Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The All Things 2022 OTAs/Training Camp Thread

Forever A Redskin

4 hours ago, NewCliche21 said:

I mean I get you, it just seems like people who know what they're looking at (not a slight on you, I don't know WTF to look for) are saying it's a jump in the right direction.

I literally have no reason other than trusting those guys to not agree with you, I just desperately want to be wrong.

I dont trust the guys that are responsible for him being here to be honest if we wasn't getting it.  Especially since they dont have a choice but to play him.  Not like they brought in any LBs that can replace him.  

But positive reinforcement is a thing, and I think that's what we're seeing.  Killing his confidence publicly does nothing for anyone. 

But their praise seems rather muted.  Cuz contrast what they say about Davis with how folks are effusive about how Dotson is doing.  That's how they talk when somebody is impressing. 

• Like 1

Up until 11th grade, Butler was a multisport athlete, starring on the football field, the track and the baseball diamond. He technically played shortstop and center field for the Green Devils baseball team, but he humbly admits he played “the whole outfield.”

So it shouldn’t surprise, then, that some analysts, like Chris Simms, viewed Butler as the best “pure safety” in the 2022 draft class, with a long range in center field, a rare speed and an eagerness to hit.

Butler’s ability to play safety and the nickel in subpackages drew Washington to the 22-year-old. And so far in training camp, he’s proven a standout in more ways than one.

During the first weeks, Butler was all over the field, deflecting and intercepting passes. His teammates, including the receivers who went against him, lauded him as a young player who has impressed.

“I want to prove that I can come in and learn, and I can play,” Butler said. “A lot of people were talking about special teams coming in. I can do everything at a high level.”

Defensive backs coach Chris Harris describes Butler as “football smart,” with the savvy to fully understand the game and be able to pick up the scheme quickly. He noted Butler’s speed (he ran a 4.36-second 40-yard dash at the NFL combine) and physicality, two traits the Commanders seek in their defense.

“Especially from the safety role and our back end, [we want] guys that can come up, guys that can cover, guys that can run,” Harris added. “The traditional safety, like myself when I was playing, those days are gone and out the window. And so guys got to be able to run. You got to be able to match. You may not be able to cover all wide receivers, but you need to be able to match up and cover some receivers in the slot, and that makes you a little bit more versatile. And so he has those traits that we like in our safety spot.”

Butler also has the experience on special teams that the Commanders, like many NFL teams, covet. Special teams has often been a path onto 53-man rosters for younger players, especially those in crowded positions. Those like Hall of Fame running back Terrell Davis. Those like Super Bowl-winning cornerback Chris Harris Jr. And those like Mitchell, who was a fifth-round pick in 1990 — and a quarterback, no less — out of Louisiana.

Mitchell finished his career with at least 20 NFL records and is second all-time in yards gained, behind Jerry Rice.

His success, and the hometown connection, has fueled Butler even more.

“It definitely just made me want to go harder to put more history into it for Plaquemine,” Butler said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/08/03/percy-butler-brian-mitchell/

• Like 8
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

It's become a regular occurrence for Carson Wentz to look fifth-round pick Cole Turner’s way when drills are near the red zone.

That's because the tight end normally finds a way to make catches in the end zone.

Turner (6-foot-6) told reporters after practice that he's done a good job of cutting down on mental mistakes so far during the Washington Commanders' training camp. It's shown up on the field, too, as he's flashed at several points throughout the first seven practices.

It helps that Turner has been spending a lot of extra time with Wentz to get in sync.

"He talks to me a lot about stuff outside of football," Turner said. "So I think we've kind of built a little bit of a chemistry off the field, and it's translated on the field."

Wentz remembers every single play, Turner said, and he will discuss it with his teammates on the sideline. He provides tips on how he would like the route to be run by the pass-catcher, which has been helpful as Turner learns the offense.

It's not all about football, though. There was a moment today where Wentz and Turner were chatting on the sideline. Turner doesn't remember what the exchange was, but he's sure it was something funny.

"He's a jokester, so it's good to be around him," Turner said with a laugh.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I'm not so sure about that.  I heard that also, and I get his point, but I think he's actually the 4th WR: McLaurin, Samuel, Dotson, Brown.  Finlay thinks they would activate Cam Sims over Brown.  I don't.  He said because they want size.  I say they have 3 TEs to provide size.  And every off-season, people talk up Cam Sims then he does nothing.  So, I think Brown is active over Sims, if it's between the two of them.  I think they would take speed over size at WR, and have size at TE.  Just a hunch.

I would think Sims would be active on game day for special teams purposes. But wouldn't you want 5 active WRs anyway? The question is who else would jump Brown? I'm not sure who the 6th WR will even be. I suppose Milne has the best shot.

22 minutes ago, Jericho said:

I would think Sims would be active on game day for special teams purposes. But wouldn't you want 5 active WRs anyway? The question is who else would jump Brown? I'm not sure who the 6th WR will even be. I suppose Milne has the best shot.

McLaurin, Dotson, Samuel are locks.  

