Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The All Things 2022 OTAs/Training Camp Thread

Forever A Redskin

21 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Is this his year then? Or is that next year? I can never keep track.

He said “slander”, so I don’t think he was referring to us. 😁

I’m curious to see how Harmon’s camp goes.  Don’t blame anyone for writing him off, but he can be an asset underneath vs zone, and his hands/play strength/size somewhat mitigate the lack of speed/burst vs man.  Doesn’t hurt that he’s also a good blocker with a serious work ethic (and now 2 years removed from his ACL injury).  Definitely long odds for him to make the 53 though.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I know it’s only one throw in practice but Howell’s trajectory on this throw looks good. For a guy who’s only 6’1 and only a 3 step drop, there’s no arc on an intermediate throw over the offensive and defensive line. Looks much different than a throw from Heinicke. 

Commanders: "We're going to have a lottery for open seats for the public in practice. Feel free to sign up."

I sign up

I don't win. I'm skeptical. "Why didn't I win a slot? Surely the demand could not be that large for training camp, could it!"

PEOPLE ARE WORKING DURING THIS TIME, AT LEAST MOST ARE

I COULD EASILY BE THERE AS FAN #5

WHAT THE **** IS WITH THIS ORGANIZATION PUTTING THIS **** BEHIND A LOTTERY. FOR ****S SAKE. NOBODY IS THERE.

NOBODY.

AND THEY HAVE THE NERVE TO TELL ME THAT THE DAMN THING WAS SOLD OUT, OR THAT I DIDN'T WIN A LOTTERY. IF THERE WAS NO LOTTERY I'D BE THERE. I LIVE LIKE 3 MINUTES AWAY.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, redskinss said:

If they're going to allow cameras at training camp I wish they'd put them in a boom lift and give them better cameras so we could get some decent shots.

It's nice to see the practice action but it's always so low and far away that you can't get a good look at it.

They're never going to do that because then literally every other team can see the nuances of the routes.

It's one thing to see a grainy iPhone sideline angle, nobody can learn much from that.  

From a boom camera?  You can learn a lot from that.  It was like when idiot Dan charged for training camp so every other team sent a scout to watch, because if you charge, it's open to anybody.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

Interesting but I think AGG knew he wasn’t gonna make the 53. I was hopeful when we drafted him but I think it’s a case of an athlete who just didn’t love football and had way too many other interest. 

1 minute ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

For all that we wanted to crown Kyle Smith as being a budding star talent evaluator, that was not a good draft pick.

Terry McLaurin more than makes up for missing on AGG...plus he was a 4th rounder. Missing on a 4th rounder is barely a scratch on Kyle Smith's reputation.

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Lolol that lottery system turned out GREAT didn’t it! Idiots. 

also, I love how one of the comments under the tweet says “move that **** to nova” uhhh, you DO realize Ashburn IS in NoVa, right? 😂

It was just a big scam. I bet they had 2 spots open. Of course you wouldn't win if they had 2 spots open and 20 or 30 people sign up.

• Like 1

Just now, Califan007 The Constipated said:

Terry McLaurin more than makes up for missing on AGG...plus he was a 4th rounder. Missing on a 4th rounder is barely a scratch on Kyle Smith's reputation.

Honestly, missing on a 4th round WR is the norm. The hit rate for WR's drafted after the first 3 rounds falls off a cliff. The ones that do succeed usually only fell because of off-field concerns and not their ability to play. Jamison Crowder was one of the rare exceptions.

Basically, don't draft a WR after round 3. Draft other positions with better historical odds for panning out.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Honestly, missing on a 4th round WR is the norm. The hit rate for WR's drafted after the first 3 rounds falls off a cliff. The ones that do succeed usually only fell because of off-field concerns and not their ability to play. Jamison Crowder was one of the rare exceptions.

Basically, don't draft a WR after round 3. Draft other positions with better historical odds for panning out.

I agree, although I think Pierre Garcon was drafted in the 6th round...but like you were suggesting, got a million Ryan Grants for every Jamison Crowder.

3 hours ago, TheShredder said:

Ah, yeah it's that kid next door who was always trying to play Truth or Dare with your sister.

I don't know why, but this really made me laugh.  

I MIGHT have been that kid with my neighbor across the street.  Hot damn, she was hot though. Looking back on it, though, she had the worst 19991 era perm.  She looks so much better now, with natural wavy brown hair.  No, we never played Truth or Dare.  But we were always friends who ran in different social circles.

Funny story: her father was a Full Bird Colonel in the Army.  He was an infantry commander, and about 6-7, mountain of a man. One of the nicest guys you will ever meet (they have been family friends for 35 years) but he could also kill you 7 different ways before you knew you were in trouble. Well, he (and his wife, the mom) were out at a Military Ball one night, and were planning on staying downtown, and his daughter decided to throw a party knowing her parents were away.  So all the popular kids came over.  (There might have been Truth or Dare, not sure.) 

I had gone out with my girlfriend and a few other friends to dinner, stopped by Blockbuster, picked up a video(!), and came home to watch said video.  (This was our exciting Friday night.)  We pulled into our driveway, and a car pulled in right behind us  It was the Colonel. In full dress uniform.  His wife had a headache and wanted to come home early instead of staying out.  (As a side note, this was way before cell phones, if there were cell phones, my parents would probably have called to tell them their derelict daughter was throwing a rave at their house.  But this just happened because of bad luck for my friend.)

I said "hello" to the Colonel.  He came over, said there seemed to be a party going on at his house he wasn't invited to.  (He has always had a great sense of humor.)   His wife asked if she could crash at our house while the Colonel "sorted out the situation."  

So the Colonel walked in, and kids started running out.  The entire place was emptied out in probably 30 seconds.  (SLIGHT exaggeration.  But not by much.)  Though he did keep a few of the kids who had been drinking and didn't have a ride at their house while they had to call their parents to have them get picked up. 

His comment to me the next day was his daughter was in trouble, and grounded for life, but not because she thew a party, but because she was a dumbass and didn't station lookouts. He then told me if I wanted to throw a party, where to station lookouts.  I told him he saw the 5 friends I would invite to the party last night in the driveway, so I didn't think lookouts were needed.  :)  

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

Also shows the hit and miss rates of coaches pushing for guys.  I recall multiple reporters say they heard behind the scenes Sean McVay was standing on the table for Josh Dotson, that was his guy.   But then later on McVay nailed it with Cooper Kupp.

Scott Turner according to some pounded the table for Antonio Gibson.  But also supposedly did the same for AGG and Dyami.  Dyami is TBD.  Don't know who behind the scenes loved Dotson but that one is looking good so far. 

I recall the story about how Al Saunders loved Brandon Lloyd back in the day and pushed for that trade. 

The fan lottery idea maybe not too hot?

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

I agree, although I think Pierre Garcon was drafted in the 6th round...but like you were suggesting, got a million Ryan Grants for every Jamison Crowder.

Sooo, fun fact, Ryan Grant is one of the better outcomes for a Day 3 pick. He outproduced most Day 3 WR's. You can find starters for other positions on Day 3, but WR is just so in demand that everyone with legitimate start potential is gone by then.