Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gun Related News/Control

Cooked Crack

Power restored to nearly 8K South Seattle residents after outage caused by gunfire

Power has been restored to most customers in South Seattle after an outage that impacted nearly 8,000 people.

Seattle City Light tweeted about the incident just before 7:30 p.m. South Seattle and the Rainier Valley were the areas most heavily impacted.

Around 7:30 p.m., 7,803 customers were without power. At 8:46 p.m., Seattle City Light tweeted that power had been restored and the outage map showed just three customers without power.

Seattle City Light said that the outage were caused by bullets hitting an underground electrical conduit.

Just after 7:30 p.m., the Seattle Police Department tweeted about a shooting where someone suffered a graze wound to the head in the 3900 block of South Warsaw Street, which police chief Adrian Diaz later confirmed was the shooting that knocked out power to thousands. The victim suffered non-life-threatening injuries, police said.

Click on the link for the full article

Dozens of local sheriffs say they won't enforce new Illinois gun law

Days after Illinois passed a law banning assault-style weapons and large-capacity magazines, dozens of county sheriffs say they won't enforce the measure, claiming it is unconstitutional.

Displeasure appears strongest around the Chicago area, where top law enforcement officials in McHenry, DeKalb, Kane, DuPage, La Salle, Grundy, and Kankakee counties have publicly stated they will not enforce the new legislation, WLS-TV reported.

DuPage County and its 920,000 residents is the largest so far to defy the law.

Lawmakers passed the "Protect Illinois Communities Act," on Jan. 6, banning the sale, manufacture, delivery and purchase of assault weapons across the entire state.

Gov. J.B. Pritzker signed the bill into law Tuesday night, which also prohibits most individuals under age 21 from buying any type of firearm in the state.

"No Illinoisan should have to go through life fearing their loved one could be next in an ever-growing list of mass shooting victims," Pritzker tweeted, after signing the bill.

The legislation became effective immediately, although to what level individual counties enforce the rules remains to be seen.

@PleaseBlitz More selective enforcement of the law.

Possible gun waiting period in Virginia angers gun rights supporters, divides lawmakers

Gun rights advocates are pushing back against Virginia legislation that would require people to wait several days before being allowed to purchase a gun.

The bill would force buyers to wait three days after they complete “the written consent form to have a licensed dealer obtain criminal history record information.”

It’s among the proposed range of bills that Democrats say will improve safety, including gun-storage measures and various limits on assault-style weapons, The Associated Press reported.

“It’s totally insane,” said Philip Van Cleave, president of Virginia Citizens Defense League, a gun rights advocacy group.

The group and gun-rights proponents rallied Monday at the Virginia Capitol during Lobby Day, an annual day of firearm advocacy.

“It doesn’t help,” Van Cleave argued. “California has a 10-day waiting period, and every time you turn around, there’s major crime going on out there.”

The bill was introduced by Democratic Del. Cliff Hayes, who said the idea came from family members of victims in Chesapeake, where a Walmart supervisor shot and killed six of his co-workers last November.

Police said Andre Bing legally purchased the 9 mm handgun just hours before the killings and left a note on his phone, accusing his colleagues of mocking him.

“If there’s a ‘cooling off’ period, it’s less likely that a homicide by handgun will occur,” Hayes said. “Family members have asked that we do something to help prevent other deaths.”

Van Cleave said it wasn’t fair that one “idiot” could influence policy in such a significant way.

Last school my wife worked at before she retired.

Henrico middle school student in custody after bringing gun to school

HENRICO COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — A Glen Allen middle school student is in custody after a gun was found in his backpack on Friday morning.

A representative from Henrico County Public Schools confirmed that a student was taken into custody at Holman Middle School on Friday, Jan. 20 for having a weapon in his backpack.

https://www.wric.com/news/local-news/henrico-county/henrico-middle-school-student-in-custody-after-bringing-weapon-to-school/

On 1/21/2023 at 12:25 PM, Larry said:

Obviously, he was worried about school shootings, and was being prepared.  

I was sarcastically going to say "only a good student with a gun can stop a bad student with a gun," but I won't be even a little surprised if there isn't a lawyer or two who tries to trot a variation of the idea.  

Gun violence deaths: How the U.S. compares with the rest of the world

The quick succession of horrific shootings this month in California has once again shone a spotlight on how frequent this type of violence is in the United States compared with other wealthy countries.

The U.S. has the 32nd-highest rate of deaths from gun violence in the world: 3.96 deaths per 100,000 people in 2019. That was more than eight times as high as the rate in Canada, which had 0.47 deaths per 100,000 people — and nearly 100 times higher than in the United Kingdom, which had 0.04 deaths per 100,000.

On a state-by-state calculation, the rates can be even higher. In the District of Columbia, the rate is 18.5 per 100,000 — the highest in the United States. The second-highest is in Louisiana: 9.34 per 100,000. In Georgia and Colorado — the scenes of the two most recent mass shootings — the rates are a bit closer to the national average: 5.62 per 100,000 in Georgia and 2.27 in Colorado.

The numbers come from a massive database maintained by the University of Washington's Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation, which tracks lives lost in every country, in every year, by every possible cause of death.

