Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nah Nah Nah…Nah Nah Nah…Hey Hey Hey…GOODBYE CLOWNSHOES

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sheehan didn't have a name though, he hates the Red Wolves name.   And he also thinks it was an impossible job for them to rebrand because fans weren't really behind a name so it was a lose lose exercise. 

I could have misheard him, but I thought Sheehan had once said post the rebrand - if they had just kept the name “Washington Football Team”.  Perhaps they could still simply use the nickname of the “Skins” (obviously removing all association with Native Americans) in its use.

6 hours ago, woodpecker said:

Getting the winning guaranteed is not an option though. Unrelated issue. The only choices are fix it now or live with Commanders forever. I am also fine with Redwolves. Overwhelmingly appeals to the younger crowd who will one day be the older crowd. The older crowd now may not love it, but they certainly don’t love the current name. Nobody does. The discussion of name was beaten to death in 2020 and Redwolves was the fan favorite. So to me the question is: keep Snyder’s name or change to Redwolves?? Given those two options what do people think?

Older generation and I would definitely prefer Redwolves after reluctantly accepting Commanders name. Could get behind commanders a little more if they were more creative with uniforms, logos etc.

Edited by Tarpon75

1 hour ago, woodpecker said:

Getting the winning guaranteed is not an option though. Unrelated issue. The only choices are fix it now or live with Commanders forever. I am also fine with Redwolves. Overwhelmingly appeals to the younger crowd who will one day be the older crowd. The older crowd now may not love it, but they certainly don’t love the current name. Nobody does. The discussion of name was beaten to death in 2020 and Redwolves was the fan favorite. So to me the question is: keep Snyder’s name or change to Redwolves?? Given those two options what do people think?

1. I don't think they can rebrand now.  I think there is a 5 year waiting period before they could rebrand anyway, that's in the NFL branding rules.  It's 2 years before they can make substantial changes to the uniforms, that has been reported.  Could they get an exemption from the NFL? Maybe.  Will they?  I rather doubt it.

2.  All the NFL names are dumb, it's just a matter of winning under the name and then it becomes part of the culture.  I've posted this a bunch:

- 5 teams are named after birds: Eagles, Falcons, Cardinals, Seahawks, Ravens

- 9 teams are named after other animals: Lions, Tigers (Bengals), Bears (oh my!), Dolphins, Jaguars, Panthers,, Rams, Colts, Broncos

- 8 teams have names that relate to their location in some way: Steelers, Patriots, 48ers, Texans, Cowboys, Saints, Commanders, Packers

- 3 are pirate/marauding army themed: Vikings, Raiders and Bucs

- 2 are named after people: The Bills are named after a guy named Buffalo Bill, and the Browns are named after Paul Brown.

- The Chiefs are going to be forced to change their name eventually.

- The Titans are the stupidest name in sports.  And their flaming thumbtack logo is dumb as hell. 

- The Jets might have been cool back in 1960.  We have lots of planes now.  

- That leaves the Giants and the Chargers.  Big people and electricity.

The team names are iconic not because of the names, but because of the memories of the team.  The Commanders have no memories, yet.  

For my money, the best names are Cowboys, Saints, Patriots, 49ers, Steelers and Giants.  All (except for the Giants) tie into the city in some way.  

The biggest issue with the Commanders as a name is it's hard to abbreviate.

There are 2 reasons why fans are rebelling against the name.  Ok, 3:

1. Dan chose it.  Everybody hates Dan.  Ergo everybody has to hate the name. 

2. The rollout was completely, totally, and in every possible way botched.  How they screwed that up as badly as they did, I have no idea.  I would not have thought it possible to screw it up as badly as they did, it's like they had to work at screwing it up that badly.  Amazing.  

3. The vocal Red Wolves people were not going to be happy with anything other than Red Wolves.

I'm glad they didn't keep it as Washington Football Team, because that's just a mouthful.  I don't care one way or another about the Commanders as a name.  

The rollout was horrendous.  

I can't see a world where a new owner goes to Red Wolves.  It's not a "timeless" name.  

A good marketing team can build a solid brand around Commanders. Re-branding is a long and expensive process.  The new owner will have just shelled out $6B for the team, with another several Billion on the tap for a new stadium.  My guess is they will work with the brand but keep the name.That's a guess, but it's what would make financial sense.

Also.... a good majority of the fan base which REALLY has a problem with the name are older fans who aren't going to like anything.  Since there's no way to appease those folks, (of which I fall into that category), it's better to just ignore them.  

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

A good marketing team can build a solid brand around Commanders. Re-branding is a long and expensive process.  The new owner will have just shelled out $6B for the team, with another several Billion on the tap for a new stadium.  My guess is they will work with the brand but keep the name.That's a guess, but it's what would make financial sense.

