Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

12 hours ago, FLSkinz83 said:

How can Florida have a 1st round QB and be unranked?    

In regards to Rivera/Hurney not drafting CB's high...is it really a philosophy?   That would be odd.   CB is a premium position.   

I don't know if it's a philosophy or not.  But it's notable that one of the first moves when Ron got here was to re-sign Fuller to a pretty good contract, and the second year signed probably the consensus best CB on the market.  They also drafted St. Juste with a 3rd round pick.  So I think they value the position.  

I'm not sure if there was a CB at 19 they could have gotten in the 2021 draft, but again, they had just signed WJIII, and still had Fuller.  In 2022, there wanted to focus on offense early. 

3 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I don't know if it's a philosophy or not.  But it's notable that one of the first moves when Ron got here was to re-sign Fuller to a pretty good contract, and the second year signed probably the consensus best CB on the market.  They also drafted St. Juste with a 3rd round pick.  So I think they value the position.  

I'm not sure if there was a CB at 19 they could have gotten in the 2021 draft, but again, they had just signed WJIII, and still had Fuller.  In 2022, there wanted to focus on offense early. 

Some articles years ago were published about how Carolina liked to take certain spots in the first round, D line among them, and they took pride for finding corners in other rounds.  Granted they didn't take a corner in the first which fed that narrative.  But whether that's a philosophy or pure speculation-coincidence, I got no idea. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

13 hours ago, KDawg said:

Sean Tucker may be my favorite back in the class atm. 

I really don't think they are going to re-sign Gibson.  They drafted Robinson to be the first/second down back, they have McKissic as the 3rd down back, and Gibson as the change-of-pace/gadget guy.

I don't know if it's Tucker or somebody else, but I could absolutely see them drafting a RB again next year, and one with a lot of speed. But Gibby would still have a year left on his contract, so the question is, do they draft a RB next year in the mid-rounds, or wait a year.  

13 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

That North Carolina game today was something else ya'll. 63-61 over App state? Crazy stuff.

And it essentially ended on a failed 2 point conversion to tie.  It was like the only defensive play of the entire game.  Good tackle by the NC guy to prevent a tie.  

The ending was wild. With 28 seconds left, down by 8, App State got a 47 yard kick return, 2 pass plays of 27 and 22 yards, and scored a TD, and got the game within 2 with 9 seconds left.  

To bring this back to the Commander's draft for 2023: eliminate all defensive players for either App State or NC.  There was NO defense played this game at all.  

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Some articles years ago were published about how Carolina liked to take certain spots in the first round, D line among them, and they took pride for finding corners in other rounds.  Granted they didn't take a corner in the first which fed that narrative.  But whether that's a philosophy or pure speculation-coincidence, I got no idea. 

Well, with Ron here, they picked Young (DE), Davis (LB), and Dotson (WR) with their 3 first picks.  

So, at the very least, we have a theory with seems to fit the facts.  Which doesn't make it true. 

** I LOVE this line from some movie, "theory which seems to fit the facts."  But I can't for the life of me remember what movie it was.  And every time I use it, I rack my brain trying to think of where I got it from.  And it drives me crazy.  

• Like 1

Cummings’ 2-Round 2023 NFL Mock Draft: Anthony Richardson Starts A New Era

For the last time before the 2022 regular season hits in full swing, let's take a shot at projecting the selections for a 2-round 2023 NFL Mock Draft.

The 2022 college football season is officially here. And with it comes the final preseason 2023 NFL Mock Draft. Past this point, prospects will rise and fall. And soon enough, we’ll have our answers to the 2023 NFL Draft class’ pressing questions. But for the time being, let’s take one last shot in the dark before summer ends and see what might happen seven months down the road.

1) Houston Texans: Will Anderson Jr., EDGE, Alabama

The odds still have the Texans picking first overall, but there is a scenario where Davis Mills earns one more year, even as the team struggles. In that scenario, picking the best overall prospect is the easy choice. And the easy best overall prospect is Will Anderson Jr. His sheer motor will have coaches salivating, while his burst, lateral agility, and play strength all defy physics at their best moments.

2) Atlanta Falcons: Anthony Richardson, QB, Florida

For now, C.J. Stroud and Bryce Young are the top two quarterbacks in the 2023 NFL Draft. But in a best-case scenario, Anthony Richardson has the tools to surpass both of them. Richardson has everything — elite strength and elasticity as a thrower, high-level speed, agility, and creation capacity, with a 6’4″, 230-pound frame. In Atlanta, he has the tools to maximize the passing offense and add a whole new dimension on the ground.

