Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nah Nah Nah…Nah Nah Nah…Hey Hey Hey…GOODBYE CLOWNSHOES

Koolblue13

9 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

The Commanders rebrand sposidly cost $20 million. That's s drop in the bucket for a multi billionaire. 🤷‍♂️

But from a business perspective that means you need to make at least $21 million back, more than just projected current revenue, to make it a worthwhile financial investment.

Something you have to realize: these guys are not looking to spend money without profiting on the money they spend.  This isn’t charity.  It’s a for-profit business.  Harris isn’t going to cough up $20m because fans don’t like the name. He will invest $20m if he thinks they can earn back the $20m + over a period of time more than they can with the current name.

People need to stop thinking that these owners are just going to throw money at things without expecting a return on the investment.  

The reason a new owner will pay billions for a new stadium is a new stadium will also make them billions.  It’s an investment which will, over time, pay for itself and then some.  

If a rebrand doesn’t do that, it’s not going to happen.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 2

16 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

But from a business perspective that means you need to make at least $21 million back, more than just projected current revenue, to make it a worthwhile financial investment.

Something you have to realize: these guys are not looking to spend money without profiting on the money they spend.  This isn’t charity.  It’s a for-profit business.  Harris isn’t going to cough up $20m because fans don’t like the name. He will invest $20m if he thinks they can earn back the $20m + over a period of time more than they can with the current name.

People need to stop thinking that these owners are just going to throw money at things without expecting a return on the investment.  

The reason a new owner will pay billions for a new stadium is a new stadium will also make them billions.  It’s an investment which will, over time, pay for itself and then some.  

If a rebrand doesn’t do that, it’s not going to happen.  

It’s laughable if you don’t think $20 million is a good investment on a $6 billion dollar plus brand. Basically Snyder changed the formula of Coke and called it New Coke. Any new owner will create a Coke classic rebrand to resurrect good will. It’s a no brainer actually. It’s one of the cheapest things they can do. The backlash won’t be comparing the new name to Redskins it will be comparing it to Commanders. A much different bar and battle. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Which other podcast did you listen to him on?  I heard him on Standig.  

Seems like about the same story.  I think his main point was “if he wants it, he’ll get it.” 

But couldn’t say definitely he wanted it.

2 of my thoughts:

1. if he didn’t want it, he would have declared that by now. So there is at least some interest. How much and at what level, who knows.  Would he be willing to pay an extra $200M from the highest bidder just because he can? Maybe.  Maybe not.  If he sees it as a massive overpayment and a bad deal, he might not do it.  Or he might not care, he might see it like buying a toy, not an investment.  But there’s no real way to know what he’s thinking, except that he hasn’t backed out yet.  

2. The timing for a Bezos couldn’t be worse.  Which might actual be a thing.  Amazon is in the process of laying off close to 30,000 people.  If he turns around and buys a sports team for $6.5 billion, that’s not a great look. I grant you, one has very little to do with the other.  It’s more of a perception thing than an actual thing.  But it  could be a real thing.  Which might be part of the holdup as to why he might be dragging his feet.

I said this before: bids are not timeless.  The Harris bid will expire, most likely 30 or 45 days after it was made.  Dan has that ling to make a decision. 

Which is why I think this will be decided in the next few weeks.  It has to be done before the Harris bid expires.  ** The reason bids expire is the financials become stale.  After a certain period of time, the bidder gets a new look at the financials and can re-submit the bid with access to new financial information.  

Seems like he's guessing based on what he knows about Bezos.  Bezos is sort of his expertise not the NFL or sales of teams, etc.

The thing he's very confident about is that Bezos wants to own a team, he's not sure its this team, but he figures its the one on sale now so why not?  He believes he'd prefer Seattle over this team if he had the option of either one.  But he doesn't know if Seattle is truly going on sale.

The rest seemed to be him guessing what Bezos would do.  He harped in all three interviews about he might have issues with the NFL concerning Amazon owning TV rights because one of the key exercises with owners that they discuss amongst each other when they congregate about TV rights-TV issues so he suspects Bezos would have to recuse himself on a lot of owners issues for that reason so he wonders if that presents a problem. 

For me, as far as Bezos goes, I'd guess 50-50 he bids and gets this but as time marches on and we hear nothing I'll back off that 50%.  I've been at 50% give or take through most of this time but came down some recently on Bezos chances when we kept hearing Harris name with not a peep about Bezos.  But now that Bezos' name resurfaced I'll put it back at 50% as to my guess.  

