Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: She friend-zoned him. He’s suing her for $2.3 million over it.

Cooked Crack

A man in Singapore is seeking more than $2 million in legal damages against a woman who he said caused him trauma after she rebuffed his romantic advances and told him she saw him only as a friend. 

The man, identified as drone racing executive K. Kawshigan in legal documents, alleged in a defamation lawsuit set to be heard in Singapore’s High Court next week that the woman’s rejection caused him “sustained trauma” and “reductions in his earning capacity.” The suit, which the woman is contesting, seeks about $2.3 million in damages for the alleged harm of being friend-zoned.

A separate case filed by Kawshigan in Singapore’s Magistrate Court was struck down last month for abuse of process, and the woman’s lawyers said Kawshigan was ordered to pay her legal costs. In that suit, he had sought nearly $17,000, alleging that the woman had breached an “offer” she made that included “offering room for [Kawshigan] to share inspiration, struggle and achievements” and “meeting up based on mutual availability, beyond coffee settings.”

The woman saw Kawshigan as a friend, while Kawshigan “considered her to be his ‘closest friend,’” according to court records, which said that she asked to see Kawshigan less frequently, upsetting him. He said such action would be “taking a step back” in their “relationship.” She in turn said they needed to set boundaries, urging Kawshigan to be “self-reliant.” 

Kawshigan, according to the ruling, “did not react well to this.”

He sent the woman a letter in October 2020 threatening legal action for damages stemming from “emotional distress and possible defamation.” She told Kawshigan that she was genuinely uncomfortable. He threatened that if she did not comply with his demands, she would face “damages to her personal and professional endeavours.” 

The woman agreed to participate in counseling sessions with Kawshigan, which kept his legal threats at bay, according to court records. But after some 1½ years of counseling, she felt the exercises had become meaningless, she said, as Kawshigan appeared “unable to accept her reasons for not wanting any relationship or association with him.” 

She obtained a restraining order against Kawshigan, who then filed the lawsuit in the magistrate court while the other case was pending.

Article

• Haha 4
  • Thumb down 1

You know how many times I've been turned down? A lot. You know how many women I've actually known have turned me down? A lot. Funny thing is, when I tell people what happened and that said woman turned me down, an insane amount of people tell me to do something or give me a negative reaction. I've been told that they were using me, leading me on, I should ghost them, I should tell them off, etc. You know what I do? I say ok, never bring it up again and remain friends with them. In fact, one girl that I was trying to get with from a while had me in her wedding. I was just over at their house this Christmas and it hasn't been weird at all.

I know it sucks getting turned down, but turning into a giant baby does nothing to help your cause. I haven't always been this learned, maybe it comes with age, but I see this a lot and I don't understand where the anger from the man comes from in this type of situation. Are you going to MAKE her love you? Do yo want her to pretend? Would you really want to be with someone who doesn't want to be with you? Try someone else, dude.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

2 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

I've never been turned down by any woman...mainly because I've never asked any woman out in my entire life lol...

I can teach you! Not how to get a woman, but how to master the art of getting rejected!

• Haha 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

After my last GF and I broke up, I resolved to tell new aquantainces that I was only looking for friends. That seems to work for me. I'm not looking for a GF, only friends at this stage of my life. I decided this when I was getting ready to move too.

People who can't respect being friends don't deserve any attention.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

I tell my kids, the wonderful thing about trying to date is you only have to get it right once.  I was a serial monogamist, and it hurt when it didn't work.   

Dating is like the statement, "Fall down 2 times. Get up 3 times."

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

I know it sucks getting turned down, but turning into a giant baby does nothing to help your cause. I haven't always been this learned, maybe it comes with age, but I see this a lot and I don't understand where the anger from the man comes from in this type of situation. Are you going to MAKE her love you? Do yo want her to pretend? Would you really want to be with someone who doesn't want to be with you? Try someone else, dude.

It's from a generation of kids that have had their asses kissed by their parents and family members so they think they're special.  They've been told how great they are, how wonderful they are and they believe it.

I'll never forget going to see a movie with a buddy of mine that I used to work with.  This guy was older, has been enlisted, and had seen some ****.  At the time, I'm in my mid 20s, he's probably in his early 40s so he comes from a bit of a different time.  And a different place than Tysons Corner, he's from a more rural area.

There's a group of teenagers behind us making noise, not shutting the **** up and it's not even the previews yet, the lights are on and they're showing the commercials for local businesses and other stuff so I really didn't care about the noise.  But my buddy who's always kind of on edge to begin with turns around and asks them to be quiet.  The kids are like, WTF and when my buddy turned back around to face the screen, out of the corner of his eye he saw one of them make a face at him.  

I'll never forget it.  He whips back around and he goes "You think you're special?  Your parents have been telling you you're special your entire life.  You're not special, you're not special at all, you're ****ing average.  Now shut the **** up and stop making noise."

I ****ing died laughing.  The teenagers had no idea what to say, it was fantastic.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, gbear said:

I tell my kids, the wonderful thing about trying to date is you only have to get it right once.  I was a serial monogamist, and it hurt when it didn't work.   

Dating is like the statement, "Fall down 2 times. Get up 3 times."

