Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

52 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Cosmi was actually a bright spot last weekend.

I can believe it. I don't doubt that Cosmi is personally better at guard than OT. But has it improved the line by letting letting Cosmi shine while Wylie turns RT into a turnstile? With all the talk over the season that Wylie would be better suited as a guard - I doubt it, but this clearly isn't working either -, I'd rather have seen Wylie at RG and Cosmi back at OT for the rest of the season until we acquire an actual OT to play. Sucks that Lucas is seemingly in witness protection.

15 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

I can believe it. I don't doubt that Cosmi is personally better at guard than OT. But has it improved the line by letting letting Cosmi shine while Wylie turns RT into a turnstile? With all the talk over the season that Wylie would be better suited as a guard - I doubt it, but this clearly isn't working either -, I'd rather have seen Wylie at RG and Cosmi back at OT for the rest of the season until we acquire an actual OT to play. Sucks that Lucas is seemingly in witness protection.

I think having a good player at a position outweights just fixing a hole of a bad one. We move Cosmi to RT and we're creating a hole at RG. At least now we have a RG who appears to be at least pretty good.

• Like 3

Give us the name of this year's Jalen Ramsey -- the star veteran who could get traded before 2024 free agency opens in March.

Graziano: Davante Adams is the obvious one to me. Even if the interim guys keep the jobs (which is possible), the Raiders are going to have a different coach and GM than they had when they acquired Adams and signed him to a contract extension. One of the reasons the star receiver went there was to play with quarterback Derek Carr, who's no longer there.

Adams has played the good soldier and not requested a trade, but I do think there's a strong chance he gets to the offseason and he and/or the team decide it's best to move on. Whether that means he ends up in New Orleans with Carr or New York with old buddy Aaron Rodgers or somewhere else entirely, the acquiring team would have to pay him $16.89 million guaranteed next season, and the Raiders would take on a dead money cap hit of around $23 million.

Fowler: I'll go Jonathan Allen. Washington's Pro Bowl defensive tackle is not overly eager to withstand another rebuild, and I've heard that has been the case for a while now. Teams called on Allen's availability at the trade deadline, but Washington wasn't interested. It's probably worth the Commanders -- who could strip things down to the studs with a new coach and general manager pairing -- looking into his value. His salary of $14 million (cap hit of $21.5 million) is reasonable for a player of his caliber.

Graziano: For sure. A lot of potential changes there in Washington. I'm going to stick with the wide receiver position, though, and mention a few more possibilities: Stefon Diggs, Brandon Aiyuk and Tee Higgins. Diggs' situation in Buffalo could depend a lot on the way the rest of the Bills' season goes, as he has had some well-publicized issues with the way things have worked there over the past year and could -- if they have another disappointing finish -- decide he'd rather be elsewhere. Aiyuk is a brilliant talent whom the 49ers would love to keep, but he's due for a contract extension, and they can't keep everyone. Higgins didn't get the extension he was looking for this offseason, and while he's a strong candidate for a franchise tag, he also could be on the move if the Bengals were to get a lot in return.

Fowler: All good calls. Higgins would have a strong market on a tag-and-trade scenario. He's 24 years old with No. 1 receiver traits.

Panthers edge rusher Brian Burns could also be a name to watch here. Contract talks fell apart, and there's a good chance the Panthers will franchise-tag him. If the sides continue to struggle to reach a deal, Carolina might be inclined to ship him to a contender, which I don't think he would mind all that much at this stage.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/insider/story/_/id/39149463/nfl-week-16-upset-prediction-buzz-fantasy-free-agents-trades

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Give us the name of this year's Jalen Ramsey -- the star veteran who could get traded before 2024 free agency opens in March.

Graziano: Davante Adams is the obvious one to me. Even if the interim guys keep the jobs (which is possible), the Raiders are going to have a different coach and GM than they had when they acquired Adams and signed him to a contract extension. One of the reasons the star receiver went there was to play with quarterback Derek Carr, who's no longer there.

Adams has played the good soldier and not requested a trade, but I do think there's a strong chance he gets to the offseason and he and/or the team decide it's best to move on. Whether that means he ends up in New Orleans with Carr or New York with old buddy Aaron Rodgers or somewhere else entirely, the acquiring team would have to pay him $16.89 million guaranteed next season, and the Raiders would take on a dead money cap hit of around $23 million.

Fowler: I'll go Jonathan Allen. Washington's Pro Bowl defensive tackle is not overly eager to withstand another rebuild, and I've heard that has been the case for a while now. Teams called on Allen's availability at the trade deadline, but Washington wasn't interested. It's probably worth the Commanders -- who could strip things down to the studs with a new coach and general manager pairing -- looking into his value. His salary of $14 million (cap hit of $21.5 million) is reasonable for a player of his caliber.

