Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

17 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

Wow the bears are desperate. They way overpaid. 

The contract is about what was projected for him. I agree it more than I would have wanted to pay him but it’s about market.

The kicker though is they gave him that deal and used a 2nd round pick on him. That’s bad roster construction IMO.

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think that's a deal for Sweat. Not too much, but worth it. It's not Bosa money and he's a very solid overall DE. 

This is a classic case of giving a player of his caliber too much money. Would you rather have him at $25M a year or Clowney for 1 year at $10M?

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

14 minutes ago, Dark Acre said:

Does Clowney's social security income count against the cap?  

This is a hack good teams exploit. They are able to get guys in their late 20s/early 30s to sign short term cheapish contracts and perform similarly to the guys in their mid 20s getting overpaid for “potential” and other reasons. 

• Like 1

Its interesting that most players claim they want to be on a playoff team and get to a Super Bowl.  But in reality they just want a huge payday and they don't care which

team gives them the huge contract.  Take Sweat for example, yes he gets paid big bucks but he is never going to win a championship playing for the Bears.  Both the

agent and the player just want the money from any NFL team that will give it to them.  Yes, they play a violent sport and injuries can change their career outcomes so

they are not guaranteed a 15-20 year career.  I don't think Young will get a big contract from the 49ers so if he becomes a free agent his representative will contact

all the teams to see which one is dumb enough to pay big bucks for his client.  Show me the money is the rallying cry of most players these days.  Its hard to get

players to work as a team when they want to make big plays and get lucrative offers once they become free agents.  I hope we can sign Curl to a long term contract

but who knows what will happen.  We also need competent offensive linemen.  Maybe we can poach some veteran linemen from teams that won't make the playoffs

and who are looking to trade off players they know they will not sign to larger contracts next year.  I would look at the Raiders and New England rosters for example.

I do not buy jerseys any more too.   Will fans still wear Sweat's jerseys to games now?  I doubt it.  I know I would not wear a Chase Young jersey now.  I need to donate

my Kirk Cousins and Gus Frerotte jerseys to a thrift store.  

11 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Its a shame we kicked the can down the road on addressing TE with so many studs available, while remaining fixated at getting more projects for Jack with our top picks. TE2 is invisible. When Logan got concussed EB desperately tried to fill his shoes with Cole Turner - total fail and we got crushed that week. Getting EB running KCs offense we HAD to target TE on draft day. I will say it again Ron did EB NO favors on draft day. None.  Addressing the TE position with QBs 5th rounders and athletes with an occasional pure blocker Sprinkled in there hasn't really worked out. Sure our hands guys have gotten injured but at worst taking a top TE you got a big ass WR in a pinch/more formations to throw at DCs.  I love the way the Chargers use TE2 Parnham.

Fun Fact. Jeremy Sprinkles breakout year, Jay used to try to feature him in game plans and go to him to start games. Always a drop or failed connection. That year he played something like 300 snaps without a reception that spanned 8-10 games IIRC. Talk about easy to game plan for. Defenses literally did not need to account for him.  Maybe Eugene will spur a TE Talk Topic here and visit to share more wisdom.

The thing about this is I feel little shame for EB because of the number of TEs off the street that are on NFL rosters. Then there were guys like Logan Thomas who changed positions. And Rogers on our roster. There were a number of former OTs and DTs and DEs who were athletic freaks with hands. The position literally explodes. Plus the number of basketball concerts. 

But we didn't even sign a UDFA. we could still sign somebody right now but they'd have to learn the system. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

The thing about this is I feel little shame for EB because of the number of TEs off the street that are on NFL rosters. Then there were guys like Logan Thomas who changed positions. And Rogers on our roster. There were a number of former OTs and DTs and DEs who were athletic freaks with hands. The position literally explodes. Plus the number of basketball concerts. 

