Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Convicted felon Donald Trump on Trial (Found guilty on 34 felony counts. 54 criminal count still in the air)

Cooked Crack

Will Trump be convicted in any of his cases?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Will Trump be convicted in any of his cases?

• Yes. He's going 4 for 4. (including Georgia)
    • He's going to lose 3
    • Two for sure
    • He's only going to get convicted in one
    • No. He's going to skate

This poll is closed to new votes

In the wake of a federal indictment accusing former President Donald Trump of attempting to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election, Americans 54 - 42 percent think Trump should be prosecuted on criminal charges, according to a Quinnipiac (KWIN-uh-pe-ack) University national poll released today. Democrats (95 - 5 percent) and independents (57 - 37 percent) think the former president should be prosecuted on criminal charges for allegedly attempting to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election, while Republicans (85 - 12 percent) think Trump should not be prosecuted. The poll was conducted from August 10th through August 14th.

Nearly 7 in 10 Americans (68 percent) think that if a person is convicted of a felony, they should not still be eligible to be president of the United States, while 23 percent think a person should still be eligible.  Democrats (82 - 15 percent), independents (67 - 25 percent), and Republicans (58 - 29 percent) agree if a person is convicted of a felony, they should not still be eligible to be president.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Internet Responds After Marjorie Taylor Greene Says Trump Prosecutor Should Be Going After Rapists

Far-right House Republican Marjorie Taylor Greene is facing widespread ridicule, Marjorie Taylor Greene after calling on Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis to go after rapists.

The Georgia representative on Tuesday voiced her grievances against Fani Willis for prosecuting Donald Trump on racketeering charges related to the 2020 election, suggesting that Willis should shift her focus to pursuing rapists instead. (Watch the video below.)

However, to a multitude of observers on various social media platforms, it appeared that this was precisely what the Fulton County district attorney was already engaged in.

Click on the link for the full story

• Haha 7

19 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

I keep thinking that based on the previous behavior we've seen, the cops ought to have gotten wiretap orders for those folks, in anticipation of death threats and such. 

And first threatening phone caller gets a knock on the door hours after the threat. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Holy sh*t

I was on a criminal jury in Illinois last year and getting a hold of our personal information would've been really difficult. The lawyers only ever knew us by our juror numbers-- the only time my name was ever used was on the jury duty check we got every day.  I know it's a grand jury and a different state, but there needs to be some serious inquiry how personal information of jurors got in the hands of whoever posted it on those rightwing sites.

(It's doable-- in my case, a friend of the defendant could've followed me to my car, but they'd either need to follow me home or have someone run my plates-- it would've been a fairly obvious paper trail either way).

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

9 minutes ago, balki1867 said:

Holy sh*t

I was on a criminal jury in Illinois last year and getting a hold of our personal information would've been really difficult. The lawyers only ever knew us by our juror numbers-- the only time my name was ever used was on the jury duty check we got every day.  I know it's a grand jury and a different state, but there needs to be some serious inquiry how personal information of jurors got in the hands of whoever posted it on those rightwing sites.

(It's doable-- in my case, a friend of the defendant could've followed me to my car, but they'd either need to follow me home or have someone run my plates-- it would've been a fairly obvious paper trail either way).

Evidently their names are in the indictment. Scary stuff.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2023/08/15/fulton-county-jurors-names-public-threats-trump/

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 2

12 minutes ago, balki1867 said:

Holy sh*t

The federal courts system use a software developed by the government for tracking and selecting Jurors that allows a Judge to anonymize them for a particular case in the software itself, which is incredibly difficult to undo by anyone except who they told to do it (I don't feel comfortable speaking because of my job to how I know that, but I know for a fact it's true).

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, @DCGoldPants said:

This is their modus operandi, and will continue to be until people die:

Georgia State Sen. Elena Parent on Donald Trump's New Indictments

Georgia state Sen. Elena Parent, a Democrat, was in the room when Rudy Giuliani, John Eastman, and former President Donald Trump’s legal team came before a Georgia Senate hearing in December 2020 to share their allegations of fraud with Georgia’s state elections regulators.

That “hearing” lasted almost seven hours and was chaired by former Republican state Sen. William Ligon. Essentially, Trump’s legal team said that Georgia’s election results needed to be thrown out.

It was a hearing of wild tales of conspiracy, with Trump’s team offering statements of support from who they said were “experts” on voter fraud. Among the accusations were that Georgia's voting machines were useless, that scores of absentee ballots were dubiously cast and counted, and that the Republican-controlled legislature needed to appoint its own slate of electors for Trump.

And this is the hearing where Giuliani said vote counters Roby Freeman and her daughter Shaye Moss were passing clandestine USB cords to each other like “vials of cocaine or heroin.” Moss explained during the January 6 committee hearings that it was ginger mints and not USB cords.

During Eastman’s far-fetched testimony, full of utter fantasies about the election, Parent dared to call him out. “So, correct me if I’m wrong here. Your argument is that essentially, we have a failed election that would require the legislature to step in and assign electors. Am I correct?”

That day, after the hearings, she tweeted, "I publicly questioned the validity of [Donald Trump's] fraud allegations. Since then, I've received a torrent of abuse, attacks & death threats. It's time to ask ourselves, 'Is this who we are? Is this who we want to be?'"

One far-right internet site posted photos of Parent and misidentified her as an election worker. It asked users to vote on what form of punishment she should receive. The most common responses called for sexual violence to be committed against Parent and/or her execution.

