Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Everything 118th Congress Thread

@DCGoldPants

24 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

It's never about his own seat, it's about controlling senate for him and has been for a while.

When's the last time anyone other then him was Majority Leader when GOP controlled the Senate?

He's also not acting like someone that will be dead anytime soon, and has made that clear despite folks concerns for his health.  He's well in his way to dying in office (bless his heart).

Him and Biden are about year apart in age, for context.

Obviously, he wants to control the senate, but he's not concerned about losing it. Mitch knows he'll have another whack at it in a couple of years (some years more favorably than others), but he cares about the Supreme Court. As you can see, he's sat three, terrible, useless judges that will be there until they die, he is more than satisfied with what he's accomplished. Losing the senate is just a battle, McConnell has won the war.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

Obviously, he wants to control the senate, but he's not concerned about losing it. Mitch knows he'll have another whack at it in a couple of years (some years more favorably than others), but he cares about the Supreme Court. As you can see, he's sat three, terrible, useless judges that will be there until they die, he is more than satisfied with what he's accomplished. Losing the senate is just a battle, McConnell has won the war.

I believe you're underestimating how much he enjoys the grim reaper role...the war is never over with folks like that...

• Like 3

A GOP house with any foresight would be willing to turn the RINO label on the MAGA folks in an attempt to take back control. It'll never happen because it would mean sacrificing their nonexistent majority and may lead to those hardcore arsonists creating their own MAGA party that would make them both in the minority for many cycles. But in the long run, MAGA without the GOP goes bankrupt without the leadership or ability needed. 

• Haha 2

They'll find someone eventually...this is like watching seasons of American Idol where got old the folks they got mad thinking they could sing when they clearly...

Show me something new, like election day and we don't have a CR yet.  That may force Turtle to come down and start groin kicking people like Micky Mouse in South Park.

On 10/21/2023 at 6:37 PM, Califan007 The Constipated said:

I gotta use this gif again lol:

I never thought to ask, do UK PMs write letters and memos like that all the time? 

They seem to be a country full of Simon Cowells the ones get elected to government.

Friendly reminder that our founding fathers could write scathing remarks of each other back in the day as well.

Simpler times back then...and duels...

Looks like a lot of people might have off for the holidays. I hope they are going to be able to feed their families come Christmas. 

if not, screw ‘em. They should be rich and have a job in congress that still allows you to be paid. 

stop eating avocado toast so you can save up for a rainy day Marcia. What’s more important? Having your coffee or serving Turkey for Christmas? Huh Marcia Huh? 

oh and good luck finding the money to help you out with your forced birth.

• Sad 1
  • Thumb up 2

Dems should say they will never vote for anyone who voted to not certify the 2020 election, so if Repubs want/expect/need their votes to get a new speaker, they need to nominate someone who didn't in any way participate in the Big Lie or January 6th, and it's not negotiable. Ultimately it probably won't matter in terms of who becomes speaker, but getting that out into the national dialogue for the public to hear at least gives a rational reason for not voting for any of the GOP candidates beyond "It's not our job to save the Republicans." And it hits harder than saying the candidate needs to be a moderate.

Edited by Califan007 The Constipated
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

Dems should say they will never vote for anyone who voted to not certify the 2020 election, so if Repubs want/expect/need their votes to get a new speaker, they need to nominate someone who didn't in any way participate in the Big Lie or January 6th, and it's not negotiable. Ultimately it probably won't matter in terms of who becomes speaker, but getting that out into the national dialogue for the public to hear at least gives a rational reason for not voting for any of the GOP candidates beyond "It's not our job to save the Republicans." And it hits harder than saying the candidate needs to be a moderate.

Definitely a great idea, plus useful for campaign ads. Let We the People know that Democrats won't support any Fascists in any leadership positions in Congress.

Edited to add: Any Fascists in Congress period.

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Thumb up 1

I think there’s a better chance the dems can find 4 republicans to vote for Jeffries, than the GOP can pick someone enough dems would support to make up for the R’s they lose on the nomination 

I laid out that option at the start. This is why. The Republicans are totally out of control as a party. I don’t see how they fix it. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I suspect that none of these assholes are moderates. 

Sadly, moderate republicans in Congress or in state legislature bodies are an even smaller number than intelligent republicans.

