Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The All Things 2022 OTAs/Training Camp Thread

Forever A Redskin

3 minutes ago, wit33 said:

The Titans have 6 consecutive winning seasons, 4 playoff appearances, and 1 conference title loss. This isn’t no man’s land. They’re doing the damn thing without an elite QB, this should be respected. 

Good job to them. Some wining seasons and a bunch of playoff losses that will do nothing long term. Within a year they'll be back to rebuilding again unless they decide to give a 29 year old RB a huge long term extension after next season.

That's my point. It's not a viable long term strategy and if you lose your RB (which is way more likely than losing your QB given the nature of the positions) then you're toast. If I were them I'd trade Henry for a 1st and then focus on stockpiling draft picks and either building around Willis if they think he'll be great or looking for an elite franchise QB prospect to draft.

All this talk about who’s making the cut when we haven’t even played our first preseason game?  I get it … it’s fun to speculate but can we cool it till week 3 of preseason?  

After Tre Walker abruptly retiring, the injury to Drew White, and David Mayo playing with the ones instead of Jamin, I’m really worried about our linebacker crew. God forbid if Holcomb were to get injured. 

I know we were not one of the teams Barr was interested in but sure wish we made a push for him. 

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Good job to them. Some wining seasons and a bunch of playoff losses that will do nothing long term. Within a year they'll be back to rebuilding again unless they decide to give a 29 year old RB a huge long term extension after next season.

Don’t know enough about the entirety of their roster to say if they’ll be in rebuild mode next season or not. Maybe. 

6-3 without Henry last season. Henry has only been a freak in two seasons with Titans. I agree it seems their ceiling potential (winning in the playoffs) is on the back of Henry for the most part. As far as winning in the season, the Titans are much bigger than Henry— legit run organization it seems 

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

That's my point. It's not a viable long term strategy and if you lose your RB (which is way more likely than losing your QB given the nature of the positions) then you're toast. If I were them I'd trade Henry for a 1st and then focus on stockpiling draft picks and either building around Willis if they think he'll be great or looking for an elite franchise QB prospect to draft.

What are you defining as long term? 6 seasons is an eternity in the NFL (in my opinion). 

Your scenario is based off of hope and hypotheticals, the Titans model has provided winning football for 6 seasons. Nothing elite, I’ll give you that but competitive in the hunt football with a few playoff wins.

If the argument is having Patrick Mahomes, Burrow, or Josh Allen on rookie deals while being elite, no disagreement on my end.

Maybe a middle ground we can agree on is if you go with the Titans model, don’t overpay the above average QB so you can continue to hunt for an elite or solid QB on a rookie deal. 

6 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I dont know that anyone is high on him. Except TS who made the post starting the Sims talk. I think we're all in agreement that hes tall and makes clutch catches, but drops the easy stuff and refuses to make attempts running decent routes. Hes a "good" WR5 and that's it.

Which is important on a team with nothing but questions after WR1.

I think this talk has gone off the deep end. First we're comparing Sims to Grant who should have never made a roster. Now we're saying he's not as good as backup TEs?

1 thing is that these young TEs have potential. But what kind of potential? There's a reason they weren't drafted, because they've never played the position. We don't know how well they know route concepts or leverage or playing special teams or blocking. They're fringe players right now. Sims may be too but one thing we know is that he can play. Maybe his best is being a sub par #2 but he played that role and we won with him. He had some drops and some mistakes too but he's played that role, and beat Diggs deep for a TD. 

Second thing is people are taking that they're just big WRs, but they're not. They're playing TE. They're not practicing routes and responsibilities of a WR. So if a defense sees them on the field, they're getting played like a TE, and the young rookies who've never played TE or WR in this league probably don't know enough to play both positions. Again, we're talking about fringe TE players, not first round picks. 

The third thing is that Because these players are making a switch to TE, they have a lot to prove that they can play the position. And because we have 4 guys competing for that #4 spot, it shows that we can afford to let one or more of them go on our PS because they're not all going away and if they do, there are probably a dozen more of them because that's what teams do with big WRs. Just like people say there are so many Sims across the league, there are a bunch of athletic TEs who can't catch or can't run routes or can't block or all of the above. Heck, we had one 2 years ago who I loved then we cut him and the chargers picked him up. 

