Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

πŸ˜€πŸ˜€ Ron fired days ago. Mission Accomplished.πŸ˜€πŸ˜„

88Comrade2000

48 minutes ago, MrJL said:

Β 

if they were really unsustainable then wh does every team have some of them?

Jump forward a year and look at the teams who have lived and died like thatβ€”some will turn out to have been building toward something good, some will be bad. That’s the nature of it. The problem is that we never build on our fortunate streaks, they just go into the history books as yet another blip of fleeting competence in a sea of incompetent losing. Is your assertion that this season was actually an indicator of things to come, and not just another blip? An argument could be made for that, although many would disagree.Β 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Conn said:

Jump forward a year and look at the teams who have lived and died like thatβ€”some will turn out to have been building toward something good, some will be bad. That’s the nature of it. The problem is that we never build on our fortunate streaks, they just go into the history books as yet another blip of fleeting competence in a sea of incompetent losing. Is your assertion that this season was actually an indicator of things to come, and not just another blip? An argument could be made for that, although many would disagree.Β 

Β 

in the past seven years we've finished with less than seven wins once, the 3-13 season where Jay was fired after five games

4 minutes ago, MrJL said:

Β 

in the past seven years we've finished with less than seven wins once, the 3-13 season where Jay was fired after five games

And? Have our mini win streaks toward wildcard relevance in those seasons ever resulted in something we could build upon the following season, or have we continued to flounder in no man’s land hoping to get lucky?Β 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Hopefully the new owner will restructure the FO with a GM who can hire/fire the HC.Β  In such a scenario, I see the new GM letting Rivera play out the final year of his contract under an ultimatum that the team must reach the playoffs or go a new direction. That might change if Sean Payton or Jim Harbaugh can be lured over here.

• Thumb down 1

2 hours ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Are we frauds? We are 7-8-1 but it seems like we are far away from even being average all our wins felt lucky, oline lb are serious holes we also don’t have a good tight end .Β 

A lot of our games were coin flip wins that could have easily went the other way. We won more than our fair share of one goal games.Β 

Β 

Lets run down the list of all the games:

Β 

Jags W. Lucky we didnt play them later in the year. Still lost by a few inches on an over throw to Etinne in the 4th.

Detroit L. Never even close

Eagles L. Never close

Cowboys L. never close

Titans L. Close game between two bad teams with the late game INTs. Nothing really stands out. One of the few coin flip losses

Bears W. Almost lost in the end. Our only offense came from the muffed punt and two extremely iffy Pass INTs.Β 

Packers W. Aaron was horrible that game while barely being able to hold the ball with his thumb injury and their WRs had like 9 drops. Play them early or late and we get blown out.

Colts W. Luck playing a 6th rounder for his first snaps ever. More Terry heroics on should have been INTs.

Vikings L. Only close because a ref literally tackled a defender about to make a INT look like a punt return. Attributed to just about the only offense we had all game.

Eagles W. We played well. Some extreme luck too. Complete open field fumbles down the field never happen. The blatant missed facemask on the last fumble.Β 

Texans W. The only game that was actually a dominate performance.

Falcons W. Another close game against a bad team. Dont think there was anything egregious for luck in this one.
Giants T. Multiple dropped INTs and Taylor some how not dropping that ball on the Thibs sack in OT.

Giants L. We played horrible and for once didnt have every thing go our way.Β 

49ers L. Couldnt stick around late and the talent disparity was vast.Β 

Browns L. Ugly Ugly Ugly loss to a bad team with nothing to play for at home.

Β 

Most our losses were non contests and many of our wins were heavily luck influenced that could have easily gone the other way.Β 

Β 

At best you can say only giants Tie Titans L could have gone in our favor for a 9-7 record. At worst the Jags Bears Packers Colts Eagles Falcons L and Giants T could have easily gone against us.Β 

We played a razor thin margin and came out ahead on most of them.

9 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

Hopefully the new owner will restructure the FO with a GM who can hire/fire the HC.Β  In such a scenario, I see the new GM letting Rivera play out the final year of his contract under an ultimatum that the team must reach the playoffs or go a new direction. That might change if Sean Payton or Jim Harbaugh can be lured over here.

