Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NY Post: Yumi Nu (Plus-Sized Model) On the Cover of 2022 SI Swimsuit Issue

This has been quite the buzz on Twitter over the past couple days...

https://nypost.com/2022/05/16/yumi-nu-shaking-over-si-swimsuit-cover-reveal/

What does everyone think of this? Yumi is 5'11" and weighs 240+ pounds. On one hand, we are definitely in a time in history where we celebrate all body types, etc. On the other hand, this cover has always been aspirational and meant to show almost an unattainable woman. From Christie Brinkley to Elle McPherson to Tyra Banks...this is quite the deviation. 

I thought it would be an interesting discussion for the Tailgate! 

This is happening across the spectrum. Wife made a comment when the Victoria secret catalogue showed up and was full of “normal looking women” according to her. 

whatever. If it helps people feel better than cool. I’m guessing it either helps them expand their client base or keep it. So whatever. 

but no it doesn’t change what I am or am not attracted to and I’m not a fan so it doesn’t do anything for me. 

• Like 1

I see it's 2022 and we continue with embracing the perverse sexualization of womem.  I get that everyone involved in this is free participant, but can we get some type of "smart is attractive" equivalent or "funny is attractive equivalent".  

Maybe I'm already out-to-sea on this, and yes, I am a bit prudish... but the SI swimsuit edition (and every other high gloss magazine which objectify's women) is a gateway to expectations from boys and men that puts sexuality above all (for many people).

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

I see it's 2022 and we continue with embracing the perverse sexualization of womem.  I get that everyone involved in this is free participant, but can we get some type of "smart is attractive"

I’m with you. Take Kate Upton for example. I love her for her brains.

kate upton si swimsuit 2017 GIF by Sports Illustrated Swimsuit

I GOTTA GET MY HANDS ON THOSE BRAINS!!!

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff
  • Haha 5
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

14 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

I see it's 2022 and we continue with embracing the perverse sexualization of womem.  I get that everyone involved in this is free participant, but can we get some type of "smart is attractive" equivalent or "funny is attractive equivalent".  

Maybe I'm already out-to-sea on this, and yes, I am a bit prudish... but the SI swimsuit edition (and every other high gloss magazine which objectify's women) is a gateway to expectations from boys and men that puts sexuality above all (for many people).

So what would you expect on a magazine swimsuit edition if not women in swimsuits?

Or are you saying the swimsuit edition should be banished? 

I honestly couldn't care less either way. I can't remember the last time I checked out a SI swimsuit edition. Just curious what you're saying.

• Like 1

I am just venting against a train that left the station years ago.  SI is just an easy target.

I think over-sexualization of women is a net negative to society.  I know how I viewed women as a teen and I don't want her peers looking at her that way.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

1) She’s gorgeous. I’m not really sure there is an objective way to argue otherwise 

2) It doesnt really matter if her body type isn’t some guys preference. The stick figure models or fake kardiashian bodies aren’t preferred body types for many either and they always get on the cover. 

I think she has a pretty face, but she's very large. I also don't agree that most swimsuit models were "stick figure models" like we think of when we talk about catwalk or runway, coked out models. They always struck me as more athletic looking. Maybe it's just me. 

14 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

All I know is that she triggered Jordan “hero of the incels” Peterson so hard that he clowned himself incessantly and then quit twitter.

What’s more beautiful than that?!?

He doesn't care whether or not she's pretty. He just wanted to use it as a political cudgel.

I'm all over the place on this.  I agree that obesity shouldn't be celebrated but I'm also aware that it's a struggle for a lot of people.  And we can joke about things on here or twitter, but quite frankly we wouldn't say anything like this to a person's face.

But the biggest thing (no pun intended, seriously) that I don't understand is that no matter what you think of her body, she's got an incredible face.  It's beautiful.  And no matter how her body makes people feel, you don't see a beautiful face like that every day.  On top of that, her skin tone, which is probably enhanced a bit but in reality not far from what you see on that cover is beautiful, too.  And that's why she's on the cover.  

Which renders the whole "body positivity" thing meaningless, IMO.  I mean, if you want to make so-called "average" women feel better about themselves, put average looking women that don't have a face like that in the Swimsuit Issue.  Roll on down to Wal-Mart and find the cashier with pasty-white Scotch-Irish skin and with the biggest, hairiest mole coming out of her chin and put her on the cover. 

Then you'd be really making a statement instead of still figuring out off-beat ways to prop up beauty and pretending to take a stance and to be edgy and/or progressive while still putting a strikingly beautiful woman on the cover.  I haven't picked up a Swimsuit Issue in years (before they started trying to address this issue) but I find making social statements out of inherently dumb spank-bank material to be...well, dumb.  

But go on, Sports Illustrated, be progressive.  

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, tshile said:

Yeah. Wonder how much a airbrushing they did on the body positive cover 😂 

Probably whatever they typically do.  Skin smoothing, erasing any blemishes, stretch marks (skinny people have them, too), enhancing eye color.  Any flyaway hairs.  Enhancing contrast, dodge and burn in areas.  Evening the lighting overall.  

But it's a good point, if they're all for "body positivity" here, leave the stretch marks.  

• Like 3

:ols: 

Of course Peterson is now making himself into the victim and whining about people being mean to him on Twitter.

https://www.newsweek.com/jordan-peterson-quits-twitter-yumi-nu-sports-illustrated-1707202

So he goes to Twitter to insult a swimsuit model for being plus size, then subsequently quits Twitter after people...insult him. The right are such a bunch of **** ass ****es.

Dawsons_creek_crying_meme_400.jpg?auto=format,compress&cs=strip

• Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Also, while we're here, I'm tired of male bodies being objectified in cologne commercials, underwear commercials and any other media where male models are being hired.

It's high time that average looking men are represented.  I don't want to see a guy with six pack abs and dinner plate pecs anymore with a full head of hair and a defined jaw line.  I want male models to be 45 pounds overweight with a beer gut and to look like they haven't done a push-up since middle school.  Their jaws should blend in nicely with their double chin and neck and they should all have male-pattern baldness.  

I'm tired of feeling lesser-than because I don't live up to society's beauty standards for males.  Don't judge me for eating 3 donuts this morning, accept my body for what it is, society.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I try hard not to care about this kinda stuff, as I feel like its a waste of our collective time as a society. We could be doing so much more lol

But also I think she's hot. And I'm not into big chicks at all (cause, physics. I'm a big man, big on big gives me less room to play if you get my drift) but she's hot at least in that pic. Thats all my input. I have no idea how to feel about the other storylines in play as I kinda get both. But also who ****ing cares really? People need to talk about other **** 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I don't want to see a guy with six pack abs and dinner plate pecs anymore with a full head of hair and a defined jaw line

Damn bro why you trying to put me out of work?

in all seriousness, the same standard should apply to men too, and I think it often does in society, at least more than women. Dad bods are in. We are all aware of the sitcom dad with the model wife. Every Adam Sandler movie etc. it’s far more acceptable imo for a man to be out of shape generally speaking 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Damn bro why you trying to put me out of work?

in all seriousness, the same standard should apply to men too, and I think it often does in society, at least more than women. Dad bods are in. We are all aware of the sitcom dad with the model wife. Every Adam Sandler movie etc. it’s far more acceptable imo for a man to be out of shape generally speaking 

****ing George Lopez on the George Lopez show with that wife of his.  I know that's random as ****, but they always have that show on one of the TVs at the gym early in the morning.

You bring up good points, I didn't really know that dad bods were in.