Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

😀😀 Ron fired days ago. Mission Accomplished.😀😄

88Comrade2000

We need an offensive style coach. I'm tired of the defense getting all of the attention, draft picks, and FA signings. We need an offensive line and a great QB coach. And after EB called the shotgun on a one yard to first down or TD, I'm over him. He's not a good play caller. We need a head coach who knows how to coach a game offensively and an OC who knows how to call plays. Then we can give attention to the defense.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

11 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I don't think so.  I think Harris is going to want a more progressive coach than Tomlin.  

I like Tomlin and I'm a Tomlin defender.  And he's not old, and you could do a lot worse. But I don't think that's the direction we would go.

The thing to watch is Harris connection to the Steelers. I believe he was a part owner in the past so I suspect he has a good relationship with Tomlin.

It appears Tomlin has become stale and him and probably the Steelers are looking for a change.I don't think we would trade for him, but if fired I think it would be in play.

14 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

The thing to watch is Harris connection to the Steelers. I believe he was a part owner in the past so I suspect he has a good relationship with Tomlin.

It appears Tomlin has become stale and him and probably the Steelers are looking for a change.I don't think we would trade for him, but if fired I think it would be in play.

Harris' connection to the Steelers ended when he sold his stake in that team to buy this team.  Pursuing guys like Tomlin and Belichick represent shades of the previous ownership by going after guys who succeeded elsewhere and now their style has become antiquated.  Harris and Co. need to forge their own path by finding their guy.  Additionally, hiring a defensive minded guy like Tomlin would mean finding a good OC and he's already had issues with their OC (Canada) and are now struggling as a result.

Edited by NoVaSkins21
  • Thanks 1

I really want a young offensive coach. But more and more you see the teams with the best storyline winning with te help of some refball. If the nfl is scripted or rigged in anyway than the coach to get would be belichek. The nfl is sure to love the storyline of him breaking the all time wins record, and be the first to win the big one with 2 different teams. He is buddy buddy with the commish and the owner of the pats and the giants. It could be the perfect story. The nfl and espn media would eat it up. And the refball would go our way for once. He could hire a bright young oc, coach here for 2 years, break the record in the second year on his way to winning the superbowl, and retiring after, getting the perfect storybook ending just like Peyton manning did. Then give the reigns over to the young oc with a new stadium in the works. The story is perfect. But if the nfl is not rigged and scripted then give me a gm that is not stuck in the old way, someone that will use analytics and be innovative, that will set up a good future looking fo, and a young offensive minded hc that will be on the same page.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The one defensive guy I would interview no matter what would be Dan Quinn.  He turned around that Dallas defense from being one of the worst under Mike Nolan to one of the best.  He's coached in the SB, and knows how important offense is.  He also seems to be high energy, and players seem to gravitate towards him.  

He's also only 53.  That's honestly not that old for a Head Coach.  13 HC's are 50 or older.  That's not some boomer dinosaur.  53 is squarely GenX.  Dude grew up with flannel, grunge and Nirvana.  

I would lean towards an offensive minded HC also.  But Dan Quinn should get a look.  

This is going to be unpopular, but from what I've seen, I'd stay the hell away from Ben Johnson.  I don't care that he is young, unshaven Sean McVay lookalike. I've watched enough of the Lions, I don't think they're going to finish the season well and I don't think his offense is going to translate to a new team well at all.  Just a gut feel.  

I wouldn't love it, wouldn't hate it.  He's been for Dallas sort of what Gregg Williams was for Gibbs.  A fired HC who was an excellent defensive coordinator who came here and shined in that department.  He's Gregg level good as a coordinator.  But that doesn't always translate to HC.

The issue i had with a D coordinator is even if they hire a good O coordinator, you tend to lose those guys eventually if they are very good at their job.

https://www.actionnetwork.com/nfl/dan-quinn-nfl-coaches-fired-ats-records

His record as a favorite that's more telling. In the era of parity, not covering as a favorite means, at best, your coach is average. Fail as consistently as Quinn has, and it’s telling of a lack of preparation.

Thanks to blowing a 28-3 Super Bowl lead against the Pats and two double-digit fourth-quarter leads this season against the Cowboys and Bears, Quinn's teams have a reputation of struggling to finish games. Yet, when it comes to the season as a whole, Quinn's teams too often fell short early onâ€Ķ

Quinn has made some bad decisions — kicking a field goal on fourth down to cut a 17-13 deficit to 17-16 late in the fourth quarter of a game against the 49ers in 2015, comes to mind — but unlike some coaches who are deficient in a certain area of decision-making, Quinn's signature was far less specific, unless you want to call "finding new ways to collapse" a signature.

