Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NY Post: Yumi Nu (Plus-Sized Model) On the Cover of 2022 SI Swimsuit Issue

40 minutes ago, tshile said:

I also think the whole fat shaming thing is out of control. 

like - it’s ok for me to not be attracted to you, and that not be fat shaming. it’s ok for me to have an opinion about what you look like. And when friends and are are discussing some random person we’ll never meet, it’s ok to share our opinions. 

I’m not saying fat shaming doesn’t exist, but in real life (not on the internet) it’s something I hardly if ever see. 

Although to be fair I hardly watch tv except for sports and randomly I’ll latch onto a series from one of the streaming platforms. I don’t use Twitter or Facebook. So I’m not really exposed to that whole part of society where maybe it’s a huge problem 🤷‍♂️ 

I agree with this, especially with something public like a model or actress. Not being attracted to somebody based on their body type or ethnicity doesn't make you a bad person or bigot. We can't help our tastes. If I'm not attracted to skinny or fat people, but only medium-sized women, that's not fat-shaming. If I'm not attracted to white women or Asians, but only Indian women or black women, I'm not racist against fair-skinned people. We are allowed to have preferences. 

11 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

I'd consider asking those who are overweight if they have experienced fat shaming.

Just to be clear: I was specifically referencing my personal life experience as an adult over the last 10-15 years. No. I cannot recall where I watched an adult shame someone to their face over that. I also live a pretty narrow existence in terms to what people are exposed to. 

Not trying to downplay their life experiences at all and I surely would defer to them on the subject. 

• Like 1

@Die Hard how do we know if it's the chicken or the egg though? Are fat people more likely to be lower earners or are lower earners more likely to be fat? I don't have a theory, just saying that there's an argument to be made that SOME traits associated with obesity would be shared with people who don't also reach the top of their professions. Having said that, I'm not blind to the fact that appearances matter...so I'm sure that plays a role as well. 

47 minutes ago, tshile said:

I also think the whole fat shaming thing is out of control. 

like - it’s ok for me to not be attracted to you, and that not be fat shaming. it’s ok for me to have an opinion about what you look like. And when friends and are are discussing some random person we’ll never meet, it’s ok to share our opinions. 

I’m not saying fat shaming doesn’t exist, but in real life (not on the internet) it’s something I hardly if ever see. 

Although to be fair I hardly watch tv except for sports and randomly I’ll latch onto a series from one of the streaming platforms. I don’t use Twitter or Facebook. So I’m not really exposed to that whole part of society where maybe it’s a huge problem 🤷‍♂️ 

I think there's a big difference between not being attracted to overweight people and being mean spirited and making fun of people for being fat. I've seen both. But a lot of it is on social media nowadays, so if you're not on there (more power to you) then you might not see it as much. Unfortunately the internet has given awful people a place to be anonymous sociopaths for a long time now.

• Like 3

5 pages and I assume there's a whole bunch of post about fat shaming, etc... 

Thinking more it's really the elevation of sexuality/physical appearance over all else (intelligence, social, emotional traits).  

The first thing we do is judge people on how they look.  

8 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Fat = dumb, comedic relief, evil, angry

See Disney… and every overweight character on TV.

Yeah I definitely see it in that way. 

i was referring to social interaction in real life. Sorry, that was the point of the in real life part. I do honestly get that society as a whole had poked tons of fun and been mean about it. 

i think the latest trends, as I’ve been saying, are good things in this area. 

i was just trying to say that it’s ok if I, personally, look at that and think “well that’s not what i would have preferred…” 

and it’s ok for SI to not care that I think that. 

6 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

@Die Hard how do we know if it's the chicken or the egg though? Are fat people more likely to be lower earners or are lower earners more likely to be fat? I don't have a theory, just saying that there's an argument to be made that SOME traits associated with obesity would be shared with people who don't also reach the top of their professions. Having said that, I'm not blind to the fact that appearances matter...so I'm sure that plays a role as well. 

https://theconversation.com/half-of-employers-say-they-are-less-inclined-to-recruit-obese-candidates-its-not-ok-109821

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20161130-fat-people-earn-less-and-have-a-harder-time-finding-work

Let’s stop pretending that employment is a meritocracy.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

Thinking more it's really the elevation of sexuality/physical appearance over all else (intelligence, social, emotional traits).  

Yes, because we're not telepathic. 

3 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

I mean…. no one has brought up sexual objectification of women as the fundamental issue here 😂

It’s a swim suit issue. Women of all kinds of ages and appearances wear swim suits. All it takes is 1 overweight woman on the cover in 40 years…. in a single magazine that probably has 12 other females that fit the mold.

Turn the page. Figuratively and literally.

12 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I think there's a big difference between not being attracted to overweight people and being mean spirited and making fun of people for being fat. I've seen both. But a lot of it is on social media nowadays, so if you're not on there (more power to you) then you might not see it as much. Unfortunately the internet has given awful people a place to be anonymous sociopaths for a long time now.

That is absolutely true. 

I also have a sliding scale of acceptance of it, personally. I don't really condone anything mean-spirited. But, when somebody goes on social media for the sole purpose of posting pics for attention and they happen to get honest feedback, that doesn't bother me too much for some reason. Or, if people are discussing a public figure and comment how she's "not hot" or "pretty big" or something...I'm not losing much sleep. 

That's different than bullying some 15-year old girl's IG post though. 

