Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mount Rushmore of Local Sports Media?

Thinking Skins

I didn't know if this was worthy of a new thread on this but I was sleeping on this and wanted to discuss it.  

Who's on the mount Rushmore of local sports coverage. 

My top two slots go to 

1. George Michael

2. Ken Beatrice

After that in my opinion there's a huge gap.

It could be Kornheiser, but I was never a fan of his cause he hung up on callers, but he was a reporter and radio guy now on TV (and found some possible lies on Ken Beatrice 's resume back in 1981 which I think could have impacted things between them. 

There's Wilbon, who I did like for a while but I don't know if he's up there. 

There's Keim, who I really like but is he limited because he does only football?

Maybe Steve Buckhantz who started on channel 5 (maybe not started but that's where I was introduced to him) and did bullets games for years. 

I guess you'd have to mention the sports junkies. They're popular and have longevity. But they're hit and miss for me. But you can't ignore that they've had an impact on things like some of the radio slang and just the culture locally. 

John Thompson went from coach to radio to tv where he offered a different perspective as Joe Da Fan. 

Doc Walker isn't for everybody but he's been around since the 80s and is still going strong. 

Who else? I can't name the 4 I'd put without some uncertainty. Maybe gun to my head I'm going Keim and Buckhantz for those last two. 

Any thoughts?

I'm sad I didn't remember Frank Herzog.

I don't know about Thom, but he has the longevity.

Pollin is another name I like and has been around a long time and he has a great encyclopedic memory of things. But I thought that as great as he was behind the scenes, was he really a personality that people gravitated towards? 

I also considered Czabe but thought he didn't have the longevity.

But remember I'm doing this from memory and don't have their resume's in front of me, and I'm curious to see who else is named. 

- Dan Steinberg? 

- Does James Brown count? 

- Jim Vance? 

- Sally Jenkins?

Thinking about it more, you probably have four categories for the four people:

Local sports anchor: George Michael

Local print media: Tom Boswell

Local radio: Junkies

Who would get the fourth would be open to debate. Given the outsize influence of the Redskins, I would probably consider Sonny due to him being the longtime color guy spanning both Frank and Larry, as well as for his longtime appearances on shoes like Redskins Report.

5 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Thinking about it more, you probably have four categories for the four people:

Local sports anchor: George Michael

Local print media: Tom Boswell

Local radio: Junkies

Who would get the fourth would be open to debate. Given the outsize influence of the Redskins, I would probably consider Sonny due to him being the longtime color guy spanning both Frank and Larry, as well as for his longtime appearances on shoes like Redskins Report.

I can respect that. But I'd put Beatrice above the Junkies every day. 

As far as the 4th, I'd go for game announcer, and we'd have a choice between Buck and Frank. As much as I love Frank I think I'm going to go with Buck for this one.

• Like 1

1. Ken Beatrice... the GENIUS. I have never heard anyone before or since with the breadth of knowledge he had about ANY sport, and instantly could call it up. As far as I'm concerned there has never been a better radio sports show than his.  YAW NEXT! 

2. Glenn Brenner

3. Frank Herzog, Sonny & Sam (have to be together.)

4. Steve Buckhantz

And of course, that guy who did the Bang Radio Hour and now does the Bleeding Burgundy podcast every Monday and Friday at 5. I've heard he's just about the nicest fella, y'know.

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 4
  • Thumb up 2

23 minutes ago, Bang said:

1. Ken Beatrice... the GENIUS. I have never heard anyone before or since with the breadth of knowledge he had about ANY sport, and instantly could call it up. As far as I'm concerned there has never been a better radio sports show than his.  YAW NEXT! 

2. Glenn Brenner

3. Frank Herzog, Sonny & Sam (have to be together.)

4. Steve Buckhantz

And of course, that guy who did the Bang Radio Hour and now does the Bleeding Burgundy podcast every Monday and Friday at 5. I've heard he's just about the nicest fella, y'know.

~Bang

It's hard to argue with this lineup.  I think I might swap Buckhantz with Boswell but I can see the argument for Buckhantz.

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Wilbon should be disqualified for becoming such a DC hater once he became fully national, and I hate saying this because I used to look for columns from him and Kornheiser all the time back in the day.

As someone who's apathy leans towards not liking DC, this makes Wilbon more endearing to me, not less.  I totally get it and embrace it.

Let's go to the videotape for this. I have Warner Wolf as #3 behind Ken Beatrice & Sonny, Sam & Frank. Wolf was one of the 1st sportscasters to use video highlights in his reporting. 

Bonus points for Wolf for ripping off the word "Plantation" on the sign for his community because he thought it was racist. Oh, and he was in his 80s when he did it.

Legendary New York broadcaster Warner Wolf was arrested in Florida for defacing property in his gated community, TMZ reports.

Wolf had lobbied the homeowners association to remove the word “plantation” — which he found offensive — from the name of the community: Classic Plantation Estates.

When his arguments fell on deaf ears, Wolf — according to the police report — removed the word himself from the sign, which hung above a water fountain.

https://nypost.com/2019/02/08/legendary-sportscaster-warner-wolf-arrested-over-gated-community-sign/

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

As someone who's apathy leans towards not liking DC, this makes Wilbon more endearing to me, not less.  I totally get it and embrace it.

I remember one time watching PTI one day recently and Wilbon jus took it too far, came after WaPo and even Tony called him out causing an immediate backtrack...

I never bought into the "he's trying to seem impartial now" defense because reading between the lines even when he wrote columns for them you could tell he was reporting on the DC teams, not adopting them, and was still Chicago through and through.

Edited by Renegade7

I would never put Wilbon on the list after his comments about Sean Taylor’s passing.

Warner Wolf.  I remember him on Channel 9 after Glenn Brenner passed away.  But he wasn’t there all that long fro what I remember.  Did he have another local impact?

George Michael 

Ken Beatrice (by reputation for me, not familiar with his work)

Sonny, Sam, and Frank 

Boswell

15 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I remember one time watching PTI one day recently and Wilbon jus took it too far, came after WaPo and even Tony called him out causing an immediate backtrack...

I never bought into the "he's trying to seem impartial now" defense because reading between the lines even when he wrote columns for them you could tell he was reporting on the DC teams, not adopting them, and was still Chicago through and through.

That's fine, I don't begrudge him for that.

• Thumb up 2

51 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Warner Wolf.  I remember him on Channel 9 after Glenn Brenner passed away.  But he wasn’t there all that long fro what I remember.  Did he have another local impact?

Wolf was at 9 in the early to mid 70s and left for NYC. Glenn replaced him and had his long run, and then Wolf came back for a while after that.

Also appalling there's no Rene Knott or Bernie Smilowicz love in here

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Let's go to the videotape for this. I have Warner Wolf as #3 behind Ken Beatrice & Sonny, Sam & Frank. Wolf was one of the 1st sportscasters to use video highlights in his reporting. 

Bonus points for Wolf for ripping off the word "Plantation" on the sign for his community because he thought it was racist. Oh, and he was in his 80s when he did it.

Legendary New York broadcaster Warner Wolf was arrested in Florida for defacing property in his gated community, TMZ reports.

Wolf had lobbied the homeowners association to remove the word “plantation” — which he found offensive — from the name of the community: Classic Plantation Estates.

When his arguments fell on deaf ears, Wolf — according to the police report — removed the word himself from the sign, which hung above a water fountain.

https://nypost.com/2019/02/08/legendary-sportscaster-warner-wolf-arrested-over-gated-community-sign/

Plus Wolf's from DC. He's associated more with NY obviously but he grew up in DC. Even showed up in Rocky IV to help save America from the commies. 🤓

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2