Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

It's what Cooley said once.  As much as he loved to scout players for the media as to the draft/FA, etc -- he said the #1 thing he'd look for if he was a professional GM was do they love football.  He said as a player more teammates he had than not actually didn't love the sport but did it more to make a living and he thought that limited their ceiling.  The ones who loved the game had an edge.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

23 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It's what Cooley said once.  As much as he loved to scout players for the media as to the draft/FA, etc -- he said the #1 thing he'd look for if he was a professional GM was do they love football.  He said as a player more teammates he had than not actually didn't love the sport but did it more to make a living and he thought that limited their ceiling.  The ones who loved the game had an edge.

Unfortunately you find that out pretty much last about a player in the scouting timeline unless you have well connected scouts to said players you have interest in from tape watching

A dude i've watched for years and talked aboout prematurely on the draft threads at the time, finally elgible to be drafted.  He's IMO been their best TE for years.   He might start off as my #1 draft crush to start the season, i feel vested in watching him so much already, 

Also with his name think of the fun come Halloween time?  His name being close enough to Myers

• Like 1

My early thoughts on QBs based on going through a lot of them watching 2022 QB possibilities:

Stroud and Young are great. Stroud scares me a little as Ohio State QBs are rarely meeting the hype in the NFL. Something about that Todd Day offense results in endless wide open deep shots and inflates stats and hype. But he certainly has tools.

Not impressed with McKee. 

KJ Jefferson is interesting. Huge guy who plants his feet in the pocket and doesn't move. Have never really seen a QB as still in the pocket as he is. Not sure how that footwork will translate but good arm.

Really liked Hendon Hooker. He completely outplayed Corral in the Tenn-Ole Miss game last year. Real good arm, decent athlete, and looked like a good decision maker 

Liked Grayson McCall too. Not sure why he isn't getting more mention. Also like the lefty at UVA.

Haener and Jurkovec both scream  "career backup" to me. And Rattler....don't get me started. He's an UDFA for me.

Edited by Rolo Tomasie
  • Like 1

On 5/15/2022 at 2:34 AM, duffy said:

I hope Carson and Sam are complete failures and we draft this guy 

In the 70's there was a famous dc pimp used to hang out on K street with the monicker, General Booty.

He had a whole costume complete with an officer's hat, gator boots, a count dracula type cape, a solid brass and bamboo walking stick, a red sash across his waist and a glittering gold puffy shirt with epaulets.

Back in the day the General's bottom "itch" answered to the name Plenty O. Booty. The title fit her well and she was quite an asset.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

On 5/18/2022 at 7:45 AM, Rolo Tomasie said:

My early thoughts on QBs based on going through a lot of them watching 2022 QB possibilities:

Stroud and Young are great. Stroud scares me a little as Ohio State QBs are rarely meeting the hype in the NFL. Something about that Todd Day offense results in endless wide open deep shots and inflates stats and hype. But he certainly has tools.

KJ Jefferson is interesting. Huge guy who plants his feet in the pocket and doesn't move. Have never really seen a QB as still in the pocket as he is. Not sure how that footwork will translate but good arm.

Really liked Hendon Hooker. He completely outplayed Corral in the Tenn-Ole Miss game last year. Real good arm, decent athlete, and looked like a good decision maker 

Liked Grayson McCall too. Not sure why he isn't getting more mention. Also like the lefty at UVA.

Haener and Jurkovec both scream  "career backup" to me. And Rattler....don't get me started. He's an UDFA for me.

No Levis on your list? 

