Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The All Things 2022 OTAs/Training Camp Thread

Forever A Redskin

@Shakazullo21 on the off-chance you didn’t get what @Bifflog meant (I’m 95% certain you did, but just in case), he meant no Samuel on the PUP list. 

Not at all sure why this post received a “thumbs down” from you, @skinsfan4128. I was explaining what he meant by “no Samuel”. Shakazullo21 did infact misunderstand it, and he thanked me for clearing it up. Is clearing up peoples confusion a bad thing? 🙄

Edited by Cooleyfan1993

5 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

You seem to take the most negative position you can take, and then beat on it forever.  

To be honest, I've never encountered a more negative person about pretty much anything in my life - personally or on the internet (minus obvious trolls).  The negativity crosses over into Tailgate topics just the same.  

And this is coming from me, who doesn't need to find reasons to be negative about this organization.  I totally get people who won't believe in this team until they see it, and that bad things will inevitably happen, because they normally do.  But this guy can literally come up with the most negative stance on any coach, player or situation that revolves around this team and just beat that drum all night long.

• Like 6
  • Thumb up 2

9 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Though I am sure they are going to manage his workload throughout camp, which will cause people to freak out.  But that might also just be a good plan

Happens every year.

Last year several were planning Antonio gibsons retirement party because of the turf toe.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Chase Young will take the longest? Uh oh, he desperately needed a healthy off-season to work on his pass rush moves and fix his stutter step habit.

Wonder if he starts the season on PUP too. Could be another lost season for him (that's not his fault unlike the year prior)

The question is when he can return to practice.  I don't think it's going to be another lost season.  But I do think he could have a slower start as he works his way back from the injury.  

My crystal ball says Young will be cleared to practice at some point during training camp so he can work his way in slowly.  And I think they're going to prefer to have Chase practice with the team in some capacity at the beginning of the season, so I think they're just going to activate him at some point, and then leave him on the active roster and inactivate him for gamedays. If they put him on either the PUP or IR list, he can't practice.  I think they're going to want him to practice the last several weeks of his rehab to make sure he's ready to play. 

As a refresher, here is a summary of the PUP rules, interestingly I found these on the Seahawks SB Nation site, but they are concise and well written, and clear:

PUP Active - Player placed on Active PUP may not participate in training camp practices and continues to occupy a spot on the 90-man roster (meaning no roster spot is created for the team to add a new player). Players on the PUP list may pass a physical and be cleared for practice at any time during training camp, and a player who remains on the PUP list through camp and to final roster cuts may be moved to the regular season PUP list. A player placed on the regular season PUP list does not count against the 53 man roster limit of the team, and must remain on the PUP list through the first four games the team plays.

One other thing, the player has to start Training Camp on PUP, you can't add a player to PUP once Training Camp starts.  Once a player is removed from the PUP list, you can't put him back on it.  Years ago, I think the team was really frustrated with the player who we do not name (from the draft we do not mention) because he was hurt coming into camp, but tried to practice, and then was done. They would have preferred to PUP him at the beginning of camp, but since he practiced, he just sat there on the roster for weeks.  

There are many factors as to when a player would come off of the PUP list, the most notable being, can they participate in practice? But teams could also consider how long into the season they will be on the PUP and make a strategic decision to leave a player on the PUP list so they can start the year on PUP.  (More on that later)  If they can participate in practice, then the player would be removed from the PUP list, would practice with the team.  But that removes the ability for the team to place the player on PUP for the regular season, so they would have to be on the active roster and then be a game day inactive.

I believe (but could be wrong) that you can place a player on IR at the beginning of the season.  However, there is a huge caveat: First the player must be ON the 53.

So, let's say Chase Young is cleared to practice the last 2 weeks of Training Camp. But the team thinks he won't be ready until week 5 or 6.  If they remove him from the PUP list, he's back on the active roster.  The only way they can have him sit out a few more weeks and not take up a roster sport would be to place him on IR.  

What they could do is put him on the initial 53, then IR him the next day, freeing up a roster spot, which they would fill presumably with a guy they cut getting to the 53.  

The obvious danger in this is if they cut a guy they want to bring up after Chase hits IR, that player would have to clear waivers before they could re-sign him, so you could lose a player you want because you have to keep Young on the active roster for a day. And some part of that is out of your control, if the released player is waiver eligible.  

Or, of course, if they think it's going to be just a couple of weeks, then you just leave Chase on the active roster and make him a game-day inactive.

The benefit of just leaving a player on the PUP list and letting them start the season on the PUP list is he never hits your 53, so you don't have to release somebody you want to keep to fill that roster spot.  Obviously, when the player comes back from the PUP list, you have to make a corresponding cut.  But that's tomorrow's problem.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

And this is coming from me, who doesn't need to find reasons to be negative about this organization. 

I would never have guessed you didn't need a reason to find negativity about this organization.  I always thought you were Mr. Happy Positive guy.

What Disney character exhibits generosity? - Quora

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Shakazullo21 said:

what do you mean.  He was there.  He did conditioning tests.

I was just saying no Samuel on the PUP list.  And it was tongue in cheek, since I didn't expect him to be.

Edited by Bifflog

3 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Our first posted training camp tweet is of the punter?

I mean, I think he is the longest tenured player on the team and was the best player on the team for about 5 years.  

(I tried to google if he is the longest tenured player on the team.  But I can't find it anywhere and I'm not going to look for more than 30 seconds.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

You seem to take the most negative position you can take, and then beat on it forever.  

Honestly I find it therapeutic. 

It literally cant be all bad, because this dude is never right lol 

3 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

"the punter"....no, Tress Way, mf'er.

Put some respect on his name! 

• Haha 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, FLSkinz83 said:

Ron planting the seeds.  If only if we didn't have the off-field stuff.       I'm sure it won't be because of a lack of depth on defense.

Yeah...I was pretty surprised he took that not so subtle shot at Dan. 

The typical "coach-speak" answer would have been something like, "we focus on the game, everything else is just noise."

39 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I mean, I think he is the longest tenured player on the team and was the best player on the team for about 5 years.  

(I tried to google if he is the longest tenured player on the team.  But I can't find it anywhere and I'm not going to look for more than 30 seconds.)

We claimed him off waivers on august 20th, 2014, and I’d be surprised if there’s anyone else on the team that’s been here longer than 8/20/14

apparently we released a punter named Robert Malone in order for Way to be our starting punter. I don’t even remember who Robert Malone is/was. 

FYI, that took all of 10 seconds to get that info :) 

Edited by Cooleyfan1993
  • Like 1