Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

On 5/1/2022 at 5:28 AM, KDawg said:

Rattler is a wild card. If he can get himself back on track to meet his recruiting hype he’ll find himself back in the equation.

I'm pretty uninterested in Rattler. No doubt he has talent but from what I've read and seen he comes off an a super entitled big headed jackoff.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

I'm pretty uninterested in Rattler. No doubt he has talent but from what I've read and seen he comes off an a super entitled big headed jackoff.

I thought he was arrogant in QB1 (Netflix). But he seemed well liked by people and his teammates believed in him. 

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I thought he was arrogant in QB1 (Netflix). But he seemed well liked by people and his teammates believed in him. 

A year of Rattler getting his teeth kicked in by real SEC defenses (they play Georgia, A&M, Tennessee, and Clemson, among others) should humble him a little bit.  I actually do like his talent a lot, but he does come across somewhat diva-like.  

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

That show makes for intriguing viewing, but when you give an 18 year old boy, that already gets told how wonderful he is every day just because he can ball, his own reality show, there's a really good chance you'll bring out the dbag in him. I'd hesitate to judge their character based off this show, but there are cases like Tate Martell where the dbag is just who he is. 

• Like 1

Fair points. I'm probably judging Rattler too much and not giving him a chance. Things I've read and seen (including the footage from QB1) just left a bad taste in my mouth but I'll step back on him and wait to see how things play out.

When was the last time the NFL mock drafters didn't give us a top 10 pick in the following draft when projecting the order next year?  Must be at least 10 years ago or so since they haven't.   lol, at least we aren't projected as having the first or 2nd pick in next years draft as they often project. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

image.png.7beb271f93e7d4dd1e90846d73901f2e.png

Too early receiver rankings.

List of guys I wanted to watch this time through but didn't have any easy to access film (I'm not digging hard while I do these familiarize scouts)

image.png.fc0ce6ef93d244507dc286421cc2ff1d.png

The amount of transfers is wild so far in the three positions I've fully watched.

Also... this receiver class is, at least right now, not impressive at all. After Boutte there's a big drop off.

Edited by KDawg

image.png.6c9b5e3d4fec0b07736bdf3fd0447029.png

Here are the tight ends I wanted to watch but couldn't easily find film (like I said, I am only watching a few minutes, getting a read on these guys. Not going to spend a ton of time trying to find film for that. Can wait for the 22 season)

image.png.13ea44bee1dfe8bbf5b0859c5dbf6194.png

Michael Trigg is an interesting one. The dude is freakin huge. He dominated the Ole Miss spring game, too. 

Stogner went with Rattler to South Carolina. I have a feeling Rattler is going to do well there.

Will Mallory is a steady player and has a never say die attitude. Tyler Van Dyke stands out big time when watching Mallory... as a Canes fan this pleases me. Full disclosure I'm also a Cuse fan... The @Koolblue13 of college football :ols:

But more Canes than Cuse. I follow Cuse for college hoops and they are more local. The Canes were my favorite college football team when I was young when my tiny brain didn't comprehend college football and basketball had the same teams :ols:

Edited by KDawg

When I watch Ohio State I can't help but think they have their RG and RT in 2021 in the reverse positions they should be playing. Obviously there are reasons for the switch beyond what I know, but watching them Paris Johnson (RG) projects as a tackle much better than Dawand Jones. And Jones would be an intimidating guard. 

On 5/3/2022 at 11:09 AM, KDawg said:

image.png.7beb271f93e7d4dd1e90846d73901f2e.png

Too early receiver rankings.

List of guys I wanted to watch this time through but didn't have any easy to access film (I'm not digging hard while I do these familiarize scouts)

image.png.fc0ce6ef93d244507dc286421cc2ff1d.png

The amount of transfers is wild so far in the three positions I've fully watched.

Also... this receiver class is, at least right now, not impressive at all. After Boutte there's a big drop off.

As a Maryland fan I definitely excited about Maryland's trio of WR's which at least on  paper is top 5 or 6 WR unit.  In terms of Deontay Demus his situation is probably going to be a little bit like Pickens was this year.  He had that ACL tear midway through last season and will likely not be ready game one.  I think realistically it will be midway through 2023 before he is ready to play.  I am curious to how he plays and also what his draft hype is.  At the time of his injury, PFF had him as the 9th best WR in the 2022 class.   It would be one thing if he was like the 2nd or 3rd WR in the class at the time of injury, but 9th means he wasn't a surefire bet so teams may be a bit wary of him.  That said he was having a special year.   Over the past 15 years, I have seen Maryland have 4 WR's have some NFL success in Darius Heyward-Bey, Torrey Smith, Stefon Diggs, and DJ Moore.   Its a bit hard to compare them because they all played in different circumstances.  Production wise, Demus was on pace to have a season that could match any of them, BUT he was playing with a far better QB than any of them had and a more pass happy offense.   Diggs and Moore in particular played with weak QB's.  In terms of style of play, Demus isn't really similar to any but if I had to pick, I would say he most similar to Heyward-Bey.