You talk about wanting a GM and then mention two HCs who would demand full control lol

Β 

Also letting Rivera play under and ultimatum would lead to extremely short sighted moves.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Conn said:

And? Have our mini win streaks toward wildcard relevance in those seasons ever resulted in something we could build upon the following season, or have we continued to flounder in no man’s land hoping to get lucky?Β 

Β 

and we're a apparently a middling team.Β  We were that way before we spent 4 first round picks on DL.Β  We were that when we had a QB room of Josh Johnson and Mark Sanchez

Β 

We are apparently very good at building a team to that point.Β  If we tore everything down, letting all the high priced people go as FA and trading away our best we'd probably do enough with what we acquired to build a 7 to 9 win team

8 minutes ago, MrJL said:

Β 

and we're a apparently a middling team.Β  We were that way before we spent 4 first round picks on DL.Β  We were that when we had a QB room of Josh Johnson and Mark Sanchez

Β 

We are apparently very good at building a team to that point.Β  If we tore everything down, letting all the high priced people go as FA and trading away our best we'd probably do enough with what we acquired to build a 7 to 9 win team

Because they never actually build. There’s never a multi year plan. They draft to fix the previous year failure. The moves as a whole are never about aiming for a SB.Β 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

9 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

@Conn

Β 

No need to simplify, and to clarify, I'm not advocating that Ron be given full permission to trade the farm to address QB like he has right now.

Β 

A new owner should have some discretion in this unique situation you're describing, call it meddling based on the nature of his contractz I call it a check on him having too much power in the first place.

Β 

Jackson is likely a pipe dream, Jordan Love is more likely and hopefully won't cost as much.Β  Β But who ever the new owner is, I want them to prioritize QB regardless of the HC.

Β 

For me, it's not so much about letting Ron save his job, what's best for the franchise is addressing QB and I'm not trying to wait for any offseason other then one we come out of realizing we don't have an answer to try and get one.

Β 

I do not consider what we're heading into an ideal situation at all because of all the question marks.Β  I want a middle ground between what's best for all parties, if Ron feels in anyway he's being prevented from addressing QB and QB being the reason he's let go, we won't hear the end of it.Β  Not how I want the new ownership to start off with.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Like Spurrier replacing Stephen Davis with Trung Candidate?Β 

Β 

Please, enough talent on the roster to not need an overhaul, regardless of coaching philosophy.

The new coach will run an offense and defense that might not b e compatible with the players he inherits ; so expect roster turnover in year 2 of the players that don't mesh.

Β 

This team has won 7 for 3 years , none of the players are guaranteed a spot; if they don't mesh with the new coaches.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

Β 

Shula is probably the one the team forced him to fire. Rivera was on Norvs staff before so naturally he made his typical hire my buddy move.

Yeah but I’m fairness, hiring Norv as an OC was always a good hire. Β He was a bad HC but a HOF level OC for the better part of 40 years.Β 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

The new coach will run an offense and defense that might not b e compatible with the players he inherits ; so expect roster turnover in year 2 of the players that don't mesh.

Then don't hire that coach.

The good coaches in the league look at what they have, figure out what they are strong at and what their weakness is, and then designs a system around those players.

Β 

A bad coach does what you just described. Has a system they refuse to move from and spends 3 years trying to make the current player fit into their system while trying to replace players.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Β 

This team has won 7 for 3 years , none of the players are guaranteed a spot; if they don't mesh with the new coaches.

Β 

Then the new coach is stupid, jus look at some of the PFF scores for our players on defense alone.Β Β 

Β 

Shanny thought he was smarter then everyone when he gutted the strength of our team to move to 3-4, see how that worked out.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Β 

What happened to coaching to players' strengths? Is that not the thing all the cool kids are doing anymore?

