Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nah Nah Nah…Nah Nah Nah…Hey Hey Hey…GOODBYE CLOWNSHOES

Koolblue13

Existing bidders could very well have  asked and received details/clarification on League rules governing name changes. Those bidders would not have shared this info with any of the beat writers, and neither would Park Avenue.

And when the post-sale dust has settled, people will see just how brilliant Goodell was with aaaallllll of his handling of the get-rid--the-**** project. Brilliant. You'll put him on your Christmas card list, trust me. So much more than has been reported because not everything needs to be known too soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, skinzplay said:

Existing bidders could very well have  asked and received details/clarification on League rules governing name changes. Those bidders would not have shared this info with any of the beat writers, and neither would Park Avenue.

And when the post-sale dust has settled, people will see just how brilliant Goodell was with aaaallllll of his handling of the get-rid--the-**** project. Brilliant. You'll put him on your Christmas card list, trust me. So much more than has been reported because not everything needs to be known too soon.

I don’t think they’d even have to ask.  I think it’s public information.  Maybe they would ask but I’m pretty sure the NFL’s branding rules to the clubs is written into an agreement the new owners would absolutely would have access to.  

They would have access to the franchise agreement, any by-law agreements, anything dictating the way the franchise operates under NFL rules.  

2 hours ago, actorguy1 said:

I am also of the belief that consistent winning on the field will cure 95% of the ills against the Commanders name. I also believe what Keim says that neither the NFL nor the new owners will have interest in the time and 10's of millions of dollars it would take for a rebrand. As much as I loved the Redskins brand I was glad they changed it. I was also one of the few middle aged fans that was fully on the RedWolves bandwagon. However, I am ok with Commanders and provided the winning ever comes back to stay for a little (or long) while, I could even grow to love it.

Getting the winning guaranteed is not an option though. Unrelated issue. The only choices are fix it now or live with Commanders forever. I am also fine with Redwolves. Overwhelmingly appeals to the younger crowd who will one day be the older crowd. The older crowd now may not love it, but they certainly don’t love the current name. Nobody does. The discussion of name was beaten to death in 2020 and Redwolves was the fan favorite. So to me the question is: keep Snyder’s name or change to Redwolves?? Given those two options what do people think?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, woodpecker said:

The only choices are fix it now or live with Commanders forever.

Given the direct connection to Dan, the abysmal failure of the roll-out, and how actually terrible it is...I just can't ever get down with Com**nders. 

I don't see myself ever getting team gear with that garbage on it.  Shoot, I don't even like to say it, if someone asks me, "who's your team"...the answer is "Washington", not "Com**nders."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, formerly4skins said:

Given the direct connection to Dan, the abysmal failure of the roll-out, and how actually terrible it is...I just can't ever get down with Com**nders. 

I don't see myself ever getting team gear with that garbage on it.  Shoot, I don't even like to say it, if someone asks me, "who's your team"...the answer is "Washington", not "Com**nders."

Same. But how would you feel about Redwolves? I would be willing to buy a Redwolves jersey, and I would be willing to tell people that’s my team.

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, woodpecker said:

Same. But how would you feel about Redwolves? I would be willing to buy a Redwolves jersey, and I would be willing to tell people that’s my team.

I'd be down for a rebrand with Redwolves fo sho...would buy new gear Day 1. 

Edited by formerly4skins
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, Spearfeather said:

" If I'm advising, those are the places I would start... And then maybe see what we do after that. "

This is a sign that Wright, at least, hears what the fans are saying, and that it wouldn't be completely ruled out, even if he were still in charge.

Jason is in self preservation mode. If the new owners want to correct the rebrand blunder, they won’t retain the guy in charge of it. 

Others mentioned NFL rules regarding another rebrand and uniform change rules. An exception exists after a franchise has a new owner to bypass the waiting period between changes. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Spearfeather said:

" If I'm advising, those are the places I would start... And then maybe see what we do after that. "

This is a sign that Wright, at least, hears what the fans are saying, and that it wouldn't be completely ruled out, even if he were still in charge.

I would be incredibly unlikely. Like the Nationals winning the World Series level unlikely.

1 hour ago, SoCalSkins said:

Jason is in self preservation mode. If the new owners want to correct the rebrand blunder, they won’t retain the guy in charge of it. 

Others mentioned NFL rules regarding another rebrand and uniform change rules. An exception exists after a franchise has a new owner to bypass the waiting period between changes. 

That's true, the league allows branding changes in the event of new ownership...although I'm sure a rebrand wouldn't happen right away as they would want to do it right this time.

