Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Roullier or Young? Who is the better Chase?

Great question. I would say that right now it's Roullier, but Young has a higher ceiling.

Young plays a position that can be more immediately impactful and produce more highlight type plays so he'll get noticed more for just doing his job, whilst Roullier will only get noticed when he doesn't. (I'm talking being noticed by most fans, not us weirdos who like the fat boys and actually watch line-play).

• Like 5

At this very moment in time, Roullier. He's a borderline top 10 C.

Young even before he got hurt last year was pretty bad. But obviously his upside is through the roof and if I could only keep one long term I'd still take him over Roullier.

• Like 1

I. 2020 it was Young.  I’m 2021, it was a wash.  I’m 2022, it damn well better be Young. 

Rouiller is a good player. young has transcendent physical tools.  

If he’s not the better Chase, that’s a huge problem.  

his recovery is key.  He’s got to fully recover and then become one of the top ( edge rushers in football 

• Like 2

On 6/5/2022 at 3:37 PM, Voice_of_Reason said:

I. 2020 it was Young.  I’m 2021, it was a wash.  I’m 2022, it damn well better be Young. 

his recovery is key.  He’s got to fully recover and then become one of the top ( edge rushers in football 

Hey VOR, you might want to get that keyboard checked out. If it gets much worse we might need to run your posts through a Wingdings translator!  :nono:

So was that top 9 edge rusher, which is keyboard ( ? Wingdings says 5 though so I just wanted to clarify!

Edited by SkinsFTW
  • Haha 2

He won't be fully recovered until 2023, so Young deserves a pass regarding his potential.  All I ask for is for his effort to be unquestionable anymore, I'll be done if I think he believes "he's done enough".

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

He won't be fully recovered until 2023, so Young deserves a pass regarding his potential.  All I ask for is for his effort to be unquestionable anymore, I'll be done if I think he believes "he's done enough".

Eh, he should still be effective.

Bosa was last year one year removes from an ACL. 

Injuries are tough.  And I get coming back from an ACL is not a given.  

But I think he needs to be productive this year.  

I agree with you last comments about effort.

44 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Eh, he should still be effective.

Bosa was last year one year removes from an ACL. 

Injuries are tough.  And I get coming back from an ACL is not a given.  

But I think he needs to be productive this year.  

Define "productive" though?  More or less then 10 sacks?  I'm not really trying to defend Young because as I've stated earlier in the Chase Young welcome thread I am understandably pissed at him.

But if we already agree he's not on Bosa's level right now, why do him like that from an expectations standpoint going into 2022?  This is in context that given how late in the season he torn his knee up, I doubt Young will be ready by week 1 meaning he's not even gonna play a full season.

Frustration that hes not living up to the hype is fair.  Asking him to make up for it in his third year after tearing up his knee (not saying you are) is not.  He had 7.5 sacks his rookie year, he does that in 2022, I'm good, then we see if he can even break 10 in 2023.  If he can't, I won't expect him ever to, and people can call that what they want from the #2 overall pick in the draft.

44 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I agree with you last comments about effort.

I can dig it.

9 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

But if we already agree he's not on Bosa's level right now, why do him like that from an expectations standpoint going into 2022? 

So I expect him to be on Bosa’s level.  He was close in 2020.   He had a huge setback season last year because of the grey matter between his ears.

But that doesn’t change my expectation of him.  He needs to be at that level and that’s what my expectation of him is.  

• Thumb up 1

Right now, it's Roullier -- he tried to maximize his potential and so far has trended upward to be well-regarded at his position.  Young has huge potential, and based on his 2020 season, established a very high floor.  But  before his injury, Young really didn't show much new in 2021 -- almost 'plateau'-ing with his technique, anticipation, etc.  Meanwhile opponents had a year to study Young's 2020 arsenal of moves and techniques he relied on to get to the QB ... So Young's 2021 sack rate per game went down, even when being 'single-teamed'.

For 2022 -- we'll have to see how well both Chase's have recovered from their injuries, but Young is going to need to have used his off-season time to have learned a wider variety of moves and techniques to effectively pressure the QB, while making sure he still can be relied on to contain his edge.  I've been watching replays of other quality DEs with less potential than Young, but who did a much better job in those areas as well as sacks.

Edited by Wyvern

On 6/13/2022 at 9:43 AM, Voice_of_Reason said:

So I expect him to be on Bosa’s level.  He was close in 2020.   He had a huge setback season last year because of the grey matter between his ears.

But that doesn’t change my expectation of him.  He needs to be at that level and that’s what my expectation of him is.  

The worst part in all of this is Young is going to have a legit built-in excuse for not reaching another level this year (should he not take that next step), which is enormously frustrating.  He was really bad last year before the injury.  Didn't even bother to work on new moves, just did the same thing again and again.  I blame our coaches for that even more than Chase, who is just a young kid who found out he needs to add moves to his set.  I can understand that.  It's about learning.  All athletes have to go through that.  Even though I'm not a big fan of Chase Young, I'm certainly not going to penalize him for being young and inexperienced.  His coaches, however, failed him miserably and fixed absolutely nothing about his game last year.  That's highly concerning to me.

What Chase needs to understand and be ready for (and perhaps he already is on this wavelength) is the pressure and microscope he's going to be under going into the 2023 season.  It's going to be put-up or shut-up time for that kid (should he not take off this year).  If he doesn't become a truly elite player that season, all heck is going to break loose.  

Kid's working hard, seems to care and seems to understand that he can't get by on just his athletic prowess at this level.  From Ron's account, Chase is doing what's asked of him and is not failing his coaches from the prep and attitude standpoint.  Now Chase's coaches need to show the same dedication towards him.  

On 6/13/2022 at 9:43 AM, Voice_of_Reason said:

Both Bosa Brothers had more sacks their rookie year then Young did, hell, one of them only played 12 games and still had over 10 sacks.

He's not on their level, he was supposed to be, but he's not.  I feel like the only way to keep myself from getting anymore angry about it then I am is to move to the acceptance stage of grief now.

You don't have to prolong this and act suprised this December, we all have a choice here.

He can still be good jus not on their level.  I'll accept Young being a ten sack a year guy at this point, any less he has to go.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb down 1

On 6/15/2022 at 10:56 PM, Renegade7 said:

Both Bosa Brothers had more sacks their rookie year then Young did, hell, one of them only played 12 games and still had over 10 sacks.

He's not on their level, he was supposed to be, but he's not.  I feel like the only way to keep myself from getting anymore angry about it then I am is to move to the acceptance stage of grief now.

You don't have to prolong this and act suprised this December, we all have a choice here.

He can still be good jus not on their level.  I'll accept Young being a ten sack a year guy at this point, any less he has to go.

Kinda agree here. Young's having great help from inside DL too and didn't get much out of it still.

As of now, the better Chase is definately Roullier as you rarely hear his name during games and the guy is commanding the OL as requested.

We're all gonna agree that the C position is set while Young's performance last year was a huge disappointment.

So, yeah, Roullier's the better Chase, and that's a problem.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2022 at 4:56 PM, Renegade7 said:

I agree, unfortunately. I wish he were on the Bosa level. Hell I wish he were on the TJ Watt level. That'd be fantastic! Or Aaron Donald ( granted they play different positions ) However isn't that the type of beast you want and deserve with a #2 pick??? Right now, I don't even know if Chase Young is better than Montez Sweat and that's very sad and disappointing.

• Like 1