Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New OC Thread (Welcome Aboard Eric Bieniemy!)

samy316

23 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Okay so… the OC move is a risk. Check.

Our staff is likely gone after this year, including new OC. Check.

Staff may get to stay on if team makes a significant run. Check. 

So team needs an OC, Bienemy is risk vs. reward. Zampese is status quo. Which would you prefer to take a shot on in a year we have virtually nothing to lose given the scenarios playing out?

Where'd I argue for Zampese?

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Where'd I argue for Zampese?

Never said you did. 

But you are acting like we have more options. Roman? Maybe. I have a feeling that was an interview as a favor more than a real interview but I’ll give you that. (Which you can almost make very similar arguments against him as you could Bienemy aside from the character conversation from 20 years ago and this being a less enticing job for Roman vs. Bienemy).

1 minute ago, Est.1974 said:

Without question EB would be a great hire for us at this moment in time. What that means for 2024, if anything, time will tell.

Nothing to lose. I don't get why people are against it unless they have a strong moral compass that states no one who has ever done wrong should ever be given a chance.

If he succeeds and we're good: We make a real run.

If he fails and proves Reid was the one that made the machine work and without assistance: We are probably picking top 10, maybe earlier, and can get in the Caleb Williams sweepstakes.

I'm failing to see the problem. 

• Like 8
  • Thumb up 1

21 minutes ago, Hooper said:

When was the last time the whole league was wrong and we were right?

But hey... gotta be a first time!

That's Sheehan's line.  But the whole league is wrong centers on the head coaching job.

I see some on twitter go about how make Bieniemy our head coach now -- that to me is us betting versus the rest of the league.

As far as Bieinemy being an offensive coordinator.  I'd bet if it were earlier in the process this year before spots were filled he'd have some takers.

for example the national media (hey they were right this time but far from always) thought we were suckers for taking on Wentz.  But for what its worth (worth nothing to me) I'd put money that this team will get flat out some rare adulation for locking Bieniemy up as a coordinator.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Without question EB would be a great hire for us at this moment in time. What that means for 2024, if anything, time will tell.

Just a thought.  Maybe RR turns over the reigns to EB after the 2023 season and becomes the GM/President of this team possibly keeping Mayhew.  Just a wild thought. 

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Nothing to lose. I don't get why people are against it unless they have a strong moral compass that states no one who has ever done wrong should ever be given a chance.

If he succeeds and we're good: We make a real run.

If he fails and proves Reid was the one that made the machine work and without assistance: We are probably picking top 10, maybe earlier, and can get in the Caleb Williams sweepstakes.

I'm failing to see the problem. 

you would know better than most here about this from a coaching stand point.    Listening to Jay Gruden, Logan Paulsen explain the situation where there is a playcaller (Reid) but a coordinator working under them -- that coordinator is heavily involved with the game planning and teaching the game plan and on occasion actually calling some plays  

He knows like the back of his hand Reid's mindset as to this is how we'd react to this defense or that defense in this situation and that situation.  And if you are working in concert with a really good coordinator like Reid -- these concepts should stick with someone like Bieinemy.  In other words, Bieinemy should understand how Andy Reid goes about dissecting a defense because he does it with him, weighs in and then teaches those concepts all week leading to the game.

There is definitely some wildcard to Bieniemy but count me among the people here who would be very jazzed to roll the dice.  

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Never said you did. 

But you are acting like we have more options. Roman? Maybe. I have a feeling that was an interview as a favor more than a real interview but I’ll give you that. (Which you can almost make very similar arguments against him as you could Bienemy aside from the character conversation from 20 years ago and this being a less enticing job for Roman vs. Bienemy).

Well I'm glad you never said I did.

And you're right, we don't have a lot of options.  All I'm saying is that I don't expect Bienemy to be great and I think there's a groundswell of excitement for him based off....well, Mahomes and Reid.  

If we get him, fine.  But I'm not getting my hopes up that we're going to have a high flying offense under him unless the QB situation gets solved.

2 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Well I'm glad you never said I did.

