Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Work/Life Balance and Quietly Quitting

PleaseBlitz

You all should try to be righteous and pure of mind like me.

I get 7-8 hours of quality sleep through the night without any medication.

15 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

I'm a fan of 303 too...I need to get back on that. 

I only know 303 as a Denver area code so I assumed this was the number for your cannabis store.

Edited by Corcaigh
  • Like 1

Formula 303. 

Formula 303 is an all-natural homeopathic remedy composed of only two herbal ingredients and magnesium.  This particular combination has proven effective for over 50 years to help relax muscles and ease symptoms of insomnia, tension, anxiety & stress, muscle spasms aches, and pain.

What’s In It?
Formula 303 includes of 6 parts Valerian Root, 3 parts Passiflora, and 1 part Magnesium Carbonate.

https://www.authchiropractic.com/formula-303-all-natural-muscle-relaxant-at-auth-chiropractic-vitality/

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Like 1

I never had an issue with the term work/life balance. I’ve always viewed it from making sure work minimally impacts your life. I’m a work to live person - I work so I can live the way I want. 

Just recently passed a year in the new gig. First job with unlimited time off. It’s ****ing awesome. 

It’s not for everyone. But if you can manage yourself well it’s fantastic 

• Thumb up 1

12 minutes ago, tshile said:

Getting their stupid date ordering correct is a nice touch 

My sister worked for the administration function of the European Government. Her official out of office message for all of August essentially was this. “I will be back in the office on 1st of September and your email will not be read until then.”

End of message. Granted, she only would have received emails from coworkers, but still.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I almost never have my ringer on anymore.  Buzzette doesn't like it but she doesn't understand the freedom of it.  20 years of never being off, even on vacation.  

My wife and kids numbers make the phone ring. Everything else is silent, not even a vibrate. They can leave a voicemail or send a text.

• 9 months later...

Job Experts Blame ‘Resenteeism’ For Why Gen Z Does The Bare Minimum At Work — But Gen X Workers Might Be Even Worse

It's no secret that Gen Z has gained a reputation for being the most challenging generation to work with. Many companies and hiring managers have admitted to having a bias toward Gen Zers, preferring to hire older candidates because of their lack of workplace skills. This, in turn, has caused a level of resentment and lack of enthusiasm for how Gen Zers approach their roles at work.

In a TikTok video, Brett Trainor, a career content creator, questioned if anyone had heard of the term "resenteeism." He explained that he recently learned the term after stumbling across a CNBC article about Gen Zers evolving their quiet quitting into resenteeism. 

In 2021 and 2022, employers admitted that quiet quitting had become a significant trend in which employees subtly disengaged from work and did the least they could get away with without drawing attention, often due to dissatisfaction with work conditions or company culture. However, a new trend has emerged — resenteeism.

According to CNBC, resenteeism is a combination of "resentment" and "absenteeism," where employees continue working in roles they find dissatisfying because they either can’t find a better-suited job or think they won’t be able to. An evolved version of quiet quitting, not only are employees disengaged, but they carry a massive amount of resentment as well. 

In CNBC's Workforce Survey, 47% of Gen Z respondents say they are coasting by at work, with only 40% saying they are thriving. This is the opposite of all older generations, in which a higher proportion claim they are thriving in their roles.

In addition to not feeling engaged in work, Gen Z also finds their responsibilities uninspiring. Gen Z workers report having the least meaningful work (14%) and least autonomy at work (21%) compared to other generations. In an interview with FOX Business, Jennifer Libby, a district manager with Insperity in Kansas City, Missouri, explained that over time, many employees, especially young adults, develop resentment for their employer because they feel trapped in a job they don't want.

In Trainor's video, he pointed out that Gen Zers aren't the only ones who are struggling with resentment for their employer and job positions. He explained that Gen Z always have other options and opportunities to take up side hustles to supplement their income at jobs they don't enjoy. 

However, Gen Xers rarely have anywhere else to go, which is why they tend to stay at the same jobs for most of their careers. "This is exactly what I was feeling four years ago when I ended up just leaving and going solo again without a plan," Trainor admitted. 

"I think people are still underestimating the issue that this is gonna cause because Gen X keeps dropping out. It's going to cause a leadership void," he continued. Trainor even acknowledged that companies and employers brought on this resentment themselves with the major layoffs and return to office mandates.

Click on the link for the full article

Posted (edited)

I was an Adjunct Professor teaching my profession for 6 months recently, full-circle dream fulfilled.

I left after 6 months because my kids at the age they were needed me more then my students did.