I remember talking to someone about that when I was going through my divorce. It's amazing when you realize that at the end of your life, you'll look back and see that out of all the romantic relationships you've ever embarked upon AT THE MOST only one will have a happy outcome. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

14 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

It's amazing when you realize that at the end of your life, you'll look back and see that out of all the romantic relationships you've ever embarked upon AT THE MOST only one will have a happy outcome. 

At face value, that statement doesn’t ring true at all.

What’s a happy outcome?

58 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

It's from a generation of kids that have had their asses kissed by their parents and family members so they think they're special.  They've been told how great they are, how wonderful they are and they believe it.

You are so right!  Lets put a little star by your name on the fridge there...

• Haha 5

I don't get why people fear the friend zone.  I am a guy.  I like girls.  I like being surrounded by girls.  I find girls way more fascinating and interesting.  The more girls you are friends with, the more girls they will pull into your orbit.  Because girls pull in more girls.  I didn't have sisters, but I see girls like sisters I never had.  This idea that girls and guys are only meant to have mating relationships is pretty silly. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

59 minutes ago, gbear said:

I tell my kids, the wonderful thing about trying to date is you only have to get it right once.

I suppose getting it right depends on what our expectations are for each relationship. 🙂

Rejection is tough for everyone. Some definitely can deal with it better than others.

And being heart broken (ie. stressed) makes ppl do irrational things. Especially if low self-esteem is an underlying condition.

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'll never forget going to see a movie with a buddy of mine that I used to work with.  This guy was older, has been enlisted, and had seen some ****.  At the time, I'm in my mid 20s, he's probably in his early 40s so he comes from a bit of a different time.  And a different place than Tysons Corner, he's from a more rural area.

There's a group of teenagers behind us making noise, not shutting the **** up and it's not even the previews yet, the lights are on and they're showing the commercials for local businesses and other stuff so I really didn't care about the noise.  But my buddy who's always kind of on edge to begin with turns around and asks them to be quiet.  The kids are like, WTF and when my buddy turned back around to face the screen, out of the corner of his eye he saw one of them make a face at him.  

I'll never forget it.  He whips back around and he goes "You think you're special?  Your parents have been telling you you're special your entire life.  You're not special, you're not special at all, you're ****ing average.  Now shut the **** up and stop making noise."

I ****ing died laughing.  The teenagers had no idea what to say, it was fantastic.

Ladies & Gentlemen, motivational speaker Matt Foley in da house!

62181BE7-5BBB-4A51-BC46-D6B29D616C95.gif

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I didn’t know you were friends with my dad. Small world.

• Haha 3

39 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

At face value, that statement doesn’t ring true at all.

What’s a happy outcome?

A successful relationship that lasts. 

I've had this discussion before. I understand that people can amicably and mutually part ways, but that's still a failed relationship. Most people still enter into exclusive romantic relationships without the desired outcome of breaking up. So, when they end, that's not a positive outcome. 

That's not to say every ending involves throwing plates, yelling, or anger. 

5 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

A successful relationship that lasts. 

I've had this discussion before. I understand that people can amicably and mutually part ways, but that's still a failed relationship. Most people still enter into exclusive romantic relationships without the desired outcome of breaking up. So, when they end, that's not a positive outcome. 

That's not to say every ending involves throwing plates, yelling, or anger. 

Is that your standard/metric for all relationships? Romantic only?

A couple who spend a lifetime together… but spend the last 20 years miserable and abusive to each other… does that qualify as a successful relationship?

Edited by Die Hard

As I get older I find I like the plutonic company of women way more than men anyway. Maybe its cause I'm married abut even when I'm attracted to a woman that's not my wife, I have no problem being friends. If anything it makes it easier cause I keep them at an appropriate distance and I don't have to explain why.... we both know already. 

Now that I think about it, im not sure when that started. But im much more comfortable around women now than I ever have been and the attraction hasn't changed. I was friend zoned alot in my day too. Most of my best friends were woman who were wayyy to hot for me and we were all cool about it. 

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I remember talking to someone about that when I was going through my divorce. It's amazing when you realize that at the end of your life, you'll look back and see that out of all the romantic relationships you've ever embarked upon AT THE MOST only one will have a happy outcome. 

I said this exact same thing in a family debate once...nobody wanted to hear it lol. "95% of all your relationships will not last. Then again, they weren't supposed to."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Is that your standard/metric for all relationships? Romantic only?

A couple who spend a lifetime together… but spend the last 20 years miserable and abusive to each other… does that qualify as a successful relationship?

No, I'd say that too is a bad outcome. Why? 

Edit: I think you're trying too hard to fight on this.

"All but at most one romantic relationship in any given person's lifetime will have a bad outcome" was the statement. That's true in any number of ways. Either you have a series of breakups, end up widowed from your soulmate, grow old in a loveless marriage, etc. They all add up to those people have one or fewer relationships ending well. Again, I didn't mean that every breakup or split had to mean that you hate the person after...just that the romantic aspect didn't work. 

Rarely, we find our person and grow old happily and peacefully together. 

Edited by TD_washingtonredskins
  • Like 1