None of this is to say that Sims is a world beater because I don't think that's the case. But we've developed him and I'd like to see where it takes us. I doubt he plays over Samuel or Brown but I think he's more reliable than both. But so it's Mline. I think it's a pointless conversation because I don't see Samuel being active most games and Brown is a one trick pony. So I saw Sims as the default #3 right now, and chances are that he'll finish with the third most recieving yards among WRs. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I think this talk has gone off the deep end. First we're comparing Sims to Grant who should have never made a roster. Now we're saying he's not as good as backup TEs?

1 thing is that these young TEs have potential. But what kind of potential? There's a reason they weren't drafted, because they've never played the position. We don't know how well they know route concepts or leverage or playing special teams or blocking. They're fringe players right now. Sims may be too but one thing we know is that he can play. Maybe his best is being a sub par #2 but he played that role and we won with him. He had some drops and some mistakes too but he's played that role, and beat Diggs deep for a TD. 

Second thing is people are taking that they're just big WRs, but they're not. They're playing TE. They're not practicing routes and responsibilities of a WR. So if a defense sees them on the field, they're getting played like a TE, and the young rookies who've never played TE or WR in this league probably don't know enough to play both positions. Again, we're talking about fringe TE players, not first round picks. 

The third thing is that Because these players are making a switch to TE, they have a lot to prove that they can play the position. And because we have 4 guys competing for that #4 spot, it shows that we can afford to let one or more of them go on our PS because they're not all going away and if they do, there are probably a dozen more of them because that's what teams do with big WRs. Just like people say there are so many Sims across the league, there are a bunch of athletic TEs who can't catch or can't run routes or can't block or all of the above. Heck, we had one 2 years ago who I loved then we cut him and the chargers picked him up. 

None of this is to say that Sims is a world beater because I don't think that's the case. But we've developed him and I'd like to see where it takes us. I doubt he plays over Samuel or Brown but I think he's more reliable than both. But so it's Mline. I think it's a pointless conversation because I don't see Samuel being active most games and Brown is a one trick pony. So I saw Sims as the default #3 right now, and chances are that he'll finish with the third most recieving yards among WRs. 

Ron seems to place immense value on quality depth and it’s not lip service like other head coaches who’ve come through here. Sims represents solid veteran level depth for all WR positions. I imagine he’s a good dude and worker for the team to continue to keep him around. He’s a big dude who can get up and go good for his size. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Yeah that is important to keep in mind.

Our TE core is not some high investment unit that teams were falling over themselves to acquire were you can ink them in for significant usage. Lets see them in some preseason games not getting bowled over trying to block somebody, or even running routes before we can confidently say they are in place to unseat a veteran we went out of our way to bring back.

I don't even like Cam, but as long as our TE unit is all potential... that's exactly what they are.

Gotta convert that to actuality a bit before they can truly threaten Cam.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

For the most part, that's the exact argument that I've been making, so completely agree with you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skinsfan93 said:

All this talk about who’s making the cut when we haven’t even played our first preseason game?  I get it … it’s fun to speculate but can we cool it till week 3 of preseason?  

After Tre Walker abruptly retiring, the injury to Drew White, and David Mayo playing with the ones instead of Jamin, I’m really worried about our linebacker crew. God forbid if Holcomb were to get injured. 

Been discussing this since the draft.
Jamin Davis is a draft bust if there's ever been one. How do two ex-NFL LB'ers become a HC & DC for the same franchise and reach up to #19 to draft the worst LB'er in the NFL (yes, Davis was last)? Then neglect to address being the worst 3rd down defense in NFL history!  JDR should have been fired after the last game for incompetent performance.

It's like they're trying to sabotage their own defense.

• Like 1

ASHBURN — One yard separated Washington's offense from six points. That one yard proved difficult to pick up, though.

In a goal line portion of Friday morning's training camp practice, both Carson Wentz and Taylor Heinicke took turns trying to guide their unit into the end zone, but on the first seven snaps, they couldn't do it.

With Wentz in charge, Casey Toohill flew off the edge to nab Antonio Gibson for a sizable loss on first down. Then, Jamin Davis corralled Brian Robinson Jr. on another run and snugly covered a tight end to force a throwaway. And on fourth, Wentz and Gibson had a bad exchange, which led to a fumble, which Toohill recovered.

On Heinicke's turn, meanwhile, Christian Holmes pushed Cam Sims out of bounds before Sims could get his feet down on a fade. From there, Robinson Jr. was dropped again, and on third down, Heinicke had to chuck one out of bounds. Finally, on fourth, Jonathan Williams dove across for a much-needed touchdown.