Last time they were gutless and took the name of a team that was defunct so they wouldn't get sued. They could have fought for Redwolves like the fans wanted but chose the cheaper route again. Snyder didn't even have to pay his wife to design the uniforms! I'm sure Wright didn't get any bonus pay for spending two years to come up with the 23rd letter of the alphabet as our logo.

If teams across multiple pro and college sports leagues can figure out how to use names like Panthers and Tigers and Rams and Falcons without suing the crap out of each other, then this team should be able to do the same.

Edited by BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

The new owner needs to hire professional marketing/branding people to do professional-level work on the franchise's name, logo and unis. Not what we got over the last couple years.

I suspect that if the new owner can make a business case to the league for another name change, the other owners will go along. Branding and merch are very important parts of the NFL business.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumb up 1

32 minutes ago, profusion said:

I suspect that if the new owner can make a business case to the league for another name change, the other owners will go along. Branding and merch are very important parts of the NFL business.

It shouldn't be hard. A new identity with a good logo and colors will sell like hotcakes. The fact that the Commanders merch isn't exactly flying off the shelves should make it obvious to the other owners...who after all only care about money.

I remember when the Sharks came into the NHL...team sucked but it didn't matter, people were buying the merch due to the logo and colors.

Edited by BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

11 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

It shouldn't be hard. A new identity with a good logo and colors will sell like hotcakes. The fact that the Commanders merch isn't exactly flying off the shelves should make it obvious to the other owners...who after all only care about money.

I remember when the Sharks came into the NHL...team sucked but it didn't matter, people were buying the merch due to the logo and colors.

I think of the Charlotte Hornets. Sold merch like hotcakes when They came out in the late 80s. Moved to New Orleans. Then they had the Charlotte Bobcats but that was dumb so they rebranded them the Hornets again and same deal. Bobcats was a dumb generic name. Hornets just works for Charlotte. Commanders stinks. We can do better. Honestly the Defenders did it so much better. The names are similar and honestly I really like their Uniforms. Better designed logo and everything. For an XFL team. 

Edited by CobraCommander
  • Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

It shouldn't be hard. A new identity with a good logo and

Yeah, I don't see it as some huge ordeal, either. 

Certainly our name won't change, this year. But, you could spend the following off-season figuring out a new name and still use our current uniforms ( to comply with the five year uniform rule ). It's as simple as tearing the little patches that say " Commanders " off the jerseys. The same way they took the American Indian profile patch off our throwbacks a couple years ago.

Then, around four years from now, you know, right around the time you're showing off that new stadium, you show off some new uniforms to go along with that new stadium and new name.

It would be a great way for a new owner to ingratiate himself to the fans.

Edited by Spearfeather
  • Like 1

It’s likely going to take more than four years to be opening a new stadium, and if we spend all that time as the Commanders it feels highly unlikely it changes again. 

I think it’s a long shot regardless, but even more so if we spend a half decade with the new name to the point where it’s no longer “new”. If it were to happen, feels like it would need to be an instant initiative with the new owner or not happen at all. My money is on “not at all” even though I’d really like to believe otherwise. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

So 2 things:

1. I doubt the beat folks know much about the future branding plans of the future owners because the new ownership group hasn’t been chosen and why would they tell anybody those plans?

2. Keim specifically is pointing to NFL branding rules which dictate the timeline for branding changes, and I don’t think they can do much of anything under the rules. So they are speculating more than anything that there isn’t a re-branding coming because of NFL rules.

What they are hearing from their sources probably is irrelevant.  Wright and his entire team could be out within 6 months of the sale.  Or they might not be.  And they probably don’t even know that yet. 

My point is none of them think it happens, Keim too, not just because of branding rules.   Only exception is Sheehan who didn't say he expects it to happen but wants it to happen which is ironic considering in the past he said he can care less about the uniforms-name after they let go of the Redskins name. 

Gutman talked about it in the context of the Harris-Rales bid and he doesn't believe they'd do it. 

But have it.  I don't care.  If people want to think the name change is coming again, and counting the days.  Enjoy the ride. Sorry, I wasn't trying to spoil the fun. 

I personally don't care one way or another.  But it appears me saying I don't get the vibe its coming, isn't a well received point.  So I'll keep my mouth shut on it.  I was just trying to brace the people who are into it that I get the vibe there is a good chance they will be dissappointed.   But apparently some here think I am dead wrong, and that's cool. 