3) Chicago Bears: Paris Johnson Jr., OT, Ohio State

The Bears still have a dire lack of support for Justin Fields. There’s hope that young pieces on offense will show growth in 2021, but Ryan Poles needs to invest more high-end capital on the offensive line. In the 2023 NFL Draft, Paris Johnson Jr. projects to be the runaway OT1. That’s a projection those who’ve watched him are comfortable making. He has elite burst and length, natural leverage acquisition, and excellent football IQ for his age.

4) Detroit Lions: Jalen Carter, DT, Georgia

This is an experimental pick, as the Lions have two first-rounders in this 2023 NFL Mock Draft. What if they waited on a QB and selected another blue-chip prospect here? The possibility of Jalen Carter joining the Lions’ front is certainly enticing. With his explosiveness, violent disposition, and play strength, he’d fit perfectly as a 3-technique alongside Alim McNeill. He and Aidan Hutchinson could wreak havoc in tandem with one another.

5) Seattle Seahawks: C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State

The Seahawks walk into a massive victory here. Starting a mix of Geno Smith and Drew Lock for a season isn’t ideal, but it can allow you to play into position for a QB like C.J. Stroud. There are a few different permutations regarding how the QB class might shake out. But Stroud is my preliminary QB1. He has underrated athleticism and a great arm, and he’s also a superb processor who can use eye manipulation in real time to open windows.

6) New York Jets: Antonio Johnson, DB, Texas A&M

In its purest form, the battle between a passing game and a coverage unit can be reduced to a battle of athleticism and length. Teams that are longer and more athletic tend to pose more of a threat to their opposition. Antonio Johnson builds on the movement that the Jets started with 2022 first-round pick Sauce Gardner in that sense. Johnson is an extremely dynamic and versatile defender at 6’3″, 200 pounds, with the instincts and physicality to be a constant threat.

7) Jacksonville Jaguars: Quentin Johnston, WR, TCU

There are many differing opinions in the WR1 race for the 2023 NFL Draft cycle. But few can dispute the sheer upside that Quentin Johnston possesses. It’s why he’s my preliminary WR1 and why he can be projected this high up the board. Johnston brings high-level instincts, coordination, and hand strength with his 6’4″, 215-pound frame, but he’s also incredibly explosive and agile and has rare three-level upside with his athletic control.

😎 Carolina Panthers: Will Levis, QB, Kentucky

If the Panthers pick eighth as the current odds project, it can be reasonably assumed that the Baker Mayfield experiment wasn’t without its bumps. The Panthers aren’t tied to Mayfield long term, so they can cut ties after the season if things don’t work out. With that outcome, they’ll need to reset at QB. With his high-level physical tools and elite competitive toughness, Will Levis allows them to do that.

9) New York Giants: Bryce Young, QB, Alabama

You might be surprised to see Will Levis ahead of Bryce Young. While Young is commonly regarded as one of the two top QB’s in this class, there may be a conversation down the road about his size. His height isn’t a problem, but at under 200 pounds, some may question his durability. A counterargument is that Kyler Murray went first overall, but that was in a much weaker QB class. Nevertheless, Young has the talent to prove teams wrong if they pass on him. Ironically, he joins the Giants here.

10) Pittsburgh Steelers: Isaiah Foskey, EDGE, Notre Dame

In a perfect world, there’s a squeaky clean offensive tackle prospect the Steelers can take here because they need it. But unfortunately, the value of the board doesn’t play into Pittsburgh’s hands. An alternative is to shift to the other side of the ball, where the EDGE rotation could use another high-level talent alongside T.J. Watt and Alex Highsmith. Isaiah Foskey can take the unit to new heights with his burst, length, and relentless hand usage.

11) Washington Commanders: Noah Sewell, LB, Oregon

Washington’s linebacker room looks far weaker than it should right now. Cole Holcomb is a decent homegrown talent, but Jamin Davis is under pressure after a rough rookie season, and there’s next to nothing outside of them. Noah Sewell can help the Commanders get the most out of their talented defensive line. He’s a well-sized, explosive linebacker who hits with incredible force, shows good instincts, and has the strength to stack and shed blocks.