One of Sheehan's sources is clearly the lawyer who is close to Harris.  So Sheehan focusing on this will be done before the draft -- that would fit sort of your time line of when the bid might expire.  

As far as Bezos goes, if he doesn't bid I'd guess its one, some of or all of these reasons.

A.  He has a good source who tells him Seattle indeed is going on sale soon

B.  He doesn't like the investment, going through the team's books.  I know some here think Bezos throws his money around without care just because he has it but that's not his reputation.

C.  There is enough smoke to give the vibe that Dan did put the breaks on Bezos bidding early and then shifted his attitude.  Maybe Bezos version of having screw you money -- is to ironically screw Dan by not bidding.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Captain Wiggles said:

The Commanders rebrand sposidly cost $20 million. That's s drop in the bucket for a multi billionaire. 🤷‍♂️

A Redwolves re-brand in the afterglow of a new owner rescuing the franchise from Dan Snyder would generate far more than $20M in gross profit. And quickly, too.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 7

Regards the rebrand, I was never a huge fan of ‘Commanders’, but had it genuinely been the fans choice it would have been much more appropriate. As has been mentioned though, it appears they were hell-bent on a military theme from the get-go and I always felt Ron was involved in that, which given the significance of it an employee should never have been involved. 

Going back to the fans choice then, the (seemingly, from what I saw/read on this side of the pond) half-assed “engagement” with that video of folk sitting in an empty Fed-Ex, being presented with mostly poor options and even worse branding imagery, it ticked me off quite a bit as I felt even then it was for show and nothing else. Only they knew Redwolves (which I’m indifferent to, for the record) was (again, seemingly) the favourite amongst *most* of the fan baae very early on, yet announced just prior to the reveal there were always going to be issues with copyrights etc, which is fine, but again just say that from the get-go. 

Anyway, if we stay as Commanders then due to cost or whatever prohibiting any further rebrand I can absolutely live with that if at the very least there’s a greater effort to engage with the fans, maybe reassuring them that everything to do with the name, logos, uni’s (and in the name of the baby Jesus, mascot!) is being revised by a competent, respectable company rather than the f**king Snyders.    

The copyright thing is a cop out. You spend enough money you can get them to drop it. 

Snyder wanted Commanders because he figured the boomers would love the military theme and everyone else would find it safe and not something you can be offended by.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

22 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

A Redwolves re-brand in the afterglow of a new owner rescuing the franchise from Dan Snyder would generate far more than $20M in gross profit. And quickly, too.  

Not even remotely true.  It has to be $20M MORE than current revenues.  A rebrand is probably a net loss of somewhere in the $10-15m range.  They’ll get a bumb, but not a huge bump.

part of the problem is there isn’t a single player on the team who every fan would have to run out and buy a new jersey for that guy.  That hurts.  A lot.  

Also, while it isn’t as vocal, there are A Lot of fans who think the Red Wolves name is stupid as hell and wouldn’t be running out to buy anything.

Look, Dan is a dummy, but if the marketing people REALLY thought Red Wolves was going to be some massive cash cow, they would have made it happen.  

Its not nearly as popular amounts the fan base as people think because there is a loud contingent of folks led by Fred Snoot who keep howling about it.  

I give a rebrand a 20% chance of happening. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb down 1

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Not even remotely true.  It has to be $20M MORE than current revenues.  A rebrand is probably a net loss of somewhere in the $10-15m range.  They’ll get a bumb, but not a huge bump.

Yes, I understand. It will deliver far more than $20M of incremental gross profit. No way it's a loss. 

• Thanks 1

Mod directive:

Keep the name change white noise out of this thread from now on.

If a new situation merits it we'll have a revival of the matter in its own thread.

(oh yay)

Please tell your fellows who miss this post.

Thenk yew.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4
  • Thumb up 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

5 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

It’s laughable if you don’t think $20 million is a good investment on a $6 billion dollar plus brand. Basically Snyder changed the formula of Coke and called it New Coke. Any new owner will create a Coke classic rebrand to resurrect good will. It’s a no brainer actually. It’s one of the cheapest things they can do. The backlash won’t be comparing the new name to Redskins it will be comparing it to Commanders. A much different bar and battle. 

It's awful nice of you to spend someone else's money. Especially when a more pressing need is building a new stadium. Whoever buys the team will have a huge list of improvements to make.