9 minutes ago, tshile said:

Yeah I definitely see it in that way. 

i was referring to social interaction in real life. Sorry, that was the point of the in real life part. I do honestly get that society as a whole had poked tons of fun and been mean about it. 

i think the latest trends, as I’ve been saying, are good things in this area. 

i was just trying to say that it’s ok if I, personally, look at that and think “well that’s not what i would have preferred…” 

and it’s ok for SI to not care that I think that. 

I won’t bore you with my anecdotal references. If you really want to know…. just ask people.

Its probably best to start with people you know and trust first. 🙂 Ask them about their experience with fat-shaming. I’m sure you’ll learn a lot.

10 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Wellll, I didn't...read the post of mine that you quoted. But let's also not pretend that people are willing to lose their jobs to hire incompetent pretty people. Looks play a role, but are not the only factor. 

4 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Wellll, I didn't...read the post of mine that you quoted. But let's also not pretend that people are willing to lose their jobs to hire incompetent pretty people. Looks play a role, but are not the only factor. 

Physically attractive people get more and better job opportunities. Id be happy to assume equal competencies. 

Obviously, it’s not the only factor.

And obviously, management hires incompetent employees all the time. So people are willing to lose their jobs very willingly… or perhaps they’re willing to tolerate less-than-ideal performance.

And in my experience, that latter is prevalent.

"Outliers" probably pull the average income if we aren't limiting fields of profession.  Let's step back here, there aren't an equal number of fat vs not fat female athletes, actresses, models, etc, and they make enough money to vastly impact any comparison of average salary.

42 minutes ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

You can tell girl got pancake b00bs and an azz that look like she rubbed her back on a table saw.

If there were a hell, you'd be on your way to it.😑

I used to be pretty much only interested in relatively smallish women, i.e. not rail thin, some junk in the trunk, just not "thick". As I've gotten older, (and wider) my tastes have changed and I've also become more sympathetic to people that struggle with their weight. Nowadays, I generally appreciate beautiful women no matter what size and Yumi Nu could definitely get it. Well, she could if I didn't mind dying a painful death at the hands of Mrs. Sisko.

tom-hanks-jeopardy.gif

• Like 3

The problem I have is how we judge and view people.  Did anyone chine in on her intelligence, emotional quotient (hello Amber Heard), social quotiet?  She's a song-writer too... people who are this successful typically have good emotional and social skills.  

Let's get all up in arms about obesity but not care if someone is barely smarter than a 5th grade rock...

First, to be clear discrimination based on appearances happens.  And for decades (even maybe centuries now) obesity has been considered less attractive and so there is discrimination there that will affect things like wages and jobs.

From there in terms of work and earning, the difference between discrimination and hiring based on factoring stereotypes in hiring processes is difficult.

As even one of @Die Hard's links discussed obese people are more likely to miss work due to (obesity related) illnesses.

In addition, there does appear to be an association between IQ and obesity (even when you correct for things like race).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3813310/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19780990/

Now applied to any given two people that doesn't mean the non-obese person will miss less work and is smarter.

(Again, discrimination happens based on appearances.  And I am sure there are cases where an obese person was clearly the better job candidate and doesn't get the job because they are deemed less attractive.)

Fat people should be shamed a little. It’s good for you to feel uncomfortable about something that reduces your quality of life and increases burden on society as a whole. 

3 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

The problem I have is how we judge and view people.  Did anyone chine in on her intelligence, emotional quotient (hello Amber Heard), social quotiet?  She's a song-writer too... people who are this successful typically have good emotional and social skills.  

she wasn’t selling any of those things… nice try.

6 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Fat people should be shamed a little. It’s good for you to feel uncomfortable about something that reduces your quality of life and increases burden on society as a whole. 

Read Brene Brown. She’s a well known thought leader, Social worker, professor at Houston University, published X books, conducted a lot of studies on shame. Has one of the top 3 Ted Talks ever (vulnerability). She also has another Ted Talk on shame.

Shes a shame and vulnerability researcher. And the research conflicts with your opinion.

Edited by Die Hard
  • Like 1
  • Thumb down 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, The Sisko said:

If there were a hell, you'd be on your way to it.😑

I used to be pretty much only interested in relatively smallish women, i.e. not rail thin, some junk in the trunk, just not "thick". As I've gotten older, (and wider) my tastes have changed and I've also become more sympathetic to people that struggle with their weight. Nowadays, I generally appreciate beautiful women no matter what size and Yumi Nu could definitely get it. Well, she could if I didn't mind dying a painful death at the hands of Mrs. Sisko.

tom-hanks-jeopardy.gif

I like how you say I'd be in hell - super right wing republican.

And reference Tom Hanks with a MAGA hat.

In order to shoot down my argument.

3 minutes ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

I like how you say I'd be in hell - super right wing republican.

And reference Tom Hanks with a MAGA hat.

In order to shoot down my argument.

You made a low blow disgusting take on her looks, there's a million different ways to say that.

7 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

she wasn’t selling any of those things… nice try.

I think there's a huge gulf between shaming and pointing out a health risk while still being supportive and encouraging. 

I do agree with your second point though. I'm not sure why someone is freaking out about her being somewhat sexualized. I'm sure she's probably a nice, intelligent, talented person...but this is about her on the cover of a magazine in a swimsuit. It's not like she didn't know she was going to be there or something, and she's obviously fine with it.

• Thumb up 1