Rather, Quinn-coached teams routinely turned out to be less than the sum of its parts on game day. He led the type of team team that could recover its own onside kicks better than it could recover the opponents'; the type of team for which the best defensive play-caller was its wide receiver coach; and the type of team in which the defense is broken, yet it's the offense that no-shows on a day when the defense allows a season-low in points.

Even worse, Quinn's teams would never bounce back well.

Usually, you can expect a team to play above expectation after a loss for reasons that include motivation, being undervalued due to recency bias, or sheer regression to the mean. But Quinn's teams struggled to cover the spread the week after a straight-up loss:

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

No to Tomlin. He is a good coach but I want someone hungry to prove themselves.  No to EB. Not because he yells but because he cannot adjust his offense to fit the players he has. There were kore WR open in Scott Turners offense and that’s saying something.  And that constant run up the middle on 2nd down is tiresome.  Few deep balls are more on the line.  No time to develop.  If EB were really that good he would be getting more out of what he has.  

Let the new GM pick his coach

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

If I had to guess, I would say that Harris already has a short list of who he wants to go after as our head coach. I don't picture Harris as the type to sit back and see what happens. He prepares and comes up with a plan.

I hope that plan is for a GM and not a HC selection.   We don’t need another owner thinking he is a GM.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

Just now, Idaho fan said:

I hope that plan is for a GM and not a HC selection.   We don’t need another owner thinking he is a GM.  

True that. I should have included GM in what I said and no doubt a new GM would pick the coach but the owner needs to do his due diligence on coaches.

• Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, Simmsy said:

I still don't get the EB hate, look at what he was given, what did you expect him to do in less than a year under these circumstances? Last I remember, our defense was supposed to carry the team while our new, offense found its feet. Turns out the offense was going to have to find its feet and carry the team. So many people are blaming EB, saying the work load isn't fair to Sam...it isn't fair to the offense, period! nI'd like to see what EB can do with a better balanced team and more than less than a year to "prove" himself. I hope he gets a HC job somewhere, I'll be rooting for him.

Sorry, these players are ****ing soft. Ship'em all out for all I care.

EB has shown here, the so called hype was just that. He has proven to be a fraud.  He’s not a good oc and he’s not someone you want to hire as head coach. 
I’m sure he’ll get an interview or two but doubtful he gets hired.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

EB should've never had to move to another OC position. His next move from KC should've been as HC. Coming here was a sure-fire death sentence under a putrid, clueless coach/emperor in RR. The team was always bound to fail, no matter what EB (or any OC) brought. What are you gonna do with that line?

Lesser accomplished coordinators got HC gigs. You don't need Jessica Fletcher or Colombo to help understand why.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I will blow a gasket if Harris trades for Tomlin without already having a GM in place. I am done with the "head coach is the final say" crap. I want a real rebuild from the GM down.

0% chance it happens. 

Reporters out of habit link us to big name retreads. There is still a stench of the Snyder aura surrounding us.

• Like 2

Problem is Tomlin is too loyal to his coaches, just like Rivera. He's not enough of an innovative thinker either...evidence is that he's considering promoting the interim OC already because he hired him and they knew each other before that ...after 2 weeks of putrid offense worse than Matt Canada. Rumor is that owner Rooney might have to intervene to prevent that...that's not the kind of mindset a team needs from a coach.

In a lot of ways, Tomlin plays checkers while all the new offensive-minded whiz kids are playing 3-D chess.

Edited by BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, skinzplay said:

EB should've never had to move to another OC position. His next move from KC should've been as HC. Coming here was a sure-fire death sentence under a putrid, clueless coach/emperor in RR. The team was always bound to fail, no matter what EB (or any OC) brought. What are you gonna do with that line?

Lesser accomplished coordinators got HC gigs. You don't need Jessica Fletcher or Colombo to help understand why.

That in itself is telling...Chiefs were not ever promoting EB.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

9 hours ago, skinzplay said:

EB was certainly handcuffed by the OL. But IMO he had a voice, perhaps a strong voice, in signing Wylie.  But if he really was a creative mind we would have seen receivers open.  But that just didn't happen, we saw receivers covered all season.  A good OC could have made something out of these pieces, he failed to maximize the talent here and it could be argued he minimized the talent.  

