Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Commanders @ Philly (from FedEx Field)

KDawg

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

1) A decimated interior offensive line who struggled with protections and even snaps at times. Cosmi banged up and looking like we would have been better off at times with Curtis Samuels coming out of retirement.

3) I think he's third place in this debate, your mileage may vary. But Wentz at times certainly held the ball too long and took the sacks. As the game went on it was more and more apparent that he was getting Ramsey'd*. As a result of his constant duress, some brought upon himself by holding the ball too long but most due to playcalls and an offensive line that was at best struggling, he also forgot how to throw a pass. High, low, behind, in front. He threw bad passes in just about every way imaginable today. 

*Ramsey'd is in reference to Tulane quarterback Patrick Ramsey. Coach Gibbs got him in behind a porous OL and he wound up getting so shell shocked it looked like he forgot how to physically throw passes at times. It was tough to watch him get hit over and over again.

Excellent post as usual. A couple edits:

1. I think you mean Chris Samuels—that would have been fun to see #60.   Haha

3.  Ramsey was ruined by Spurrier and his lack of check down or blitz pickup offense. Ramsey was shot when Gibbs got him. I remember he had a killer arm and a ton of heart.

I’m glad JDR figured out Davis is fast. Teams are going to be ready for our stunts soon and we will have to beat people one on one eventually.

Edited by Leonard Washington
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, Leonard Washington said:

Excellent post as usual. A couple edits:

1. I think you mean Chris Samuels—that would have been fun to see #60.   Haha

3.  Ramsey was ruined by Spurrier and his lack of check down or blitz pickup offense. Ramsey was shot when Gibbs got him. I remember he had a killer arm and a ton of heart.

I’m glad JDR figured out Davis is fast. Teams are going to be ready for our stunts soon and we will have to beat people one on one eventually.

I did, in fact, mean to say Chris. I had Curtis on the mind. 

• Thumb up 1

My take on today. Wentz, offensive line, and Scott Turner seemed to be on eagles payroll. I will give Turner this…we had 3 wide receiver screens that should have gone for 20-50 yards and our line has no idea how to block them. You watch the Bills or Chiefs and those are blocked so well.

i am proud of our defense. The 3 points Rivera gave up at the beginning of the game and St Juste/AJ Brown play stung a little. The Eagles had every opportunity to smash us into submission with incompetence after incompetence by our offense. 

• Like 1

After the Lions game I told my wife I expect JDR to be fired after the Eagles game if our D plays like they have been.. well Our d wasn't the issue today.  Our issue was the same issue on the other side of the ball the first 2 qtrs vs Lions... the OL.

How do we fix it?  I got flamed for bringing this up a few months ago but I think we need Bill Callahan back.  Dude could put even players that we just picked up off the streets and they could hold their on against some of the best DL in football.  

There has to be a decent center somewhere in a FA or sitting somewhere on someone's roster at a constant healthy scratch on GameDays that could be better then what we are putting on the field.

9 minutes ago, SkinsWmsbg said:

How do we fix it?  I got flamed for bringing this up a few months ago but I think we need Bill Callahan back.  Dude could put even players that we just picked up off the streets and they could hold their on against some of the best DL in football.  

By all counts John Matsko is one of the better OL coaches in the league and he's done a great job the last two years. I have faith he can patch some stuff up but nobody can consistently turn water into wine. And the Eagles DL is healthy, deep, and talented.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Who ever released that JimmyG story to help the eagles knew exactly what they were doing and what was going to happen, after I saw Rons press conference it reaffirmed it. That story before the Eagles game turned Carson into a puddle of goo, he choked, he had a mental breakdown. I finally know what I had been hearing from other fans. Better believe the players noticed it.

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah, the Eagles are legit. That's why I'm not in total panic mode. We got our asses kicked by arguably the best team in the league. 

But its a long season. 