12) New England Patriots: Kelee Ringo, CB, Georgia

Certain prospects have a floor that they really shouldn’t fall below in early mock drafts. In my opinion, while everything is projective, this is Kelee Ringo‘s floor. Of all the cornerbacks in a stacked 2023 NFL Draft class, he has the best combination of tools and the highest upside as a CB1 candidate. And of all the teams in Round 1, few need true CB talent more than the Patriots. This decision isn’t hard to make.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2-round-2023-nfl-mock-draft-anthony-richardson-starts-a-new-era/?utm_source=ActiveCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=2-Round+2023+NFL+Mock+Draft&utm_campaign=NFL365+-+AdThrive+9%2F4%2F22

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I think Mel/Todd or some combination put up a top 10 prospectes by position on ESPN+ or something (I just saw the alert, not the article.)  It would be really interesting to see what those are now and how they change between the beginning of CFB (this was done BEFORE this weekend) and the draft.  

It seemed to be a pay thing.  Anybody have access?

15 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I think Mel/Todd or some combination put up a top 10 prospectes by position on ESPN+ or something (I just saw the alert, not the article.)  It would be really interesting to see what those are now and how they change between the beginning of CFB (this was done BEFORE this weekend) and the draft.  

It seemed to be a pay thing.  Anybody have access?

_end_rule.png

CONSENSUS TOP 10 OVERALL RANKINGS

RK PROSPECT KIPER MCSHAY REID MILLER AVERAGE
1 Will Anderson Jr., EDGE, Alabama 1 1 1 1 1.0
2 Jalen Carter, DT, Georgia 4 2 2 2 2.5
3 C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State 3 3 4 5 3.8
4 Bryce Young, QB, Alabama 2 4 3 7 4.0
5 Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas 9 8 6 3 6.5
6 Michael Mayer, TE, Notre Dame 7 9 9 4 7.3
T-7 Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR, Ohio State 5 11 8 6 7.5
T-7 Kayshon Boutte, WR, LSU 8 6 5 11 7.5
T-9 Myles Murphy, EDGE, Clemson 16 10 10 10 11.5
T-9 Nolan Smith, EDGE, Georgia 25 5 7 9 11.5

_end_rule.png

TOP FIVE AT EVERY POSITION

Quarterbacks

Kiper

1. Bryce Young, Alabama
2. C.J. Stroud, Ohio State
3. Tyler Van Dyke, Miami
4. Anthony Richardson, Florida
5. Will Levis, Kentucky

McShay

1. C.J. Stroud, Ohio State
2. Bryce Young, Alabama
3. Will Levis, Kentucky
4. Tyler Van Dyke, Miami
5. Anthony Richardson, Florida

Reid

1. Bryce Young, Alabama
2. C.J. Stroud, Ohio State
3. Will Levis, Kentucky
4. Anthony Richardson, Florida
5. Tyler Van Dyke, Miami

Miller

1. C.J. Stroud, Ohio State
2. Bryce Young, Alabama
3. Will Levis, Kentucky
4. Tyler Van Dyke, Miami
5. Aidan O'Connell, Purdue

Running backs

Kiper

1. Bijan Robinson, Texas
2. Jahmyr Gibbs, Alabama
3. Devon Achane, Texas A&M
4. Zach Evans, Ole Miss
5. Tank Bigsby, Auburn

McShay

1. Bijan Robinson, Texas
2. Jahmyr Gibbs, Alabama
3. Kenny McIntosh, Georgia
4. Sean Tucker, Syracuse
5. Rasheen Ali, Marshall

Reid

1. Bijan Robinson, Texas
2. Jahmyr Gibbs, Alabama
3. Zach Evans, Ole Miss
4. Kenny McIntosh, Georgia
5. Devon Achane, Texas A&M

Miller

1. Bijan Robinson, Texas
2. Jahmyr Gibbs, Alabama
3. Kenny McIntosh, Georgia
4. Sean Tucker, Syracuse
5. Devon Achane, Texas A&M

Fullbacks/H-backs

Kiper

1. Arik Gilbert, Georgia
2. Jaheim Bell, South Carolina
3. Jahleel Billingsley, Texas

McShay

1. Masen Wake, BYU
2. Dominic Roberto, Furman
3. Daniel Parker, Oklahoma

Reid

1. Jaheim Bell, South Carolina
2. Dalton Kincaid, Utah
3. Hunter Luepke, North Dakota State

Miller

1. Arik Gilbert, Georgia
2. Jaheim Bell, South Carolina
3. Austin Stogner, South Carolina

Wide receivers

Kiper

1. Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Ohio State
2. Kayshon Boutte, LSU
3. Jordan Addison, USC
4. Josh Downs, North Carolina
5. Quentin Johnston, TCU

