Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New OC Thread (Welcome Aboard Eric Bieniemy!)

samy316

29 minutes ago, Hooper said:

Sounds like a done deal. There are a bunch of red flags, but the hell with it, let's roll the dice.

Yup. Exactly what I said a few pages back.... I have/had my concerns about the situation, but from the moment Albright tweeted it out a month ago it seemed destined to happen. So let's hope it works, and at the very least, it'll be interesting!

Btw, I have my frustrations with Rivera but like him and feel he's done a pretty good job considering the cards he's been dealt here.

The only reason we're landing someone like Bieniemy (risk and all) is because of Rivera and his relationship with Reid. Point blank period.

I'd point this out to the Rivera haters, but they've magically disappeared after saying with such certainty the hire was going to be Zampese because nobody else would want to come here. Thinking of a few in particular...

Funny enough, it's those same people proclaiming this is a "lame duck" year for Ron and he's guaranteed to be gone in '24. No. It's a hot seat year. Double digit wins, playoff berth, maybe a win or two? He's staying (and deservedly so).

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, purbeast said:

I still don't understand why he would leave the Chiefs, a perennial winning organization with 2 recent Super Bowl trophies, with Patrick Mahomes, to come to this ****hole bottom of the barrel team, with the only quarterback on the roster being one who played in 1 meaningless game.  I just don't get it.  

This is one of the very few things I agree with EB (of the Junkies, not Bienemy) with.  It just doesn't seem logical.

They must be paying him A LOT of god damn money that is all I can think of.

He wants to be a HC. And sitting behind Reid is slowing his progress. He doesnt run the offensive show there. He will here. He may fail miserably. But he needs a situation like our to further his resume. 

• Like 5

Michael Phillips and Finlay talking about this saying Bieniemy's leverage is now, not after he takes the job -- they both also think o line and spending to improve it is likely a discussion point. 

Standig-Sheehan talked earlier today about believeing KC would take Bieniemy back if it doesn't work out here as to the negotiation.  

I get talking about the O line is obvious.   But them addressing some of that O line issue in FA is far from obvious with how this team operates. 

As I've mentioned before the beat guys have been expecting another low key, do little FA season.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 1

I'm assuming today is also about aligning on personnel moves as has been alluded to.

What's the plan for OL? TE? FA vs draft. What kind of run scheme does he want to install? What kind of body types / skill sets does he want in the guys up front? Is it a scheme that puts a premium on athletic guards? Do they want to commit a Day 1 or Day 2 pick to the line or TE vs targeting FA?

That's all in addition to the conversation on position coaches and the contract, of course.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Michael Phillips and Finlay talking about this saying Bieniemy's leverage is now, not after he takes the job -- they both also think o line and spending to improve it is likely a discussion point. 

Standig-Sheehan talked earlier today about believeing KC would take Bieniemy back if it doesn't work out here as to the negotiation.  

I get talking about the O line is obvious.   But them addressing some of that issue in FA isn't so obvious with how this team operates.

RR and Co. need to be creative in the moneys they have and how they spend it.  This means Payne might have to hit the open market and we use the skills of Ridgeway and Mathis.  Ridgeway and Mathis cost very little and it frees money to fix a much need crippled interior OL.  We need a very good OL to execute EBs schemes.  

21 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

it's those same people proclaiming this is a "lame duck" year for Ron and he's guaranteed to be gone in '24. No. It's a hot seat year. Double digit wins, playoff berth, maybe a win or two? He's staying (and deservedly so).

Totally agree and w/the right OC and if Howell has even a remotely good season then I think we get a double digit win total and in the playoffs. I actually think bringing  Bieniemy in is a win win for all parties… I could easily see Rivera staying 2 more yrs and then Bieniemy could/would step right in as the HC and Rivera up to the FO in some capacity…. We as Commanders fans should actually be hoping for that scenario to happen, imho it would mean we’d be a successful team and definitely heading in the right direction

Edited by ashlynskins
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Kind of feels like we're hiring more than just an OC...this guys comes decorated with rings, something RR doesn't have as a head coach. This would be a big time get with high hopes and expectations. 

Indeed. It wouldn't at all be surprising if he was the only guy left over after the ownership change, too. I'm honestly surprised we are in this position. 

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I get talking about the O line is obvious.   But them addressing some of that O line issue in FA is far from obvious with how this team operates. 

As I've mentioned before the beat guys have been expecting another low key, do little FA season.

Right - how can Ron promise anything to Bieniemy given the potential ownership change or worse, the cash strapped current owner.  I guess they can try and do what they can do under whatever limited budget they're on and Ron can tell Bieniemy "hey we tried".  Probably won't derail talks but I don't know how Ron can make good on any kind of promise given the circumstances. 

7 minutes ago, Isifhan said:

Right - how can Ron promise anything to Bieniemy given the potential ownership change or worse, the cash strapped current owner.  I guess they can try and do what they can do under whatever limited budget they're on and Ron can tell Bieniemy "hey we tried".  Probably won't derail talks but I don't know how Ron can make good on any kind of promise given the circumstances. 

I bet your a hoot at parties.

Let's just enjoy it while we can.

HTTR!

Didn't think we'd be here, to be honest. And yes, there is flop potential.

But this is one of our best signings, player or otherwise, in the last 5 or so years. If not the best. He is coming from a legit staff under a legit coach with a couple of rings under his belt. His experience and insight are going to be very valuable to this franchise.

I'm pretty excited, while still understanding we have many obstacles.

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Didn't think we'd be here, to be honest. And yes, there is flop potential.

But this is one of our best signings, player or otherwise, in the last 5 or so years. If not the best. He is coming from a legit staff under a legit coach with a couple of rings under his belt. His experience and insight are going to be very valuable to this franchise.

I'm pretty excited, while still understanding we have many obstacles.

the more I've digested the more I like it.

Maybe wishful thinking on my end but I think there are potentially some collateral benefits that didn't hit me until recently beyond the playcalling.

A.  National media will like us and some will root for us because they are rooting for him.  I am one of the people here who don't like the fact that this team is uncool and big time uncool.

B.  If Dan opens the purse strings which granted is a big if, he might help attrack some FAs.

C.  i think he'd feel under the gun to bring some fast success and I think this FO-team needs more sense of urgency

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5
  • Thumb up 2

46 minutes ago, RWJ said:

RR and Co. need to be creative in the moneys they have and how they spend it.  This means Payne might have to hit the open market and we use the skills of Ridgeway and Mathis.  Ridgeway and Mathis cost very little and it frees money to fix a much need crippled interior OL.  We need a very good OL to execute EBs schemes.  

I believe not keeping Payne would open up another hole and only if you get fair value in a trade for draft picks.  Big free agents out of play this year.

• Like 1

Kansas City, the team that just got done winning its second Super Bowl with him as their offensive coordinator, didn't think to try and extend him at some point preceding this season?  The Ravens, one of the best ran clubs in the league, didn't even bother to interview this guy.  It's a lateral move for a guy who is being hired by a staff that is most likely (hopefully) gone between now and the start of next year's season.  Sorry, can't get excited for this.  We've seen this story before.