The result is whatever. Same as it has been for most of my 30 years of life 

Just really demoralizing to see the divergent paths taken by these franchises from where they were on 1/3/21. They were near rock bottom but somehow turned it around and have lapped us 

Edited by BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

The result is whatever. Same as it has been for most of my 30 years of life 

Just really demoralizing to see the divergent paths taken by these franchises from where they were on 1/3/21. They were near rock bottom but someone turned it around and have lapped us 

If Pederson allows Hurts to finish that 2020 finale, the Giants win the division that year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

I have a gut feeling that Snyder is giving Rivera his 5 seasons that he originally signed, however, at this point if I am the GM/Front office I am coming to Rivera with an ultimatum that either both coordinators go at the end of the season, or he will be included with them.   

I am tired being told I should be enamored with Scott Turner's "creativity" merely because every game he manages to draw up  a nice play, as if every other coordinator out there couldn't do the same thing with this WR core.   No, what we need a coordinator to be able to do, in real time, is react and adjust to what the defense is showing and doing.  Not wait for a scripted 15 plays, not wait until half time, etc etc....by the time Turner changed to 3-5 step drop quick passes the game was already over and the Philly defense had also adjusted to creep up and defend the shorter stuff.  Some of those pass plays, if they had been called in the first half, they likely get a lot more yards because Philly was very focused on not getting beat over the top.  It's just ridiculous that a coordinator at the NFL level is not able to make adjustments immediately as the game is playing out.

JDR.....we've spoken plenty on this, but OMG you are telling me St Juste was this good on the outside as a corner and it took WJackson being injured to put him there?  St Juste wasn't lights out, but damn near ever ball thrown his way was at least contested.  Weird how he didn't spend half the game looking at everyone else, shrugging his shoulders and waiving his arms around like he has no idea what's going on half the time.  How can JDR be the D-coordinator and not recognize the dude's abilities before now.  Not sure if the Eagles aren't a good rushing offense, but the defense did seem to do better in that area for the most part.  Montez Sweat is still rushing himself out of plays because he seems to only be able to rush from around the outside of a blocker and has no moves or abilities to shift the rush to the inside.  Play after play, the guard just sort of strafes with Sweat upfield and out of the play. 

The offense......O-line or Wentz, Wentz or O-line.....how about both? Yes, Wentz held the ball too long a handful of times, and we will have to wait for the game film to see why.  Was no one open, was he not seeing open guys, was he passing up open checkdowns to look for bigger throws?  The extent of what I have heard as of now was Ron said he missed a few opportunities, but that is super vague.  Ok and now the O-line......WTF was that?  I know they are missing some guys but that did not even look like NFL backup caliber play out there today

I think what hurt the most is that the Eagles looked completely pedestrian for the first quarter and even into the second quarter, but starting with that 40 yard throw that wasn't an actual catch (thanks a lot Ron) they were able to slowly just wear down the inferior team. 

I don't have much more to say because the game just felt like a whole bunch of nothing.  

The gm/front office can’t tell Ron anything because Ron in charge of everything.

Dan needs Tell Ron, in order to return in 23 this needs to happen:

1. Ron is stripped of all power and demoted to head coach only.

2. Ron’s Gm team is fired and Dan hires some new Gm, who will have say over Ron’s future beyond 23.

3. Ron hires new coordinators.

Ron has a problem with those conditions, he can resign.

• Like 2
  • Thumb down 2

And again, as I said in another thread, it's about this particular opponent over a long stretch of time. I went back for the years of Snyders ownership and could only find one game in 2012 that started us off on the RG3 late season run where we kicked Phillys ass. There have been a ton of games during that timeframe againt the Ragles where it's been the other way around. Flappy lips Spurrier on MNF. Vick destroying us. Chip Kelly's first game as coach. This crap.

For as underwhelming as I think Gibbs 2 was, I remember those teams playing Philly hard for the most part. The Eagles came down here in 2004, loaded with McNabb, TO, and Westbrook, and we gave them all they could handle on a Sunday night.

I watched the majority of the game. Offensive line looked atrocious, almost no pass protection. When you have a slow immobile QB like Wentz then you are asking for a disaster. Wentz needs to get rid of the damn ball sooner. Hard to tell if WRs are running bad routes, but they didn't do any favors. Dotson drop was bad. Play calling was bad. Defense was mediocre. Overall a horrible game. I have a bad feeling we will be like 5-12 this year. More of the same, this team sucks.