McShay

1. Kayshon Boutte, LSU
2. Jordan Addison, USC
3. Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Ohio State
4. Jermaine Burton, Alabama
5. Josh Downs, North Carolina

Reid

1. Kayshon Boutte, LSU
2. Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Ohio State
3. Jordan Addison, USC
4. Quentin Johnston, TCU

Miller

1. Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Ohio State
2. Kayshon Boutte, LSU
3. Jordan Addison, USC
4. Jermaine Burton, Alabama

Tight ends

Kiper

1. Michael Mayer, Notre Dame
2. Sam LaPorta, Iowa
3. Dalton Kincaid, Utah
4. Benjamin Yurosek, Stanford
5. Will Mallory, Miami

McShay

2. Arik Gilbert, Georgia
3. Sam LaPorta, Iowa
4. Jaheim Bell, South Carolina
5. Darnell Washington, Georgia

Reid

2. Arik Gilbert, Georgia
3. Tucker Kraft, South Dakota State
4. Sam LaPorta, Iowa
5. Darnell Washington, Georgia

Miller

2. Sam LaPorta, Iowa
3. Darnell Washington, Georgia
4. Josh Whyle, Cincinnati
5. Luke Musgrave, Oregon State

Offensive tackles

Kiper

1. Peter Skoronski, Northwestern
2. Paris Johnson Jr., Ohio State
3. Blake Freeland, BYU
4. Broderick Jones, Georgia
5. Jaelyn Duncan, Maryland

McShay

1. Paris Johnson Jr., Ohio State
2. Peter Skoronski, Northwestern
3. Jaelyn Duncan, Maryland
4. Ryan Hayes, Michigan
5. Broderick Jones, Georgia

Reid

2. Jaelyn Duncan, Maryland
3. Paris Johnson Jr., Ohio State
4. Anton Harrison, Oklahoma
5. Broderick Jones, Georgia

Miller

2. Paris Johnson Jr., Ohio State
3. Zion Nelson, Miami-FL
4. Anton Harrison, Oklahoma
5. Luke Haggard, Indiana

Guards

Kiper

1. Layden Robinson, Texas A&M
2. Christian Mahogany, Boston College
3. Andrew Vorhees, USC
4. Braeden Daniels, Utah
5. O'Cyrus Torrence, Florida

McShay

2. O'Cyrus Torrence, Florida
3. Luke Wypler, Ohio State
4. Emil Ekiyor Jr., Alabama
5. Andrew Vorhees, USC

Reid

2. Cooper Beebe, Kansas State
3. Andrew Vorhees, USC
4. O'Cyrus Torrence, Florida
5. Javion Cohen, Alabama

Miller

1. O'Cyrus Torrence, Florida
2. Emil Ekiyor Jr., Alabama
3. Layden Robinson, Texas A&M
4. Christian Mahogany, Boston College
5. Braeden Daniels, Utah

Centers

Kiper

1. John Michael Schmitz, Minnesota
2. Jarrett Patterson, Notre Dame
3. Sedrick Van Pran, Georgia
4. Olusegun Oluwatimi, Michigan
5. Alex Forsyth, Oregon

McShay

2. Sedrick Van Pran, Georgia
3. Steve Avila, TCU
4. Jarrett Patterson, Notre Dame
5. Olusegun Oluwatimi, Michigan

Reid

3. Ricky Stromberg, Arkansas
4. Steve Avila, TCU
5. Olusegun Oluwatimi, Michigan

Miller

3. Kingsley Eguakun, Florida
4. Jarrett Patterson, Notre Dame
5. Nick Brahms, Auburn

Defensive ends

Kiper

1. Will Anderson Jr., Alabama
2. Myles Murphy, Clemson
3. Felix Anudike-Uzomah, Kansas State
4. Zach Harrison, Ohio State
5. Habakkuk Baldonado, Pittsburgh

McShay

1. Myles Murphy, Clemson
2. Isaiah Foskey, Notre Dame
3. Ali Gaye, LSU
4. Will McDonald IV, Iowa State
5. Zach Harrison, Ohio State