To be sure, there are quite a few countries where gun violence is a substantially larger problem than in the United States — particularly in Central America and the Caribbean. Mokdad said a major driver is the large presence of gangs and drug trafficking. "The gangs and drug traffickers fight among themselves to get more territory, and they fight the police," Mokdad said. And citizens who are not involved are often caught in the crossfire.

Another country with widespread gun violence is Venezuela, which for the last several years has been grappling with political unrest and an economic meltdown.

We need more good dogs with guns to counter the bad dogs with guns...

Man dies after dog steps on rifle, causing it to fire, Kansas officials say

A man died in Kansas on Saturday after, officials believe, he was struck by a rifle that discharged when a dog stepped on it.

The man was shot around 9:40 a.m. in a truck in the 1600 block of East 80th Street, a country road about 45 miles south of Wichita, Wellington Fire and EMS Chief Tim Hay said. The dog stepped on the rifle in the back of the truck, causing it to fire and hit the back of the man, who was found in the front passenger seat, he said.

1 hour ago, Cooked Crack said:

Just coming here to post this.  Wasn’t even sure which thread I would post it in because there’s not a “you got to be ****ting me” thread.

You blow off multiple people that tell you a kid has a gun?  

I hope she wins a bazillion million and **** slaps the piss out of whoever the asshat administrator(s) are.

The article leaves it up in the air what happened here. 

there’s lots of quotes in there that make it look bad - and they’re getting all the play. But there’s one line that says the kid was searched and nothing was found. 

I’m not trying to bet on the side of the administrators because that seems like a dumb bet - but I’d caution against taking her lawyers version of events as irrefutable truth…

10 minutes ago, tshile said:

The article leaves it up in the air what happened here. 

there’s lots of quotes in there that make it look bad - and they’re getting all the play. But there’s one line that says the kid was searched and nothing was found. 

I’m not trying to bet on the side of the administrators because that seems like a dumb bet - but I’d caution against taking her lawyers version of events as irrefutable truth…

Where does it say the kid was searched?  I read that a teacher went through his book bag, but I didn’t see anything where the kid was searched.

“About an hour later, another teacher went to an administrator and said she had taken it upon herself to search the boy’s bookbag, but warned that she thought the boy had put the gun in his pocket before going outside for recess, Toscano said. 

“The administrator downplayed the report from the teacher and the possibility of a gun, saying — and I quote — ‘Well, he has little pockets,’ ” Toscano said.

When another employee who had heard the boy might have a gun asked an administrator to search the boy, he was turned down, Toscano said.

18 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Where does it say the kid was searched?  I read that a teacher went through his book bag, but I didn’t see anything where the kid was searched

Superintendent George Parker III, who has been sharply criticized by parents and teachers in the wake of the shooting, has said that at least one administrator was told on the day of the shooting that the boy might have a weapon, but no weapon was found when his backpack was searched”

i guess it was his book bag that was searched. 

the school is being vague with details. Maybe it’s because they’re hiding things because all the accusations are true. 

My point is I don’t think it’s wise to just take all the accusations levied by the teachers lawyer as gospel. 

Basically every organization has a policy to not comment on ongoing investigations. There’s a reason for that. 

generally it’s not wise to just believe everything one side is saying, especially when the other side isn’t saying anything. 

idk seems like basic common sense given the number of times we’ve seen early accusations turn out to be complete garbage. 

Edited by tshile

Homestead Kindergarten student found with gun in backpack, father facing felony charge

A South Florida father is facing a felony charge after his 6-year-old daughter brought a gun to school.

According to Homestead police, officers responded to the Keys Gate Charter School, located at 2000 SE 28th Ave. after administrators were alerted about a student who was found with a gun.

Police said it was a Kindergarten student and that the firearm was found in the child’s backpack.

Investigators determined the father of the child, 39-year-old Reginald McCoy, put the gun in the backpack and forgot it was in there when the student was brought to school, police said.

No injuries were reported.

Gun owners favor requiring parents to lock up weapons. It’s lawmakers who don’t.

After a 6-year-old shot a teacher in Virginia, there will be another push for safe gun storage laws across the country. Most will likely fail.

In the three weeks since a first-grader in Virginia took his mother’s pistol to school and allegedly shot a teacher in the chest, an angry and exasperated public has again asked why lawmakers have not done more to ensure that gun owners lock up their firearms.

But it isn’t the gun owners who have stood in the way of their own accountability. In fact, the vast majority would embrace it. Two-thirds who responded to a 2019 poll said they supported a mandate for all of them to secure their firearms — and yet, four years later, amid the worst stretch of school shootings in history, fewer than half the states in the country have passed any such law.

The reason is simple, according to gun-safety researchers and lawmakers who have tried for years to pass safe-storage legislation: Conservative politicians fear the political power of gun lobbyists who oppose those regulations more than they fear constituents who support them.

“This is all about politics and culture wars,” said Daniel Webster, co-director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Violence Solutions. “The basic rationality, and our general instinct that we want to protect our kids, gets sadly pushed aside.”

aint-nothing-gonna-happen-nothing-happen

The only way meaningful and effective gun control legislation will get passed in this country is if the gun lobby is dismantled, which will never happen.  Politicians care more about the money they get from gun lobbyists than they do about the safety of their constituents.