Awww man, this will be a very long season.

This team is de-volving. It's not a stretch for it to end up 1-16.

The incompetence is everywhere, except for the punting game. That's still very good to excellent.

But that's it. In every other aspect, from GM all the way to the bottom of the organizational pole we suck.

We are *this* close to another Jay Gruden era were the players don't care. 

2 hours ago, SkinsWmsbg said:

After the Lions game I told my wife I expect JDR to be fired after the Eagles game if our D plays like they have been.. well Our d wasn't the issue today.  Our issue was the same issue on the other side of the ball the first 2 qtrs vs Lions... the OL.

There has to be a decent center somewhere in a FA or sitting somewhere on someone's roster at a constant healthy scratch on GameDays that could be better then what we are putting on the field.

Its unfixable.  It was broken when the team decided to let its good O-linemen go because they were so brilliant they could draft or coach up other guys to replace them.  Their ego broke that, and made it unfixable until next season.

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, El Mexican said:

Awww man, this will be a very long season.

This team is de-volving. It's not a stretch for it to end up 1-16.

The incompetence is everywhere, except for the punting game. That's still very good to excellent.

But that's it. In every other aspect, from GM all the way to the bottom of the organizational pole we suck.

We are *this* close to another Jay Gruden era were the players don't care. 

1-16 would be great; we would have the #1 pick.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

The gm/front office can’t tell Ron anything because Ron in charge of everything.

Dan needs Tell Ron, in order to return in 23 this needs to happen:

1. Ron is stripped of all power and demoted to head coach only.

2. Ron’s Gm team is fired and Dan hires some new Gm, who will have say over Ron’s future beyond 23.

3. Ron hires new coordinators.

Ron has a problem with those conditions, he can resign.

Just fire Rivera then if these are the conditions. No reason Riverboat agrees to such malarkey. Ya basically just neutered the HC. Bingo caller 2.0 😑

• Like 1

Rivera and Snyder are both done and need to go.  This franchise is moribund and needs new ownership, and that ownership needs to clean house and start over.  This front office is full of washed up mediocrities that the league has passed by, and our offensive coaching staff was always super weak.  We let so much offensive coaching talent walk out our door over the years, and were left with the one staff that Bill Callahan and Kevin O'Connell were able to humiliate in that three win season before we hired Ron.

Ron is not a great coach and his assistants are all very weak coaches, and getting embarrassed for the second week in a row at the beginning of year three is absolutely damning.  It's a humiliating demonstration of how the game has passed him by and that he can no longer compete with the talented young coaches of the league.  We've fallen so far behind most of the other teams that started rebuilds at the same time as us.  But what's truly making me lose interest and hope with this franchise  is how much power we gave Ron--power that virtually no other coach enjoys outside of Belichick, and power that absolutely no other team in the league would have given him.  But he got all that power because there is such a profound and unique leadership void in this organization that it came to him by default.  He and the Martys all need to be fired, but I honestly don't think there is someone in the organization capable of firing them.

That's why this team is doomed and will not have a chance to improve until the league steps in and forces a change in ownership.

The Redskins are gone.  Part of me just doesn't care any more and wants the team to be sold off and relocated so I can get off this ride for good.

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I was close to the field watching practice pregame and the Eagles are just full of swagger.  Our team not so much, you can feel the vibe before the game even started -- ala the Eagles felt this team doesn't even belong on the same field with them

I pretty much checked out second half and watched red zone. The swagger/intensity visible from most other teams around league is one a different level to us. We’re beaten before we leave the tunnel. 

I’m at the point of thinking Rivera is now running on empty.

I said in the Game day thread that we need to create some turnovers and once again we didn't. We now have gotten one turnover in three games and that came on an under thrown desperation heave. Up until yesterday, our opponents hadn't even put the ball on the ground. We had a chance yesterday at one when the Philly punt returner muffed the punt, but he picked it right back up before getting nailed. Unless you have a dominant D- which we obviously do not- you'd better get some turnovers to offset all you do bad on D. 

