Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Former Washington Great Dave Butz passed away at age 72

DazedSkinsfan

Sad news. I remember the second game vs the Cowboys late in the '83 season where both teams came in 12-2. We beat them 31-10 and got revenge for the opening game of the season where Dallas came back from 23-3 at halftime to win. Butz just destroyed the Cowboys run game that day as well. Dorsett only had 34 yards on the ground.

Ray Guy, the longtime Raiders stalwart punter, also passed earlier this week at 72.  Too young.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Sad news. I remember the second game vs the Cowboys late in the '83 season where both teams came in 12-2. We beat them 31-10 and got revenge for the opening game of the season where Dallas came back from 23-3 at halftime to win. Butz just destroyed the Cowboys run game that day as well. Dorsett only had 34 yards on the ground.

Ray Guy, the longtime Raiders stalwart punter, also passed earlier this week at 72.  Too young.

When I saw the article I was blown away by the thought of him being 72. It's crazy how fast time flies 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Just now, Jumbo said:

One of my all time Redskin heroes. I will always remember how announcers would regularly highlight the size of his helmet. 🙂

RIP Dave. You were truly one of the best ever.

AND his shoes! They would always go on about the giant size of his shoes. I can't remember the specific size, but they were gigantic, I know that. This one really hurts. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

When I saw the article I was blown away by the thought of him being 72. It's crazy how fast time flies 

Doesn't seem right that he was 72, time sure does fly. Enjoy what you have!

He was one of my all time favorites

I always think of the pics of him with his son holding that huge beat up helmet.

RIP

• Like 1

Damn, this sucks to hear.   Truly one of the unsung heroes of the great 80's teams.  When I first started my Skins fandom when I was about 8-10 (1979-81 range), I almost thought that "Dave" was his middle name, because I always remember him being referred to a "BIG Dave Butz".  I can remember Pat Summerall referring to him this way just like it was yesterday.

RIP and condolences to his family.  ☹️

Edited by ColonialWBSkinsFan
  • Like 1

In the 1983 highlite video "A Cut Above...the 1983 Washington Redskins", there is a segment about Dave and Dexter, who were complete polar opposites but they were awesome together along that defensive line. For all of you forty-something year fans like me, those old NFL Films team highlite videos were truly great to watch and still are if you were around back then.  Dave Butz was just a pure professional. He showed up, did his job, no hype, no drama, just a quiet wrecking ball on those great Redskins defensive lines in the 80's. Core Redskin I believe. RIP #65

Edited by Scottlo
  • Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Also an ex Purdue Boilermaker.  He came to a few Homecoming games.  Never got to actually meet him but was at the games.  

He was one of my first favorite players in that second wave for me.  He had that helmet that was beat to hell.  

A big loss. RIP big fella!!!  You will be missed.   My condolences to his family.  Very big loss. 

Lots of games are a loss without him but Super Bowl 22 most definitely, he made the play to keep that game in reach and set the stage for the second quarter.

Wasn't he undrafted?

Who's got the guts, to stop Dave Butz, we're gonna be Bronco Busters!

One of my all time faves, gone too soon.  Rest easy big man.

• Like 1

RIP Dave Butz.  I still remember John Madden admiring the fact that you never changed your helmet.  That wasn't just a helmet, it was a badge of honor, reflective of the wars that used to take place in the NFC East.  Thank you for the memories, prayers and condolences to your family 🙏

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

16 minutes ago, RFK Lives said:

Lots of games are a loss without him but Super Bowl 22 most definitely, he made the play to keep that game in reach and set the stage for the second quarter.

Wasn't he undrafted?

No, he was a first round pick by the Cardinals in '73, fifth overall. George Allen traded two first round picks and a second to trade for him! Can you imagine anyone doing that today? Paid off though. 

Edited by Dissident2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spjunkies said:

Now that's a dude who just looks like a FOOTBALL PLAYER!

Change dude to guy and it's probably something John Madden actually said about Butz.  RIP Dave.  All-time Redskins great and fan favorite.

BTW, Dave Butz was instrumental in Joe Gibbs' first win as Washington head coach.  We were 0-5 playing the Bears and Butz picked off a pass, returning it to the 2 yard line (thence the O scored a TD).  (It's on youtube somewhere.)  As forever beloved D.C.  sportscaster Glenn Brenner said, "If you can't see Dave Butz, you're legally blind."

Edited by Dark Acre
  • Like 4