Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

25 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Wiley is barely better than Lucas. RT is a hole. Leno is a fine starter at LT. If we draft a OT, he'll start on the right for at least this year, while Leno locks the left down.

Gates is a meh starter too, so I wouldn't think anything on the Oline is a lock. Roullier is the only player on the line capable of above average play and everyone assumes that he's getting cut.

We have a bunch of guys who can kinda play all the positions along the line, but nobody that plays it well (except Roullier). 

That's not to say that I think our coaches aren't looking at these guys as starters. Just that I don't.

He’s a question mark but Cosmi is more than capable of above average play at RG

34 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Wiley is barely better than Lucas. RT is a hole. Leno is a fine starter at LT. If we draft a OT, he'll start on the right for at least this year, while Leno locks the left down.

Gates is a meh starter too, so I wouldn't think anything on the Oline is a lock. Roullier is the only player on the line capable of above average play and everyone assumes that he's getting cut.

We have a bunch of guys who can kinda play all the positions along the line, but nobody that plays it well (except Roullier). 

That's not to say that I think our coaches aren't looking at these guys as starters. Just that I don't.

I would say Bieniemy and Rivera strongly disagree with you on both Gates and Wylie. Rivera is especially pleased with those 2 acquisitions. Using his words, ‘starters from playoff teams last year’.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Thank you! I feel similar with the players we have. A number of decent RT's, one good LT, there are a number of guys that are good RG's but none scheduled to play there and maybe Cosmi can become good at RG. Roullier is cut/retired or both.  

RT-Wylis, Cosmi, Lucas and Scott are all meh to ok. Lucas and Scott are good back up swings but not really starter material and Cosmi has been moved our of RT

29 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I would say Bieniemy and Rivera strongly disagree with you on both Gates and Wylie. Rivera is especially pleased with those 2 acquisitions. Using his words, ‘starters from playoff teams last year’.

I understand your thoughts. Yes Gates and Wylie offer the versatility, leadership and grit RR and EB looked for.

Thing is Wylie is a much better G than T and Gates is probably a better G than C and coming off a giant injury. Can either of those guys be a good starting LG? Not sure.

I think we can survive and RT but scared is Leno went down for the blind side protection. Also who is the starting LG with the imminent cutting or Norwell and I think we need another C.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DWinzit said:

Thank you! I feel similar with the players we have. A number of decent RT's, one good LT, there are a number of guys that are good RG's but none scheduled to play there and maybe Cosmi can become good at RG. Roullier is cut/retired or both.  

RT-Wylis, Cosmi, Lucas and Scott are all meh to ok. Lucas and Scott are good back up swings but not really starter material and Cosmi has been moved our of RT

I understand your thoughts. Yes Gates and Wylie offer the versatility, leadership and grit RR and EB looked for.

Thing is Wylie is a much better G than T and Gates is probably a better G than C and coming off a giant injury. Can either of those guys be a good starting LG? Not sure.

I think we can survive and RT but scared is Leno went down for the blind side protection. Also who is the starting LG with the imminent cutting or Norwell and I think we need another C.

I think Gates is a better C than Guard. I agree with the rest, we need some help. 

Lots of nice centers in the draft that won’t go too high. Probably pick up a guard too. Tackle will be tough if we don’t address it early, unless it’s a purely developmental guy.

Maybe we luck out and a OT falls.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I think we’re nailed on to draft someone versatile who can play both G/C positions. Mayhew actually talked up Trenton Scott a fair bit. Said he’s played 4 OL spots, only one he’s never done is C. Will be interesting to see what unfolds. We clearly need to upgrade still.

2 hours ago, method man said:

He’s a question mark but Cosmi is more than capable of above average play at RG

I like Cosmi and think he can be good, but he hasn't been an above average RG yet, has he? Guy barely plays football.

2 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Lots of average players started on good playoff teams last year. Ron is way to smart to not blast mediocre FA signings or think that he has signed above average starters.

Their ceiling is Leno, which is ..... good enough I guess. Same goes for Barton and Brissett. 

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

Thank you!

This time of year is wild. By midseason the same people applauding the signings will be bashing them and calling the FO an idiot.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

With the Eagles having the best offesive line in the league this is bad news for the Commanders.

That offense is going to be an unstoppable bully. My Goodness are they going to be fun to watch. They'll control the clock every game with long clock killing drives and then on defense be able to just pin their ears back and stay fresh. 

Until we played them, they basically had every game won before the first half was over. Looks like they want to double down on that.

• Thumb down 1

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

That offense is going to be an unstoppable bully. My Goodness are they going to be fun to watch. They'll control the clock every game with long clock killing drives and then on defense be able to just pin their ears back and stay fresh. 

Until we played them, they basically had every game won before the first half was over. Looks like they want to double down on that.

This is why we need to shore up our line. Good enough is not the answer.

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Wiley knows the system, was a starter for the Chiefs, knows the system, and was signed to start at RT.  I doubt very much they’re going to draft another RT when they already have 3 people who theoretically can play RT with Wiley, Lucas and Cosmi.

Leno didn’t lock down the left side last year. He was the definition of “ok.”  He’s not moving people off the line and he needs a ton of help with speed rushers. 

He’s fine.  But they need better. 