To me, that's true work life balance.  When you're fortunate enough for it to be a choice, choose wisely.

RDT_20240331_1609582765235007275328590.jpg

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Awwwww the poor little Gen Z kids feel trapped in a job they don’t want. Awwwwwww 

I'm starting to really shake my head on this piling on of what younger generations dont understand or know that "they should".

Like memes or articles teasing millennials for not knowing how to do certain things with their hands.

The truth is its each generations responsibility to teach the next one, so if a whole ass generation is getting "clowned" by a previous generation on something they don't know, the truth it's the previous generation who are the real clowns for not teaching them.

In this case, expectations have not been clarified.  Gen Z for most part are mostly in entry level or early parts of their careers.  Autonomy is NOT earned through hardworking, its typically earned by getting a different position as you move up in your career path.

Unfortunately, this is not a country that prides itself on taking care of their workers like the reputation Europe has (and the Internet has unveiled that to both mine and younger generations). 

No, this is a work or die country, push back was inevitable.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Thanks 2

I work in construction/home remodeling/repair, at forty years old, I'm the youngest one on the jobsite. The only people younger than I am are the nepo babies (nepotism is rampant in this field) and they are lazier than hell. I hate this line of work now and I hate working for my boss. He's the typical maga moron who knows how to do his job, but can't tie his own ****ing shoe. Add on to the fact that he's lazy and takes any type of intelligence as a threat...I'm ready to leave this field.

Also, I'm pissed off that my generation isn't allowed to have hobbies or free time anymore. Every second is supposed to be spent making money at a side gig or something, I want a side gig only so I can cut back days on my main gig because I ****ing hate it.

• Sad 1

Lol

”why we do the bare minimum at work”

enjoy getting paid the bare minimum and not advancing 

I’m sure when you have 20 years in and it’s gone nowhere you’ll have a list of reasons for that, none of which will be your fault 

12 minutes ago, tshile said:

Lol

”why we do the bare minimum at work”

enjoy getting paid the bare minimum and not advancing 

I’m sure when you have 20 years in and it’s gone nowhere you’ll have a list of reasons for that, none of which will be your fault 

The days of the best/hardest worker getting a promotion is done. Most companies would rather keep that hard worker working, than advancing them and trying to find ANOTHER hard worker. Any idiot can pretend to manage, but you need actually good workers to get any of the actual work done.

• Thanks 2

I don't think the idea that the best workers got promoted was ever true.

https://press.princeton.edu/ideas/a-belief-in-meritocracy-is-not-only-false-its-bad-for-you

A belief in meritocracy is not only false: it’s bad for you

With respect to the idea of quiet quitting, I think there are 2 things.  There are people that are doing the bare minimum at work or that have an independent/entrepreneural (that doesn't actually pay the bills) side hustle and that seems to be their focus even at work.  And those people are frustrating.

Then I think for a lot of jobs changes in technology have created a situation where the job has creeped into all sorts of hours and times to the point that you're never off.  And I think some people are pushing back against those sorts of things.  That I don't have a problem with.

(And really companies should be helping with that.  Burning out your employees is real and doesn't do anybody any good.)

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

23 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

The days of the best/hardest worker getting a promotion is done. Most companies would rather keep that hard worker working, than advancing them and trying to find ANOTHER hard worker. Any idiot can pretend to manage, but you need actually good workers to get any of the actual work done.

Facts.

You can be so good at your job they can't afford to lose you via a promotion or move to another department.

My Wife tried to move to accounting and found out her manager raised concerns about filling her position to upper management.

Told her only way to get what you want is to go somewhere else, you get promotions and paid what you're worth these days by changing employers.

• Thumb up 2

1 hour ago, Simmsy said:

This has not been my experience

however it is what I hear a lot of people, that never advance, and justify why they do the minimum, say 

🤷‍♂️ 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm starting to really shake my head on this piling on of what younger generations dont understand or know that "they should".

Like memes or articles teasing millennials for not knowing how to do certain things with their hands.

The truth is its each generations responsibility to teach the next one, so if a whole ass generation is getting "clowned" by a previous generation on something they don't know, the truth it's the previous generation who are the real clowns for not teaching them.

In this case, expectations have not been clarified.  Gen Z for most part are mostly in entry level or early parts of their careers.  Autonomy is NOT earned through hardworking, its typically earned by getting a different position as you move up in your career path.

Unfortunately, this is not a country that prides itself on taking care of their workers like the reputation Europe has (and the Internet has unveiled that to both mine and younger generations). 

No, this is a work or die country, push back was inevitable.