On 5/18/2022 at 7:45 AM, Rolo Tomasie said:

Any thoughts on Taulia Tagovailoa?   I thought Taulia was pretty good last year (the best QB Maryland has had in 20 years) other than the one blow up game he had against Iowa where he threw 1 TD and 5 Interceptions (Maryland incredibly lost the turnover battle 7-0 in the 51-14 loss).   He had a pretty good 1-2 receiving core in Dontay Demus and Rakim Jarrett last year, but Demus was lost midseason to an ACL tear and he continued to play well.   He had a mediocre O-Line, not terrible, but bottom half of the Big 10.  All 5 O-line starters return, plus they get Demus and Jarrett back (not 100% sure Demus will be ready for game 1 in his ACL tear recovery, but we'll see), plus a dynamic WR transfer in Jacob Copeland who had 640 receiving yards for the Florida Gators last year.  So if everybody stays healthy, I think Taulia could put together like a 35 TD year.  I figure he'll have a shot to be in that second or third tier of QB's.

A couple other QB's who intrigue me some as prospects are the left hander at UVA and Devin Leary at NC State.   They are a couple other guys who could be in that second team.

Lia is small and has a weak NFL arm. Hes a fringe day 3 guy at best. 

If were looking at QBs its because Wentz failed and we need to be looking at the top guys as if Howell doesnt exist because from a statistical standpoint howell has no chance. So I wouldnt bother watching anything other than the top guys.

Edited by Zim489

1 hour ago, Zim489 said:

Lia is small and has a weak NFL arm. Hes a fringe day 3 guy at best. 

If were looking at QBs its because Wentz failed and we need to be looking at the top guys as if Howell doesnt exist because from a statistical standpoint howell has no chance. So I wouldnt bother watching anything other than the top guys.

Agree about Taulia being undersized and not having an NFL starter arm, but he is a really good college QB.  He is kind of what NFL teams look for in backups--a game manager.

The 2023 is far enough away that a lot of things could happen, but to me Stroud and Young look like the high end guys right now.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This is definitely my guy from the stand point that I commented about him 2 seasons ago, stood our, let alone now heading into this season, stud.  But the last time i was long on a player for multiple years, it was Devonta Smith and he's now an Eagle so I'll try not to get too attached. 😧

• Like 3

On 5/19/2022 at 9:44 PM, CommanderInTheRye said:

In the 70's there was a famous dc pimp used to hang out on K street with the monicker, General Booty.

He had a whole costume complete with an officer's hat, gator boots, a count dracula type cape, a solid brass and bamboo walking stick, a red sash across his waist and a glittering gold puffy shirt with epaulets.

Back in the day the General's bottom "itch" answered to the name Plenty O. Booty. The title fit her well and she was quite an asset.

This belongs in the new mascot thread 

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Zim489 said:

So whats our needs prediction right now?

For me its MLB CB G FS. This is of course assuming that Wentz is to a meh level at worst. If hes bad QB is back to the top again for like the 7th straight year. 

I’ll go with premier positions of CB and OT initially via the draft. 

We are almost certainly going to need a couple of LBs too at some stage.

18 hours ago, Zim489 said:

So whats our needs prediction right now?

For me its MLB CB G FS. This is of course assuming that Wentz is to a meh level at worst. If hes bad QB is back to the top again for like the 7th straight year. 

Sounds about right as for MLB, CB, G, FS.  D line depth. 

If Wentz doesn't work out and Howell doesn't look like the guy supposedly this is the dream draft in theory right now for QB. 

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sounds about right as for MLB, CB, G, FS.  D line depth. 

If Wentz doesn't work out and Howell doesn't look like the guy supposedly this is the dream draft in theory right now for QB. 

At this point its hard to tell how deep the QB's will be this draft.  Both CJ Stroud and Bryce Young look like top 10 guys.   After that there are a bunch of guys with potential but its difficult to tell how many of them will emerge as legitimate potential first round guys.

As a Maryland fan, I am glad to see Jaelyn Duncan getting love.  He is definitely progressed.  His senior year there was debate about how was the best offensive tackle prospect in the state of Maryland, him or Rasheed Walker.   Then Duncan redshirted, then started as a RS Freshman in 2019 and was pretty meh.  He flashed some potential, but was inconsistent and wasn't one of the better tackles in the conference.   But he improved some from 2019 to 2020 and from 2020 to 2021.  If he improves from 2021 to 2022 he could be one of the best tackles in the conference and potentially the country but he still needs to get more consistent in order to reach that level.