And you're right, we don't have a lot of options.  All I'm saying is that I don't expect Bienemy to be great and I think there's a groundswell of excitement for him based off....well, Mahomes and Reid.  

If we get him, fine.  But I'm not getting my hopes up that we're going to have a high flying offense under him unless the QB situation gets solved.

I think most people are thinking similarly. But it’s still a more exciting hire than we’ve had.

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

But it’s still a more exciting hire than we’ve had.

Well that's a low bar to hurdle.

IMO, the excitement stems from Mahomes and Reid.  I've seen a lot of back and forth about what Bienemy has been credited with and not credited with.  Reid certainly seems to love him but that should be a given, I wouldn't read too much into that.

I just...don't get my hopes up for anything with this franchise anymore, especially coaching hires.  

1 hour ago, Hooper said:

When was the last time the whole league was wrong and we were right?

But hey... gotta be a first time!

The league isn't against him being an OC. Matter of fact, the reigning MVP on the best team think he is more than good enough to be OC. We are far from alone in thinking he would be a good OC. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

34 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

you would know better than most here about this from a coaching stand point.    Listening to Jay Gruden, Logan Paulsen explain the situation where there is a playcaller (Reid) but a coordinator working under them -- that coordinator is heavily involved with the game planning and teaching the game plan and on occasion actually calling some plays  

He knows like the back of his hand Reid's mindset as to this is how we'd react to this defense or that defense in this situation and that situation.  And if you are working in concert with a really good coordinator like Reid -- these concepts should stick with someone like Bieinemy.  In other words, Bieinemy should understand how Andy Reid goes about dissecting a defense because he does it with him, weighs in and then teaches those concepts all week leading to the game.

There is definitely some wildcard to Bieniemy but count me among the people here who would be very jazzed to roll the dice.  

If it EB, would a wildcard be bringing in KC's FA starting RT Wylie? I mean is he a decent target that EB might have influence with? That might jazz me up to set us up before the draft

• Like 2

You’d think EB is about to be hired as the Washington head coach reading some of these responses.

Great hire as an OC in terms of perceived value. 

Side note: I’m all in on an old school coaching led team (Ron, Del Rio, and EB). Must go all in a direction if you want to escape mediocrity. The leaders of the team at this point in time is ready for it, dying to win. 

Edited by wit33

17 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I just...don't get my hopes up for anything with this franchise anymore, especially coaching hires.  

I fully understand the mindset that whatever it is this team does, it will have done the wrong thing, it is their track record.  Just not sure how good of a post it is, if it's the same refrain regardless of the details.  Better suited for a signature than a post...

• Haha 1

Honestly guys, Eric Bieniemy is better than we deserve as OC. Yall are full blown tripping if you think otherwise. 

He might come here and actually suck it up, but he would literally have the best resume in the building. There is no reason to worry about him as an OC at all. 

• Like 8
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

Did any other teams ask to interview Bienemy for OC? 

As I recall, Baltimore had planned to interview EB, but seems to have gone a different way.

Maybe they thought it would be a waste of time interviewing EB when everyone knows he’s either going to Washington or staying in KC. 

Edited by No Nonsense

11 minutes ago, sjinhan said:

Me personally.  I want Greg Roman.

EB had Reid and Mahomes.  Its like when people taking OCs from Patriots thinking they were going to repeat their success but instead they find out… yeah these OCs arent that great without Tom Brady

also i think Howell is more like the QBs that Roman had… QB with experience running the option….  Also more likely we will find QBs with these skillsets later in the draft than finding a Mahomes type of player.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

As I recall, Baltimore had planned to interview EB, but seems to have gone a different way.

Tenn did too.

But then, like Baltimore, decided not to interview him for whatever reason, good or bad.

25 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

I think that may be because TB wanted Monken and they had to **** or get off the pot, and didn’t want to risk that EB would wait until interviewing here to decide. Plus it seems to have been making its way in league circles that EB/Washington was a strong possibility for a while. So they may have just decided waiting around wasn’t worth the risk of losing their guy Monken