Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

Just now, Redskins 2021 said:

Sweat will get moved someone wants him. Young will stay.

This is the likely outcome. Sweat is the safer guy for a team to want to give an extension to. If a team is able to come to an extension agreement with him ahead of the deadline, we should be able to do better than a 3rd. ATL has a great shot at making something happen given they have a great shot at the playoffs this year and Sweat is from there

• Thumb up 1

43 minutes ago, method man said:

This is the likely outcome. Sweat is the safer guy for a team to want to give an extension to. If a team is able to come to an extension agreement with him ahead of the deadline, we should be able to do better than a 3rd. ATL has a great shot at making something happen given they have a great shot at the playoffs this year and Sweat is from there

I think we get that second rd

Atl

Jacksonville 

Baltmore

Kc

Sea

Cinn

They are all could possibly want him. I look at the Chubb trade last year and hope we could get something similar. 

It's been rumored that Atl id the team that offered. It's also been rumored there a second team involved.

Edited by Redskins 2021
  • Like 1

well, I like Toohill and JSW so losing Sweat  isn't that big a deal.  If we could get a fourth or fight for Brissett that'd be nice

I might call up the Chiefs and see if they'd take Wylie back.  They seemed to like him and I'm not sure his RT play would be worse than what they've had this year

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

26 minutes ago, MrJL said:

well, I like Toohill and JSW so losing Sweat  isn't that big a deal.  If we could get a fourth or fight for Brissett that'd be nice

I might call up the Chiefs and see if they'd take Wylie back.  They seemed to like him and I'm not sure his RT play would be worse than what they've had this year

It is also an opportunity to see what we have in the two rookie ends and see whether they can provide depth for next year. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Time for Harris to intervene and do what's right for the franchise not the soon to be ex coaching staff.

Prime candidates for trade to me are:

- Montez Sweat

- Chase Young

- Jacoby Brissett

- Kamren Curl

- Curtis Samuel

Personally if we get the opportunity I'd trade the lot. That would leave the incoming GM and HC a host of picks to go with a large amount of cap space and likely a high draft pick all while keeping the likes of Terry McLaurin, Jon Allen and Da'Ron Payne to build on.

Edited by BrentMeisterGeneral

2 hours ago, BrentMeisterGeneral said:

Time for Harris to intervene and do what's right for the franchise not the soon to be ex coaching staff.

Prime candidates for trade to me are:

- Montez Sweat

- Chase Young

- Jacoby Brissett

- Kamren Curl

- Curtis Samuel

Personally if we get the opportunity I'd trade the lot. That would leave the incoming GM and HC a host of picks to go with a large amount of cap space and likely a high draft pick all while keeping the likes of Terry McLaurin, Jon Allen and Da'Ron Payne to build on.

The three I would most want to trade our Sweat, Brissett, and Samuel.

Sweat because we can only keep one of him and young he could bring in a 2nd rounder.  Brissett because this year is about developing Sam Howell and if he gets hurt, from a long term perspective its better to lose and get a higher pick than win.   Samuel because he is probably going to be too expensive to keep (though you never know) and he could garner a 5th rounder or so.

I don’t think it’s accurate to say we can only keep one of Sweat and Young… in theory we could keep both. 

The reason I make this distinction is some folks are fairly upset many of us believe we can’t sign them because we don’t have the money.

We do have the money (and @philibusters I’m sure you’re aware of that, too, I just want to head those responses off).

The reason why many don’t want us to keep both is tenfold (or at least my take on this situation is):

1. our defensive line has underperformed. I don’t believe this has to do with talent, necessarily. I believe this to be in large part due to coaching. However, the damage has been done in the sense that they both takes plays off and times and although their overall performances statistically have improved, their body language hasn’t.

2. 2 ties into 1: there is no guarantee either of them want to stay. Had we extended Sweat or exercised Young’s option or both we’d be in a position where keeping them both for the remainder of the season and working a potential trade if they don’t want to re-up in the off-season. 

But we didn’t. And now they are both FAs. We can franchise one, but not the other. And you can bet that they will both want big money despite the belief by some that Sweat can be had for less. 

It’s feasible that both re-sign here. I just don’t think it’s the reality. But that is an opinion.

3. We need the resources to be used elsewhere. We need to make an investment in the OL and at LB. And quite bluntly, we need an infusion of hungry youth on the defensive line. 

I can hear the responses, “Sweat and Young are both still relatively young…”. Yes. However, I’m not sure how hungry they are to BE IN WASHINGTON. 

I have no doubt they will go elsewhere and be fantastic. But this isn’t about them, it’s about the team. 

