Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What do you do for fatigue?

Bang

Kind of a broad topic title, but I'm looking for some advice.
What do you do for fatigue? Some background.. I am 59 in a month, I'm in fairly decent health. I'm a little overweight, but nothing extraordinary. I eat fairly well, don't eat a lot of fried food or sugars, red meat I like, but not often.  I like beer and wine, but again, not in extraordinary amounts. Not a caffeine drinker, but I do use 5 hour energy, usually once in the morning. I take a multi-vitamin and a supplement for my joints and another for my eyes. scale one way or another. 
I'm active, I play pickleball 2 to 4 times a week. I sleep rather well, although rarely without waking up once or twice in the night. Usually to roll off my shoulder or take a leak, but no trouble falling back asleep. No trouble waking up or getting out of bed in the morning, I'm an early-to-bed early-to-rise type.
But some days I am so fatigued it just feels like i have molasses in my veins. Not low energy, NO energy, like i took 3 Benadryl or something. Doesn't matter what I eat (Often I'll drink a glass of OJ or something to see if it helps, Sometimes it does.)
Does anyone recommend a decent supplement to give me a little more energy? I don't want my heart racing, Just to be alert and somewhat in the moment.

Thanks in advance, I always get great advice from our group.

~Bang

3 minutes ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

Whats your water intake?

It's good, not great, but i'd say it's around 40 ozs a day. I'd like to be closer to 60, but sometimes being in and out as i'm working makes it hard to get as much.
Every day I put eight 8oz bottles in the fridge to be my daily,, most days I have about 2 or 3  leftover.

~Bang

• Thumb up 1

Fatigue and MS go hand in hand.  By two I can't rely on myself to have the normal brilliant judgement that I always depended on.  Over the years I've learned to plan most of my life before noon and to take a regular nap almost every day.  It's not always snoozing, tho sometimes it certainly is, but just shutting down external stimuli and practicing breathing exercises for an hour or so.  

The nap/downtime allows me to at least be awake enough to interact in the evening and once it becomes a regular thing you kind of accrue some energy reserves.  

At 55 age is definitely becoming part of it too.  

Buena suerte brother 

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

That's essentially what 5 Hour energy is,, a huge slam of B vitamins (with a little caffeine). From all I've read, B vitamins are hard for the body to absorb, so when this little bottle slams so many into you the body will take what it can use and slough the rest off. So the first time i read the package and it said "8,000% RDA of B-12" i flipped out, glad i had read it before i drank it,, then I looked it up. Been drinking them for years and i like them, no jitters, no mal effects. Most days I drink 2. I have one in the morning, and if I play pickleball in the afternoon / evening, I'll have one then.

~Bang

4 minutes ago, The 12th Commandment said:

Fatigue and MS go hand in hand.  By two I can't rely on myself to have the normal brilliant judgement that I always depended on.  Over the years I've learned to plan most of my life before noon and to take a regular nap almost every day.  It's not always snoozing, tho sometimes it certainly is, but just shutting down external stimuli and practicing breathing exercises for an hour or so.  

The nap/downtime allows me to at least be awake enough to interact in the evening and once it becomes a regular thing you kind of accrue some energy reserves.  

At 55 age is definitely becoming part of it too.  

Buena suerte brother 

I don't think I have any serious conditions.. I do notice I drop things more lately. But while I'd say often that is due other things, it is something I've noticed. I haven't noticed any problems with motor functions or anything. 

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, Bang said:

That's essentially what 5 Hour energy is,, a huge slam of B vitamins (with a little caffeine). From all I've read, B vitamins are hard for the body to absorb, so when this little bottle slams so many into you the body will take what it can use and slough the rest off. So the first time i read the package and it said "8,000% RDA of B-12" i flipped out, glad i had read it before i drank it,, then I looked it up. Been drinking them for years and i like them, no jitters, no mal effects. Most days I drink 2. I have one in the morning, and if I play pickleball in the afternoon / evening, I'll have one then.