I am rooting to be dead wrong not because I care about it, I don't even care a tiny bit for me its nada..  But because some here do care and if makes them happy, that's cool, as a fan base we haven't gotten too many things that make us happy. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

2 minutes ago, Conn said:

It’s likely going to take more than four years to be opening a new stadium, and if we spend all that time as the Commanders it feels highly unlikely it changes again. 

I think their lease runs out in 2027, so we'll see.

And like I said, you just use some variation of the current uniforms ( You can change pants any time ), with the new name, until then.

4 hours ago, actorguy1 said:

If I recall, Keim said the week after the Owners meetings is the first possible date that we could here definitive news on the sale. Will have to see if he still leans that way.

I thought about that.  From what I recall he was more vague than that.  But said maybe 2-3 weeks from or something like that and said so 2 weeks ago.  But like you it registered in my mind and I posted here at the time he suggested not the previous week but there is a chance the week after. 

Spitballing on this, but maybe the ones putting in the offers thought that Dan would feel compelled to take an offer before the owners meeting to avoid the heat-stories -- and Keim heard that perhaps to make a point Dan wasn't going to accept the final offer during that week to show he feels no pressure from the league so the buyers don't have that as leverage.   

Keim didn't say it like that at all.  But just saying he seemed very confident that there would be no sale that week but felt it could change the week after -- so I'd guess there was some logic behind that?  That's my best guess as for the logic.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Only exception is Sheehan who didn't say he expects it to happen but wants it to happen which is ironic considering in the past he said he can care less about the uniforms-name after they let go of the Redskins name. 

Yeah “Commanders” is so bad it forces you to care even if you didn’t care before. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, RansomthePasserby said:

Yeah “Commanders” is so bad it forces you to care even if you didn’t care before. 

Sheehan didn't have a name though, he hates the Red Wolves name.   And he also thinks it was an impossible job for them to rebrand because fans weren't really behind a name so it was a lose lose exercise. 

I am guessing he wants it to change because of the Dan association, same point others make here.  So Red Hogs, Presidents, Admirals, or whatever I guess is OK with him.  The only name he's come out hard against is Red Wolves.

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sheehan didn't have a name though, he hates the Red Wolves name.   And he also thinks it was an impossible job for them to rebrand because fans weren't really behind a name so it was a lose lose exercise. 

I am guessing he wants it to change because of the Dan association, same point others make here.  So Red Hogs, Presidents, Admirals, or whatever I guess is OK with him.  The only name he's come out hard against is Red Wolves.

I would assume another consulting firm under another owner would probably cook up a whole slew of new ideas that don’t come from that horrendous “final 8” or whatever. 

But again, I agree that this is wasted air because it’s likely not happening. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Conn said:

I would assume another consulting firm under another owner would probably cook up a whole slew of new ideas that don’t come from that horrendous “final 8” or whatever. 

But again, I agree that this is wasted air because it’s likely not happening. 

Yeah,  I try to put myself in the space for those that care.  And when I do so the hard thing is fans seem to hate every name except for Red Wolves -- and even Red Wolves is dicey because it seems like there is a rabid group of fans who love it and conversely a rabid group of fans who hate it.

I think most fans adjust to whatever name in time.  The Jets, Giants, Packers, Browns -- name that team, I think if they picked those names from scratch with today's social media, they'd likely be trashed.

I get the idea of nothing associated to Dan.  But outside of that, I think there was always be a sizeable group that will hate the name including after another rebrand.  But like I said if people want to go through that again, I got no issue.  I am Switzerland on this, neutral, don't care.

• Like 2

Ownership change is directly mentioned by name as an example of a situation that grants a team an exemption to change their name and branding, so there is no question a new owner can do what they want in that regard. Its not up in the air as to "if the NFL would allow it" it is completely whether new ownership wants to do it or not.

And unless someone can tell me both who the new owner is and what their priorities will be, I don't put much stock in what they think will happen, We can't possibly know.

What I am confident in: The fanbase is on life support and new ownership will probably have to strongly consider methods to give it a boost in the arm. That would pull plays from a playbook that is pretty well understood. Acquire big name guy, 1st round QB, lower prices, new coat of paint... stuff like that. Personally, I don't see new ownership sitting around and doing absolutely nothing.

Also when I see incoming owners angling to bring in new big name staff before they even buy the team, and "have plans in place to hit the ground running", I am further incentivized to double down on my line of thinking.

Being a consistent winner can't happen for years. A new stadium can't open for half a decade. Neither help to solve the current issue on hand anytime soon. They need measures that have an instant and/or 1-2 year impact starting window.

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1