Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

Good point to be fair. Quinn did specifically mention our cap position in the introductory presser, in a round about way, saying about preserving space for later years being an option he has considered.

I went through our depth chart the other day and I really think there are 25-26 "roster locks" and another 4-5 likely guys. Then the rest under contract are camp bodies/back of the roster types like Christian Holmes. I include guys like Andre Jones and KJ Henry as "roster locks" FWIW (they pretty much are because they're the only two DEs under contract).

That leaves about 23 roster spots open to be filled. We currently have 9 picks. Even if we added 1-2 ... and let's say we were able to draft 11 guys in the end ... AND we rostered 2-3 UDFAs ... which would be a high number most years ... you're looking at 12-14 rookies.

That leaves another 9-11 players that need to be added to the 53 via free agency and that's even IF you are able to justify rostering 12 rookies. Not all draft picks could/will stick necessarily. 

So we've got to bring in a lot of players. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I went through our depth chart the other day and I really think there are 25-26 "roster locks" and another 4-5 likely guys. Then the rest under contract are camp bodies/back of the roster types like Christian Holmes. I include guys like Andre Jones and KJ Henry as "roster locks" FWIW (they pretty much are because they're the only two DEs under contract).

That leaves about 23 roster spots open to be filled. We currently have 9 picks. Even if we added 1-2 ... and let's say we were able to draft 11 guys in the end ... AND we rostered 2-3 UDFAs ... which would be a high number most years ... you're looking at 12-14 rookies.

That leaves another 9-11 players that need to be added to the 53 via free agency and that's even IF you are able to justify rostering 12 rookies. Not all draft picks could/will stick necessarily. 

Would it be too much to ask you who you think the 23 guys will be that won't be here? I'm just curious. I think you have enough here for a new thread so we can all discuss?

54 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Would it be too much to ask you who you think the 23 guys will be that won't be here? I'm just curious. I think you have enough here for a new thread so we can all discuss?

We have 49 players currently under contract for 2024, which includes futures contract guys/long shots for the roster:

Likely to make the roster: 29

Likely to be cut: 1*

Bubble Players: 6

Likely camp bodies that won't sniff the 53: 13

*only put down Logan Thomas here as he's the most obvious - Leno, Wylie, Gates could all fall into this category but for this exercise, I'm being conservative and Thomas seems the most likely to go regardless due to contract/injury/impact

Offense: 15

QB: Howell (1)

RB: Robinson, Rodriguez (2)

WR: McLaurin, Brown, Dotson (3)

OT: Leno, Daniels, Wylie (3)

OG: Paul, Cosmi (2)

OC: Gates, Stromberg (2)

TE: Bates, Turner (2)

Defense: 12

DE: Henry, Jones (2)

DT: Allen, Payne, Mathis, Ridgeway (4)

LB: Davis (1)

CB: St-Juste, Forbes, Martin (3)

SS: ____ (0)

FS: Forrest, Butler (2)

Special Teams: (2)

K: ___ (0)

P: Way (1)

LS: Addington (1)

QB Fromm, WR Tinsley, WR Milne, LB Cox, CB Holmes, CB Castro-Fields

Cut Candidates: 1

TE Logan Thomas

Not likely to make 53: 13

OT Akingbulu, RG Good-Jones, TE Rogers, TE Dillon, RB Gore, DE Harris, DE Pryor, DT Benning, DT Bada, DT Brooks, LB Harris, CB Whiteside, CB Kelly

If anything this exercise exhibits how absolutely thin AND depleted the roster is. We need a LOT of help, and depth at LB, CB, Safety, DE ... not to mention the OL, WR, RB, TE and QB are very thin as well. 

You typically carry 5 safeties, 5 CBs, 4 LBs, 4 DEs at a minimum (18 roster spots) and we currently have 8 guys under contract that are likely to make the roster: Henry, Jones (both late round 2nd year guys), Forrest, Butler, St. Juste, Forbes, Martin, and Jamin Davis (final year of contract). 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 6
  • Thumb up 1

45 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

We have 49 players currently under contract for 2024, which includes futures contract guys/long shots for the roster:

Likely to make the roster: 29

Likely to be cut: 1*

Likely camp bodies that won't sniff the 53: 13

*only put down Logan Thomas here as he's the most obvious - Leno, Wylie, Gates could all fall into this category but for this exercise, I'm being conservative and Thomas seems the most likely to go regardless due to contract/injury/impact

Offense: 15

QB: Howell (1)

RB: Robinson, Rodriguez (2)

WR: McLaurin, Brown, Dotson (3)

