Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2024 & Presidential Cage Match: Dark Brandon 46 vs Felonious Farty 45

88Comrade2000

10 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Every single GOP candidate should loudly note that Trump has no stamina to do the debate. 

They should, and they should call him out on his indictments.  But they're cowards for the most part.

• Like 2

@Cooked Crack

His point was 100% correct.  Listless vessels who hate your own side of the party, and namecall conservatives are the Trump winf.  These people aren't "conservative".  

They don't even think Trump needs to answer for his record directly.  

The disdain Trump and his followers have for the entire party is amusing. Now is their party to actually have a real debate... the Trumpers want to shout the debate down.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Fergasun said:

@Cooked Crack

His point was 100% correct.  Listless vessels who hate your own side of the party, and namecall conservatives are the Trump winf.  These people aren't "conservative".  

They don't even think Trump needs to answer for his record directly.  

The disdain Trump and his followers have for the entire party is amusing. Now is their party to actually have a real debate... the Trumpers want to shout the debate down.

He knew what he was getting into. He rode that wave to the Republican nomination for governor.

181012-ron-desantis-ad-ew-1247p.jpg

• Haha 2

The 14th amendment stuff is interesting (disqualifying trump from running)

especially if the track taken is to challenge it at state level creating a bunch of fights the trump campaign would have to wage at the same time. And then you don’t have to win them all - just win a couple and suddenly he can’t win the election at all, it’s not even possible. 

im not sure how the state level thing would work, just read it mentioned in some articles, so I’m not entirely sure it’s even a viable route. Obviously federal level can be done. 

Ladies and gentlemen. 

The 21st century GOP.

___

12 minutes ago, tshile said:

especially if the track taken is to challenge it at state level creating a bunch of fights the trump campaign would have to wage at the same time. And then you don’t have to win them all - just win a couple and suddenly he can’t win the election at all, it’s not even possible. 

im not sure how the state level thing would work, just read it mentioned in some articles, so I’m not entirely sure it’s even a viable route. Obviously federal level can be done. 

Newsom is already moving to have Trump removed from the ballot. Not that he'd ever win California..I'd expect some other states to follow. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Haha 3
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I'm about as far from a constitutional expert as it's possible to get.  

But even I can see a problem with asking dozens of state courts to come up with dozens of different opinions about what a federal constitutional amendment says.  

And the USSC reaction to it.  

8 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Newsom is already moving to have Trump removed from the ballot. Not that he'd ever win California

Might be an anti-Republican voter suppression move, though.  Suppress turnout.  

Or a way to get the ball rolling on the eventual USSC ruling.  

• Like 2

States do run the elections though and they all have differing constraints on who makes their ballot. 

For example,  Colorado had 21 candidates on the 2020 Presidential ballot. California had 6.

That said, removing a major party nomination is quite different than removing someone from the Alliance Party or the American Solidarity Party. I personally prefer the moron to stay on the ballot as I want to know how many brainless people are voting in my state. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So I posted about Christie and Vivek at the conservative event over the weekend.  I'll now summarize the rest of the candidates (Pence, Haley, Scott, Ron D).

They all tried to tell their personal story.  Tim Scott, getting elected to the House in South Carolina, running a primary against Strom Thurmand's grandson; how could a black man get elected to the House in South Carolina?  He spent an inordinate amount of time talking about Obama.  Ron DeSantis, in addition to running Florida he seemed to highlight touring Iowa with his family at one point he even said something like, "H-E-double hockeysticks" -- surprised that soundbite hasn't gotten picked up .   Nikki Haley spoke a lot about having a husband who was overseas for 1 year on deployment and taking care of military veterans.  

All of them spoke in general terms about the debt and spending.  Pence said something like, "if you are over 40 we won't change anything -- if you are under 40 we need to have a conversation" and it sounded like the whole privatize social security.  But they seemed to be indistinguishable.  They all spoke about military readiness, the need to increase military spending.  They all spoke about the failed policies of Joe Biden economically and inflation.  They all spoke about getting the economy fixed.  A few of them attacked Biden on Afghanistan (Pence did, and he probably has more insight due to being the VP).  They all spoke about securing the border and the people coming into the country. A few of them spent time on attacking unions -- actually going to back to Christie he couldn't stop talking about the teachers union. They all spoke about reducing the size of the Federal government.  