Reid

2. Myles Murphy, Clemson
3. Isaiah Foskey, Notre Dame
4. Tyree Wilson, Texas Tech
5. Felix Anudike-Uzomah, Kansas State

Miller

1. Myles Murphy, Clemson
3. Andre Carter II, Army
4. Tyree Wilson, Texas Tech
5. Felix Anudike-Uzomah, Kansas State

Outside linebackers

Kiper

1. Andre Carter II, Army
3. Trenton Simpson, Clemson
4. BJ Ojulari, LSU
5. Nolan Smith, Georgia

McShay

2. Nolan Smith, Georgia
3. Andre Carter II, Army
4. BJ Ojulari, LSU
5. Zion Tupuola-Fetui, Washington

Reid

1. Nolan Smith, Georgia
2. Trenton Simpson, Clemson
3. Isaiah Foskey, Notre Dame
4. Andre Carter II, Army
5. BJ Ojulari, LSU

Miller

2. Nolan Smith, Georgia
3. Will McDonald IV, Iowa State
4. BJ Ojulari, LSU
5. Ali Gaye, LSU

Defensive tackles

Kiper

1. Jalen Carter, Georgia
2. Bryan Bresee, Clemson
3. Siaki Ika, Baylor
4. Gervon Dexter Sr., Florida
5. Jaquelin Roy, LSU

McShay

1. Jalen Carter, Georgia
2. Bryan Bresee, Clemson
3. Keeanu Benton, Wisconsin
4. Calijah Kancey, Pittsburgh
5. Siaki Ika, Baylor

Reid

1. Jalen Carter, Georgia
2. Bryan Bresee, Clemson
3. Siaki Ika, Baylor
4. Gervon Dexter Sr., Florida
5. Keeanu Benton, Wisconsin

Miller

1. Jalen Carter, Georgia
2. Bryan Bresee, Clemson
3. Siaki Ika, Baylor
4. Jaquelin Roy, LSU
5. Keeanu Benton, Wisconsin

Inside linebackers

Kiper

1. Noah Sewell, Oregon
2. Jack Campbell, Iowa
3. Henry To'oTo'o, Alabama
4. Owen Pappoe, Auburn
5. Edefuan Ulofoshio, Washington

McShay

1. Noah Sewell, Oregon
2. Henry To'oTo'o, Alabama
3. Trenton Simpson, Clemson
4. DeMarvion Overshown, Texas
5. Jack Campbell, Iowa

Reid

1. Noah Sewell, Oregon
2. Henry To'oTo'o, Alabama
3. Owen Pappoe, Auburn
4. Jack Campbell, Iowa
5. DeMarvion Overshown, Texas

Miller

1. Noah Sewell, Oregon
2. Trenton Simpson, Clemson
3. Henry To'oTo'o, Alabama
4. Jack Campbell, Iowa
5. DeMarvion Overshown, Texas

Cornerbacks

Kiper

1. Cam Smith, South Carolina
2. Kelee Ringo, Georgia
3. Eli Ricks, Alabama
4. Clark Phillips III, Utah
5. Kyu Blu Kelly, Stanford

McShay

1. Kelee Ringo, Georgia
2. Cam Smith, South Carolina
3. Joey Porter Jr., Penn State
4. Tyrique Stevenson, Miami
5. Storm Duck, North Carolina

Reid

1. Kelee Ringo, Georgia
3. Christian Gonzalez, Oregon
4. Eli Ricks, Alabama
5. Clark Phillips III, Utah

Miller

1. Kelee Ringo, Georgia
3. Joey Porter Jr., Penn State
4. Clark Phillips III, Utah
5. Eli Ricks, Alabama

Safeties

Kiper

1. Antonio Johnson, Texas A&M
2. Brandon Joseph, Notre Dame
3. Jordan Battle, Alabama
4. Jalen Catalon, Arkansas
5. Brian Branch, Alabama

McShay

1. Jordan Battle, Alabama
3. Antonio Johnson, Texas A&M
5. Jammie Robinson, Florida State

Reid

1. Antonio Johnson, Texas A&M
2. Jordan Battle, Alabama
3. JL Skinner, Boise State
4. Brandon Joseph, Notre Dame
5. Jalen Catalon, Arkansas

Miller

1. Jordan Battle, Alabama
3. Antonio Johnson, Texas A&M
5. JL Skinner, Boise State

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2023/insider/story/_/id/34501545/nfl-draft-rankings-2023-top-prospects-position-consensus-top-10-overall-mel-kiper-todd-mcshay-matt-miller-jordan-reid

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 thoughts:

1. We should draft Bijan Robinson at RB just so we have 2 B. Robinson's on the team.  The defense won't know what hit them.  In fact, as part of the BPA formula, I suggest adding a bonus point for "has last name Robinson."  It should be a factor in draft evaluation. 