• Like 5

Another reason to avoid Tomlin is that he's been the coach of the steelers one of the best run franchises is the world.

Their floor is damn near .500

No thanks on wanting anybody they're done with.

Belichick is a little more intriguing to me in that he'd almost certainly give our defense a 180 and if he'd be willing to give up gm duties I'd have a little more interest in him but my first choice is still an exhaustive search to find the next joe gibbs.

Plus it's more rewarding to have success with "your own guy" so to speak.

So Barnwell is an exception who doesn't think highliy of this job in contrast to others.  Condemnation of Ron in a big way with the lack of talent, need to rebuild the culture lines.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/39104100/ranking-nfl-head-coach-openings-2024-season-best-worst-jobs-raiders-panthers-patriots

Ranking NFL head-coach openings for 2024: Best, worst jobs

• barnwell_bill.png&h=80&w=80&scale=crop
    Bill Barnwell, ESPN Staff WriterDec 14, 2023, 06:30 AM ET

7. Washington Commanders

Pros: Halo effect from new ownership, low expectations, draft capital
Cons: Subpar facilities, lack of star talent at key positions, need to rebuild culture

What has happened in Washington isn't really Ron Rivera's fault, but somebody else is probably going to be the one attempting to solve the issue that has vexed everyone short of Joe Gibbs for 30 years: How do the Commanders build a consistent winner? They haven't won a playoff game since 2005 or advanced out of the divisional round since Gibbs won his last Super Bowl in 1992.

One big difference is the next coach won't be beginning his tenure under team owner Daniel Snyder. With Josh Harris headlining the group of investors that purchased the team last summer, the natural comparison here is to another team Harris took over: the Philadelphia 76ers. Harris famously hired Sam Hinkie and embarked on what has become known as "The Process," a to-the-studs rebuild that eventually yielded Joel Embiid and Ben Simmons, albeit after Hinkie resigned from the team in 2016.

There's no guarantee that the Commanders will tank or embark on a similar sort of meandering rebuild, but at the very least, Harris was willing to sign off on an extensive rebuild that was going to take multiple seasons. They have a few talented players, but they're not one quarterback or one draft away from competing for a Super Bowl. Any coach or general manager who comes here is going to be both pitching and operating on a long-term timeline for success.

While the Commanders aren't as bereft of talent as other teams in this article, they don't have the sort of players that the vast majority of teams around the league are built around. The most expensive positions to fill are quarterback, edge rusher, wide receiver, defensive tackle and cornerback. Washington has Terry McLaurin at wide receiver and the duo of Jonathan Allen and Daron Payne at defensive tackle, but all three are already on second contracts and likely to be approaching or in their 30s by the time there's meaningful help around them.

With apologies to what has been a high-octane year for sophomore quarterback Sam Howell, the Commanders don't have much to be excited about at those other positions. The jury is still out on rookie first-round pick Emmanuel Forbes, and they need to start hitting on draft picks at positions they'll have trouble filling in free agency. They'll have extra second- and third-round picks from the trades they made at the deadline involving Montez Sweat and Chase Young, which will help. If they end up with a pick that has significant trade value for one of the teams wanting to add a quarterback, the Commanders will need to give that deal serious thought.

Cutting ties with one of the last remnants of the Snyder regime will buy the new coach some time, but this is also going to be a job where the public-facing executives running things are going to need to be friendlier and more open than usual. The new regime is going to need to do whatever possible to reignite the passion of lapsed Commanders fans, and for the next couple of years, it won't be the quality of the play on the field or the comfort of the stadium. If you pay attention to coaching news conferences around the league, you'll see that openness and warmth aren't exactly qualities some coaches care to exude.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, skinzplay said:

I suspect he came here for a shot at the HC job in the event RR retired or was booted by Snyder. It wouldn’t surprise me to learn some arrangement was made between the two behind Ron’s back before things fell apart for DS.

29 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

Yep, rebuilding the culture was a frequent refrain we heard from RR. What is our culture exactly? Maybe a beat reporter will ask him. Allen says it's been seven years of the same "stuff"; that's inclusive of 4 years of RR's "stuff".

Yeah.

I'm of the opinion that currently there is no culture with this organization.  No bad.  No good.  Just...neutral.  

Ron came in and did basically very little.  He wasn't a lowlife like Snyder, and he was open to hiring a diverse group, which is wonderful, and I applaud.  But he was brought in to win and to rebuild the culture into a positive one.  Neither has happened.  