Graziano: For sure. A lot of potential changes there in Washington. I'm going to stick with the wide receiver position, though, and mention a few more possibilities: Stefon Diggs, Brandon Aiyuk and Tee Higgins. Diggs' situation in Buffalo could depend a lot on the way the rest of the Bills' season goes, as he has had some well-publicized issues with the way things have worked there over the past year and could -- if they have another disappointing finish -- decide he'd rather be elsewhere. Aiyuk is a brilliant talent whom the 49ers would love to keep, but he's due for a contract extension, and they can't keep everyone. Higgins didn't get the extension he was looking for this offseason, and while he's a strong candidate for a franchise tag, he also could be on the move if the Bengals were to get a lot in return.

Fowler: All good calls. Higgins would have a strong market on a tag-and-trade scenario. He's 24 years old with No. 1 receiver traits.

Panthers edge rusher Brian Burns could also be a name to watch here. Contract talks fell apart, and there's a good chance the Panthers will franchise-tag him. If the sides continue to struggle to reach a deal, Carolina might be inclined to ship him to a contender, which I don't think he would mind all that much at this stage.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/insider/story/_/id/39149463/nfl-week-16-upset-prediction-buzz-fantasy-free-agents-trades

I’d trade him for a second. Another casualty of the Snyder era. Can’t pay two DTs what we are paying; that money is better spent elsewhere. Continue to draft and develop and get cheaper and younger.

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

Brian Burns would be a nice addition. Doing that after trading sweat doesn't set great with me. Due to the offensive draft strengths we need to address the D via FA.

He’s going to be as much if not more than Sweat. Plus you don’t know what kind of guy he is. I dunno, that could sit the wrong way in the locker room too. Stinks of old Redskins ways. Play hard, become a great player, we trade you away and then buy someone else’s FA. 

But I do think we should spend some of that money in FA. I guess it depends on new GM and Coach, for all we know we could switch to a 3-4.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Add Payne, F1 to the mix as well.  These players will be at the end of the prime when this team is ready to fully compete.  Trade them too.  

9 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Add Payne, F1 to the mix as well.  These players will be at the end of the prime when this team is ready to fully compete.  Trade them too.  

I don't think we can trade Payne because of the cap hit. He's also still pretty young. And I'd like to keep McLaurin because if we draft a QB, we're gonna want to make sure he has weapons to throw to.

2 hours ago, seantaylor=god said:

I’d trade him for a second. Another casualty of the Snyder era. Can’t pay two DTs what we are paying; that money is better spent elsewhere. Continue to draft and develop and get cheaper and younger.

I don't know what Jon Allen's trade value is. Makes the most sense to part with him though. He's been a loyal player but get him to a competitor and hit reset. 

Our depth at DT would be Payne - Mathis - Ridgeway.

Not a horrible situation. So much TBD on Mathis. He was overdrafted and has never played, but in theory as a 2nd rounder entering Year 3, you should be able to lean on him for production. RIdgeway was good last year too. Add a vet rotational piece or a late-round pick and the DTs are fine. They haven't carried this defense, and they won't hurt the defense by parting with Allen. You're already 32nd, you can't get much worse. 

If we could trade McLaurin for a late 1st (Chiefs) and Allen to a competitor for a 2nd, it would be painful in the short-term and really make our offense and defense leaderless. But man, the re-set would be fun as well. 

Imagine going into the draft with 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd ... and that 1st could net so many more picks if we chose to use it in a trade-down. 

Everyone in the media keeps alluding to how we are really going to be surprised at how much we tear things down. If that is the case, I can't see how we keep around Terry or Allen with offers on the table, at least. Both for our long-term viability and their ability to compete before passing their primes.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't think we can trade Payne because of the cap hit. He's also still pretty young. And I'd like to keep McLaurin because if we draft a QB, we're gonna want to make sure he has weapons to throw to.

I could be wrong but I think the trade for the said player takes on all the monies in the contract unless team he is traded from agrees to take on some of his salary.  I understand about F1.  It just depends on what the new GM wants to do.  I'd be 50/50 on trading F1. 👍

Edited by RWJ

42 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I don't know what Jon Allen's trade value is. Makes the most sense to part with him though. He's been a loyal player but get him to a competitor and hit reset. 

Not a horrible situation. So much TBD on Mathis. He was overdrafted and has never played, but in theory as a 2nd rounder entering Year 3, you should be able to lean on him for production. RIdgeway was good last year too. Add a vet rotational piece or a late-round pick and the DTs are fine. They haven't carried this defense, and they won't hurt the defense by parting with Allen. You're already 32nd, you can't get much worse. 