But we didn't even sign a UDFA. we could still sign somebody right now but they'd have to learn the system. 

because we had two UDFA's a a mid round draft pick plus an XFL star on our roster.  They're either on IR or just on the roster and not playing

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Its interesting that most players claim they want to be on a playoff team and get to a Super Bowl.  But in reality they just want a huge payday and they don't care which

team gives them the huge contract.  Take Sweat for example, yes he gets paid big bucks but he is never going to win a championship playing for the Bears.  Both the

agent and the player just want the money from any NFL team that will give it to them.  Yes, they play a violent sport and injuries can change their career outcomes so

they are not guaranteed a 15-20 year career.  I don't think Young will get a big contract from the 49ers so if he becomes a free agent his representative will contact

all the teams to see which one is dumb enough to pay big bucks for his client.  Show me the money is the rallying cry of most players these days.  Its hard to get

players to work as a team when they want to make big plays and get lucrative offers once they become free agents.  I hope we can sign Curl to a long term contract

but who knows what will happen.  We also need competent offensive linemen.  Maybe we can poach some veteran linemen from teams that won't make the playoffs

and who are looking to trade off players they know they will not sign to larger contracts next year.  I would look at the Raiders and New England rosters for example.

I do not buy jerseys any more too.   Will fans still wear Sweat's jerseys to games now?  I doubt it.  I know I would not wear a Chase Young jersey now.  I need to donate

my Kirk Cousins and Gus Frerotte jerseys to a thrift store.  

It’s called professional football for a reason.

Teams will replace a player in a heartbeat and not just for someone better - sometimes it’s for someone younger and cheaper. I will never blame a player for wanting and taking the money when and where they can get it. A career can be over in a single snap.

Players do want to win (the occasional one just wants the money and then just doesn’t care - Jamarcus Russell for example). To get to the NFL you have to be unbelievably competitive and most players hate losing. But it’s a short and brutal career, you get paid when and where you can. 

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, MartinC said:

It’s called professional football for a reason.

Teams will replace a player in a heartbeat and not just for someone better - sometimes it’s for someone younger and cheaper. I will never blame a player for wanting and taking the money when and where they can get it. A career can be over in a single snap.

Players do want to win (the occasional one just wants the money and then just doesn’t care - Jamarcus Russell for example). To get to the NFL you have to be unbelievably competitive and most players hate losing. But it’s a short and brutal career, you get paid when and where you can. 

Agreed. Always look out for your financial situation until you’ve got enough to live life comfortably. Some have got it great and can decide if they want to take a cut. Most don’t, that’s reality. Any play can end your career.

Many professional players don’t even sniff 10 years of NFL football. It hurts as a fan but there really isn’t much after the nfl for a lot of the players and they end up burning through most of the money they earned in the pros.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Redd said:

Agreed. Always look out for your financial situation until you’ve got enough to live life comfortably. Some have got it great and can decide if they want to take a cut. Most don’t, that’s reality. Any play can end your career.

Many professional players don’t even sniff 10 years of NFL football. It hurts as a fan but there really isn’t much after the nfl for a lot of the players and they end up burning through most of the money they earned in the pros.

Average NFL career is under 4 years. Most players never get a contract beyond their rookie deal. 

On a totally unrelated matter players become eligible for lifetime healthcare after 5 years.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

13 hours ago, formerly4skins said:

Can someone help me out with these acronyms?  Haven't seen them before.

But, I'm going to guess...

DFS lineup = Don't ****ing Suck lineup

GPP lineup = Good Players Play lineup

How did I do 😉

Dominating. Just like Chase was. Here's your cheat sheet. I know folks here are fantasy fanatics but just dont talk about it much.

https://www.4for4.com/daily-fantasy-dfs-glossary-terms

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I always hate taking home town talent for this reason. Players want to spread their wings and fly away to different places where they can bang chicks and not have to worry if it’s a cousin.

also Chase strikes me as a guy that loved college ball but not so much professional.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, philibusters said:

It seems like putting that information out there will hurt his market value in free agency.   It makes it seem like he is not bought into football.

If Chase had played his cards right he could have made so much more money from his time in the league. I understand the injury was a big factor but beyond that he is wasting such an incredible opportunity.  Physical traits are outstanding but what's between his ears seems to have let him down.

6 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

I always hate taking home town talent for this reason. Players want to spread their wings and fly away to different places where they can bang chicks and not have to worry if it’s a cousin.

also Chase strikes me as a guy that loved college ball but not so much professional.

One of the ways that the Eagles keep getting deals on guys, is because they're bringing Philly boys back like Swift, White, Bradley and Reddick.

and I agree about Chase. Seems like College and playing with kids that he was physically superior to was a lot more fun for him.