Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

I think the idea that we won’t make impact signings because we have so much roster to fill out is silly. San Francisco was noted for taking big swings. In the draft and via trade and FA. I’d be stunned if we don’t make some impact signings. 

The conversation about QB in all of these threads so silly. I can’t believe the number of arm chair Rivera’s that want to be where their feet are and avoid taking a QB and build the team first.

I’d expect us, at a minimum, to sign an impact edge defender and to fortify the OL with the best available OT and interior guys they can. And it wouldn’t surprise me if we were super active. That’s the advantage of having a QB on a rookie contract. 

• Like 3

When does this thraed lock and the 2024 free agent tracker open?

I was just looking at possible free agents at the Tight End position, and tehre are a few names you will all recognize I'm sure, and Some which well won't be.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/tight-end/all/

Some taht jumped out t ome:

Hunter Hentry
Dalton Shultz
Mike Gesicki
Noah Fant
Austin Hooper
Robert Tonyan, Jr
Marcedes Lewis? Wow Sportstrac says he is 39 older than Jimmy Graham who's 37, and I was shocked to see his name as still playing.
Irv Smith 
Ross Dwelley (49er)
Kenny Yeboah
Drew Sample
and others

Several of these are between 29-low 30s so figure you get one contract out of them, but given we haven't gotten as much out of the TE production, something to consider as there aren't a lot of projected high TE draft picks, and even if we do draft one, it likely be day 3.

6 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

The conversation about QB in all of these threads so silly. I can’t believe the number of arm chair Rivera’s that want to be where their feet are and avoid taking a QB and build the team first.

The only FA QB I've thought about was Cousins, but a couple others to think about would be: Joe Flacco, if Tampa Bay doesn't retain Baker (gotta think they sign him though) 

But if Brisett is a FA and we don't retain him, we will need a veteran backup or two.  So if not Brisett, I'd consider the following:
Mason Rudolph
Trevor Siemian
A J McCarron
Nate Sudfeld
Josh Dobbs (although some team might make him a starter)
Gardner Minishew and Teddy Bridgewatter are on this last as is Sam Darnold (some articles last week suggested he might end up here.) Jameis WInston....

Just recall just because we sign a Vet QB or 2 doesn't mean we don't draft QB #2. 

20 hours ago, mhd24 said:

College basketball sucks dude.  There is no defense in college basketball.  Everyone just sucks because they can't hit shots or blow by anyone.  The offense is absolutely horrific and unwatchable in college.  They all stink.  The talent level is severely lacking in college.  

It is the biggest misconception that the NBA doesn't play defense.  Everyone plays defense.  It is just that everyone is super skilled out there.  It used to be that every team had goons who couldn't shoot at all.  Now, teams may one of those players (if that), and they played off the floor anyways.  

To me, the nba has gone way downhill since they stopped calling traveling.

I get they want high scores...but, they really ****ized the game. Reminds me of the NFL bending rules towards offense as well.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I think the idea that we won’t make impact signings because we have so much roster to fill out is silly. San Francisco was noted for taking big swings. In the draft and via trade and FA. I’d be stunned if we don’t make some impact signings. 

I’d expect us, at a minimum, to sign an impact edge defender and to fortify the OL with the best available OT and interior guys they can. And it wouldn’t surprise me if we were super active. That’s the advantage of having a QB on a rookie contract. 

I think SF has 7 guys who are the highest paid at their positions. We'll definitely swing big.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Veretax said:

When does this thraed lock and the 2024 free agent tracker open?

I was just looking at possible free agents at the Tight End position, and tehre are a few names you will all recognize I'm sure, and Some which well won't be.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/tight-end/all/

Some taht jumped out t ome:

Hunter Hentry
Dalton Shultz
Mike Gesicki
Noah Fant
Austin Hooper
Robert Tonyan, Jr
Marcedes Lewis? Wow Sportstrac says he is 39 older than Jimmy Graham who's 37, and I was shocked to see his name as still playing.
Irv Smith 
Ross Dwelley (49er)
Kenny Yeboah
Drew Sample
and others

Several of these are between 29-low 30s so figure you get one contract out of them, but given we haven't gotten as much out of the TE production, something to consider as there aren't a lot of projected high TE draft picks, and even if we do draft one, it likely be day 3.

The only FA QB I've thought about was Cousins, but a couple others to think about would be: Joe Flacco, if Tampa Bay doesn't retain Baker (gotta think they sign him though) 

But if Brisett is a FA and we don't retain him, we will need a veteran backup or two.  So if not Brisett, I'd consider the following:
Mason Rudolph
Trevor Siemian
A J McCarron
Nate Sudfeld
Josh Dobbs (although some team might make him a starter)
Gardner Minishew and Teddy Bridgewatter are on this last as is Sam Darnold (some articles last week suggested he might end up here.) Jameis WInston....