If we could trade McLaurin for a late 1st (Chiefs) and Allen to a competitor for a 2nd, it would be painful in the short-term and really make our offense and defense leaderless. But man, the re-set would be fun as well. 

Imagine going into the draft with 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd ... and that 1st could net so many more picks if we chose to use it in a trade-down. 

Everyone in the media keeps alluding to how we are really going to be surprised at how much we tear things down. If that is the case, I can't see how we keep around Terry or Allen with offers on the table, at least. Both for our long-term viability and their ability to compete before passing their primes.

Based on what the Giants got for Williams, I think the floor for Allen is a 2nd. What will help here is that this a solid at best FA class for DTs and the draft class is pretty bad. The Seahawks probably gave up the comp they gave up for Williams partially because they saw that. Your DT rotation is still solid without Allen. Assuming a 4-3, you have your two nose tackles in Mathis and Ridgeway. You let Payne play the three technique and you go get a backup for him in FA or the draft.

7 minutes ago, method man said:

Based on what the Giants got for Williams, I think the floor for Allen is a 2nd. What will help here is that this a solid at best FA class for DTs and the draft class is pretty bad. The Seahawks probably gave up the comp they gave up for Williams partially because they saw that. Your DT rotation is still solid without Allen. Assuming a 4-3, you have your two nose tackles in Mathis and Ridgeway. You let Payne play the three technique and you go get a backup for him in FA or the draft.

Floor is probably a 2nd for Allen. I agree. Not sure if we could get a late 1st from a super bowl contender for him. I would guess McLaurin would garner a late 1st + maybe another pick too. 

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

I could be wrong but I think the trade that trades for the said player takes on all the monies in the contract unless team he is traded from agrees to take on some of his salary.  I understand about F1.  It just depends on what the new GM wants to do.  I'd be 50/5o on trading F1. 👍

That is incorrect yeah. Remaining signing bonus cap hits (spread over the length of the contract) accelerate to the current year when you trade a player. No amount of funny cap work can really avoid that unfortunately. 

On 12/20/2023 at 1:40 PM, Warhead36 said:

I think having a good player at a position outweights just fixing a hole of a bad one. We move Cosmi to RT and we're creating a hole at RG. At least now we have a RG who appears to be at least pretty good.

He's very good! :) 

3 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Trade Allen or Terry or both and you open up 2 more holes, why?  I would trade Dobson for whatever I could get. He is looking more like another waisted pick by Ron. Let Samuels go for a comp pick or trade, what did he do the previous years for his Salary? How about adding a few players around them instead? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Conn said:

That is incorrect yeah. Remaining signing bonus cap hits (spread over the length of the contract) accelerate to the current year when you trade a player. No amount of funny cap work can really avoid that unfortunately. 

True. But the hit on Payne this offseason would be easily manageable. Basically it would be about an 800K net hit, plus his replacement. While getting his hits of the nest 3 years (26.17. 28.01 and a 5.6 void hit) off the books completely.

• Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, dunfer said:

you could trade allen if he doesnt want to be here...trade anyone that doesnt want to be here. We arent running a prison

That's Ron's philosophy also.  That's how the 49'ers got Trent for a ham sandwich.

:229:The Rook

1 minute ago, The Rook said:

That's Ron's philosophy also.  That's how the 49'ers got Trent for a ham sandwich.

Trent wanted to be here is the thing, but as far as compensation.....i think young and sweat is the most value weve gotten for a trade in a couple decades

6 minutes ago, dunfer said:

Trent wanted to be here is the thing, but as far as compensation.....i think young and sweat is the most value weve gotten for a trade in a couple decades

I don't understand what you mean about "Trent wanted to be here"

Edited by The Rook

27 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

Trade Allen or Terry or both and you open up 2 more holes, why?  I would trade Dobson for whatever I could get. He is looking more like another waisted pick by Ron. Let Samuels go for a comp pick or trade, what did he do the previous years for his Salary? How about adding a few players around them instead? 

It’s simple. If you’re going for a full rebuild, you don’t hold onto players on big contracts at the peak of their prime. 

Let them go elsewhere to win. The picks you get back for them can be used to replace them for cheaper and longer runways. 

the sense is they’re going for a full rebuild. Allen has already come and said he doesn’t want to go through another rebuild. Idk about Terry but he’s well into the peak WR career (he entered the league old). 

Just now, The Rook said:

I don't understand what you mean about "Trent wanted to be be here"

I think Trent loved this team even though it was a **** hole. I think he finally just had a mid life crisis...cancer scares will do that