Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Commanders @ Philly (from FedEx Field)

KDawg

6 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Yep I agree we backed ourselves into this corner when we bypassed free agency.

For all the talk that Dan held the money back, we currently have a reported salary cap number in the 3mil region. Basically all but nothing. I understand the difference between cap and cash, I mean we could have and still can re work deals to create space. However there appears little desire to do so.

I think Rivera got Wentz and badly over rated the quality of our remaining roster.

Not sure if Rivera overrated it considering according to both Keim and Standig they went shopping for more but the players were out of their price range.

Eagles punted cap to the future we did very little of that. They loaded up and we loaded  down. 

I seriously doubt the reporters who suggested Dan likely had Rivera on a budget and that budget was mostly met when they got Wentz  were just flying it against the wall since it’s not their style to say stuff like that for no reason especially Standig. 

I do thiink our roster was close to Philly BEFORE this off season but they loaded up this off season we did the opposite. 

We got dudes on the NFL version of minimum wage who were released from their respective teams playing for this team already . Dudes like Wildgoose were discarded from the Jets and are already starting here.

IMO the off season of depth attrition is being tested early and is a main plot line.

The just last week stuff in that tweet isn’t true but I’ll give myself a little pat on the back. I said on the draft thread before we even drafted Davis that on the rare times Kentucky rushed him u can see his potential on that front 

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 2

2 hours ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Doug Peterson coaching the Jaguars is doing fairly well.  Ron is a defensive coach so now he really cannot help improve Turner on the offensive side.

If we had hired Peterson he would have drafted a young quarterback and we would be rebuilding like the Jaguars.  Jaguars beat the Chargers yesterday.

But we really need one of those young coaches like the 3 or 4 young ex-Commanders who left the past few years and have become head coaches around

the league.   Our coaches cannot make in game adjustments very well at all.  Even if they could make some decent half time adjustments it would be nice.

The ones with potential won’t want to come to DC.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Obada comes into the game due to an injury and ends up the highest rated player on a D-line full of 1st round picks.  That is an issue.  Not for Obada, of course, but for the rest.  I am more so looking the direction of Sweat, and not so much much Allen/Payne because they seem to be doing fine anchoring the middle of the line, but Montez Sweat has been a non-factor this season so far.  Maybe that changes a little when Chase Young returns, but we don't even know when that will be right now and with the injury he had, I am not expecting the pre-injury version of Chase to show up right away anyway.  

I understand why certain guys were let go and/or not resigned, but the issue is who they were replaced with.  The D-line had tons of depth a couple of seasons ago and now it feels like they are gassed out by halftime because there isn't adequate rotation players that can be trusted.

• Like 2

Hopefully Jackson rides the bench from now on. BSJ had a really good game outside and that D looked like they were at least somewhat in sync. He had a couple of really good reps against what might be the toughest task for the CBs this season. Probably also Davis' best game here in Washington.

Rough game all around, hardly any positives to take away but at least two young guys somewhat stepped up.

Edit: Just saw that someone already posted the grades.

Edited by Panninho
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

15 hours ago, KDawg said:

they said throw it the Eagles snapped the ball.

14 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

That's an issue with JDR. He takes forever to figure things out. How long did it take him to move Collins to the LB/S hybrid role last year when even all of us fans were screaming for it from day one? St. Juste from the day he was drafted was projected to be a solid press man to man outside CB and we have him playing  zone in the slot. 

I just gotta laugh at that man.  How dumb we are.

10 hours ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Just fire Rivera then if these are the conditions. No reason Riverboat agrees to such malarkey. Ya basically just neutered the HC. Bingo caller 2.0 😑

Why is it malarkey? Ron appears to be worse at playing GM than Bill Belichick and that's saying something. Maybe just being head coach is exactly what Ron/the team needs.

6 hours ago, fearlessNelms said:

I said in the Game day thread that we need to create some turnovers and once again we didn't. We now have gotten one turnover in three games and that came on an under thrown desperation heave. Up until yesterday, our opponents hadn't even put the ball on the ground. We had a chance yesterday at one when the Philly punt returner muffed the punt, but he picked it right back up before getting nailed. Unless you have a dominant D- which we obviously do not- you'd better get some turnovers to offset all you do bad on D. 

As for Rivera, I never liked the hire from day one. I talked myself into positive vibes about him going into his first year hoping he would prove me wrong, but that doesn't look like it's going to happen. We have been out coached and outplayed in at least ten of the twelve quarters of football we've played so far this year. I'll give us the first quarter and maybe the fourth quarter of the Jacksonville game and that's it. I know we outscored Detroit in the second half last week, but as we crept back into the game, every time they needed a play offensively, defensively and on Special Teams, they made it to reject our comeback attempt.

We play with little to no fire and look unprepared to play. Philly has more talent than us, but we've been shoved around like chumps in the last two games and I think we have once again become the laughing stock of teams that know when they play us they're just going to do what they want to us with little resistance. This has gotten ugly already and another season that appeared to have some promise- at least to me- looks like it will be another disaster with 4 or 5 wins being the ceiling. 

They aren't interested in turnovers, inexplicably. They settle for deflections. St Juste played well ( and I'm glad for that )  but he had 2 or 3 int opportunities if he simply turns his head around and/or makes an aggressive play on the ball. None of our players do that. No ambition for turnovers whatsoever. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

Why is it malarkey? Ron appears to be worse at playing GM than Bill Belichick and that's saying something. Maybe just being head coach is exactly what Ron/the team needs.

