Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Game Prediction Thread - The Commanders @ The Cowboys - The battle for the last spot in the division!

zCommander

1 hour ago, CarlH said:

Are these potential return guys? Dax has been underwhelming....

*Shrug*

I thought suddenly looking at 4 guys was kinda alarming but it looks like none of our WRs got nicked up which is nice

Some of these guys have a history returning kicks but not all of them.

That Davis guy had 1 kick return and 4 punt returns in college. Surely you'd want a guy with some film on him.

• Like 1

Going into the season I was super hyped to circle the McLaurin vs. Diggs matchup knowing McLaurin would finally be serving up receipts to Diggs to make up for all the times he's burned him but the QB couldn't get him the ball (not just Heinicke) but with the O-line issues, I am still not sure how many opportunities there are going to be right now unless other aspects of the offense can slow down the aggressive pass rush.

I watched the Giants/Cowboys MNF game, and despite how much effort that broadcast puts into making every game seem super awesome and important, sorry....no, it looked like two .500ish teams trading drives.  

The main concern as others have stated is the Dallas pass rush.  If the O-line was at least middle of the pack in the league, I'd feel a lot more confident picking the Commanders.  With that said........

I am picking them anyway, because for the life of me, I can't stomach a loss to the Eagles & Cowboys in consecutive weeks.  

Commanders 24

Cowboys 20

• Like 4

I know one thing this franchise doesn't care about is what I can stomach.  We get blown out this Sunday, I'd feel jus as disgusted as at any point between here and 2001.

These coaches have to coach like their jobs are on the line, not jus this season.  Like, as bad as Spurriers offense was at protecting the QB I don't remember ever having a 9 sack game with him as coach.

Why it just can't happen, we may fall back on repeated deep shots to limit Parsons teeing off on Wentz.

24-23 Commies 

Edited by Renegade7

13 hours ago, fearlessNelms said:

I already predicted a loss for us earlier in this thread, but check out these results when Dan Quinn coached defenses go head to head against Ron Rivera coached teams:

Quinn as DC in Seattle and Rivera as HC in Carolina with Mike Shula as his OC:

2013- Seattle - 12 Carolina - 7

2014- Seattle- 13 Carolina- 9

2014- Playoffs- Seattle- 31 Carolina- 17

Quinn as HC in Atlanta and Rivera as HC with Mike Shula still as his OC in Carolina:

2015- Atlanta- 0 Carolina- 38

Atlanta- 20 Carolina-13 (Carolina's only loss in the regular season in 2015)

2016- Atlanta- 48 Carolina- 33

Atlanta- 33 Carolina- 16

2017- Atlanta- 17 Carolina- 20

Atlanta- 22 Carolina- 10

Quinn as HC in Atlanta and Rivera as HC in Carolina with Norv Turner now as his OC

2018- Atlanta- 31 Carolina- 24

Atlanta- 24 Carolina- 10 

Quinn as HC in Atlanta and Rivera as HC in Carolina with Norv and Scott turner now co OC's:

2019- Atlanta- 29 Carolina- 3 

Rivera was fired as HC in Carolina before 2nd meeting in 2019

Quinn as DC in Dallas and Rivera as HC in Washington with Scott Turner as OC

2021- Dallas- 27 Washington- 20

Dallas- 56 Washington- 14

That's 2-12 by my count and more importantly, 0-5 under the Turner's offense.

This is not going to go well for us my brothers.

Interesting results. If I get the time I may do further analysis of Quinn vs Turner offenses with and without the influences of Ron (so that would take into account places like Minnesota and San Diego). 

Some things I try to think about with respect to this is the state of the teams. What I mean by that, you're looking at the W/L record but Seattle teams were SB contenders and the Carolina teams were mediocre. But also there is a question of how the offenses performed in those games. What I'm seeing right now is 

7+ 9 + 17 + 38 + 13 + 33 + 16 + 20 + 10 + 24 + 10 + 3 + 20 + 14 = 234. Divide that by 14 and you get 16.71 points per game. That's about two TDs and a FG average per game. It would be also interesting to see how teams moved the ball (yards per game) and turnovers. to see these things. But this is so much history that its a cool story to tell but gives little info about the game on Sunday. Its a nice academic exercise though. 

• Like 1

He has not had a catch in the first quarter of a game, and has just one in the second quarter.

Wednesday morning he sat down with offensive coordinator Scott Turner to discuss what could be done. McLaurin said they discussed the need to get the team’s playmakers involved, but also the importance of establishing the run game early to set up play-action plays, which have not been effective so far this year.

“Anytime I can try to impact the game as early as possible, that’s what I want to do,” McLaurin said. “And I think Coach Turner and Carson know that as well, but at the same time, those plays don’t necessarily come up as early as you would want. As for myself, I just try to stay prepared for when those plays do come up, and control what I can control.

“I feel like every receiver kind of just wants the ball as many times as they want, me included. But at the same time, I really care about winning, too.”

While Washington’s schedule softens considerably after Sunday’s game, with matchups against Tennessee and Chicago, the Commanders also know they can’t afford to lose too much ground in the NFC East.