~Bang

I don't think I have any serious conditions.. I do notice I drop things more lately. But often that is due other things. But it is something I've noticed. I haven't noticed any problems with moor functions or anything. 

~Bang

I wasn't bringing up MS except to explain why I've had to develop ways to deal with fatigue.  Certainly not to imply you might have it.  You'd most likely know.  I would think my solutions, however, would work equally well for healthy people who are just getting old.  😂

I'm certain gbear would have some insight into dealing with it as well. He has a far busier life than I and manages it all with aplomb.

Edited by The 12th Commandment
  • Thumb up 1

Very common experience for ppl right now. Including myself for the past 2 years. Going for 2nd round of tests.

There are so many factors for fatigue it’s best to get checked out by Family Dr first.

Adrenal fatigue, low testosterone, thyroid, pituitary gland (all hormonal reasons). Long haul COVID. Lyme disease. Vitamin deficiencies (B12 complex). Depression. Burnout. Etc.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

The only one I havent seen mentioned that i would add in is vitamin D. I found adding it added a lot to my energy level. 

As another MS patient, I know the joy of those days where one's get up and go got up and left with out you. 

I won't add what gets me going as advice because I won't suggest anyone have 4 irresponsible kids, 4 dogs and 3 cats (2 ours).  That's my "Get your arse moving. You can stop when they do, and we know that isnt happening any time soon!"

Edited by gbear
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

First off, tell your doctor.  Hopefully you can find one of those wellness doctors that checks all the various levels in your blood to see if you’re short somewhere.  Most doctors in the US just check to see if you’re dying, and then send you on your way.  That’s not enough.  

if that isn’t it… well, you’re going to get a thousand answers because I suspect the cause of fatigue varies as do each of our bodies.  For me, when I feel like I have zero energy and I am getting enough sleep, it’s usually my diet that’s the issue.  Sugar and bread/pasta excess leave me feeling lethargic.  Note that I’m not saying these things cause this in general, I’m saying that in me they do.  I switch to eating salads fruits and meats mostly and increase my water intake.  I increase my activity level a little bit.  This usually does the trick for me.  

Another trick I use is switching out a heavy breakfast for a protein smoothie.  Maybe it just digests more easily?  Who knows.  It gets me moving in the AM much more effectively than my preferred breakfast, eggs and toast.  

I can’t say what might be causing this in you, but if it is something in your diet by now you probably have some suspicions.  Try cutting something out that leaves you feeling bloated, or just not great, after eating it.  Maybe it will help.  Good luck.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 2

I don't mind a thousand answers,, I ask this group because we've all been talking together for so long I feel like I know a lot of you and trust your opinions. I have a suspicion a lack of water or electrolytes as maybe a part of my problem. I do play about 6 hours of pickleball a week outdoors and work up a good sweat (at least 3 times a week. If the weather holds, 4.), I only drink water when I'm playing, i never did like Gatorade.
I have a feeling maybe now as summer has progressed and my frequency of exercise has increased, maybe I'm not replacing it well enough.

I don't think I have any major health issues, just was wondering if there was maybe a common denominator with others and similar experiences.

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Thumb up 2

In addition to some of what has already been suggested, sleep quality, not just quantity, is a very big deal as we age. 

Matthew Walker has a very well regarded book called Why We Sleep on the topic and I’m sure you can get the condensed version online if you don’t want to read the whole book. And multiple people have interviewed him on their Podcasts, such as Dan Harris or Peter Attia

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/ten-percent-happier-with-dan-harris/id1087147821?i=1000461888705

https://peterattiamd.com/matthewwalker1/

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

In addition to some of what has already been suggested, sleep quality, not just quantity, is a very big deal as we age. 

Matthew Walker has a very well regarded book called Why We Sleep on the topic and I’m sure you can get the condensed version online if you don’t want to read the whole book. And multiple people have interviewed him on their Podcasts, such as Dan Harris or Peter Attia

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/ten-percent-happier-with-dan-harris/id1087147821?i=1000461888705

https://peterattiamd.com/matthewwalker1/

This, I was constantly tired until I discovered I had sleep apnea.

