Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nah Nah Nah…Nah Nah Nah…Hey Hey Hey…GOODBYE CLOWNSHOES

Koolblue13

4 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I don't want to offend any of you guys, so I'll ask politely first:  

How many of you guys actually like the Commanders name and would you be upset if the new owner changed it?

Say what you want about TMZ but if it's on there, it's got legs.  They're hardly ever wrong.

I would be a little bummed. Mostly because I've got my whole Commandalorian thing that Ive put a lot of time and effort into and was the one thing that got me on board with the name to begin with. The name change is also what got me into doing the 3d printing. That being said Ill be honest I dont see a name change happening. I dont think Nfl is going to want a franchise going through 4 names in a span of 5 or 6 years. But I do think there would be a likely compromise of new logos, jeresys etc to be introduced

• Sad 2
  • Thumb down 1

8 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

Why would a new Washington owner have to pay the other owners a billion each in order to change the name? That doesn't make any sense.

You need to re-read that part of my post again until you understand it better lol...

Seems like the biggest hurdle would be costs related to the existing inventory of merchandise, and perhaps marketing, that retailers/partners/sponsors incurred producing Commanders gear. If a new owner had to buy out the stock of existing merchandise before drawing up new contracts for a potential rebrand, it seems like that cost would be a drop in the bucket compared to the $6-8 billion required to buy the team in the first place.

It's a complicated issue legally I bet, but I'm pretty sure if the new ownership group wants a new name, then we're getting a new name.

It goes beyond immediate costs, and even immediate costs goes way beyond merchandise in stock.

Edited by Califan007 The Constipated
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

You need to re-read that part of my post again until you understand it better lol...

My bad, for sure. I was writing that post while doing some database work, listening to jazz, and trying not to spill a coffee. My reading comprehension took a dive there. 🤣

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

The merchandising revenue is shared. One of the biggest events besides winning the Super Bowl in selling merchandise is new uniforms, new logo or a name change. We have been consistently near the top this year because of the name change in merch sales despite the fan apathy. Another name change would bring with it a ton of revenue for all the owners since they share it. I bought a crap load of Commanders stuff and it’s been less than a season. I am sure they would blowout new merch with another rebrand. No one would be losing money on it. 

Another name change would bring with it feelings of "Not again...", and not just among our fan base but among the entire NFL. We'd start heading back down the "joke of a franchise" path, one that can't figure out what it wants to be named or what it wants as it's colors and logo. "27 different starting QBs and 4 different names" is in no way good for the NFL... Not to mention all the bellyaching from fans who most definitely will not like the new name (we'd be naive to think that won't happen).

We dilute the "specialness" (for lack of a better word) of having new name merchandise when we're literally changing names every year. Again, best way of ramping up merchandise sales is to improve the on-field results.

Edited by Califan007 The Constipated

2 minutes ago, ThePackisback said:

Hey id turn you guys around and make you into a Superbowl team.

Don't know if this is true or not but I read it in a newspaper article. One of Dan's friends said that they were watching a Redskins game sometime in the '90's and he got up and said "One day I'm gonna buy that team and fix them" 

2 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

You'd be too busy asking  the staff about our 1947 roster 🤭

That actually made me laugh. That was funny. Anyway if I was in Bezos shoes I would draft a secondary which I think the Commanders need the most. Your WRs are decent and so is your running backs.

5 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Maybe you should concentrate on turning the Packers around first lol

Were heading the opposite direction you guys are. Were heading to the toilet and your heading out of the toilet into winning again with this new GM.

26 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

Another name change would bring with it feelings of "Not again...", and not just among our fan base but among the entire NFL. We'd start heading back down the "joke of a franchise" path, one that can't figure out what it wants to be named or what it wants as it's colors and logo. "27 different starting QBs and 4 different names" is in no way good for the NFL... Not to mention all the bellyaching from fans who most definitely will not like the new name (we'd be naive to think that won't happen).

We dilute the "specialness" (for lack of a better word) of having new name merchandise when we're literally changing names every year. Again, best way of ramping up merchandise sales is to improve the on-field results.

Not to derail the thread, but I think the opposite is actually true.  The soon to be previous ownership botched the rebrand at SUCH an EPIC proportion, if they DON'T rebrand, we'll be the laughingstock of the league. 

Not to mention, you'll never get back the massively large Native American fan contingent until there is at least a subtle nod to preserve the heritage. 

RedWolves is the ONLY answer, and I really think the Bezos/Redwolves train is firing up.  They will make an insane amount of money in merch sales if they get the final rebrand right under new ownership. 

One can hope. 

Edited by LetThePointsSoar
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

12 minutes ago, lavar1156 said:

New owner should absolutely change the name.

I feel like that's a selling point in itself, the ability to buy a team and change the name to something you pick without any friction from the rest of the league or fans.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Redwards said:

I despise the name.  Not because it's not Redskins but because it's a terrible, lazy, bland and boring name.  I am vehemently opposed to having a military-themed team.  Not because I don't support the military (my entire family is Navy and Army) but because I don't agree with having that as a sports brand.  It should be above that.  I AM, however, all about honoring our men and women in the military loud and often!

I also hate the name because Dan chose it.  That's the biggest part of it.  I want NOTHING of this team that is a remembrance of that "person".  Not the name, the ****ty ass uniforms, the HORRIBLE "Command the Stands", "Command the Draft", command this, command that.  Just so, so dumb and juvenile.  

Wipe out everything from previous ownership.  Start over.  ALL OF IT GONE.

arnold GIF

4 hours ago, ExoDus84 said:

I imagine a new owner wouldn't want anything to do with the previous regime. Commanders is so generic, has no ingrained fan base, and wasn't particularly well received anyway. I'd be all for another rebrand if a new owner comes in. I imagine there are NFL rules pertaining to this, but I'm sure exceptions could be made to get another rebrand quickly if there's new ownership in place.

Keep the B&G colors, that's all I ask.

Redwolves or Warthogs were my two favorites last year.

This is about where I am.  Depending on the day and what's going on, I am anywhere between apathetic about the name to straight up despising it.  

Like if I really sit here and think about it, I always just come around to the inevitable "What a dumb ****ing name.  WHAT A DUMB ****ING NAME."  Other days, I'm like "It's kinda like the Wizards, whatever."  I'm assuming this is part of the "getting used to" process or something.

But yeah, I want everything Snyder gone.  I want him erased as much as possible from the history books of this team.  Like when there's a list of owners and it reaches '99-'22  there's just a silhouette with a question mark and his name is "Some Dickhead."

I got into a twitter spat the other day (shocking, I know) and this guy was saying that Dan had nothing to do with the name, which...I mean, c'mon.  It's people like that who have their head so deep in the sand that it's just not even worth trying to convince them otherwise.  As amazing as these past two days have been, it's weird to see people still in that little ****er's corner.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4