One of the WRs is probably the returner.  JP has said Alex Erickson seems to be getting the majority of the returns, but it could be Milne also.  That’s 4.

I think Brown is 5, and if they keep a 6th active it would be Sims.  

If Brown could return punts/kicks, that would be helpful, but I haven’t heard them having him do that….

2 hours ago, Jericho said:

I think Brown will be inactive.    They'll go with Sims and either Erickson or Milne.  

• Thumb up 1

13 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

So what would you expect him to say? Ron's not going to say anything negative about any of his players regardless of what he truly thinks. We have recent examples.

The point is there is no proof Rivera feels any negativity towards Samuels.

It's all in fan's heads.

People are not happy with the schedule set up for Samuels and they start making things up about it:

'He's lazy'

'He's a loafer'

'He's injury prone'

He's a bust'

Then they try to project their feelings onto Coach Rivera, saying that's how he really feels about Samuels, he just isn't saying so publicly.

It's all so silly and contrived.

Edited by SkinsGuy
  • Like 8
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

I say Samuel is in and out if the lineup all season with various injuries. He only play in about half the games.  I see him being cit

That's pretty impressive there miss cleo, but what's the point of making negative guesses on something nobody could possibly know at this point?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, redskinss said:

That's pretty impressive there miss cleo, but what's the point of making negative guesses on something nobody could possibly know at this point?

Because with this team, that probably will be what ends up happening.  This team’s motto should be “what can go wrong, will go wrong”.

I’m not a betting man, but if I were, I’d wager money that Samuel will be on an exercise bike on the sideline more than he will actually be on the field this year.

• Thumb down 1

4 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

The point is there is no proof Rivera feels any negativity towards Samuels

Who said Ron had negative feeling towards Curtis? I didn't, I said Jason Bishop made a comment about what he heard coming out of camp but they don't disclose their sources and I doubt the source is Ron.

We'll see what happens and revisit this at a later date.

Weird, I usually just read the tweet and move on, but the team waiving Drew White and signing DB Bausby raised some questions for me.

Do they actually like their young linebackers (2 rookies, 2 2nd year guys and Hudson)?

Do they have concerns about their DB depth?

In terms of Bausby coming from the Washington Generals - is it easier to scout/sign a guy already in the area?

1 minute ago, skinny21 said:

Weird, I usually just read the tweet and move on, but the team waiving Drew White and signing DB Bausby raised some questions for me.

Do they actually like their young linebackers (2 rookies, 2 2nd year guys and Hudson)?

Do they have concerns about their DB depth?

In terms of Bausby coming from the Washington Generals - is it easier to scout/sign a guy already in the area?

I think we will put White on IR and Bausby is just fodder that's already around. 

1 minute ago, Dan T. said:

This is pretty cool looking:

That's mr shadows something something I think. I forget his exact screen name. I always this marshmallows but I know that's not it.

4 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

He's an Extremeskins guy?

MrShadow whatever is, but he just posted that from a guy he met in the twittersphere I believe.

16 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think we will put White on IR and Bausby is just fodder that's already around. 

That's mr shadows something something I think. I forget his exact screen name. I always this marshmallows but I know that's not it.

Agreed, just surprised me a bit that we lost a backer and signed a db (rather than another backer).  Still time to add one of course.

Keim's podcast but more so from Keim's appearnce just now on 106.7

A. Cole Turner has looked really good, and is improving as a blocker

B. Hodges and Rogers also looked good at TE.  He's intrigued by the talent at TE.

C.  Corners look really good, Fuller, Jackson, St. Juste and Holmes.  Holmes looks like a find.

D.  McKissic looks spry in camp, looks good

E.  Jamin been OK, not great, not bad.  Holcomb looks active-good

F.  Worried about depth at DE not sure anyone is stepping up enough on that front

G. Thinks they bring a veteran LB for depth, likley someone who knows this defense

H.  Wentz's inconsistency evident, better recently.  Quick game has Wentz as his best

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim's podcast but more so from Keim's appearnce just now on 106.7

A. Cole Turner has looked really good, and is improving as a blocker

B. Hodges and Rogers also looked good at TE.  He's intrigued by the talent at TE.

C.  Corners look really good, Fuller, Jackson, St. Juste and Holmes.  Holmes looks like a find.

D.  McKissic looks spry in camp, looks good

E.  Jamin been OK, not great, not bad.  Holcomb looks active-good

F.  Worried about depth at DE not sure anyone is stepping up enough on that front

G. Thinks they bring a veteran LB for depth, likley someone who knows this defense

H.  Wentz's inconsistency evident, better recently.  Quick game has Wentz as his best

G. AJ Klein (previously of Bills…. and Brandon Beane - former Panther - guy).

Edited by Die Hard
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

AJ Klein (previously of Bills…. and BrandonOakland?

Beane - former Panther - guy).

I'm not an x's and o's guy so forgive my ignorance here but do we run the d Rivera had in Carolina or the d del Rio ran in oakland?

Or is it similar?