That was for sure the most high-energy part of Friday's action, even if it wasn't the most encouraging for the offense. Should there be a rematch in the near future, they'll certainly want to execute better. This time, it was the defense who celebrated their work. 

Now, here are additional notes for you to digest...

• The Curtis Samuel Practice Tracker, unfortunately, is back down to zero. Samuel was completely involved on Wednesday from start to finish, yet on Friday, he was back to the side field. Rivera said there'd be ebbs and flows with Samuel so this isn't a surprise, but it's still worth mentioning. Dyami Brown and Saahdiq Charles were also non-participants. Cole Turner, meanwhile, came up lame during an offense-versus-air passing drill and then got his leg a bit twisted up in the ensuing 11-on-11 phrase. Following those nicks, he was sent to the trainer's tent and did not return. Ron Rivera labeled it a hamstring issue. 
  • Offensive line coach John Matsko demands excellence from his players at all times, including when they're acting as stand-in defenders during walkthrough-like situations. One of the younger linemen was a little late to his temporary duties as a linebacker, which angered Matsko greatly. "You're always on defense," Matsko said. "You're not a starter!" While it might sound harsh, that's precisely what makes Matsko such a top-notch coach. His guys have to be on at all times.
  • Percy Butler had a hell of a run stop on Jaret Patterson, who clearly isn't the biggest running back but does pack a punch. nonetheless. Butler met him in the hole and stood him up with authority, then held on to him until reinforcements arrived. Butler is a speedy safety who should thrive in space, but on that sequence, he was stout in traffic.
  • Building off of that Butler note, Friday had the most hitting of the padded practices by far. Like, there were instances where guys collided... and then they wrestled around... and then they hit the ground! It was fairly exciting and as much physicality as you'll see in August in a non-game.
  • As touched on in the intro, Davis had his most noticeable session of the summer. He popped against both the run and the pass and was playing with a little more energy overall. Now, David Mayo is still taking his spot in a handful of packages, which is disappointing, but hopefully Friday can represent some kind of turning point.
  • If you come out to camp, you're going to hear the words, "Let's go D-Fo!" on a regular basis. That's because Darrick Forrest is routinely in the right spot, much to the pleasure of defensive backs coach Chris Harris. In a ranking of the 10 Commanders who are standing out above everyone else, Forrest is definitely featured.
  • Chase Young was quite vocal on the sidelines, at times imploring Montez Sweat to fire off the edge. Young has also been steadfast in signing autographs for the fans who make it to the facility each day. Players like him, Terry McLaurin and Wentz are in high demand, and so far, they've been generous with their signing. 
  • Like 6

26 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

• Chase Young was quite vocal on the sidelines, at times imploring Montez Sweat to fire off the edge. Young has also been steadfast in signing autographs for the fans who make it to the facility each day. Players like him, Terry McLaurin and Wentz are in high demand, and so far, they've been generous with their signing. 

Chase Young sure was vocal today.  i love the fact that him, Terry, Cosmi, and Curtis went straight to the fans to sign autographs after practice!  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, TheShredder said:

Jamin Davis is a draft bust if there's ever been one. How do two ex-NFL LB'ers become a HC & DC for the same franchise and reach up to #19 to draft the worst LB'er in the NFL (yes, Davis was last)?

https://www.si.com/nfl/commanders/news/washington-training-camp-notebook-preseason-tight-end-cole-turner-linebacker-david-mayo-running-back-antonio-gibson-fumbles

David Mayo was noticeably present during some of the first team work on Day 9, into the formation where Jamin Davis would normally fill the second linebacker role next to Cole Holcomb. 

29 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Listened to Logan Paulsen on Wentz today on the radio, he's getting concerned about how Wentz has looked practice.  Fortier said it wasn't a good day for Wentz.  lol, hopefully its just Wentz isn't a good practice player.  Still early too in camp. 

I have my doubts about Wentz. As long he continues to develop some chemistry with his WRs and bring his B+ or A- game on Sept. 11 then I am good. He has to beat the Jags. I know it will be a team effort but that game, I think, might set the tone to the season's kickoff. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Listened to Logan Paulsen on Wentz today on the radio, he's getting concerned about how Wentz has looked practice.  Fortier said it wasn't a good day for Wentz.  lol, hopefully its just Wentz isn't a good practice player.  Still early too in camp. 

