Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

5 hours ago, redskinss said:

Well then I guess we kind of agree.

I did say that bringing him in as a backup isn't a bad idea.

Although if the reports are true that he has at least ten suitors we're probably near the bottom of his wish list.

Chemistry, development, and intangibles has little value to fans. 

With that said, it’s put up time for Ron. 

Edited by wit33
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I laughed at "don't add talent" theme of your post, in reference to making us a better team and I'd absolutely bring him in to start when he's ready.

But he tore an ACL last December. It’s doubtful he could pass a medical - he was released from off the PUP list. 

If he healthy he’s an upgrade on Wylie who could perhaps slide inside to LG. Don’t see this happening though. 

• Like 1

He got benched, but look at that potential? 

May be an image of 1 person, playing football, football helmet and text that says 'Chase Claypoo is a Monster 6'4 240 pounds Runs a 4.4 40 The problem is he's a horrible at football F 10'

2 hours ago, MartinC said:

But he tore an ACL last December. It’s doubtful he could pass a medical - he was released from off the PUP list. 

If he healthy he’s an upgrade on Wylie who could perhaps slide inside to LG. Don’t see this happening though. 

My other post that preceded the one you quoted addressed that. He's a great talent to stash if he's not healthy yet. 

• Like 1

I don't know a lot about this guy other than he has been productive, maybe a nice addition

Eagles released LB Rashaan Evans from the practice squad.
Evans is expected to sign with a team after being granted his release. The 27-year-old made 17 starts for Atlanta last year and has 67 career starts in five seasons. Evans had offers from Atlanta and Tennessee before signing with the Eagles.
11h ago
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

I don't know a lot about this guy other than he has been productive, maybe a nice addition

Eagles released LB Rashaan Evans from the practice squad.
Evans is expected to sign with a team after being granted his release. The 27-year-old made 17 starts for Atlanta last year and has 67 career starts in five seasons. Evans had offers from Atlanta and Tennessee before signing with the Eagles.
11h ago

He really stinks against the pass. We already have a guy in his mold on Mayo. Pass

• Haha 1

On 9/14/2023 at 9:01 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

As far as I can find, he's still on the market.

The "12 teams interested" was CLEARLY something which came from his agent, who CLEARLY is not a trustworthy source.

Several things to keep in mind:

1. He tore his ACL on December 24th, 2022.  Even if he gets back quickly, you couldn't expect him to play until November at the absolute earliest.  

2. He was released from the PUP list.  I think the "pass a physical" thing is a team decision.  He clearly couldn't pass one right now, but I think a team could sign him anyway.

3. Most likely, this is a move for 2024, not 2023.  

4. If he can't play right now, in order to sign him, you would have to sign him to your 53 man roster, which means releasing somebody from your team.  Then probably put him on IR, and re-sign the guy you cut.  

5. For those wondering, signing him to a practice squad is meaningless because as soon as he can play, somebody can sign him off of the practice squad.  

My thought is he will be signed, but it's going to be a while before he is signed by anybody.  I could be wrong, somebody could jump at him today.  But given he can't help a team until much later in the season, my guess is teams will wait to see what they have when he's available to make a move.  

I doubt we go after him now.  If the line is really struggling in October/November, or there are significant injuries, and he's still available, then maybe.  But I don't think they would pounce now, sign a guy to what is probably more than a 1 year deal, and then not have him able to help for 2 months.  For this team, that doesn't make a lot of sense.

Also, I get the feeling they are trying to free up a little room to get a Curl deal done.  So, I'm not sure they would have the desire to spend money on a new OT who can't help for 2 months instead of locking up Curl.  

Just a thought.  Could be very wrong...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, method man said:

He really stinks against the pass. We already have a guy in his mold on Mayo. Pass

Sounds like a younger and stronger tackler than Bostic. I have no idea if play teams like Mayo does but if so, he could be an upgrade. In my eyes, the jury is still out on Barton. I had high hopes on him as the staff seemed to hand pick him as the right fit. 

49 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The "12 teams interested" was CLEARLY something which came from his agent, who CLEARLY is not a trustworthy source.

1. He tore his ACL on December 24th, 2022.  Even if he gets back quickly, you couldn't expect him to play until November at the absolute earliest.  

2. He was released from the PUP list.  I think the "pass a physical" thing is a team decision.  He clearly couldn't pass one right now, but I think a team could sign him anyway.

4. If he can't play right now, in order to sign him, you would have to sign him to your 53 man roster, which means releasing somebody from your team.  Then probably put him on IR, and re-sign the guy you cut.  

