Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

41 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Based on the depth and quality of edge rushers in the draft, I’m not sure anyone would be interested anyway.

I think the draft is irrelevant.  The guy had a horrendous knee injury which took over a year to recover from.  No team is trading a lot for Young until they see him in a larger sample size play at an elite level.  

That’s not a knock on Young, it’s just facts.  

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I think the draft is irrelevant.  The guy had a horrendous knee injury which took over a year to recover from.  No team is trading a lot for Young until they see him in a larger sample size play at an elite level.  

That’s not a knock on Young, it’s just facts.  

I don’t think it irrelevant. However, yeah the injury would also be a trade killer. And the money side IMO.

7 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I don’t think it irrelevant. However, yeah the injury would also be a trade killer. And the money side IMO.

The reason I say it’s irrelevant is because even if the draft had zero good pass rushers, a team would still not trade for Young because of the injury.  

And the injury leads to the money/5th year option thing.

If the Commanders aren’t even willing to pick up his 5th year option, no team is going to give up assets to get him under any circumstance.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MrJL said:

not trading him for less though

I'd take a 2nd for Young at this point just because of our down the road issues of who to sign and because Sweat has been good and needs a new contract. Getting a 2nd for Chase at this point might be selling high on him? We most likely won't be able to sign them all and Chase has had the least productive career of our 1st round d-linemen thus far. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I'd take a 2nd for Young at this point just because of our down the road issues of who to sign and because Sweat has been good and needs a new contract. Getting a 2nd for Chase at this point might be selling high on him? We most likely won't be able to sign them all and Chase has had the least productive career of our 1st round d-linemen thus far. 

Yeah and if we aren’t going to exercise his option, even if he plays really well, it’s unlikely he would want to resign with us anyway. So I see it as getting a second and forgoing one year of his play  and another year of franchise tag. The work ethic concerns and freelancing make me think Lavar Arrington, splash plays and some success but overall not great play.

Edited by seantaylor=god
  • Like 1

I think it’s worth noting that Chase (and our entire defense) will benefit from a better offense and scoring more points.

We have yet to see what this defense can do when playing consistently with a lead. I want to see what these guys can do when the other team becomes one dimensional.

There’s no reason to move on from Chase until we get a larger sample size. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I think it’s worth noting that Chase (and our entire defense) will benefit from a better offense and scoring more points.

We have yet to see what this defense can do when playing consistently with a lead. I want to see what these guys can do when the other team becomes one dimensional.

I agree. In fact if we had to resign or trade one of Chase or Sweat I hope we invest in the former. I’m kind of hoping that we trade Sweat for a first rounder in this upcoming draft and work on a LTD deal for Chase.

It seems most believe you must trade a good player away while on rookie deal if there’s potential you cant resign said player. I disagree completely and totally fine with having the good player for an extra season or two on the roster. 

This isn’t common practice in the NFL. 

Keep Sweat and Young and roll with opportunity to have a difference making defense. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

We won't know for sure if that will happen this year.  If I had to guess, our offense will be more of the same this coming season (primarily because of our QB situation).  I don't think we'll be lighting up the scoreboard, so we'll be having to win some close contests, where forcing turnovers might be the key to winning some games next year.  I'm not completely sold on Chase Young, and I would like to see what he can do for a full year, before making a decision on him either way.  He's going to have to beast out this year, because he might not ever get that large contract that he's seeking.  He's also going to have to be on his best behavior, and work within the system.  The rumors of him being a freelancer in 2021 w/ Sweat, and his behavior issues, gives me pause on whether or not he'll figure it out in time.  It sucks knowing that we have to wish our 1st round/2nd pick superstar, might not actually be a superstar after all.  We might have the second coming of Jadeveon Clowney.

Edited by samy316

On 4/8/2023 at 8:30 PM, Voice_of_Reason said:

I think they believe Thomas was just coming back to being healthy at the end of the season.  They really like him, I’m sure he gets a look during the off season before they make any move on him.  

He’s a goner anyway.  He’s either going to retire or be released. 

Norwell is going to be released.  Ron basically said so.  He said currently the LG competition is Charles and the guy they drafted last year who started the Dallas game who they like.  Was extremely dismissive about Norwell.  

Leon’s salary might be up for negotiation, but both are good backup options.  I do think one of them won’t be back because they already signed a new RT. 

They don’t need cap space right now.  But they will.  They also would like to get a deal done with Curl this off season.  

They say they like most all of their players. If they dip into the TE market within the first 2 rounds, I'd say Thomas in gone. They say they like all the younger guys talents and CAP value. It's just a wait and see.

Like I had stated, I could see both Norwell and Charles (or Paul) as goners if they draft a LG early.

If they draft a T early and are comfortable with them to start, Leno or Lucas could offer trade value to T difecient teams

10 hours ago, seantaylor=god said:

Yeah and if we aren’t going to exercise his option, even if he plays really well, it’s unlikely he would want to resign with us anyway. So I see it as getting a second and forgoing one year of his play  and another year of franchise tag. The work ethic concerns and freelancing make me think Lavar Arrington, splash plays and some success but overall not great play.

Good points. 

10 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Most defenses look good when playing teams that are one dimensional. Id rather take stock in how a defense plays when the offense isn't lighting up the scoreboard. That to me is more of an indication of a good D than when knowing an O has to take chances.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

image.jpeg.58b07728a65da52cc70ed7254f1d800f.jpeg

lol… Boom!

If not for guys like Bruce Allen there’d never be a quality free agent on the market seeking his second contract. Somehow this is the case each off season lol

Edited by wit33

3 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

So they’ve tagged on 3 void years maybe 

Exactly. There’s a maximum that you can do, and I think that’s what they did.  It may have been 4 void years.

This is where I was getting it from (looks like speculation)

Edited by Ball Security
  • Thanks 1

Seems like a pretty easy calculation on Chase Young 5th year.  The upside vs downside risk is very much in favor of the picking it up.  

Downside risk is that he is a mediocre starting DE, in which case you overpay by 7-8 M for one year.

Upside risk is that him realizing his potential, in which case we are now at odds with him and likely overpaying on franchise tags for 1-2 years, and then he leaves...

Edited by DiscoBob
  • Like 2

On 4/9/2023 at 9:16 PM, Warhead36 said:

Young's upside to us is worth way more than a 2nd rounder

Indeed. There is still big upside there. And I’d bet there are other teams who feel the same. Which is why I think we can get a first rounder for him. Even a second rounder, in this year‘s draft, would get us a solid starting corner or tight end on a rookie deal. I could easily be wrong of course, and I really hope I am, but my guess is he’s a bust and the longer we wait to trade him the less we are going to get.