Yeah, though I think there is some question as to what they are trying to do.  I do think this is a real "feeling out" period for Ron and Scott Turner with Wentz.  They're probably throwing the kitchen sink at him, and they are deciding what they want to really include in the offense, and what they don't.

Ron actually said that early on, they knew what parts of the offense he did really well, and I assume this was the quick game and deep shots, and what he didn't.  But they were going to confirm it in practice and then go from there.  I'm not sure when he said it, I think it was one of the early pressers after the Wentz trade.

So it is possible what we're seeing now, early in camp, is a feeling out period.  Also a period where Wentz is getting his feet wet in a new offense, new language, new players, etc.  And in 5 weeks, things will look very different, especially after they start game planning and getting favorable matchups, and things like that.

The other option is he has the yips and this is what he is now.  In which case, we bought damaged goods and that's going to be very unfortunate.

• Like 1

Weak LB'ers and not many left in the roster or wire, brilliant work on display in DC.

TE's are dropping like flies for a new QB who's #1 favorite option is _____ (fill in the blank).

Muscle strains are tears. It's just a less threatening way to say the same thing. The strain/tear is graded on severity however, certain muscle groups require different treatment before an athlete can safely play. All take weeks to heal and weeks to safely rehab.

Commanders are in trouble from roster neglect and lack of depth.

1 hour ago, skinsfan93 said:

David Mayo was noticeably present during some of the first team work on Day 9, into the formation where Jamin Davis would normally fill the second linebacker role next to Cole Holcomb. 

Mayo has been starting over Davis 50% of the time since midway last year. Shouldn't be surprising for anyone unless they're still in denial about wasting a 1st round pick.

On 8/4/2022 at 8:15 AM, samy316 said:

Because with this team, that probably will be what ends up happening.  This team’s motto should be “what can go wrong, will go wrong”.

I’m not a betting man, but if I were, I’d wager money that Samuel will be on an exercise bike on the sideline more than he will actually be on the field this year.

How bout you have a cup of st-u and stop jinxing us, or become a fan of one of our rivals..........

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

How bout you have a cup of st-u and stop jinxing us, or become a fan of one of our rivals..........

Gotta love the diehard fans, they can watch a movie countless times but still feel so passionate about someone spoiling the story during the opening credits.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Thumb down 1

1 hour ago, NickyJ said:

Gotta love the diehard fans, they can watch a movie countless times but still feel so passionate about someone spoiling the story during the opening credits.

Predicting a losing season is one thing. Saying that a player (who is currently healthy) is going to be injured all year is bad mojo and is a jinx........Curtis Samuel isnt Desean Jackson, he hasn't had a injury plagued career. He can easily bounce back this season. 

Edited by LetMeSeeYourWarFace21

45 minutes ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

Predicting a losing season is one thing. Saying that a player (who is currently healthy) is going to be injured all year is bad mojo and is a jinx........Curtis Samuel isnt Desean Jackson, he hasn't had a injury plagued career. He can easily bounce back this season. 

The difference between Curtis Samuel and DeSean Jackson is that DeSean had a long storied career who was among the best in the league at his position. Curtis Samuels has two years of pretty good production and athleticism to make people hope he'll step up to another level. DeSean's and Curtis's careers were in different zip codes when they got here.

And no, mojo and jinxes do not exist. If mojo existed, RG3 wouldn't have sucked vacuum cleaner hoses after so many fans bought him wedding gifts.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

I have a feeling it’s going to be a rollercoaster with Wentz. It’s going to

be an up and down season. One game he’ll look like a hall of famer, the next an all time bust. Probably means an 8-9/9-8 finish.

Seems about right... Purgatory here we come! Not enough wins to make the playoffs but enough wins to keep us out of the top 15 in the draft lol. The worst thing about Rivera is he just seems like the kind of guy to throw the kitchen sink at our opponent week 18 if we're already eliminated desperately trying to win a meaningless game to drop us 4 spots in the draft lol

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

Listen, I don’t know how old you are, so I’ll cut you some slack.  When you’ve watched this team for the entirety of Dan Snyder’s ownership, you start to notice certain patterns.  I’m not saying this because I want to be a dick, or to prove that I’m always right, I’m just going by 23 years of data and patterns.  I’d love to be wrong, but sadly, I won’t be.  Until I see it, I won’t believe it.  It’s as simple as that.

• Like 4