There’s also the opportunity to go against Cowboys backup quarterback Cooper Rush instead of Dak Prescott, and the fact that Dallas played a road game in New York on Monday night.

“Most importantly, the thing on my mind is you don’t want to drop three [straight] games,” McLaurin said. “You don’t want to go on the road and get beat in the division and lose two division games in a row.

“So there’s a lot at stake, I feel, for our team, just to try to get our momentum back in some positive light for our locker room.”

They’ll do that in the all-black jerseys, which include a black helmet, that were a favorite of the players when they were unveiled in February.

Coach Ron Rivera dismissed the notion that the uniform choice was tied to the urgency of the game — he wants to avoid a repeat of last year, when the team brought “Washington” branded benches to Dallas for the blowout loss.

Instead, Rivera said it was just a natural opportunity to wear the all-blacks. The team has worn its white jerseys in all three games this season. He said he always chooses to wear white at home when the weather is hot, to put the other team at a disadvantage by having to wear a darker uniform that absorbs more heat.

“Now, as it starts to cool down, we’ll wear the reds at home,” Rivera said, referring to the team’s burgundy jerseys.

Whatever the fashion statement, Sunday’s game will be remembered for the statement the team makes on the field. Coming off back-to-back weeks without first-half points, the Commanders know that won’t get the job done in Dallas.

“We’ve obviously struggled the last couple games early,” Wentz said. “There’s no denying that.”

As for getting McLaurin early touches, Wentz added: “I don’t think it’s for a lack of trying. I think it just comes down to our execution, whether that’s me or just as an offense, or just not staying on the field. ... It’s something I know I’m not worried about, and I don’t think anybody else is around here as well, because we’ve seen what he’s still able to do, and we all know who we have out there.”

https://richmond.com/sports/professional/first-cowboys-commanders-clash-a-big-one-for-washington-which-will-wear-all-black-as/article_e5837da9-598d-545e-aed2-c9930a61df47.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

• Like 2

Here's some other "relevant" stats. Carson has played Dallas 8 times. He has a 4-4 record against them. 

Here are his averages.

Att: 282

Comp: 189

Comp %: 67

Yards: 1836

TD: 14

Int: 4

Rate: 95.7

Sack: 17

YPA: 6.51

300 yard games: 2

200-300 yard games: 3

100-200 yard games: 3

3TD games: 1

2TD games: 4

1TD games: 3

• Like 1

Outside of Samuel week 1 I feel like no matter the matchup or WR we never can feed a WR on a drive or to open a game. For what seems like decades  Like our OCs treat every corner like a shutdown and just don't even test the waters. FEED TERRY EARLY and make DCs adjust and then work the options. We feed everyone but him and then toss him a bone late.  If we were 3-0 and it worked thats one thing. We paid for him but if we dont use him something something.

Bringing in WRs doesnt bode well for not just Dax but also Dyami IMO

Hearing Turner say he needs to establish the run to pass doesn't sound like a 2022 offense to me. While our pass pro is non existent so is his willingness to roll out boot quick passes max protect etc

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Outside of Samuel week 1 I feel like no matter the matchup or WR we never can feed a WR on a drive or to open a game. For what seems like decades  Like our OCs treat every corner like a shutdown and just don't even test the waters. FEED TERRY EARLY and make DCs adjust and then work the options. We feed everyone but him and then toss him a bone late.  If we were 3-0 and it worked thats one thing. We paid for him but if we dont use him something something.

Bringing in WRs doesnt bode well for not just Dax but also Dyami IMO

Hearing Turner say he needs to establish the run to pass doesn't sound like a 2022 offense to me. While our pass pro is non existent so is his willingness to roll out boot quick passes max protect etc

It truly makes no sense. We have what seems like 3 dangerous WRs but everything is just so bland.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Giants top 10?🙄

That is about right for them to be at 5.

They are about the 14th best team in the NFL.

NFL = (NFC x 2 conferences) + Adj for AFC is better factor of 20%, cause they are better then add + 2 for ignoring Det. And ATL.

= 14

Edited by ClaytoAli

Cowboys 23

Commanders 16

1-2

• WHERE: AT&T Stadium (Arlington, Texas)
  • WHEN: 1 p.m. ET | FOX
  • MONEYLINE: Commanders: +140 | Cowboys: -165
  • SPREAD: Cowboys -3 | O/U: 41.5

It has taken two weeks for Cooper Rush to pass Carson Wentz in my "quarterbacks I trust" rankings. That's especially true this week, with the Commanders facing a feasting Cowboys defense that makes plays at every level. Wentz still can't navigate the pocket under pressure. While Dallas' re-made offensive line gets better every week, it's still unclear what Washington's defense does well. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/week-4-nfl-game-picks-2022-nfl-season

Edited by zCommander

It seems like Turner is still learning how to construct a gameplan on the job. This week isn't a great match up since Dallas' DC is scheming up great game plans. My worry is Turner will still be figuring out how to cover for our weak OL and the aggressive Defense we will have to deal with. It makes me wonder if Turner was promoted too soon and wasn't ready for a full OC role. We will have to suffer these growing pains until he steps it up.

• Like 1