2. I watched a some of the first half of the Ohio State vs. ND game.  Stroud didn't look great.  Granted, it was the first half of the first game of the season, and given they pulled away in the end, maybe he looked better in the second half.  

3. The top 2 QB prospects are from Ohio State and Alabama.  I absolutely do not believe what past players from a school did should influence the evaluation of a current player.  Having said that, I do think it's fair to at least look to see if the player is elevated mostly because of the program and players around them, or because they are that good.  And that's true for ALL players at the elite programs.  I also get that at times it becomes chicken or the egg.  But we have evidence from Tua, Mac Jones, Haskins and Fields that players from those elite programs who played at an elite level in college haven't yet hit that same level of elite play in the NFL.   Though, we also have seen Burrow, who was outstanding at LSU, has also been outstanding in the NFL.  So again, it's just worth noting and paying attention to.  

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

3 thoughts:

1. We should draft Bijan Robinson at RB just so we have 2 B. Robinson's on the team.  The defense won't know what hit them.  In fact, as part of the BPA formula, I suggest adding a bonus point for "has last name Robinson."  It should be a factor in draft evaluation. 

Bijan as some say is as hyped as Barkley was coming out before the draft.  But yeah Brian and Bijan would make a cool T-shirt. 

36 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

Gut feeling - Richardson will battle Young and Stroud for #1.   

I think he’s going to definitely be in the running. Another name people are sleeping on is Tyler Van Dyke.

Also keep in mind… this year may be the first time a draft class is really effected by NIL. Some of these guys may not come out because they stand to make more in college than the NFL next season. Will be interesting. 

9 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Shouldn't he just sit out and train for the draft?

I don’t think the transfer portal should even be admissible in the middle of the season. And beyond that, players should only be able to transfer once and it should have to be in one of two week long transfer windows.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

3 thoughts:

2. I watched a some of the first half of the Ohio State vs. ND game.  Stroud didn't look great.  Granted, it was the first half of the first game of the season, and given they pulled away in the end, maybe he looked better in the second half.  

3. The top 2 QB prospects are from Ohio State and Alabama.  I absolutely do not believe what past players from a school did should influence the evaluation of a current player.  Having said that, I do think it's fair to at least look to see if the player is elevated mostly because of the program and players around them, or because they are that good.  And that's true for ALL players at the elite programs.  I also get that at times it becomes chicken or the egg.  But we have evidence from Tua, Mac Jones, Haskins and Fields that players from those elite programs who played at an elite level in college haven't yet hit that same level of elite play in the NFL.   Though, we also have seen Burrow, who was outstanding at LSU, has also been outstanding in the NFL.  So again, it's just worth noting and paying attention to.  

I find it interesting that you put Mac Jones on the flop list.  As a rookie with average weapons, he had a solid season.  This year will be interesting for Tua and Fields.  I think Tua got the better shot at success because the players around him are so much better.  He has one of the best receiving corps and a much improved O-Line (last year in fairness to Tua he had a bottom 5 O-Line but they upgraded three of the starters.)  No excuses for Tua anymore.  By contrast, Fields has a bottom 5 receiving group and bottom 5ish O-Line.   Not a fair year to evaluate him, but I don't expect him to have much success.

40 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

Gut feeling - Richardson will battle Young and Stroud for #1.   

I think at least one, if not 2 of the QBs who are hyped as #1 material are going to falter at some point this season and start to fall a bit down the draft boards.  

I don't know who.  But I just have a feeling, and having watched a little bit of them, I think there might be some excessive hype which is overblown.  

We'll see.  

5 minutes ago, philibusters said:

I find it interesting that you put Mac Jones on the flop list.  As a rookie with average weapons, he had a solid season.  This year will be interesting for Tua and Fields.  I think Tua got the better shot at success because the players around him are so much better.  He has one of the best receiving corps and a much improved O-Line (last year in fairness to Tua he had a bottom 5 O-Line but they upgraded three of the starters.)  No excuses for Tua anymore.  By contrast, Fields has a bottom 5 receiving group and bottom 5ish O-Line.   Not a fair year to evaluate him, but I don't expect him to have much success.

