Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

7 hours ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

Is it possible to get both Josh Allen & Danielle Hunter?

But then we would be in the same asset allocation mess we just got out of.  Sign one, draft another, and let Henry and Jones try to win the other spot.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Am I the only one who would like to take a long hard look at Saquon if he becomes available?

Adam peters went out and got McCaffrey and Ben johnson got gibbs last year.

Having an electric back with good hands could potentially take a lot of pressure off a rookie quarterback. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, redskinss said:

Am I the only one who would like to take a long hard look at Saquon if he becomes available?

Adam peters went out and got McCaffrey and Ben johnson got gibbs last year.

Having an electric back with good hands could potentially take a lot of pressure off a rookie quarterback. 

Maybe things changed for him but last year he supposedly wanted 14 million a year.  for me even at 10 million a year, no thanks

• Thumb up 2

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Maybe things changed for him but last year he supposedly wanted 14 million a year.  for me even at 10 million a year, no thanks

Yeah the running back market is certainly depressed but I sense a slight shift in the near future back towards them getting paid a little more.

I know a top receiver is considered more valuable than a running back and I also understand the durability concerns of a guy Taking that kind of abuse and also the longevity or lack thereof of the position but when above average receivers are making 20 plus million a year you'd think elite running backs would be worth 14.

It seems kind of crazy to me not to take a gamble

Where would the 49ers be without McCaffrey?

10 to 15 years ago when the drew Brees and Tom Bradys of the world were torching defenses for 5 touchdowns and 450 yards a game running backs became a dime a dozen but it feels like there's been a little shift back towards running backs being valuable again in the last 5 years or so, we'll see but if mclaurin is worth almost 23 million a year I say give Barkley 14 million, when healthy he's easily worth it.

Edited by redskinss

15 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Yeah the running back market is certainly depressed but I sense a slight shift in the near future back towards them getting paid a little more.

I know a top receiver is considered more valuable than a running back and I also understand the durability concerns of a guy Taking that kind of abuse and also the longevity or lack thereof of the position but when above average receivers are making 20 plus million a year you'd think elite running backs would be worth 14.

It seems kind of crazy to me not to take a gamble

Where would the 49ers be without McCaffrey?

10 to 15 years ago when the drew Brees and Tom Bradys of the world were torching defenses for 5 touchdowns and 450 yards a game running backs became a dime a dozen but it feels like there's been a little shift back towards running backs being valuable again in the last 5 years or so, we'll see but if mclaurin is worth almost 23 million a year I say give Barkley 14 million, when healthy he's easily worth it.

Barkley is super overrated.  He's been a bad pass-protector and doesn't run with toughness inside.  He also has the injury history.  Save the money and go with B-Rob and develop Rodriguez.  Sign a cheap vet scat-back or draft one.

• Like 3

Niners traded for CMac when they were already good and needed that last piece to get over the hump. We aren’t at that stage yet, so it doesn’t make sense to spend resources on him.

Would rather draft a speed back in round 3 or 4.

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

13 hours ago, redskinss said:

I'd go for him....he'd be our McCaffery and we'd steal him from a division rival, wouldn't cost us any draft picks. He wants to win too, I hope we do bring in some names...

• Like 3
  • Thumb down 1

35 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I'd go for him....he'd be our McCaffery and we'd steal him from a division rival, wouldn't cost us any draft picks. He wants to win too, I hope we do bring in some names...

This message brought to you by the klwilkins thumbs down corporation. 

On a mission since 1977 to make sure you know you're wrong.

• Haha 9

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

I’m back and forth on it. If we don’t intend to go crazy at other positions in FA and we have the $$$, he would be nice to have for the development of a young QB. Otherwise, if his signing were to eliminate say an OL or any other big position of need I would pass. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mh86 said:

I’m back and forth on it. If we don’t intend to go crazy at other positions in FA and we have the $$$, he would be nice to have for the development of a young QB. Otherwise, if his signing were to eliminate say an OL or any other big position of need I would pass. 

Yeah it's definitely a luxury for a team in year one with new everything.

I think i just want to see some real blue chip playmakers so badly that I'm willing to overspend but it's likely not a smart decision. 

It's the reason I wanted Bijan robinson so badly last year.

• Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

I'd be fine with adding him if it won't break the bank.  But honestly, right now, I think we can still roll with B-Rob and take a pass cause he wasn't that far off in stats, at least for this past season.  

Saquon had 247 attempts, 962 yards, 6 TDs rushing and 41 receptions, 280 yards, 4 TDs compared to B-Robs 178 attempts, 733 yards, 5 TDs rushing and 36 receptions 368 yards, 4 TDs.

