs taken by law enforcement during the booking process, the author of the mugshot photograph is the law enforcement agency.”

That would, again theoretically mean the Fulton County Sheriff’s Office has exclusive rights under U.S. copyright law to reproduce, sell or otherwise distribute Trump’s mug shot, except for certain uses like publishing the photo for news purposes. (I emailed the Fulton County Sheriff’s Office on Wednesday to confirm it owns the copyright and to ask if the Trump campaign has permission to use the image to sell for a profit. I have not received a response.)

It’s true the Fulton County Sheriff’s Office did release the mug shot, but that doesn’t necessarily mean anyone else has the right to reproduce and sell it for a profit, as the Trump campaign is doing.

Click on the link for more

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Bang said:

I think i might want to change my bet in the "who's going to off themselves first" sweepstakes to Eric Trump.

What a stooge. What a ****ing stooge for the AGES.

~Bang

All of his children are narc assholes, just like their dad. 

Any or all, I'm good with it. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

On 8/29/2023 at 11:03 PM, Califan007 The Constipated said:

And Trump may very well be facing a fifth indictment on the horizon in Arizona now lol...👍

On 8/29/2023 at 11:15 PM, China said:

Oh, that's not the only one.  I'm still waiting for the federal wire fraud indictment for his campaign finance shenanigans.

There is more coming, and some of it may involve some of those heretofore unindicted co-conspirators:

CNN Exclusive: Special counsel election probe continues with focus on fundraising, voting equipment breaches

Special counsel Jack Smith is still pursuing his investigation into efforts to overturn the 2020 election a month after indicting Donald Trump for orchestrating a broad conspiracy to remain in power, a widening of the probe that raises the possibility others could still face legal peril.

Questions asked of two recent witnesses indicate Smith is focusing on how money raised off baseless claims of voter fraud was used to fund attempts to breach voting equipment in several states won by Joe Biden, according to multiple sources familiar with the ongoing investigation.

In both interviews, prosecutors have focused their questions on the role of former Trump lawyer Sidney Powell.

According to invoices obtained by CNN, Powell’s non-profit, Defending the Republic, hired forensics firms that ultimately accessed voting equipment in four swing states won by Biden: Georgia, Pennsylvania, Michigan and Arizona.

Powell faces criminal charges in Georgia after she was indicted last month by Atlanta-area district attorney Fani Willis, who alleges that Powell helped coordinate and fund a multi-state plot to illegally access voting systems after the 2020 election.

New details about Smith’s ongoing investigation indicate federal prosecutors are scrutinizing a series of voting breaches following the 2020 election that state investigators have been probing for more than a year.

Exactly how this recent line of inquiry fits into Smith’s ongoing criminal investigation remains unclear. Smith’s grand jury in Washington, DC, is set to expire on Sept. 15 but it can be extended beyond then.

The special counsel’s office declined to comment.

Click on the link for the full article

• Thumb up 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

IT guy at Maralago flipped.  This was strongly suspected a few weeks ago, but it looks confirmed now. 

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/06/politics/mar-a-lago-it-worker/index.html

Mar-a-Lago IT worker Yuscil Taveras has struck a cooperation agreement with the special counsel’s office in the federal case over former President Donald Trump’s handling of classified documents, Taveras’ former defense attorney said in a new court filing.

Taveras struck the deal with prosecutors after he was threatened with prosecution, defense attorney Stanley Woodward wrote in the filing dated Tuesday.

Taveras is referred to in the filing and in the superseding indictment as “Trump Employee 4,” and CNN has identified him as that employee.

According to the terms of the deal explained in the filing, Taveras agreed to testify in the classified documents case and in exchange will not be prosecuted. He has not been charged with any crimes.

The filing marks the first public acknowledgment that special counsel Jack Smith has won the cooperation of key witnesses as part of his prosecution of Trump, his longtime valet Walt Nauta and Mar-a-Lago property manager Carlos de Oliveira.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 6

2 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

IT guy at Maralago flipped.  This was strongly suspected a few weeks ago, but it looks confirmed now. 

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/06/politics/mar-a-lago-it-worker/index.html

Its stuff like this that makes it hard to identify who is being targeted in several of these federal cases. For all we know there are even more people out there who have not had charges filed against them for the same reason this guy had.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Yeah that’s your worst nightmare in this field. Doing your job and ending up in the middle of an indictment. 

at least he’s smart enough to understand he gets no favors for continuing to work for trump or show loyalty. 

he’s lucky he’s getting out without charges. 

very early in my career I was asked to destroy backups by someone. Conflicted - I went to my boss. The advice he gave me was to back up the backup tapes - then destroy them. Nothing ever came of it but the situation developed in a shady way and we didn’t want to put ourselves at risk. 

Had other instances where there were requests and the answer was - you can do that, but I won’t. 

You can get drug into the **** quickly if you’re not paying attention. 

• Thumb up 2

39 minutes ago, tshile said:

Yeah that’s your worst nightmare in this field. Doing your job and ending up in the middle of an indictment. 

at least he’s smart enough to understand he gets no favors for continuing to work for trump or show loyalty. 

he’s lucky he’s getting out without charges. 

very early in my career I was asked to destroy backups by someone. Conflicted - I went to my boss. The advice he gave me was to back up the backup tapes - then destroy them. Nothing ever came of it but the situation developed in a shady way and we didn’t want to put ourselves at risk. 

Had other instances where there were requests and the answer was - you can do that, but I won’t. 

You can get drug into the **** quickly if you’re not paying attention. 

Always ask for the orders in writing and make local copies that are under your control.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

One time a client that I was assigned through an agency refused to pay the agency because they said that I produced a proposal that was technically noncompliant. I took the assignment as a favor and it fit into a time slot before I was going to manage a big proposal effort, so I explained that I was available for a limited time and gave the date.

This client tried many ways to lie about their experience with past performance contracts the whole time I was there. And worked on the draft and with the client to improve the past performance and technical responses without lying. There was a week extension to the due date that went beyond my stated schedule. When I left, the proposal was technically compliant. The client had an entire week to mess with the draft before submission.

The agency sued the client and I had to give a deposition. Before I left the client site, I downloaded my emails and a copy of the proposal. Thank goodness I did because I had to bring copies of all electronic communications. I included the copy of the proposal I had. Of course all of these things were time stamped and showed that I didn't edit anything after I left. I was under oath when I testified as to events.

The case didn't go to trial, the client settled.  It helps to be truthful and turn over what they want. Granted this was a civil case but criminal cases apply.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

On 8/26/2023 at 12:39 AM, China said:

I just realized he's scheduled to give a deposition on September 6th in the defamation case he brought against Michael Cohen.  The question is, will he show or will he drop the case before then?

I didn't see any news on this.  I'm guessing Trump didn't show up for his deposition?