As for Rivera, I never liked the hire from day one. I talked myself into positive vibes about him going into his first year hoping he would prove me wrong, but that doesn't look like it's going to happen. We have been out coached and outplayed in at least ten of the twelve quarters of football we've played so far this year. I'll give us the first quarter and maybe the fourth quarter of the Jacksonville game and that's it. I know we outscored Detroit in the second half last week, but as we crept back into the game, every time they needed a play offensively, defensively and on Special Teams, they made it to reject our comeback attempt.

We play with little to no fire and look unprepared to play. Philly has more talent than us, but we've been shoved around like chumps in the last two games and I think we have once again become the laughing stock of teams that know when they play us they're just going to do what they want to us with little resistance. This has gotten ugly already and another season that appeared to have some promise- at least to me- looks like it will be another disaster with 4 or 5 wins being the ceiling. 

• Like 1

Consider this:

The WFT brought in a depleted roster to Philly last year and Garrett Gilbert...GARRETT GILBERT...had a better first half than Wentz did

Yesterday was so bad that even Mark Sanchez and John Beck had better games. It goes down as one of the worst QB first halfs in recent Commanders history. The Commanders have had some ****ty QB's since 2000 and yesterday's performance by Wentz is up there.

I saw it with my own eyes. They didn't cross the 50 until 3 minutes left in the 3rd. That's inept offense.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Consider this:

The WFT brought in a depleted roster to Philly last year and Garrett Gilbert...GARRETT GILBERT...had a better first half than Wentz did

Yesterday was so bad that even Mark Sanchez and John Beck had better games. It goes down as one of the worst QB first halfs in recent Commanders history. The Commanders have had some ****ty QB's since 2000 and yesterday's performance by Wentz is up there.

I saw it with my own eyes. They didn't cross the 50 until 3 minutes left in the 3rd. That's inept offense.

Consider this: it’s not all on Wentz no matter how bad you want it to be. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

Ron Rivera seems to be repeating history but without the 3 good seasons.

Eventually he fired a loser coordinator or two in Carolina but it was too little to late.

Yep.  His press conference after the game, gives me no hope.  He makes losing seem like the game plan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Consider this: it’s not all on Wentz no matter how bad you want it to be. 

I think you hit the nail on the head with the Ramsey comparison. I do agree its not all on Wentz (9 sacks..lordy), but Wentz is cooked, much like Ramsey was by season 2. Wentz was done before leaving philly..he may show glimpses here and there, but will never be consistently good again. 

I think this will end up being another washed QB DC traded for that wont amount to much but gets paid handsomely. The upside in this case is the cap hit wouldn't be catastrophic if they cut him after the season.

*edit cap hit is 0 after this season*

Edited by mattsb84
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, mattsb84 said:

I think you hit the nail on the head with the Ramsey comparison. I do agree its not all on Wentz (9 sacks..lordy), but Wentz is cooked, much like Ramsey was by season 2. Wentz was done before leaving philly..he may show glimpses here and there, but will never be consistently good again. 

I think this will end up being another washed QB DC traded for that wont amount to much but gets paid handsomely. The upside in this case is the cap hit wouldn't be catastrophic if they cut him after the season.

*edit cap hit is 0 after this season*

I don’t know that it’s going to be a waste. I think he’s going to put up overall good numbers and our team will be what it generally is: mediocre. Injuries didn’t help us. I know every team faces them but our OL was decimated. 

Our LB situation is rough, Montez Sweat is invisible. That hurts us.

Our IOL depth is poor. That hurts us.

If we had shored up backer, started BSJ at CB from day 1 and gotten a halfway decent slot corner the Wentz trade probably pays dividends. Still could. 

But if the injuries persist we could have done all of this with someone else at QB. 

I won’t say Howell. Howell back there getting Ramsey’d wouldn’t be good for his long term development. He can move at least, so that could save a few sacks. But then he gets in “have to scramble all the time” mode. And that also hurts development.

The OL was atrocious yesterday.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1