5. For those wondering, signing him to a practice squad is meaningless because as soon as he can play, somebody can sign him off of the practice squad.  

My thought is he will be signed, but it's going to be a while before he is signed by anybody.  I could be wrong, somebody could jump at him today.  But given he can't help a team until much later in the season, my guess is teams will wait to see what they have when he's available to make a move.  

I doubt we go after him now.  If the line is really struggling in October/November, or there are significant injuries, and he's still available, then maybe.  But I don't think they would pounce now, sign a guy to what is probably more than a 1 year deal, and then not have him able to help for 2 months.  For this team, that doesn't make a lot of sense.

Also, I get the feeling they are trying to free up a little room to get a Curl deal done.  So, I'm not sure they would have the desire to spend money on a new OT who can't help for 2 months instead of locking up Curl.  

Collins could become an asset at least on the inside for the second half of the season. The real strength would be knowing going into 2024 that you have him as a solid starter on the inside and possibly on the outside. Would make the off season a little easier with him and seeing how all the young guys on the roster mature (and if they can stay healthy).

Would it be Curl or Sweat they are preparing to sign? I would lean towards Sweat as the ends group are virtually all free agents next year. 

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

None of this means 12 teams aren’t interested, it’s been less than two days and he needs a medical passover on top of all the other factors like money/fit, etc. I’m sure his agent is fielding tons of interest, it just isn’t immediate big (or even medium) money interest due to the injury situation. “Interest” is a very vague term but you seem almost insulted by it to pre-justify why we probably won’t be one of the teams taking a look at him. 

27 minutes ago, Conn said:

None of this means 12 teams aren’t interested, it’s been less than two days and he needs a medical passover on top of all the other factors like money/fit, etc. I’m sure his agent is fielding tons of interest, it just isn’t immediate big (or even medium) money interest due to the injury situation. “Interest” is a very vague term but you seem almost insulted by it to pre-justify why we probably won’t be one of the teams taking a look at him. 

Oh I’m not insulted by it at all.  I actually kidof think it would be a good idea to kick the tires.  But I don’t think it solves any problems right now. Could it be a play for next year? Sure.

Im completely neutral on it.  

I have no idea how many teams are interested.  The agent might have gotten a call from every team.  

But the reason the #12 is out there is because the agent wanted it out there.  Probably to drum up interest.  Trustworthy might have been the wrong word.  Unbiased might have been better or at least has an agenda.  

We’ll see what happens.  My guess is he isn’t signed until October.  That’s a guess.  Could be proven wrong this weekend.  

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

There was a lot of buzz around here about Risner for quite some time, will be watching closely to see how he pans out.

If he turns out really well after given a few weeks to get up to speed with team I will be ticked.

Minny has a made a few moves I wish we had made, none more than Ivan Pace

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

There was a lot of buzz around here about Risner for quite some time, will be watching closely to see how he pans out.

If he turns out really well after given a few weeks to get up to speed with team I will be ticked.

Minny has a made a few moves I wish we had made, none more than Ivan Pace

Meh he is not a fit here. He does not have the athleticism EB looks for in a guard.

Doing a little looking ahead here, but I assume our new GM/HC/DC next year is going to look at the amazing defense and wonder how they forgot about ILB. Our defense is definitely a dominant ILB away from being a league best.

Seattle is not resigning both Wagner and Bush.

Devin White almost came loose this year. I don't think TB will be in the win now resigning mode with him. 

Don't know is Denver resigns Jewell either.

Older guys who still have a lot in the tank and are looking to be FAs 

Wagner, Hicks and David.

I assume we're going OT/QB in round one, but I'd be happy with a day 2 LBer and a highly sought after FA.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Doing a little looking ahead here, but I assume our new GM/HC/DC next year is going to look at the amazing defense and wonder how they forgot about ILB. Our defense is definitely a dominant ILB away from being a league best.

Seattle is not resigning both Wagner and Bush.

Devin White almost came loose this year. I don't think TB will be in the win now resigning mode with him. 

Don't know is Denver resigns Jewell either.

Older guys who still have a lot in the tank and are looking to be FAs 

Wagner, Hicks and David.

I assume we're going OT/QB in round one, but I'd be happy with a day 2 LBer and a highly sought after FA.