Many of the ideologues and grifters are intelligent enough, just so cognitively corrupt in key ways that their intelligence level doesn't serve to redeem their thoroughly indecent  personhood. 

And "assholes" is absolutely the most benign label they merit.

I never thought I'd mourn the Reagan era GOP but there were far, far, less a percentage of elected gopers that lived in the deep end of their ugliest pools than what has manifested in reaction to Obama's election and maturing to this huge level of support for the vile, pathetic, ignorant, malicious, thoroughly corrupt in every way, and traitorous (to the idea of a democratic republic) trump era.ned he arise of one of the most disgusting, pathetic, and vile h beings in recorded history.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Jumbo said:

manifested in reaction to Obama's election and maturing to this huge level of support for the vile, pathetic, ignorant, malicious, thoroughly corrupt in every way, and traitorous (to the idea of a democratic republic) trump era.ned he arise of

I am forever stuck wondering if my worldview in this is correct - which is that this *really* got kicked up several notches and spiraled out of control with Obama first election. It’s nice to see an older person have the same view. 

it coincides with when I started to really pay attention so it’s hard to know if that really happened or if I just… started paying attention 

Personally, I think right wing news is 💯 the reason for moderate Republicans disappearing. It really doesn't move the needle for ratings when the only difference between parties is a few talking points. And it's all about shock value and appealing to the lowest common demoninator of the party.

It's the Jerry Springer effect of politics. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 8

4 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Personally, I think right wing news is 💯 the reason for moderate Republicans disappearing. It really doesn't move the needle for ratings when the only difference between parties is a few talking points. And it's all about shock value and appealing to the lowest common demoninator of the party.

It's the Jerry Springer effect of politics. 

that’s part of it. The internet allowing crazy to find itself and spread easily is part of it. 

other things I think people gloss over to easily:

the country has made dramatic and significant progressive shifts in the last 20 years. It’s natural to see those opposed to it rebel and become angry about it. That’s sort of how that works.

add to it the financial crisis and covid - people are generally suckers for a scapegoat when their life is turned upside down, and liberalism/progressivism is always going to be *a* scapegoat on the table (and in the last 20 years it’s been the go-to one) 

Plus you had a black president and Clinton was at least a serious possibility to be a female president, so that riles up the racists and sexists. 

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

38 minutes ago, tshile said:

that’s part of it. The internet allowing crazy to find itself and spread easily is part of it. 

other things I think people gloss over to easily:

the country has made dramatic and significant progressive shifts in the last 20 years. It’s natural to see those opposed to it rebel and become angry about it. That’s sort of how that works.

add to it the financial crisis and covid - people are generally suckers for a scapegoat when their life is turned upside down, and liberalism/progressivism is always going to be *a* scapegoat on the table (and in the last 20 years it’s been the go-to one) 

Plus you had a black president and Clinton was at least a serious possibility to be a female president, so that riles up the racists and sexists. 

Clinton would have won except Comey's letter to Congress about her emails and server made the turn to those who don't want a woman for president even though she was the most qualified and not a Fascist. As soon as that action hit the media, I knew it was over for her. And we got a liar and Fascist. 

Our country would be a lot better off right now, she'd be serving her second term, and the younger generation would be poised to run the country in the the future.

My granddaughter just turned 18, days too late to register to vote this year. I truly fear for our young women and men too and our young children if the Fascists win this and next year.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, tshile said:

I am forever stuck wondering if my worldview in this is correct - which is that this *really* got kicked up several notches and spiraled out of control with Obama first election. It’s nice to see an older person have the same view. 

it coincides with when I started to really pay attention so it’s hard to know if that really happened or if I just… started paying attention 

I think it's been since the Newt Era.  The internet just made it all more noticeable.  And smart phones even more so.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Clinton would have won except Comey's letter to Congress about her emails and server

I know that makes the people that thought she was such a great candidate feel better about the loss, but I don’t agree with that at all. 

Just now, TheGreatBuzz said:

I think it's been since the Newt Era.  The internet just made it all more noticeable.  And smart phones even more so.

Yeah that’s one argument I see a lot. 

another is the Regan era was really the start of it. 

16 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

My granddaughter just turned 18, days too late to register to vote this year. I truly fear for our young women and men too and our young children if the Fascists win this and next year.

Maybe it depends on the state, but I thought you could register at 17 if you turned 18 by election day.

• Like 1