Basically, I feel like we are back to the John McCain and Mitt Romney campaigns when I look at all of the candidates -- although it's not like Trump ran away from these policies.  I still feel like both the media and the GOP voters will be pushing the Trump button.  I don't feel like any of these candidates have great personalities - but I do like the media personality of Christie, and actually not sure why people like to pile onto DeSantis... I think he's also good, but he seems a bit over-animated.  I don't know why he gets picked on for being over-animated.  When I compare the energy of Christie, DeSantis and Ramaswamy and I like them way more than Pence, Haley and Scott.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

and actually not sure why people like to pile onto DeSantis... I think he's also good, but he seems a bit over-animated.  I don't know why he gets picked on for being over-animated. 

Probably because he's a boogeyman no one ever saw in person. This is the guy who's whole platform is triggering the libs and he acts like a Looney toons character? It's catnip for the libs.

• Thumb up 2

40 minutes ago, Larry said:

I'm about as far from a constitutional expert as it's possible to get.  

But even I can see a problem with asking dozens of state courts to come up with dozens of different opinions about what a federal constitutional amendment says.  

And the USSC reaction to it.  

Oh the whole thing is a problem. Even at the federal level.  It’ll be a big fight.

But the point is that it would only take a state or two (specific states) being successful to create a situation where there’s no path Trump could take to victory as the GOP candidate. 

and I would think the GOP would support it. Because the sooner he’s disqualified, the sooner they’re off the hook for (some of) his legal bills. Not to mention being rid of him hijacking the party. 

9 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

not sure why people like to pile onto DeSantis...

In addition to what as already said - he jumped on the culture wars bandwagon super hard. He’s since fired his campaign manager because it turns out trying to compete against trump as a culture warrior, while refusing to say anything negative about him and attacking the DOJ over the indictments, is a losing strategy. 

but if you’re gonna make yourself the poster boy for the “anti woke” movement, you’re gonna be someone people love piling on. And you’re gonna make numerous silly statements to encourage and help them pile on you. 

26 minutes ago, tshile said:

But the point is that it would only take a state or two (specific states) being successful to create a situation where there’s no path Trump could take to victory as the GOP candidate. 

Probably just PA (which has a Dem-leaning state supreme court).  If Trump was kicked off the ballot in PA due to the 14th Amendment, Trump would have to run the table in GA, AZ, WI and NV, which all went for Biden last time.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

Yougkin and Kemp don't seem stupid. Anyone who is paying attention and has a good team around them knows that getting in this cycle is a terrible idea. If anything, they should hope the GOP gets rolled bigly on a national level so they can be the hero to rally around. The moment either gets in is the moment they lose all MAGA support in the GOP even in their own States. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

2 hours ago, tshile said:

I support them trying this but oh boy, I feel like that could get the Civil War thread pinned.

@tshile

@Cooked Crack

I am not talking about why the Tailgate commentsriat.  I am talking about the MAGA crowd. 

If you just go by "don't reason with cults", than it makes sense. The only reason these people are running is in case Trump is convicted.  They gotta know the cult wants Trump.  There is no way you will convince the cult to dump its leader.  

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I support them trying this but oh boy, I feel like that could get the Civil War thread pinned.

I'm with you...I'd rather he just lose outright, but he's not the answer even for conservatives. So if it ultimately keeps him out of office and allows the Republican party/country to move forward, then whatever. But it'll cause quite the uproar. 

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Given a choice, what I'd like to happen is

Trump nominated

Historic loss on Election Day. 
Not just him, but the down tickets as well. 

• Like 5
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Yougkin and Kemp don't seem stupid. Anyone who is paying attention and has a good team around them knows that getting in this cycle is a terrible idea. If anything, they should hope the GOP gets rolled bigly on a national level so they can be the hero to rally around. The moment either gets in is the moment they lose all MAGA support in the GOP even in their own States. 

I'm actually surprised Tim Scott is running for President. He seems like a viable candidate from the pre-2016 era of the Republican party and he'd have no reason to go toe-to-toe with Trump at the moment. For those types of Republicans, I'd agree 100%-- let Trump burn things to the ground and then show up for the rebuild. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, balki1867 said:

I'm actually surprised Tim Scott is running for President. He seems like a viable candidate from the pre-2016 era of the Republican party and he'd have no reason to go toe-to-toe with Trump at the moment. For those types of Republicans, I'd agree 100%-- let Trump burn things to the ground and then show up for the rebuild. 

When I watched him to the SOTU rebuttle, I felt the opposite. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1