“It’s really scary and very strange because I didn’t do anything that I wouldn’t have done or haven’t done in any other hearing for these years I’ve been a senator,” she said at the time.

After her comments at the hearing, she received additional police protection at her home.

Click on the link for the full article

• Thumb down 1

Trump ally mocked reporter's purported ignorance of Georgia law — now she's been indicted

An ally of former President Donald Trump once mocked Politico legal affairs reporter Kyle Cheney for his supposed ignorance of Georgia state law — but now she's facing criminal charges for her efforts in trying to overturn Trump's 2020 loss in the Peach State.

As Cheney documents on Twitter, he sent an email in November 2020 to Cathy Latham, the former Coffee County GOP chair and fake Trump elector.

In the email, Cheney asked Latham about the proposed fake electors scheme that at the time was in the early stages of being hatched by the former president's allies.

Latham responded to Cheney's email with derision.

"Bahahaha," she wrote. "You think I'm going to respond to you? You don't know GA law. Read the Constitution."

It seems, however, that Latham might have wanted to do some brushing up on Georgia law because Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis on Monday charged her over her alleged role in helping pro-Trump operatives breach voting machines in Coffee County, Georgia.

Click on the link for the full story

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

Trump’s Georgia Lawyer Donated to Fani Willis’ DA Campaign

DREW FINDLING HAS a storied history within the Georgia legal world. The high-profile Atlanta attorney is known for representing celebrity clients like Cardi B, Migos’ Offset, DaBaby, and NBA Youngboy, garnering him the moniker #BillionDollarLawyer. 

Findling has also been a frequent backer of Democratic political figures, so much so that in 2020 he donated to Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis’ primary campaign. The donation wouldn’t normally raise eyebrows, except that Findling is currently one of Donald Trump’s lead attorneys helping the former president fight RICO charges handed down by Willis on Monday. 

Findling donated $1,440 to Willis’ district attorney bid in July of 2020, according to campaign disclosure reports flagged by American Bridge 21st Century, a Democratic research outfit. Findling joined Trump’s legal team in August of last year. 

Edited by China
  • Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Trump reneged on 'handshake agreement' to pay lawyers pushing false election claims: report

Four of former President Donald Trump's legal advisers listed as unidentified co-conspirators in United States Justice Department special counsel Jack Smith's criminal indictment for the alleged conspiracy to overturn the 2020 election were never paid "despite the fact that their lawsuits and false claims of election interference helped the Trump campaign and allied committees raise $250 million in the weeks following the November vote," CNBC's Brian Schwartz reports.

"Trump has a long history of not paying his bills," Schwarts writes, noting one of the people that he "stiffed" was Rudy Giuliani, the ex-New York City mayor who was Trump's personal defense counsel and a long-time personal friend.

"Trump and Giuliani had a handshake agreement that Giuliani and his team would get paid by the Trump political operation for their post-election work, according to Timothy Parlatore, an attorney for longtime Giuliani ally Bernard Kerik," Schwartz says. "But the Trump campaign and their affiliated committees ultimately did not honor that pledge, according to campaign finance records. The failure to pay Giuliani and his team came up last week in a private interview between prosecutors on special counsel Jack Smith's team and Bernard Kerik, a member of Giuliani's team in late 2020, according to Parlatore."

Schwartz recalls that "Federal Election Commission records and testimony from the House January 6th Select Committee hearings reveal that none of the private sector lawyers identified -- but not indicted -- in that case got paid for their post-election work: Not Sidney Powell, Kenneth Chesebro or John Eastman."

• Haha 4

Will we get a 5th round of indictments?

Gov. Hobbs says Arizona should press charges against Donald Trump over 2020 election

Gov. Katie Hobbs said Tuesday that Arizona should press charges against former president Donald Trump over potential election interference in the 2020 election.

Hobbs told reporters at an event in Phoenix that Arizona Attorney General Kris Mayes should follow suit with Georgia, which indicted Trump on Monday.

“Absolutely. I have been an advocate for holding folks involved in trying to overturn the will of the voters in the 2020 election accountable and this is part of that process,” Hobbs, a Democrat, said.

Trump and 18 allies were indicted in Georgia over their efforts to overturn his 2020 election loss in the state, with prosecutors using a statute normally associated with mobsters to accuse the former president, lawyers and other aides of a “criminal enterprise” to keep him in power.

In case you are wondering, they are investigating. This from a month ago:

Arizona escalates probe into alleged efforts to swing election for Trump

Arizona’s top prosecutor is ramping up a criminal investigation into alleged attempts by Republicans to overturn the 2020 presidential election results in the state by signing and transmitting paperwork falsely declaring Donald Trump the winner, according to two people familiar with the investigation.

Arizona Attorney General Kris Mayes (D) assigned a team of prosecutors to the case in May, and investigators have contacted many of the pro-Trump electors and their lawyers, according to the two people, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to candidly describe the probe. Investigators have requested records and other information from local officials who administered the 2020 election, the two people said, and a prosecutor has inquired about evidence collected by the Justice Department and an Atlanta-area prosecutor for similar probes.

It is unclear if the investigation will broaden into other attempts to undermine President Biden’s victory in the state, including a pressure campaign by Trump and his allies to thwart the will of voters and remain in office.

Dan Barr, Mayes’s chief deputy, said the investigation is in the “fact-gathering” phase. He declined to say whether subpoenas have been issued and which state statutes the team thinks might have been broken.

• Haha 2