OT: Leno, Daniels, Wylie (3)

OG: Paul, Cosmi (2)

OC: Gates, Stromberg (2)

TE: Bates, Turner (2)

Defense: 12

DE: Henry, Jones (2)

DT: Allen, Payne, Mathis, Ridgeway (4)

LB: Davis (1)

CB: St-Juste, Forbes, Martin (3)

SS: ____ (0)

FS: Forrest, Butler (2)

Special Teams: (2)

K: ___ (0)

P: Way (1)

LS: Addington (1)

QB Fromm, WR Tinsley, WR Milne, LB Cox, CB Holmes, CB Castro-Fields

Cut Candidates: 1

TE Logan Thomas

Not likely to make 53: 13

OT Akingbulu, RG Good-Jones, TE Rogers, TE Dillon, RB Gore, DE Harris, DE Pryor, DT Benning, DT Bada, DT Brooks, LB Harris, CB Whiteside, CB Kelly

If anything this exercise exhibits how absolutely thin AND depleted the roster is. We need a LOT of help, and depth at LB, CB, Safety, DE ... not to mention the OL, WR, RB, TE and QB are very thin as well. 

You typically carry 5 safeties, 5 CBs, 4 LBs, 4 DEs at a minimum (18 roster spots) and we currently have 8 guys under contract that are likely to make the roster: Henry, Jones (both late round 2nd year guys), Forrest, Butler, St. Juste, Forbes, Martin, and Jamin Davis (final year of contract). 

You cut Joey Slye?

https://theathletic.com/5255970/2024/02/08/washington-commanders-unrestricted-free-agents/?source=emp-shared-article

A good read on our FAs from Standig. He makes the case for bringing back Smith-Williams (spot starter with run stopping prowess) and Toohill at DE on short term low deals. Refers to lack of depth. He also mentioned Khaleke Hudson and Jeremy Reaves as guys that can be brought back cheap and match what the new regime may be looking for. Also mentions Corn Lucas and Brissett being options to come back. 

Advocates for letting Curl, Samuel, Fuller walk. 

Mentions drafting a CB on Day 2 and targeting a bigger WR fairly early, as well as OT in R2. And also mentions Stromberg as the likely starter at Center and Gates sticking because of minimal cap savings via a cut 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

https://theathletic.com/5255970/2024/02/08/washington-commanders-unrestricted-free-agents/?source=emp-shared-article

A good read on our FAs from Standig. He makes the case for bringing back Smith-Williams (spot starter with run stopping prowess) and Toohill at DE on short term low deals. Refers to lack of depth. He also mentioned Khaleke Hudson and Jeremy Reaves as guys that can be brought back cheap and match what the new regime may be looking for. Also mentions Corn Lucas and Brissett being options to come back. 

Our heads are gonna be spinning once free agency and the draft talk heats up....it really does feel like a different organization now with all of the admin and coaching changes. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Mentions drafting a CB on Day 2 and targeting a bigger WR fairly early, as well as OT in R2. And also mentions Stromberg as the likely starter at Center and Gates sticking because of minimal cap savings via a cut 

I can see most of those players mentioned. Reaves should be a no brainer. Brissett feels right if they want a vet to match with a young #2 pick QB. Wouldn't Hudson cost over a million to bring back? I am not certain he is worth it. I guess they will need to figure if he really fits the new scheme.

I  want OL WR TE LB and DB after they grab the early QB

1 minute ago, DWinzit said:

I can see most of those players mentioned. Reaves should be a no brainer. Brissett feels right if they want a vet to match with a young #2 pick QB. Wouldn't Hudson cost over a million to bring back? I am not certain he is worth it. I guess they will need to figure if he really fits the new scheme.

I  want OL WR TE LB and DB after they grab the early QB

I'm sorta hoping we nab an OL and LB in free agency. Maybe even a TE. 

For me, OL is the priority after the first round. Maybe WR as well given the talent in the draft but he'll need to be a big boy.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bird_1972 said:

I'm sorta hoping we nab an OL and LB in free agency. Maybe even a TE. 

For me, OL is the priority after the first round. Maybe WR as well given the talent in the draft but he'll need to be a big boy.

Yeah i see them hitting OL and LB a couple times in FA and in the draft.  I would like a OL early 2nd round with LB a round or two later,

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I think we’ll get a better view on this in a few weeks time once Peters/Quinn have reviewed the rosters/impending free agents. We’ll have many more hold overs than you are predicting IMO. 

Another area I expect better coverage in is the UDFA market.

9 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

You cut Joey Slye?

I actually hope we draft a kicker.