2 hours ago, philibusters said:

At this point its hard to tell how deep the QB's will be this draft.  Both CJ Stroud and Bryce Young look like top 10 guys.   After that there are a bunch of guys with potential but its difficult to tell how many of them will emerge as legitimate potential first round guys.

Im with you on depth. Stroud and Young will both be top 5 guys assuming normal progression and no injuries. Beyond that there could be 1-4 guys that all could be considered for some points of the first. One of the weirdest drafts I can remember for actual placement of the QBs. Couldnt be surprised if 1-2 of them push to the top 5. Also wouldnt be surprised if the next QB after bryce and young end up in the mid to late 20s. 

2 hours ago, philibusters said:

As a Maryland fan, I am glad to see Jaelyn Duncan getting love.  He is definitely progressed.  His senior year there was debate about how was the best offensive tackle prospect in the state of Maryland, him or Rasheed Walker.   Then Duncan redshirted, then started as a RS Freshman in 2019 and was pretty meh.  He flashed some potential, but was inconsistent and wasn't one of the better tackles in the conference.   But he improved some from 2019 to 2020 and from 2020 to 2021.  If he improves from 2021 to 2022 he could be one of the best tackles in the conference and potentially the country but he still needs to get more consistent in order to reach that level.

I love me some duncan as well also as a Terps fan. A lot of good terp talent this year. Could have end up having like 6-7 guys in the top 100. Duncan, the 3 WRs, both CBs could be fantastic, as well as Nchami if he plays like hes capable of playing.

1 hour ago, Zim489 said:

Im with you on depth. Stroud and Young will both be top 5 guys assuming normal progression and no injuries. Beyond that there could be 1-4 guys that all could be considered for some points of the first. One of the weirdest drafts I can remember for actual placement of the QBs. Couldnt be surprised if 1-2 of them push to the top 5. Also wouldnt be surprised if the next QB after bryce and young end up in the mid to late 20s. 

If you take away Stroud and Young this class kind of feels a bit like last year's class at time.   Last year there were about a half dozen prospects who had the potential to be first rounders--guys like Malik Willis, Sam Howell, Kedon Slovis, Spencer Rattler, Desmond Ridder---and I think the assumption was the maybe 2 out of 5 or 6 would continue to develop into first rounders.   None of them did--they all kind of went sideways or regressed---and the only guy who went in the first round---Kenny Pickett, at this time last year was more on the radar as a possible late round guy rather than a guy who could develop into a first rounder.  That said, most years of the 5 or 6 guys getting hype in the offseason as potential first rounders 1 to 2 of them will end up being first rounders.  Last year was odd. But its definitely Stroud and Young---and then a big question mark about who else will develop into that first rounder.

I personally think Bryce Young will never be a good pro. He’s just too small and doesn’t have the mobility of a Kyler Murray. Watching some Alabama games, I don’t think his arm is that strong too. 

Stroud is intriguing (has the size and arm strength you need) but how many Ohio State qbs have done well in the pros? Fields may turn out to be the exception but he certainly didn’t show much in his rookie year. We will see how he does after losing his top targets (Wilson,Olave and Ruckert). 

35 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

I personally think Bryce Young will never be a good pro. He’s just too small and doesn’t have the mobility of a Kyler Murray. Watching some Alabama games, I don’t think his arm is that strong too. 

Stroud is intriguing (has the size and arm strength you need) but how many Ohio State qbs have done well in the pros? Fields may turn out to be the exception but he certainly didn’t show much in his rookie year. We will see how he does after losing his top targets (Wilson,Olave and Ruckert). 

Yeah its hard to be a good pocket passer QB as a shorter QB.  Sam Howell who measured between 6'0 and 6'1 has the same issue, though he is thicker than Young so even if he is only about an inch taller he had 22 or 23 pounds on Young.

• Thumb up 1