• Like 5

I get the appeal of giving a young qb both a receiving weapon and a quality running game, but a rebuilding team signing a running back to a monster deal is probably a terrible move.  I say probably because it’s possible he’s one of the outliers from what the analytics say.

• Like 3

On 1/26/2024 at 11:28 PM, HeHateMe75 said:

I'd be fine with adding him if it won't break the bank.  But honestly, right now, I think we can still roll with B-Rob and take a pass cause he wasn't that far off in stats, at least for this past season.  

Saquon had 247 attempts, 962 yards, 6 TDs rushing and 41 receptions, 280 yards, 4 TDs compared to B-Robs 178 attempts, 733 yards, 5 TDs rushing and 36 receptions 368 yards, 4 TDs.

Regardless, this is a 2 back league. If it aint Saquon, we need another starter caliber RB. Whether it's Saquon Barkley, Austin Ekeler or whoever. Rookie RB class looks weak. 

6 minutes ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

Regardless, this is a 2 back league. If it aint Saquon, we need another starter caliber RB. Whether it's Saquon Barkley, Austin Ekeler or whoever. Rookie RB class looks weak. 

You don't like the BRob-CRod tandem?

2 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

You don't like the BRob-CRod tandem?

I think some really want someone a bit more elusive. CRod and BRob are missing that shiftiness and breakaway speed. I like both of them on the team for the record.

• Like 1

Just now, mh86 said:

I think some really want someone a bit more elusive. CRod and BRob are missing that shiftiness and breakaway speed. I like both of them on the team for the record.

I want that homerun threat/receiving threat. Dont really care if that is a vet or rook.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, mh86 said:

BRob-CRod-Scat Back is my plan for the RB room next year.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, CommandB11 said:

I want that homerun threat/receiving threat. Dont really care if that is a vet or rook.

Thanks, that was the word I was missing. Homerun threat. We thought we were getting that with Gibson, but we only got that in his first year. I think BRob does great in the passing game, but he’s not a threat to take one to the house 

1 minute ago, CapsSkins said:

BRob-CRod-Scat Back is my plan for the RB room next year.

This would be ideal. I’d be okay with taking one in FA this year (1-2yr deal) and look to draft one next year.

On 1/26/2024 at 7:28 AM, redskinss said:

I want all FA $$ targeting Olineman as my priority.  They may not technically be mutually exclusive, but we are not a Saquon Barkley away from being good...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

That's cool, not saying we couldn't use another back.  But breaking the bank for one makes no sense. Also for the four teams in the conference championship games, KC is in the Super Bowl, they are a 1 back team, after Pacheco, the next leading rusher on the team is Mahomes.  Baltimore, it's Lamar then Gus Edwards.  49ers, its McCaffrey.  Detroit is Montgomery and Gibbs, the only team with two running backs in the top 20.  

So the argument that you need two featured backs cause it is a two back league is irrelevant, imo.

Edited by HeHateMe75
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, HeHateMe75 said:

That's cool, not saying we couldn't use another back.  But breaking the bank for one makes no sense. Also for the four teams in the conference championship games, KC is in the Super Bowl, they are a 1 back team, after Pacheco, the next leading rusher on the team is Mahomes.  Baltimore, it's Lamar then Gus Edwards.  49ers, its McCaffrey.  Detroit is Montgomery and Gibbs, the only team with two running backs in the top 20.  

So the argument that you need two featured backs cause it is a two back league is irrelevant, imo.

Agreed. 1 lead back to take the majority and a change of pace back for situations

15 hours ago, mh86 said:

Thanks, that was the word I was missing. Homerun threat. We thought we were getting that with Gibson, but we only got that in his first year. I think BRob does great in the passing game, but he’s not a threat to take one to the house 

This would be ideal. I’d be okay with taking one in FA this year (1-2yr deal) and look to draft one next year.

Brob did have a couple of catches, where he took off for 40 - 50 yards. I think one was a TD. I believe they were in the same game. His speed looked good on those plays. 

On 1/26/2024 at 8:57 AM, mac8887 said:

Is clowney a free agent at the end of the year? He has had a bit of a resurgence this year. It would be nice to have a proven veteran on the edge to go with our young guys.

Yes. He pretty much has just signed one year deals ever since leaving Texas after the 2018 season. Seattle, Tenn, Clev, Clev, Balt.

I don't see bringing him in on a one year deal helps us enough. Too many resources on an older one year mercenary is what you do when you are one or two steps from the big dance. I don't see Washington at that point for at least a year or two

Edited by DWinzit
  • Thumb up 1