• Haha 1

Reading about Quinn's defense, Kyle Dugger strikes me as a dude who likely is up his alley.   He's sort of a higher end and younger Jaylon Smith type.

He seems to rely on his underneath players to be able to stop the run because of how much he goes dime and nickel

McKinney is still my guy at S.  But Dugger would be intriguing in this scheme.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Reading about Quinn's defense, Kyle Dugger strikes me as a dude who likely is up his alley.   He's sort of a higher end and younger Jaylon Smith type.

He seems to rely on his underneath players to be able to stop the run because of how much he goes dime and nickel

McKinney is still my guy at S.  But Dugger would be intriguing in this scheme.

Yep, Dugger is the guy I hope we go after. Along with CB Ahkello Witherspoon and LB Jordyn Brooks.

The Quinn link with all of those Dallas FA’s likes brings a couple of those into the mix, I’d say anyway.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Yep, Dugger is the guy I hope we go after. Along with CB Ahkello Witherspoon and LB Jordyn Brooks.

The Quinn link with all of those Dallas FA’s likes brings a couple of those into the mix, I’d say anyway.

The more I dive into this FA class, the more I think its a good class for us.  Multiple good options at safety, LB, Edge.  Even O line is at least OK. 

Reading about Quinn's defense I'd say for certain edge will be fixed in FA.  No way we go with jags on the edge.  Some of these guys break the bank in FA but often some guys don't get big dough for whatever reason.  It's been a sneaky thing now for years that FA is a goldmine for the edge spot.

I am guessing Burns get franchised. Josh Allen, too.  Maybe Hunter, too.  But plenty of fish in the sea.  Greenard is enticing he's younger than Sweat. 

• Like 2

The new FO and coaching staff have their work cut out for them.  There are holes everywhere.  Thirty-two (32) years of mostly mediocre to atrocious teams is a lot to overcome.  Optimism has been beaten out of me.  I simply can't imagine future greatness.  They are going to have to take me by the hand and show me.  I appreciate others' optimism, but I'm just not there yet.  A successful free agency, draft (especially at QB), and development of players feels virtually impossible.

My Washington PTSD is real.  Is there real optimism out there or just another year of blind faith?

43 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The more I dive into this FA class, the more I think its a good class for us.  Multiple good options at safety, LB, Edge.  Even O line is at least OK. 

Reading about Quinn's defense I'd say for certain edge will be fixed in FA.  No way we go with jags on the edge.  Some of these guys break the bank in FA but often some guys don't get big dough for whatever reason.  It's been a sneaky thing now for years that FA is a goldmine for the edge spot.

I am guessing Burns get franchised. Josh Allen, too.  Maybe Hunter, too.  But plenty of fish in the sea.  Greenard is enticing he's younger than Sweat. 

This EDGE class is indeed deep. You get what you pay for with a bunch of these guys. Greenard missed a lot of games. Huff can’t defend the run. Clowney has a troublesome knee. Smith is old. Not saying don’t sign any of these guys but go eyes wide in, which I’m sure they’ll do

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd be stunned if we didn't use FA for EDGE and LB.  PK has some very good options too.  

Not sure where else to post this, but this was all interesting to me and I think helps give an analytics-focused sense for where we need to improve vs. the rest of the league heading into FA/draft (and how much coaching held us back):

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cakmoney61 said:

The new FO and coaching staff have their work cut out for them.  There are holes everywhere.  Thirty-two (32) years of mostly mediocre to atrocious teams is a lot to overcome.  Optimism has been beaten out of me.  I simply can't imagine future greatness.  They are going to have to take me by the hand and show me.  I appreciate others' optimism, but I'm just not there yet.  A successful free agency, draft (especially at QB), and development of players feels virtually impossible.

My Washington PTSD is real.  Is there real optimism out there or just another year of blind faith?

If you are expecting winning immediately, then you will be disappointed.

It’s going to take about 3 years of drafts and free agency to build a contender. We also have to hit on qb.

After looking at last year’s tape; they will find just how devoid of talent we really are.

• Like 2

Queen would be redundant with Davis. Both are the same type of player. Queen struggled early before breaking out once they got Roquan Smith. If we go after a LB it needs to be a true green dot captain of the defense MLB type. 

• Like 6
  • Thumb up 1

20 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Queen would be redundant with Davis. Both are the same type of player. Queen struggled early before breaking out once they got Roquan Smith. If we go after a LB it needs to be a true green dot captain of the defense MLB type. 

Davis has decent numbers but Queen is the better player and leader.  Team them up and see if it elevates Davis's game to Queen's.  We need a MLB in the worst way though.