They aren't interested in turnovers, inexplicably. They settle for deflections. St Juste played well ( and I'm glad for that )  but he had 2 or 3 int opportunities if he simply turns his head around and/or makes an aggressive play on the ball. None of our players do that. No ambition for turnovers whatsoever. 

St-Juste played the best technical man coverage we have seen from a corner in years. Eyes to man, receiver goes for ball head comes around, his hand breaks receivers hands and play the ball.

Legit picture perfect.

The fact people are honestly upset with almost perfect technical coverage is odd considering how bad our CBs have been getting beat so far this year. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 3

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

St-Juste played the best technical man coverage we have seen from a corner in years. Eyes to man, receiver goes for ball head comes around, his hand breaks receivers hands and play the ball.

Legit picture perfect.

The fact people are honestly upset with almost perfect technical coverage is odd considering how bad our CBs have been getting beat so far this year. 

I'm not upset at all. I said I was glad for that. I just added that he had int opportunities that he didn't take advantage of. I'm still happy he did a really good job in coverage.

Like I’m sure many of you I take losses badly. It ruins my whole Sunday and usually the whole next day but I come around. Yesterday was just an a** kicking and hopefully the team has some pride and turns this thing around. 

I see Turner has gotten a lot of blame and rightfully so. I’m sure he has the first 20 plays scripted like most teams. He needs to readjust that script or get rid of it altogether as we always seem to start off slow. Having a lead in the first quarter can make a world of difference. We had that against Jacksonville and it made a difference in our comeback. 

St Juste was amazing yesterday so he should start but Fuller man o man he needs to be benched or moved to the slot. Where was all that talk in camp about how amazing he was playing? Hell at this point play Holmes or the kid Wildgoose. It can’t be any worse. 

Not saying it’s a must win for the playoffs this week but it is a must win to avoid a team implosion. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The just last week stuff in that tweet isn’t true but I’ll give myself a little pat on the back. I said on the draft thread before we even drafted Davis that on the rare times Kentucky rushed him u can see his potential on that front 

At this stage I am pretty certain the coaches are cruising the stadium looking for tips on how to right the ship......

You can't create turnovers with no pass rush.

1 hour ago, Panninho said:

Hopefully Jackson rides the bench from now on. BSJ had a really good game outside and that D looked like they were at least somewhat in sync. He had a couple of really good reps against what might be the toughest task for the CBs this season. Probably also Davis' best game here in Washington.

Rough game all around, hardly any positives to take away but at least two young guys somewhat stepped up.

Edit: Just saw that someone already posted the grades.

I'd like to see WJ3 and St. Juste play on the outside and move Fuller to the slot and continue playing the same man coverage type scheme we played yesterday. Jackson might not be very good but I wouldn't play Wildgoose or whatever the heck his name is over him.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

Like I’m sure many of you I take losses badly. It ruins my whole Sunday and usually the whole next day but I come around.

It used to.

I miss the roller coaster of emotions watching the games.  I just can’t muster the enthusiasm for it any longer.  I actually switched to the red zone channel at halftime and never turned it back.  Sadly, said channel didn’t have to break to our game for over an hour after I turned it there.  😂

I got semi-animated yesterday yelling at Scott for calling hour long plays, as well as yelled at Ron for not throwing the challenge flag.  That was about the gist of my emotion for the whole day.

I can remember when I used to drive my wife nuts and tune into the postgame show every week and watch in its entirety win or lose.  

I long for a day where this team makes or breaks my Sunday.  I’m currently one more performance like this past game away, from finally pulling the trigger and booking a gameday tee time.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I can't imagine how fun it must be to be a fan of the Bills/Dolphins

The Dolphins are interesting to me. The other teams have a true franchise qb (Lamar, Allen) but the jury was still out on Tua. I don’t think he is all that. Yes Waddle and Hill are fantastic. 

You could say they were a mediocre team last year and all of a sudden they are undefeated and beat the Bills. 

Is that Mike McDaniels that good … a rookie head coach? 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

The Dolphins are interesting to me. The other teams have a true franchise qb (Lamar, Allen) but the jury was still out on Tua. I don’t think he is all that. Yes Waddle and Hill are fantastic. 

You could say they were a mediocre team last year and all of a sudden they are undefeated and beat the Bills. 

Is that Mike McDaniels that good … a rookie head coach? 

Tua has above average short and mid level accuracy. He's also decent at getting to his second read. McDaniels' scheme takes advantage of Tua'a strengths and then Waddle/Hill get tons of YAC. The ladder also sneak behind the defense a few times a game for big play opportunities. 

I am sorry but what kind of absurd logic is that. Aknowleding that the WRs are the best players and then saying you must involve others more. We have been failing to get the ball to the #1 and #2 WRs in the first half of every game so far. The last two games we didn't get any WR involved at all until the third quarter. Once we got them the ball the offense showed life.

How is the takeaway not that we absolutely failed to get them the ball and need to find ways to involve them as early as possible? Get the ball into the hands of your best players is the mantra of every great offense in this league but not for us! We need to get the backup TEs more involved apparently.

Terry is 35th in targets with 21 targets through 3 games (that's just 7 per game!). Jahan Dotson has 18 targets through 3 games.

Man, this is some weird stuff.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Seeing all of that green in the stadium didn't piss me off like it used to.  The loss didn't bother me all that much.  It's been this way for the last 20+ years, and there's been one constant.  

I wish I could take the losses with little frustration too but I have lived in the Philly area for the last 20 years and all my friends are die hard Eagles fans. Me … I guess I’m just that loyal to my team and it has not been so good the last 20 years. 🤬