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Β 
11 hours ago, Zim489 said:
He can’t be allowed to run rampant in an effort to save his job just to make the next guys job significantly more difficultΒ 
Β 
Β New ownership will want there own guy. I doubt he will be able to save his job. They will bring him back, hire a gm, and let him go at end of year. I like Rivera but with no ownership he does not stand a chance. The new Gm will make decisions hopefully he in place before draft.
Β 
Β 
Β 
Β 

30 minutes ago, TMK9973 said:

Then don't hire that coach.

The good coaches in the league look at what they have, figure out what they are strong at and what their weakness is, and then designs a system around those players.

Β 

A bad coach does what you just described. Has a system they refuse to move from and spends 3 years trying to make the current player fit into their system while trying to replace players.

Exactly.

Β 

Look at Daboll with the Giants. He came from a more pass first offense in Buffalo because he had Josh Allen. But with the Giants its been a lot of read option with Daniel Jones and a heavy dose of Saquon Barkley. He didn't say "Oh hey, Barkley doesn't mess with my scheme, I'm gonna trade him."Β 

Β 

That's the type of coach we need. Maximize what we have instead of forcing square pegs into round holes which has been a problem for us for ~25 years.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

It will be interesting to come back to this thread in 2 years to see the same people ranting to fire that new coach when he doesn't go 3-0, winning by double digits every game...

You can’t imagine a reasonable middle ground between below average and perfection? Interesting

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but Ron is the biggest loser from yesterday. Β Not Carson, not Scott Turner. Β It’s Ron. Β He looks like such an idiot, and is now a national punchline for multiple reasons. Β I thought that he’d get skewered for unnecessarily switching QB’s in a playoff race, but his unbelievably stupid expression at being possibly eliminated from the playoffs when asked at the press conference takes the cake. Β He needs to go. Β He’s an embarrassment now. Β It took 3 years, but now he has his Jim Zorn/Steve Spurrier moment. Β Stay here long enough, and your reputation will rot almost certainly.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I may be in the minority here, but I think this team is close to being good. Put a good QB under center and everything looks different.

I like Rivera, but we have collapsed in December 2 years in a row... He owns that. If Ron stays, I want both coordinators changed.

I want to see what we have in Sam Howell Β before we spend more capital on the QB position. Lets see Howell and Chris Paul in the fire against a Dallas team fighting for the division.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Giants sucked for ten years, worse than us, but have immediately found the right GM/HC combo and are back on the right track.

Β 

We're still stuck in this mess.Β 

Β 

It sucks.

they never tired to fast track anything. Β This year was a bonus. Β We try new paint and carpet every few years and never fix the foundationΒ 

• Thumb up 1

5 hours ago, shemp nixon said:

I may be in the minority here, but I think this team is close to being good. Put a good QB under center and everything looks different.

I like Rivera, but we have collapsed in December 2 years in a row... He owns that. If Ron stays, I want both coordinators changed.

I want to see what we have in Sam Howell Β before we spend more capital on the QB position. Lets see Howell and Chris Paul in the fire against a Dallas team fighting for the division.

It's more than QB and Oline though. Β 

Β 

This team is in dire need of great - not "good" - coaches. Β Head Coach and coordinators, assistants. Β This team is deficient in more than personnel.

Even worse, if Rivera leaves TH in (however, I was ok with putting in Wentz) win or lose, the Wentz Experiment is just considered a strike. You swung, you missed, try again. Putting Wentz back in at this point, blew this whole situation up another tier into "disaster" range.

• Like 1

Three 7 win seasons is not getting the job done.Β  Ron the Coach is not much better than Jay Gruden coached teams.Β  If we get a big name owner then that owner

can probably attract a big name coach.Β  Right now under Snyder we cannot attract didly squat quality head coach. Last week was a disaster.Β  If we lose

to the Cowboys this week then it turns into meltdown range with fans and with this forum.

• Like 2

On 1/2/2023 at 11:33 AM, Riggo#44 said:

What happened to coaching to players' strengths? Is that not the thing all the cool kids are doing anymore?

That'sΒ  putting the players first and prevents the coach from showing off his genius! That'sΒ  unthinkable!

Β 

• Haha 1