Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Everything 118th Congress Thread

@DCGoldPants

2 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

You can pick up on the talking points... "Most popular Republican" has been one they have pushed.....

I think they probably went with that because it's vague and hence more or less unfalsifiable. They can just repeat it and without any context (are they talking about popular with the public? popular within the House? popular within the House Republicans?) or any polling data it can't be fully refuted (though it can certainly be laughed at).

There's not much else they can really use for Jordan. He's never passed a bill in 16 years. He was intimately involved with an attempted coup. He's been credibly accused by multiple people of turning a blind eye to systemic molestation of young men. He's nothing but a loudmouth obnoxious blowhard.

• Like 3

But, he's been more visibly abusing his authorities at the command of his master than anybody else. 

(And therefore has probably had more air time of Fox News gushing about the incredible work hes doing, revealing the ironclad proof of the corruption of The Biden Family than anybody else.)

51 minutes ago, mistertim said:

There's not much else they can really use for Jordan. He's never passed a bill in 16 years. He was intimately involved with an attempted coup. He's been credibly accused by multiple people of turning a blind eye to systemic molestation of young men. He's nothing but a loudmouth obnoxious blowhard.

• Like 1

Unless the gop changes the rule to get rid of the option, where one person can call for a motion to remove speaker; this will keep happening.

Everytime the gop actually try’s to govern or reach a deal with Dems; the maga wing will call for removal of the speaker.

Giving Biden money for Ukraine,Israel Will require a deal with Dems. Same on any budget deal.  Maga can’t have that; so they will call for removal.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Every single other speaker has had that 1 vote to remove the speaker prior to Pelosi (circa 2019).  Pelosi removed it because she was actually adept and prescient at politics and realized that post-Meadows on Boehner, this could happen to any speaker. You are bound to piss off any singular or small fraction of your conference from time to time.  

I think it is more likely that 5 GOP members cut a deal with the Democrats than 218 GOP members agree on a speaker.  I think the Freedom caucus will just use this to shutdown the government. 

Those 5 GOP members would have a lot of power for their constituents.  8 members already sold the conference down the river anyway.   In fact the 8 who took out McCarthy and Scalise are also targeting the moderates.

I think I already suggested this.  

Political news and talk is pretty empty on this... wonder why.... 

6 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

I think it is more likely that 5 GOP members cut a deal with the Democrats than 218 GOP members agree on a speaker.  I think the Freedom caucus will just use this to shutdown the government. 

Those 5 GOP members would have a lot of power for their constituents.  8 members already sold the conference down the river anyway.   In fact the 8 who took out McCarthy and Scalise are also targeting the moderates.

I think I already suggested this.  

Political news and talk is pretty empty on this... wonder why.... 

Republicans see working with Democrats on this in the same boat as someone asking them to kiss their own sister. Unless there's a gun to their head they not doing it.

• Thanks 1

There's 31 GOP members in the "Problem Solvers Caucus".  They all lost it and blamed the Dems when this happened (2 weeks ago).  But we'll see... it's been two weeks. 

You don't think there is something brewing with the 6 votes for McHenry?  I suspect the Dems cheered because those votes were a signal for some moderates open to deal.

I can dream that Congress people are actually shrewd...

19 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

You don't think there is something brewing with the 6 votes for McHenry?

Not right now. No. 

Anyone who breaks doesn't at a minimum, support only a nominee that had zero Dem support, becomes immediately persona non grata in the current GOP. Even if they represent a moderate district who would be more open to it. 

• Thumb up 1

Any Republican who joins Dems to elect a speaker will 100% be primaried, so the only way they can feasibly do it is if they represent a very moderate district that doesn't like Trump or the MAGA mouth breather caucus. Otherwise any vote with the Dems is basically political suicide.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

18 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Don't let them off the hook, then...

For all we know McConnell is just acting nice to limit potential damage to his numbers in the next election. 

The math favours them getting the Senate back, but this is the same dude who helped get GOP in this mess in the first place. 

Don't let them off the hook, keep count if you want...dont expect him to met anyone halfway if he's majority leader again.

I don't think McConnell is worried about his next term because:

1. His seat is always safe.

2. Dude will probably be dead in a couple years and he knows it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Simmsy said:

I don't think McConnell is worried about his next term because:

1. His seat is always safe.

2. Dude will probably be dead in a couple years and he knows it.

It's never about his own seat, it's about controlling senate for him and has been for a while.

When's the last time anyone other then him was Majority Leader when GOP controlled the Senate?

He's also not acting like someone that will be dead anytime soon, and has made that clear despite folks concerns for his health.  He's well in his way to dying in office (bless his heart).

Him and Biden are about year apart in age, for context.

Edited by Renegade7