Gates was good towards the end of the year for the Giants.  He was recovering from a big injury, and improved.  They clearly think he’s the starting center because … they’ve said it.  Ron said they got 3 starters from playoff teams last year.  The plan is for him to start at center. Larsen is the backup.  However they need another center because it’s unclear if Larson will be ready for the season.  And they can’t do what they did last year and be one deep at Center.  That would be a disaster. 

Rouiller is either going to retire or be cut. 

fair.  But that’s their plan.  And their plan will factor into what and where they draft. 

I think they’re looking at a starting left tackle and another depth guard to replace Charles.  And somewhere, a depth center because Rouiller will be gone and Larson might/might not be ready.  

18 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

They have this year, then they have to blow the whole team up because the bill is going to come due in 2024 and 2025.

They have to hit on their 2 first rounders this year because otherwise they be in tough shape in a couple of years.  

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Wiley knows the system, was a starter for the Chiefs, knows the system, and was signed to start at RT.  I doubt very much they’re going to draft another RT when they already have 3 people who theoretically can play RT with Wiley, Lucas and Cosmi.

Leno didn’t lock down the left side last year. He was the definition of “ok.”  He’s not moving people off the line and he needs a ton of help with speed rushers. 

He’s fine.  But they need better. 

Gates was good towards the end of the year for the Giants.  He was recovering from a big injury, and improved.  They clearly think he’s the starting center because … they’ve said it.  Ron said they got 3 starters from playoff teams last year.  The plan is for him to start at center. Larsen is the backup.  However they need another center because it’s unclear if Larson will be ready for the season.  And they can’t do what they did last year and be one deep at Center.  That would be a disaster. 

Rouiller is either going to retire or be cut. 

fair.  But that’s their plan.  And their plan will factor into what and where they draft. 

I think they’re looking at a starting left tackle and another depth guard to replace Charles.  And somewhere, a depth center because Rouiller will be gone and Larson might/might not be ready.  

I get the point that this is what the coaches are probably thinking and that is their plan.

I just think it's a bad plan and a lot of mediocre guys and it won't work and the Oline will be the teams biggest disappointment again.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

I get the point that this is what the coaches are probably thinking and that is their plan.

I just think it's a bad plan and a lot of mediocre guys and it won't work and the Oline will be the teams biggest disappointment again.

Maybe.  I’m on the fence for 3 reasons:

1. As much as I defended Scott Turner at times because he was working with sub-par QBs and trying to make wine from water, he was bad at adjusting and helping in protections.  And moving the pocket, using tempo to help the OL, etc.  I’m going on the assumption EB is going to be better at these things. 

2. Norwell and Turner couldn’t play.  And the completely ridiculous decision not to have a backup to Rouiller on the opening day roster because Larson was on PUP will not be repeated. The pieces this year are better than last year. 

3. Wentz and [REDACTED] held onto the ball and made the line’s job harder.  QB play can affect the OL.  The OL play was abysmal.  But when you toss horrendous QB play on top of it, you have a special type of stink.  We’ll see if they can do it, but EB’s WCO should get the ball out quicker, Howell and JB might significantly benefit from it, and that will help the line as well.

All this to say, I still want them to draft a tackle and a guard and get another center.  But I want to see if we can get a couple really good pieces to mix and match, and the left side of the line needs more help than the right as of right now. 

2 hours ago, The Rook said:

Henry?  Really?  Washington is playing checkers and Philly is playing chess.

:229:The Rook

So we should have taken Henry and cut Gibson then? BRob is still a beast for us though and will have the opportunity to start from game 1 this year unlike last year. I am more excited about that. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, The Rook said:

Henry?  Really?  Washington is playing checkers and Philly is playing chess.

"Per a source with knowledge of the situation, it won’t be happening.

Earlier in the offseason, a report surfaced that the Titans were shopping Henry. Nothing happened, in part because Henry has a salary of $10.5 million this year, and in part because he’s likely looking for a new contract, since he’s in the final year of his current deal."

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

Just checking my notes here and it says Derrick Henry is neither a FA nor is he coming to Washington. Why is this being discussed here?

This is the free agency thread and we typically discuss all the big offseason moves here. The same way we discuss all the draft prospects and what other teams might do, over in the draft thread. Henry being traded to a divisional rival would be pretty important news for us, because we play them twice a year. It also has significant draft applications.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

12 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

This is the free agency thread and we typically discuss all the big offseason moves here. The same way we discuss all the draft prospects and what other teams might do, over in the draft thread. Henry being traded to a divisional rival would be pretty important news for us, because we play them twice a year. It also has significant draft applications.  

Uh Huh Yes GIF

It’s just an unsubstantiated rumor at this point. So maybe save your Eagles glee for when it’s official. 

https://titanswire.usatoday.com/2023/04/22/derrick-henry-trade-rumors-titans-eagles-not-discussing/

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

Uh Huh Yes GIF

It’s just an unsubstantiated rumor at this point. So maybe save your Eagles glee for when it’s official. 

https://titanswire.usatoday.com/2023/04/22/derrick-henry-trade-rumors-titans-eagles-not-discussing/

The tweet is literally from NFL "RUMORS".  :ols:

I never said it was a done deal and it probably aggravated some boomers. Where's the loss?  :D