Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Roullier or Young? Who is the better Chase?

On 6/25/2022 at 12:22 PM, Riggo-toni said:

Chase Young is not a Bosa; more likely he will be Orakpo level... Let's just hope he won't end up an overhyped disappointment like the last time we took a defensive guy @ #2 overall.

If he recovers from his ACL, he could be better than the Bosas.

He had a really good rookie season.  He had a sophomore slump.  

He has the talent to be spectacular.  If he recovers from the knee injury and gets his head screwed on right.  He's every bit of the athlete of the Bosas, if not better.  There's no reason he can't be at that level, except for the grey matter between his ears.  

Maybe a 22 year old kid got full of himself and needed a bit of a return to reality.  That wouldn't be the first or last time that happened.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

If he recovers from his ACL, he could be better than the Bosas.

He had a really good rookie season.  He had a sophomore slump.  

He has the talent to be spectacular.  If he recovers from the knee injury and gets his head screwed on right.  He's every bit of the athlete of the Bosas, if not better.  There's no reason he can't be at that level, except for the grey matter between his ears.  

Maybe a 22 year old kid got full of himself and needed a bit of a return to reality.  That wouldn't be the first or last time that happened.  

You can listen to him and hear the immaturity, "ya know". Needs to grow up, shut up, and make plays.

Shouldn't hit the field until he's 100%. No excuses allowed or they'll be shooting themselves in the ass and have to exercise his fifth year option on a guy with potential.
Big year for Young.

• Thumb up 1

On 6/25/2022 at 11:22 PM, Riggo-toni said:

Chase Young is not a Bosa; more likely he will be Orakpo level... Let's just hope he won't end up an overhyped disappointment like the last time we took a defensive guy @ #2 overall.

Looks a like Nick Bosa. 7.5-9 sacks 1st year. Tears ACL 2nd year. 3rd year...we'll see. Better grow up and make some plays.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TheShredder said:

You can listen to him and hear the immaturity, "ya know". Needs to grow up, shut up, and make plays.

Shouldn't hit the field until he's 100%. No excuses allowed or they'll be shooting themselves in the ass and have to exercise his fifth year option on a guy with potential.
Big year for Young.

I doubt he's 100% until 2023.  But he needs to approximate it in 2022 at some point.  I personally think if he's not going to be productive, they should put him on PUP to start training camp and not take him off until week 4.  

But who knows.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I doubt he's 100% until 2023.  But he needs to approximate it in 2022 at some point.  I personally think if he's not going to be productive, they should put him on PUP to start training camp and not take him off until week 4.  

But who knows.

Even from a medical perspective there's no one size fits all with freak athletes being an added abnormality. Anything could happen, however, not wearing a knee brace at OTAs, walking around, gives me the sense that he's at least psychologically willing himself back to normal. That's 50% of rehab, trusting your repaired part. Who knows, maybe he is on the field week 1.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Isn't that the case with every athletic freak that jus can't get right? :unsure:

Eh, kindof.  I wasn’t talking about Intelligence or processing speed though.  There are some freak athletes that just don’t have the mental side of the game.  

And some that have awful technique.

Im talking about things like maturity, work ethic, drive, that kind of stuff.

I think Chase as all the tools, including mental tools.  He’s just got to figure it out on the maturity side.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Eh, kindof.  I wasn’t talking about Intelligence or processing speed though.  There are some freak athletes that just don’t have the mental side of the game.  

And some that have awful technique.

Im talking about things like maturity, work ethic, drive, that kind of stuff.

I think Chase as all the tools, including mental tools.  He’s just got to figure it out on the maturity side.  

I hear yea, but I've seen that end enough careers to not take it lightly (not saying you are, jus saying that's enough and doesn't need anything else).

It's not fixable with coaching, either player gets it or they don't, there's nothing we can do to save him from himself, which is a bad position to be it when it comes to developing a prospect into anything more then what they are.

Unpopular opinion ahead.

I just don’t see anything special:elite in his game. I remember hearing his first step is elite (speed)…. but I just don’t see him getting around linemen untouched. I don’t see elite pass rushing skills…. hand techniques, double moves and set ups. I don’t see elite bend. He’s not a technician or strategist. It’s like he relies only on his athleticism.

In his rookie season…. I saw a guy who was opportunistic and made a couple of game changing plays…. sometimes of the right place right time variety. Unblocked sacks, etc. But there was no consistency or dominance. No signature game.

And last year he was an abomination. 

He’s thick-bodied. He looks slow. He doesn’t win a lot of one-on-one battles. He gets blocked and chipping TEs and RBs. At best he holds the point of attack.

I think he’s a better run defender at this point than pass rusher. And that’s not good enough.

So far he’s all hype.

And I don’t expect this year to be his coming out party either coming off the ACL.

I wish I could say I was disappointed…. but I don’t expect anything else from this franchise.

Ive already written the kid off. 

He seems like a good person though… so there’s that.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Unpopular opinion ahead.

I just don’t see anything special:elite in his game. I remember hearing his first step is elite (speed)…. but I just don’t see him getting around linemen untouched. I don’t see elite pass rushing skills…. hand techniques, double moves and set ups. I don’t see elite bend. He’s not a technician or strategist. It’s like he relies only on his athleticism.

In his rookie season…. I saw a guy who was opportunistic and made a couple of game changing plays…. sometimes of the right place right time variety. Unblocked sacks, etc. But there was no consistency or dominance. No signature game.

He’s thick-bodied. He looks slow. He doesn’t win a lot of one-on-one battles. He gets blocked and chipping TEs and RBs. At best he holds the point of attack.

I think he’s a better run defender at this point than pass rusher. And that’s not good enough.

So far he’s all hype.

And I don’t expect this year to be his coming out party either coming off the ACL.

I wish I could say I was disappointed…. but I don’t expect anything else from this franchise.

I agree with a lot of what you said but to write the kid off at age 23 is silly. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I agree with a lot of what you said but to write the kid off at age 23 is silly. 

Im sure he’ll have a long career based on his draft status alone. It just won’t be very productive. There’s no tools in the tool box. 

He’s not even a high-motor relentless pursuit guy. 

Edited by Die Hard
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Die Hard said:

Unpopular opinion ahead.

So far he’s all hype.

If athleticism is his strong suit then the ACL could be a huge issue. If he does not come back from the injury at the level he was as a rookie then he is really going to have to work hard on technique etc to compensate. I really hope he comes back 100% but for a guy that has relied on his athleticism thus far; I'm worried he will never reach the level many of us thought he was capable of.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

5 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

This isn't 1985. ACL tears aren't a death knell. 

No one has said he’s going to retire. 

The issue will be if he gets a 2nd contract from this team. 

He lost his 2nd season.

It’s looking like he’s going to miss a lot of camp and be on the PUP list to start his 3rd season. And expectations have been tempered coming off injury.

Unless he surprises this year…. there’s a BIG question mark going into year 4.

On 7/6/2022 at 6:33 AM, Die Hard said:

Im sure he’ll have a long career based on his draft status alone. It just won’t be very productive. There’s no tools in the tool box. 

He’s not even a high-motor relentless pursuit guy. 

Watching him chasing someone always reminds me of a big dog when you put socks on the paws!

giphy.gif

• Haha 2