Edited by RVAskins

Given how many fans have boycotted the WFT and how many others have simply tuned out altogether, I have to think there's a LOT of pent-up demand for this team. As long as the new owner doesn't make an absolutely crazy offer, they should be able to turn things around financially pretty quickly such that any changes they might want to make would pay for themselves in increased revenue. Aside from revenue, there's a good bit of value in goodwill too. If they're going to build this thing back up, anything they can do to bring the fans back into the fold will be really important. Obviously, the most significant thing they can do is to put a winning product on the field. However, depending on Howell's development, that might be a bit harder to do than we'd like to think.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, The Sisko said:

If they're going to build this thing back up, anything they can do to bring the fans back into the fold will be really important. Obviously, the most significant thing they can do is to put a winning product on the field. However, depending on Howell's development, that might be a bit harder to do than we'd like to think.

That is the way I look at it too.

I don't think anybody will buy a red-lining NFL franchise and choose to spend the first year watching it flounder. I think any new ownership team will place a heavy priority on doing what it can to revive the fanbase sooner rather than later, not wait around for a year to see whats up before instituting fan gaining efforts. 

While winning is great and should be the long term goal, I don't see anybody putting all their eggs in that basket especially given our roster construction and the current NFC East dynamic. As it stands chances are probably better than not that we are blowing this whole thing up next year as opposed to achieving that winning org, then who knows where we are.

We will need to attack the fan problem from a multitude of pathways, and utilize methods that offer a more guaranteed return on investment as opposed to a chance at one.

1 hour ago, The Sisko said:

Given how many fans have boycotted the WFT and how many others have simply tuned out altogether, I have to think there's a LOT of pent-up demand for this team. As long as the new owner doesn't make an absolutely crazy offer, they should be able to turn things around financially pretty quickly such that any changes they might want to make would pay for themselves in increased revenue. Aside from revenue, there's a good bit of value in goodwill too. If they're going to build this thing back up, anything they can do to bring the fans back into the fold will be really important. Obviously, the most significant thing they can do is to put a winning product on the field. However, depending on Howell's development, that might be a bit harder to do than we'd like to think.

Odds are Howell is just a one season dude. Team likely will

be looking at qb in 24, unless Sam just over performs. It’s hard to see that for a qb being essentially his rookie year as starting qb. Assuming he wins the job.

7 hours ago, The Sisko said:

Chances are that Howell won't work out, and we're looking for a QB in '24.  That's just the way it sets up right now.  We'll be looking for a new QB, and we will most likely have a new FO and a new HC while doing so.  It will almost be like a reset, without the usual connotations of a reset.  Luckily, our roster is pretty decent, even borderline good.  That will help the new regime decide on if they want to swing for the fences at QB.   That could mean moving up in the '24 draft, or trading for a franchise QB if the opportunity merits.  Who knows, the new owner might even make a move as soon as they step in.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, The Sisko said:

It’s not so much that I want or expect to see immediate winning. It’s are they doing the right thing? If the new owner hires a top of the line GM and stays out of their way, that’s all I need to see and if it happens I’m confident the winning will come sooner or later.

Totally agree that the rebrand will pay for itself and then some, and the initial cost will be greatly diminished, by increased profits from the fan base returning. It should be top priority even over the stadium, which is a separate issue to me anyway and is going to take years to come to fruition. The money for the stadium will also be somewhat if not mostly funded by the increased revenue and continued growth of ownership equity. We know the value of these teams is just gonna keep soaring. Even a moron like Snyder is making huge money owning the team. In the end the rebrand will help make the stadium happen sooner, not later.

18 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

For me, as far as Bezos goes, I'd guess 50-50 he bids and gets this but as time marches on and we hear nothing I'll back off that 50%.  I've been at 50% give or take through most of this time but came down some recently on Bezos chances when we kept hearing Harris name with not a peep about Bezos.  But now that Bezos' name resurfaced I'll put it back at 50% as to my guess.  

The longer this goes the less likely Harris  remains in play. His best and final bid has been sitting there for over 3 weeks now. That was the first and goal tweet storm. If Snyder did not think he could do better he would have accepted it. 

I put Bezos’ chances well over 99% at this point and inching towards 100%.

Edited by SoCalSkins
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Jumbo said:

Mod directive:

Keep the name change white noise out of this thread from now on.

If a new situation merits it we'll have a revival of the matter in its own thread.

(oh yay)

Please tell your fellows who miss this post.

Thenk yew.

I read this as "Please tell your fellows who long for this post, bathing in their own nostalgia."

I need water.

• Haha 1