This is exactly why they SHOULD and I still think they WILL rebrand the second the NFL provides the waiver.  Fastest way to recoup revenue will be a proper rebrand. This whole myth of the "older fans didn't embrace RedWolves" is utter nonsense. 

The RedWolves are coming and they will break some records in merch sales the moment it drops. 

I'll be the first in line for a minimum of 5-10 jerseys, where even when Dan sells, whereas there is NO chance I'll buy a Commanders ANYTHING for a very long time, if ever.  Massive amount of the fanbase feels the same way. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb down 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

13 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Also.... a good majority of the fan base which REALLY has a problem with the name are older fans who aren't going to like anything.  Since there's no way to appease those folks, (of which I fall into that category), it's better to just ignore them.  

They are likely the only ones willing and able  to pay 25 to 50k per seat for each PSL. Can’t ignore them. 

I don’t know how you define older. I’m thinking over 40.

Edited by SoCalSkins

It’s time to end this Dan. Tell BOA to ask Bezos if he wants bid. If Bezos bids, then pick between him and Harris. If not, then sell to Harris.

The new owner likely not approved until either the May meetings or the period between Memorial Day and 4th of July. Too late for any impact on 23, unless they bid for Lamar .

Likely 23 moves. Replacing Jason. Stripping Ron of gm duties. Firing Ron’s Gm crew. Hiring a new gm.

The rest will be evaluated for 24. Onky other possible 23 change, would be an in season firing of Ron.

45 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

1. I don't think they can rebrand now.  I think there is a 5 year waiting period before they could rebrand anyway, that's in the NFL branding rules.  It's 2 years before they can make substantial changes to the uniforms, that has been reported.  Could they get an exemption from the NFL? Maybe.  Will they?  I rather doubt it.

Exception is already in place for new owners.

But I'm not expecting the new owner to say he's gonna change the name right away. That'll be a wait and see approach of it I believe. If the team start being respectable and being a contender, that could go a long way.

I would still find the name, uniforms and logo dumbs, but that the least of my concerns right now.

- 8 teams have names that relate to their location in some way: Steelers, Patriots, 48ers

And I thought Forty-nine was 49, not 48!

2.  All the NFL names are dumb

You could extend that to every Major League team.

I mean Los Angeles Lakers? That's tied to when they were playing in Minnesota lol. Nobody's gonna change the name now.

The biggest problem I do have with this brand, is that it has Dan written all over it, and that should be enough to warrant a rebrand ASAP. But as I said, I don't think anyone will do it right off after buying the team. In four years after people aren't getting behind the name, even if the team is contending? I would think so yes.

Edited by Wildbunny

1 hour ago, jjpomeroy said:

I could have misheard him, but I thought Sheehan had once said post the rebrand - if they had just kept the name “Washington Football Team”.  Perhaps they could still simply use the nickname of the “Skins” (obviously removing all association with Native Americans) in its use.

Not sure about the Skins component but he might have said that, just don't recall.  But yeah Sheehan was one who strongly opposed changing the name.  But outside of that I don't recall him being passionate about anything except not liking Red Wolves, saying he doesn't care overll about the branding, and now saying he wants a rebrand but without a specific name that he's pushing.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

If new ownership truly wants to make a "splash" getting fans to jump back on board in support of their investment, changing the name back to what THE FANS chose as their #1 pick. Then get the NFL to make an exception and launch the Redwolves name asap.

-A new stadium will take a few YEARS to complete

-Signing any particular player (ie Lamar) to be the face of the re-launch would be stupid, regardless of cost/picks/etc. People generally tend to be human after all.

-FO will probably need to take a year or 2 to develop and that's not generally enough to spark an immediate rise in excitement.

-Yes, winning is the goal Jason lol, but there's 31 other teams trying to do the same.

-The name "Commanders" was associated with Dan and his "Taa-daa" sidekick. It was not the result of what the fans wanted for their team. Getting rid of that name means  that a lot of the Snyders Tomfoolery is a thing of the past and the "RedWolves" is a sign of the future. The wolf becomes the Phoenix. It's that simple and I genuinely feel that the league wouldn't mind the renewed fervor from the DC market.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Ryan is welcome to his opinion but its old hat.

There are a myriad of orgs that have dropped Redskins or other NA branding and moved on to Red Wolves, Red Hawks, Red Storm ect. We have also seen teams both associated and not associated with NAs that have changed their branding to something that includes either the pre-fix or suffix of their previous name. History gives us a pretty established guidelines over what works and what does not.

2 seconds of research says its fine.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Along with the name being associated with Danny Ass-hat, I don't like the 3 syllables of Commanders or any 2 syllable shortening on the name.

"Let's go 'Manders"? "Let's go "Commies"?  

I call my team "Washington".

But this is stuff I've said before.  I just haven't changed my mind.