In terms of Rakim Jarrett he is a smooth athlete who runs solid routes.  Not super explosive, he pretty smooth and can change direction without losing a ton of speed.  I am not quite as high on Jarrett as maybe some pundits because I felt after the Demus injury when Jarrett stepped in the number 1 receiver role, he wasn't as good as Demus.

The third guy in the trio is Jacob Copeland.  He transferred in from Florida and is really quick and good at getting yards after the catch.  I only saw Copeland in the spring game, but it was impressive.  Caught passes on a couple different types of routes, but the thing that stood out to be the most was how quickly he made his first move after the catch to get yards. I think in Maryland's pass happy offense, Copeland could get 1000 yards if he has a good season.  Because Demus is not likely to be ready for game 1, I see Demus and Copeland putting up big numbers next year for the Terps. 

• Like 1

List of players we will most likely target with our early picks, narrowed down from the OP for ease :

Will Anderson, Alabama (2) EDGE
Byron Young, Alabama (35) DT
Justin Eboigbe, Alabama (37) DT

Henry To'o To'o, Alabama (19) LB

Eli Ricks, Alabama (9) CB

Malachi Moore, Alabama (15) S
Jordan Battle, Alabama (39) S

:)

• Haha 1

On 5/2/2022 at 5:38 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

When was the last time the NFL mock drafters didn't give us a top 10 pick in the following draft when projecting the order next year?  Must be at least 10 years ago or so since they haven't.   lol, at least we aren't projected as having the first or 2nd pick in next years draft as they often project. 

Will Anderson will end up the first pick if whoever is picking there already has a QB. I know the term "generational" gets thrown around all of the time. But that dude is truly ridiculous. 

On 5/2/2022 at 6:09 PM, KillBill26 said:

So with the compensatory pick window closing, looks like we added a 3rd for scherff, and a 7th for settle.

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-picks/

Going into the draft with 8 picks considering we lost a 2 or 3 in the Wentz deal.

Not that it matters to Washington, but I don't understand the third round pick to SF for "Robert Saleh/Martin Mayhew".

Especially since Mayhew didn't become GM.🤷‍♂️

https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2021/01/20/martin-mayhew-49ers-washington/

:229:The Rook

A lot of the OTs that are highly regarded don't have a ton of film available. So here's the list of guys I watched that do:

image.png.00bc3c6e3bd599ab205b102e97cbfb56.png

Guys I need to watch:

image.png.1453ebfb308b73d63c8d5d5bd9716037.png

Working on guards/centers at some point today and then the preliminary offensive scout is complete.

Thoughts so far:

Kirkland and Nelson are really good. Good base, good weight distribution, play under control, slip off blocks easy, work well at the second level.

Paris Johnson is pretty good but he's playing guard. Which is odd because when you watch him on film he plays guard like a tackle. Whereas his teammate, Dawand Jones, who I think projects as more of a guard is playing tackle. 

Jaelyn Duncan has some rough edges to him but he's an impressive player that can move up the board with a solid '22.

The rest? Meh. The OT class looks very pedestrian so far. But as we all know it's way too early to judge it at this point. 

Edited by KDawg

15 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

List of players we will most likely target with our early picks, narrowed down from the OP for ease :

Will Anderson, Alabama (2) EDGE
Byron Young, Alabama (35) DT
Justin Eboigbe, Alabama (37) DT

Henry To'o To'o, Alabama (19) LB

Eli Ricks, Alabama (9) CB

Malachi Moore, Alabama (15) S
Jordan Battle, Alabama (39) S

:)

You forgot about Bama's Punter :ols:

Kidding aside, they are absolutely loaded for next year

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

You forgot about Bama's Punter :ols:

Kidding aside, they are absolutely loaded for next year

That list doesn't even include Cameron Latu, Jahmyr Gibbs, Jermaine Burton or Tyler Steen... who are all offensive players transferring in. And I'm pretty sure there are some defenders transferring in as well... I just haven't gotten there yet. 

• Like 1