I think Devin White will want way to much money for how good he is.   He is a player who has elite athleticism for the position and is a bit of a gambler so he does make more than his share of splash plays.  That said, he gives up a lot of plays.  He'll shoot a gap to quick, which means another gap is not covered  and because he shot it too quick the RB has time to make a cutback into the open gap, he'll bite on play action or try to jump a route and be wrong.  In other words a lot of good plays but a lot of bad plays.  That is okay, but if that is your game don't expect to get paid like Fred Warner or Roquan Smith who maybe only have a third of the bad plays as Devin White.  I think Devin White benefits from having his LB mate Lavonte David who is probably second best LB behind Fred Warner (I think either David or Roquan Smith is likely the second best).  Lavonte David makes so few mistakes it gives Devin White a little more ability to take chances and make splash plays.

Josey Jewell would be a guy I would definitely be interested in because he is solid at run defense and pass defense though not really great at either.  Wagner and David are both still very good and wouldn't break the bank because of their age.  On the other hand they are not a long term solution they would be a one or two year gap filler.

Edited by philibusters

14 minutes ago, philibusters said:

I think Devin White will want way to much money for how good he is.   He is a player who has elite athleticism for the position and is a bit of a gambler so he does make more than his share of splash plays.  That said, he gives up a lot of plays.  He'll shoot a gap to quick, which means another gap is not covered  and because he shot it too quick the RB has time to make a cutback into the open gap, he'll bite on play action or try to jump a route and be wrong.  In other words a lot of good plays but a lot of bad plays.  That is okay, but if that is your game don't expect to get paid like Fred Warner or Roquan Smith who maybe only have a third of the bad plays as Devin White.  I think Devin White benefits from having his LB mate Lavonte David who is probably second best LB behind Fred Warner (I think either David or Roquan Smith is likely the second best).  Lavonte David makes so few mistakes it gives Devin White a little more ability to take chances and make splash plays.

Josey Jewell would be a guy I would definitely be interested in because he is solid at run defense and pass defense though not really great at either.  Wagner and David are both still very good and wouldn't break the bank because of their age.  On the other hand they are not a long term solution they would be a one or two year gap filler.

White is basically what we hoped Davis would be, only better. You always over pay for FA. That's why you use them to supplement the roster, not build it.

The only thing holding this defense back is LBer. 49ers have an impressive duo, Cowboys and Eagles have a rush backer like Parsons and Riddick.

I'm all about drafting LBer on day two almost every year and developing them. Signing the best LBer to hit FA and over paying them, along with a day two LBer would be a home run offseason for our defense. 

I don't care if Warner or David are only a one or two year stop gaps either. That's what I'd expect them to be. Plugging them into the middle of our defense would put us over the top.

Looking at LTs that might be available next season.

Tyron Smith if the Cowboys decide to let him walk due to his age

Trenton Brown will be 31 and the Pats may decide not to pay him

I don't see anyone else who would be a clear upgrade to Leno.

12 hours ago, ANONYMOUS SOURCE. said:

Holcomb playing like an All Pro tonight with Pittsburgh. looks way quicker there than he did here, must be the turf 😂

I still can't believe we didn't pay him. I mean, $5 mil a year for a starting ILB is average.

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Looking at LTs that might be available next season.

Tyron Smith if the Cowboys decide to let him walk due to his age

Trenton Brown will be 31 and the Pats may decide not to pay him

I don't see anyone else who would be a clear upgrade to Leno.

Eek, looks like first round T to me. 

I mean when a 41 year old tackle and Tye Nsekhe starts looking good after week 1 to teams, it is a scary situation. 

La'el Collins signed now through next season....maybe?

• Like 1

Just now, DWinzit said:

Eek, looks like first round T to me. 

I mean when a 41 year old tackle and Tye Nsekhe starts looking good after week 1 to teams, it is a scary situation. 

La'el Collins signed now through next season....maybe?

I can't believe we aren't signing him for the future. He should be back half way through the season and he isn't a price buster. He signed with the Bengals for 3/$21. That's doable and he's a clear upgrade at RT.

• Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

I can't believe we aren't signing him for the future. He should be back half way through the season and he isn't a price buster. He signed with the Bengals for 3/$21. That's doable and he's a clear upgrade at RT.

Yes! Also if needed, can be an upgrade inside...especially with our starting G's having such health concerns. I do however hope they stay healthy and prove themselves worthy. 

Imagine - we start talking about the importance of resigning Charles...

No, really

Stop with the laughing

I'm serious

Really

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Yes! Also if needed, can be an upgrade inside...especially with our starting G's having such health concerns. I do however hope they stay healthy and prove themselves worthy. 

Imagine - we start talking about the importance of resigning Charles...

No, really

Stop with the laughing

I'm serious

Really

Collins has *drum roll please* position flex!!!

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

With a load of suitors, I can’t imagine we’re too high on his list.  Might help our case if we win one of our next two though…