Bill Murray GIF by Groundhog Day

:229:The Rook

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 2

1 hour ago, Andre The Giant said:

I can’t vouch for what Chad says. But he’s toed the line for Jason Wrong since day 1. I wouldn’t expect anything less from him than to carry his water here, despite it being obvious how many fans despise the name. I will say, as an out of town we, after going to the Nats game yeaterday and the Caps today, it’s absolutely mind blowing how piss poor this organization has been and still is run in comparison. The name change/branding is just the cherry on top of this crap sundae. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

5 hours ago, CobraCommander said:

I think of the Charlotte Hornets. Sold merch like hotcakes when They came out in the late 80s. Moved to New Orleans. Then they had the Charlotte Bobcats but that was dumb so they rebranded them the Hornets again and same deal. Bobcats was a dumb generic name. Hornets just works for Charlotte. 

Robert L. Johnson literally named the team Bobcats because he wanted his name to be in it. He was an absolute joke. To bad Larry Bird didn't win that ownership bid at the time.

Hornets fits Charlotte because it was what the areas nickname had been since the Revolutionary War.

https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=175546

Lord Cornwallis is reported to have called Charlotte, "an agreeable village, but damn rebellious country" and the Mecklenburg area a "hornets' nest" of resistance. We are proud of that name to this day.

Also usta bother the hell outta me that the New Orleans Hornets kept the name Hugo for the mascot. Their rebrand to the Pelicans was lame and the current mascots are creepy. Tho King Cake Baby is pretty dang amusing come Mardi Gras season. 🤭

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

The first few minutes of Keim’s new podcast.

A. As to Bezos he hasn’t heard of a bid, he seems to believe that name might being used to push up the other bids 

B. Mystery bidder still looms in the picture, the only thing he knows they are very wealthy 

C. He was told the stadium in DC faces multiple obstacles no matter who buys the team including Bezos 

D. They want Hard Knocks this time if they get a new owner because they want the PR to show the world about how things are changing. There are some people there that will push the league to get it 

E. Guessing they are still on track for this to be resolved for the May meeting but no way to know 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

2.  All the NFL names are dumb, it's just a matter of winning under the name and then it becomes part of the culture.  I've posted this a bunch:

- 5 teams are named after birds: Eagles, Falcons, Cardinals, Seahawks, Ravens

- 9 teams are named after other animals: Lions, Tigers (Bengals), Bears (oh my!), Dolphins, Jaguars, Panthers,, Rams, Colts, Broncos

- 8 teams have names that relate to their location in some way: Steelers, Patriots, 48ers, Texans, Cowboys, Saints, Commanders, Packers

- 3 are pirate/marauding army themed: Vikings, Raiders and Bucs

- 2 are named after people: The Bills are named after a guy named Buffalo Bill, and the Browns are named after Paul Brown.

- The Chiefs are going to be forced to change their name eventually.

- The Titans are the stupidest name in sports.  And their flaming thumbtack logo is dumb as hell. 

- The Jets might have been cool back in 1960.  We have lots of planes now.  

- That leaves the Giants and the Chargers.  Big people and electricity.

The team names are iconic not because of the names, but because of the memories of the team.  The Commanders have no memories, yet.  

For my money, the best names are Cowboys, Saints, Patriots, 49ers, Steelers and Giants.  All (except for the Giants) tie into the city in some way.  

The biggest issue with the Commanders as a name is it's hard to abbreviate.

There are 2 reasons why fans are rebelling against the name.  Ok, 3:

1. Dan chose it.  Everybody hates Dan.  Ergo everybody has to hate the name. 

2. The rollout was completely, totally, and in every possible way botched.  How they screwed that up as badly as they did, I have no idea.  I would not have thought it possible to screw it up as badly as they did, it's like they had to work at screwing it up that badly.  Amazing.  

3. The vocal Red Wolves people were not going to be happy with anything other than Red Wolves.

I'm glad they didn't keep it as Washington Football Team, because that's just a mouthful.  I don't care one way or another about the Commanders as a name.  

The rollout was horrendous.  

I can't see a world where a new owner goes to Red Wolves.  It's not a "timeless" name.  

The team botched this so badly. The perfect name was Washington Americans - it would have done two things allowed them to keep the best logo ever made in sports and second take the “americas team” crap from Dallas

• Confused 2
  • Thumb down 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

B. Mystery bidder still looms in the picture, the only thing he knows they are very wealthy 

Wouldn't it be ironic if the mystery bidder was another member of the Walton family who outbids Harris.

44 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The first few minutes of Keim’s new podcast.

A. As to Bezos he hasn’t heard of a bid, he seems to believe that name might being used to push up the other bids 

C. He was told the stadium in DC faces multiple obstacles no matter who buys the team including Bezos 

D. They want Hard Knocke this time if they get a new owner because they want the PR to show the world about how things are changing. There are some people there that will push the league to get it 

E. Guessing they are still on track for this to be resolved for the May meeting but no way to know 

Keim mentioned National Harbor recently which also makes a lot of sense

• Like 1