Also, in closing @BrentMeisterGeneral, there is no way I trade Curl if there is even a reasonable shot at getting him back. I think he’s our overall best defensive player aside from a healthy Allen and Payne. Having said that, if the new FO doesn’t think there is a high chance to get him back… okay. I also don’t know what his compensation range would be. But it’ll be a fair bit lower than any of us would like it to be.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

22 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Also, in closing @BrentMeisterGeneral, there is no way I trade Curl if there is even a reasonable shot at getting him back. I think he’s our overall best defensive player aside from a healthy Allen and Payne. Having said that, if the new FO doesn’t think there is a high chance to get him back… okay. I also don’t know what his compensation range would be. But it’ll be a fair bit lower than any of us would like it to be.

I accept that in my thinking Curl was collateral in my desire to really just clean ship and start again. He is the one that gives me pause from all of those on the list, but as you say it's dependant on his desire to be here and I'm sure Harris etc have sounded that out and will have a good understanding at this stage.

If Curl wants Bates III money, he can kick rocks with the others.

He's a good player, but not great and finding good SS play isn't that hard.

I'd argue that Fuller is more valuable. Heck, his tackling saved us a couple of times yesterday and I don't remember any passes targeting him.

23 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don’t think it’s accurate to say we can only keep one of Sweat and Young… in theory we could keep both. 

The reason I make this distinction is some folks are fairly upset many of us believe we can’t sign them because we don’t have the money.

Yeah, I agree that was sloppy language on my part.   I should have said it seems unlikely or unadvisable that we keep both.

Ultimately having 4 pass rushers on the D-Line seems like overkill.  And while we could afford to bring both of them back, we got similar D-Line production last year without Young.  That said if Sweat had got hurt last year and Young played, I feel it would have been similar.

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

The Eagles have a bunch of 1rst rounders on their D line and two talented pass rushers in Reddick and Nolan Smith and had one sack against the leagues worst OL.

What  bad FO they must have.

If we dump Young or Sweat for some crappy day two return, we have to spend another first just to have reasonable hope to make a lateral move to replace them.  How is this not part of the resource management calculation?  The Eagles lost Javon Hargrave and had to spend a top ten pick to replace him.  The 49ers traded Deforest Buckner only to immediately replace him with a 14th overall pick in Javon Kinlaw, who is a bust, and eventually have to spend big to replace him with Hargrave.

These are not cases of good asset management that we should be copying.  You don't get better by dumping or letting your best homegrown players walk, only to spend the money you should have given them on some mediocre high dollar free agent on the OL like Mike McGlinchey or Jawaan Taylor.  If you really want to improve the OL, then you should be using those first round picks you now have to spend on edge on OTs.

I'd like to hear some specifics from folks who think we should trade Chase and/or Montez.  Who do you all think we should give their money to instead?

13 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

If we dump Young or Sweat for some crappy day two return, we have to spend another first just to have reasonable hope to make a lateral move to replace them.  How is this not part of the resource management calculation?  The Eagles lost Javon Hargrave and had to spend a top ten pick to replace him.  The 49ers traded Deforest Buckner only to immediately replace him with a 14th overall pick in Javon Kinlaw, who is a bust, and eventually have to spend big to replace him with Hargrave.

These are not cases of good asset management that we should be copying.  You don't get better by dumping or letting your best homegrown players walk, only to spend the money you should have given them on some mediocre high dollar free agent on the OL like Mike McGlinchey or Jawaan Taylor.  If you really want to improve the OL, then you should be using those first round picks you now have to spend on edge on OTs.

I'd like to hear some specifics from folks who think we should trade Chase and/or Montez.  Who do you all think we should give their money to instead?

Big difference between the two.

49ers traded Buckner, used that pick to draft Kinlaw who busted and they had to give Hargrave $40mil per

Eagles signed Hargrave for only $20 mil and after a few years when he was at his peak, they traded him and drafted a guy in the running for DRotY.

49ers are a prime example of why you don't trade high end talent and should pay them.

Eagles are a prime example of what a smart FO can do to keep you under budget and stay strong.

Hargrave was drafted by the steelers. They decided not to pay him and trade their 1rst to bolster their secondary by trading for Fitz. They drafted a DT at the end of day 3.

Eagles gave Hargrave his first big contract and it was reasonable, which is what we or some other team is about to do for Chase or Sweat.

Then when he exploded and demanded huge money, they let someone else pay him and that position is now on rookie money.

The Eagles also invest in DL, so two years in a row, they went DL in the first, which is fine, because they had multiple.

• Thumb up 1