Obvious signs: snoring, waking up with dry mouth or drooling, waking up with minor headaches

Might be worth doing a sleep study.

A quick fix would be sleeping with your head elevated

• Thumb up 1

I second 5 Hour Energy, jus had to do a cost analysis given I was taking one or two a day, especially with back to back newborns.

So I'm trying this now, and so is my wife, it works enough:

Organic Vitamin B12 Liquid - Sublingual Extra Strength 60 x 5000 mcg Drops, Methylcobalamin, Natural Cherry Flavor, Vegan, Maximize Absorption and Energy https://a.co/d/dBTHUxd

At some point we jus have to accept we are all getting older and biding time until our bodies say enough is enough.  We have good diets and even though I'm not exercising as much as I used to, I noticed even pre-COVID when I was working out nearly everyday this trend towards this reality.

So I endorse whatever works best for anyone without being too hard on themselves in the context of this reality.

I know one thing I won't do to get 8 hours sleep, that's go to bed 8 hours before I need to get up 😅

1 hour ago, China said:

I hear your piss is full of electrolytes...

WillingBadAmazonparrot-size_restricted.gif

1 hour ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Obvious signs: snoring, waking up with dry mouth or drooling, waking up with minor headaches

Got same thing, bad enough I couldn't ignore it. 

Asked him if I lost weight what impact it would have and his eyes lit up saying "no one ever asks me that."

So there's that...somewhere Bill Maher is screaming "I told you so"...

• Thumb up 1

I have Lyme Disease. These are my go to things for energy.

Eleuthero Root (tincture) - 15 to 30 drops per day

Cordyceps (tincture) - 30 drops per day

NAC (pure encapsulations) - 900mg day

Vitamin D (Bio-D-Mulsion Forte by Biotics Research) - 3-6 drops per day

I get my herbal tinctures from Sage Woman Herbs out of Colorado. They are good and reasonably priced (the 4oz bottles have a dropper and will last you a while).  Please don’t buy super cheap ones or cheap supplements. Brands make a difference so I included them. 

Feel better soon. 😊

• Thumb up 1

7 hours ago, Bang said:

Kind of a broad topic title, but I'm looking for some advice.
What do you do for fatigue? Some background.. I am 59 in a month, I'm in fairly decent health. I'm a little overweight, but nothing extraordinary. I eat fairly well, don't eat a lot of fried food or sugars, red meat I like, but not often.  I like beer and wine, but again, not in extraordinary amounts. Not a caffeine drinker, but I do use 5 hour energy, usually once in the morning. I take a multi-vitamin and a supplement for my joints and another for my eyes. scale one way or another. 
I'm active, I play pickleball 2 to 4 times a week. I sleep rather well, although rarely without waking up once or twice in the night. Usually to roll off my shoulder or take a leak, but no trouble falling back asleep. No trouble waking up or getting out of bed in the morning, I'm an early-to-bed early-to-rise type.
But some days I am so fatigued it just feels like i have molasses in my veins. Not low energy, NO energy, like i took 3 Benadryl or something. Doesn't matter what I eat (Often I'll drink a glass of OJ or something to see if it helps, Sometimes it does.)
Does anyone recommend a decent supplement to give me a little more energy? I don't want my heart racing, Just to be alert and somewhat in the moment.

Thanks in advance, I always get great advice from our group.

~Bang

Did you get checked for low testosterone? They advertise it all the time around here…

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

I am 40ish.  When I was around 35 I was constantly tired around 3 pm... like "I need to pass out tired!" ... or "barely made it home without falling asleep driving" tired.  This was with full nights reat.  I snore and it was bad.  

Turns out I stop breathing some insane amount of time in my sleep.  Sleep study diagnosed this and my energy level is great while on CPAP.

• Like 1