We are a worse team on the field than when he took over.  That's indisputable.  It's a horrid, horrid team.   Off the field, all Ron did really was not hire horrible people (although the athletic trainer saga was a huge black mark for sure).  

But listen to the players.  There's been no real culture change here outside of getting us to a neutral one.  Hell, when EB came in, all you heard about was that he was going to implement a good culture.  WOW.  So what then did Ron actually do?  That was as damning a revelation as it gets.  My own opinion is that Ron gets way too much credit for building a culture that truly doesn't exist. 

Harris and his group will be the first ones to implement the first true, positive culture in this organization since Snyder bought it.

Edited by Redwards
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

So Barnwell is an exception who doesn't think highliy of this job in contrast to others.  Condemnation of Ron in a big way with the lack of talent, need to rebuild the culture lines.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/39104100/ranking-nfl-head-coach-openings-2024-season-best-worst-jobs-raiders-panthers-patriots

Ranking NFL head-coach openings for 2024: Best, worst jobs

• barnwell_bill.png&h=80&w=80&scale=crop
    Bill Barnwell, ESPN Staff WriterDec 14, 2023, 06:30 AM ET

7. Washington Commanders

Pros: Halo effect from new ownership, low expectations, draft capital
Cons: Subpar facilities, lack of star talent at key positions, need to rebuild culture

What has happened in Washington isn't really Ron Rivera's fault, but somebody else is probably going to be the one attempting to solve the issue that has vexed everyone short of Joe Gibbs for 30 years: How do the Commanders build a consistent winner? They haven't won a playoff game since 2005 or advanced out of the divisional round since Gibbs won his last Super Bowl in 1992.

One big difference is the next coach won't be beginning his tenure under team owner Daniel Snyder. With Josh Harris headlining the group of investors that purchased the team last summer, the natural comparison here is to another team Harris took over: the Philadelphia 76ers. Harris famously hired Sam Hinkie and embarked on what has become known as "The Process," a to-the-studs rebuild that eventually yielded Joel Embiid and Ben Simmons, albeit after Hinkie resigned from the team in 2016.

There's no guarantee that the Commanders will tank or embark on a similar sort of meandering rebuild, but at the very least, Harris was willing to sign off on an extensive rebuild that was going to take multiple seasons. They have a few talented players, but they're not one quarterback or one draft away from competing for a Super Bowl. Any coach or general manager who comes here is going to be both pitching and operating on a long-term timeline for success.

While the Commanders aren't as bereft of talent as other teams in this article, they don't have the sort of players that the vast majority of teams around the league are built around. The most expensive positions to fill are quarterback, edge rusher, wide receiver, defensive tackle and cornerback. Washington has Terry McLaurin at wide receiver and the duo of Jonathan Allen and Daron Payne at defensive tackle, but all three are already on second contracts and likely to be approaching or in their 30s by the time there's meaningful help around them.

With apologies to what has been a high-octane year for sophomore quarterback Sam Howell, the Commanders don't have much to be excited about at those other positions. The jury is still out on rookie first-round pick Emmanuel Forbes, and they need to start hitting on draft picks at positions they'll have trouble filling in free agency. They'll have extra second- and third-round picks from the trades they made at the deadline involving Montez Sweat and Chase Young, which will help. If they end up with a pick that has significant trade value for one of the teams wanting to add a quarterback, the Commanders will need to give that deal serious thought.

Cutting ties with one of the last remnants of the Snyder regime will buy the new coach some time, but this is also going to be a job where the public-facing executives running things are going to need to be friendlier and more open than usual. The new regime is going to need to do whatever possible to reignite the passion of lapsed Commanders fans, and for the next couple of years, it won't be the quality of the play on the field or the comfort of the stadium. If you pay attention to coaching news conferences around the league, you'll see that openness and warmth aren't exactly qualities some coaches care to exude.

7? Thats where this franchise ranks as far as jobs go? I dont see it. You have a ton of cap space and draft capital. You also have a serviceable QB in place if you want to stay with him. The article is behind a paywall so I couldnt see who was ranked higher. But the Commanders are an excellent opportunity for a new GM.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Redwards said:

I'm of the opinion that currently there is no culture with this organization.  No bad.  No good.  Just...neutral.  

Ron came in and did basically very little.

To be fair, Ron did get rid of those damn ping pong tables....for some reason.  ðŸĪŠ

• Haha 3