Just recall just because we sign a Vet QB or 2 doesn't mean we don't draft QB #2. 

on the TE list and a guy who was really good in Miami but for whatever reason really didn't do anything in NE this past season is Mike Gesicki, I think he's a guy who in terms of price could be a bit cheaper compared to a Shultz (who I think resigns w/Texans anyhow) and as far the back up QB's are concerned depending on the new HC or OC I actually wouldn't mind bringing in Sam Darnold specially over any of those mentioned names except for Brisett (who is my 1st choice) or Minshew,  but again I could see him resigning w/Colts cause Anthony Richardson style of play calls for alot of missed games imho and they need someone like Gardner who knows that Offense like the back of his hand

Edited by Command The 414
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

There are some pretty solid TE options in FA. I think we’ll definitely go for one of them since the TE draft class is awful after Bowers.

TE free agency class looks awful. Looking for Peters to pull a mid round gem out of the hat.

2 hours ago, Command The 414 said:

on the TE list and a guy who was really good in Miami but for whatever reason really didn't do anything in NE this past season is Mike Gesicki, I think he's a guy who in terms of price could be a bit cheaper compared to a Shultz (who I think resigns w/Texans anyhow) and as far the back up QB's are concerned depending on the new HC or OC I actually wouldn't mind bringing in Sam Darnold specially over any of those mentioned names except for Brisett (who is my 1st choice) or Minshew,  but again I could see him resigning w/Colts cause Anthony Richardson style of play calls for alot of missed games imho and they need someone like Gardner who knows that Offense like the back of his hand

The only name I'd also consider is Mason Rudolph, but there's a chance Pittsburgh Retains him.

5 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

TE free agency class looks awful. Looking for Peters to pull a mid round gem out of the hat.

I think it looks mid, its not a lot of elite guys, but these guys are likely better than everyone we have except for Logan Thomas, who I anticipate being a cut.

As for the draft, I think there are a few good tight ends.  The issue is not whether there are tight ends in the draft.  There is only 1 First round worthy TE in bowers, who we won't take due to more pressing concerns, and then after the Ohio State fellow, you have 3-5 solid mid rd 3-5 Pick worthy guys, after that It's likely a crap shoot.  There aren't enough Tight Ends coming out to rely on picking up someone there so we need to add someone in Free agency.  TO ensure we have what we need I think

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I bet we land Kirk this offseason and use the 2nd pick for more draft capital.

I bet Kirk signs in Atlanta with Belichick. Cousins and Belichick are in Win-Now Mode and Atlanta is a HC & QB away.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Especially if it’s Ben Johnson I’d consider rolling the dice on Noah Fant.  He’s just been OK. But has some talent that a good coach might maximize. TEs can take time. It took Engram some time to emerge 

I thought the knock on Fant is he can't block? Johnson has talked about the importance of TEs as blockers and not just glorified WR. That said, TEs do often break out later in their careers so perhaps he can develop blocking ability. 

30 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

I thought the knock on Fant is he can't block? Johnson has talked about the importance of TEs as blockers and not just glorified WR. That said, TEs do often break out later in their careers so perhaps he can develop blocking ability. 

I am the one who posted that Ben Johnson article so I am aware.

But yeah supposedly Fant has grown as a blocker, his blocking score is in the 70s from PFF. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thumb up 1

54 minutes ago, randyjohnson said:

After watching playoff football I am more convinced than ever that we need a TE! Amazing how helpful they are!

This was the draft class to get one. So many good ones. But we took a 160 pound CB. Sighhhhh

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

45 minutes ago, CommandB11 said:

And an oline that holds up forever.

You realize part of what helps the OL hold up so well is that Johnson calls run and pass plays from the same formations and personnel so often—including passing often on 1st down, often using play action—that the D doesn’t know what’s coming at all, and has to hesitate half a second every single play? They can’t just tee off on the QB. Heavy use of motion and play action helps that massively as well. The OL is talented but a ton is being done schematically to maximize the talent they have and protect the QB. Those same tactics can help a less talented OL immensely until we obtain that sort of talent. 

The opposite of the EB experience. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

This was the draft class to get one. So many good ones. But we took a 160 pound CB. Sighhhhh

No, you don’t seem to understand. We had Logan Thomas, Cole Turner, Bates and some random UDFAs, we were all set at TE, so no need to try and upgrade at all.

Also, all of those stud TEs in the draft only play one position. We drafted guys who can be mediocre at multiple positions on the oline. Position flex!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, randyjohnson said:

After watching playoff football I am more convinced than ever that we need a TE! Amazing how helpful they are!

We had to lose the battle to win the war.  If we had Kincaid or Laporta, we might have won a couple of more games and been totally out of the top QB market.  

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

We had to lose the battle to win the war.  If we had Kincaid or Laporta, we might have won a couple of more games and been totally out of the top QB market.  

Plus Ron was too dumb to see what his roster needed. And to your point, Forbes did the best he could to make us draft high.

Edited by rumplestilskin

8 hours ago, mhd24 said:

It would have given us another really good weapon for a new QB. Also one less hole in the lineup for the coming years.

We would still only being picking at 6 or 7 still leaving us in the hunt for a top QB, even if it meant a slight trade up. 

And how positively could a Laporta have affected Howell's play last year?