The best recruiting call I ever heard happened 8 or 9 years ago when I was working at a boutique IT recruiting agency.  There were about 10 of us in the office and only one of us was on the phone.  That was kind of rare, but it allowed us to listen in on one particular call. 

The recruiter that was on the phone was probably the greatest recruiter I've ever met.  At the time he was about 30 years old, had been a former track star in college, had 3 DUIs under his belt and bragged about the chicks he picked up on the weekends in an effort to stay in the closet and truly just did not give a **** about anything or anyone and depending on the day could let you know exactly that.  But he got more people hired at our clients than anyone.

So he's on the phone with a candidate who wants a job at a client we're working with and he's asking question after question about why this candidate hasn't been able to hold a job for more than 6-8 months at a time for the past several years.  

"Okay, so in June through October of 2014 you were at this company, why'd you leave?"

He stops asking questions and then repeats the candidates reasons back to him.  "Okay, so you left this company because you had a problem with the manager.  And you left the next one because you didn't like the boss.  And you left this one because you had a disagreement with co-worker and couldn't stand working with them....You left this one because..."

And then he summed it up.  "I can't do anything for you.  You have a 'you' problem.  You're the problem in every reason you've left a job, you are the common denominator."  

So yeah, Ren, it's the responsibility for each generation to teach the next generation lessons but sometimes the truth hurts.  A wise man once wrote, "A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest," and that statement rings true in a lot of areas but it especially rings true in work environments.

I've spoken with hundreds of clients over the past 15 years, and thousands upon thousands of candidates.  Anywhere from three to ten calls a day listening to people explain why they want to leave their current job or why they feel like they deserve something or what they want out of their next career move or why they can't find a job, etc, etc, Monday through Friday for 15 years.  To say I'm a bit jaded and cynical would be an understatement.  And to be clear, I'm jaded and cynical just not with candidates but the clients, too, so I'm well aware about the bull**** that's on their end.  

But I do know one thing for sure; in the similar vein of how it never hurts to be the best dressed person in the room, it also never hurts to be the hardest working person in the room.  

These things said, I am still cynical and jaded and I really don't give much of a **** past this.  So I'll let you have the final word and continue to ignore this thread.

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

Then I think for a lot of jobs changes in technology have created a situation where the job has creeped into all sorts of hours and times to the point that you're never off.  And I think some people are pushing back against those sorts of things.  That I don't have a problem with.

(And really companies should be helping with that.  Burning out your employees is real and doesn't do anybody any good.)

this I definitely see a lot of 

always connected has had its drawbacks. I think in europe they have very specific rules about this exact thing. I recall it being explained to me once but I don’t remember the details 

45 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

My Wife tried to move to accounting and found out her manager raised concerns about filling her position to upper management.

That’s really bad management. 

there are lots of really bad managers/poorly run companies in that regard. A good manager wants to see their employees advance even when it means more work for the manager. I watch my wife do it all the time. But she works for someone that provides those opportunist and encourages that. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Told her only way to get what you want is to go somewhere else, you get promotions and paid what you're worth these days by changing employers.

This I’ll never understand. 

I see it a lot. The cost of recruiting, interviewing, the training time, and then you wind up paying more to bring someone in than to keep someone. You’ll get more money finding someone desperate to fill a seat for whatever role, than working with a person that already has the seat filled. It’s like they don’t have expect you to be able to get a new job or something 

• Like 1

@Spaceman Spiff

question:

how many months/years do you need to see at a job to remove any concern about it being a flag?

like in your example you’ve got someone less than a year. Makes sense. 

what if it’s 18 months-2 years? 

I’m guessing the job title changes matter too - like someone just getting the same job  every 12-14 months might be a flag as opposed to someone that’s “progrsssing” in some way…..

also do you have any jobs open? Asking for a friend 

😂 

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, tshile said:

@Spaceman Spiff

question:

how many months/years do you need to see at a job to remove any concern about it being a flag?

Well I wanted to ignore this thread but since you asked...

I really don't care about the months/years, I really care about the reasons why they left and I look for patterns if there are any to be found.  Sometimes people have had a few horses shot out from under them and their reasons are something like "they hired me but then they lost a few clients and couldn't afford to keep me anymore, so since I was the most recent one hired, I was the first to be let go," "we merged with another company and there were layoffs," "my company said I could work from home when Covid started, I moved, and then all of a sudden they said I had to be back in the office," etc.  

If it's line after line of "I didn't like my boss/my boss didn't like me" or "I had to stay late on a Friday because a server went down and that really upset me," I'm probably not interested in continuing the conversation.

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1