It wasn't a "flop list."  What I said is we haven't seen it yet.  I said they hadn't shown the elite level play they demonstrated in college.  Which I think is true. I definitely don't think he flashed as much as Burrow or Herbert in their rookie years, for example.  

Fields is in a bad spot, for sure, definitely the worst of that group.  

Michael Mayer that's my dude from day 1 before studying this new crop.  He kept popping for me for years as I watched Notre Dame.  So I'd dig it.

Michael Mayer

2023 NFL Mock Draft: Crabbs 2.0

NFL Mock Draft

1. Houston Texans

Will Anderson Jr. 

EDGE, Alabama

As much as it pains me to keep the Texans out of the quarterback rat race that is about to unfold behind them, Houston has a luxury that many teams don’t… time. The team is sitting on a treasure trove of draft picks, is likely to continue to be non-competitive as they continue their rebuild, and possesses a roster that is currently devoid of talent. Let’s avoid the year-two hardships we expect in Chicago for Justin Fields and make sure when we draft a quarterback, we’re ready to accommodate him. That makes Will Anderson Jr., the No. 1 player eligible for this year’s draft, the obvious choice to get things started.

NFL Mock Draft

2. Atlanta Falcons

Anthony Richardson 

QB, Florida

Surprise! I’ll tell you this… if Anthony Richardson plays to the standard that he set this weekend against a very good Utah defense, I have a hard time believing the NFL will showcase any level of restraint with his evaluation. The dude was like Superman against the Utes. I’ll be honest, I came into this season needing to see more from Richardson. “He’s only thrown 66 pass attempts, I need a bigger sample size,” I said. Well, I got one. And boy was that a fun display.

Is this a bit of a knee-jerk reaction? Probably. But he’s got a head-to-head showcase against Will Levis this weekend (which I expect Florida to win) and September is the time of year when early narratives are carved. So why is Atlanta ready to take a quarterback? Because Arthur Smith won’t have much time to fix things if the Falcons regress to owning the No. 2 overall pick in year two of his regime after trading away Matt Ryan.

NFL Mock Draft

3. Seattle Seahawks

CJ Stroud 

QB, Ohio State

Seattle at No. 3 overall was a team that I strongly considered for Georgia IDL Jalen Carter. But then I asked myself if Seattle was in the same shoes as Houston with the need to be patient. And I don’t think that’s the case. I think the defense will be pretty good (although they are young) and the skill positions are at a point where they’re ready to compete. Oh, right, and they just drafted bookend tackles. Yeah.

So why CJ Stroud? I know the team has played with a shorter quarterback before in Russell Wilson, but do they want to go that route AGAIN with Bryce Young? Maybe not. And for that reason, I gave them Stroud.

NFL Mock Draft

4. Chicago Bears

Peter Skoronski 

OT, Northwestern

This will continue to be a “draft the best fit on the offensive line you can find” spot. Justin Fields has shown a lot of bright flashes this preseason, but how frequent will the flashes be when we’re playing for keeps? How do we get the flashes to be more frequent? By improving the cast around him. General manager Ryan Poles, as a former offensive lineman himself, will surely value the opportunity to land a pass protector for his quarterback.

NFL Mock Draft

5. New York Giants

Will Levis 

QB, Kentucky

This pick stays chalk from my first NFL mock draft to my second, and it all goes back to the brain trust in New York trying to find their own version of Josh Allen. Will Levis has a lot of the same kinds of tools in his bag and the Giants need to find an identity and a direction. This puts those two things in line with the areas of importance for Brian Daboll and Joe Schoen.

NFL Mock Draft

6. Carolina Panthers

Bryce Young 

QB, Alabama

You better believe Carolina is going to jump at a quarterback if they get the chance after all this hoopla and investment in signal-callers. If the Panthers finish at No. 6 overall, odds are Baker Mayfield couldn’t stave off the issues in Charlotte. And whether the team is ready for a quarterback or not (I think they are from a talent perspective), they’ll be picking one.

NFL Mock Draft

7. Jacksonville Jaguars

Jalen Carter 

IDL, Georgia

Poor, poor Jalen Carter. My guy did nothing aside from serving a key role in destroying and disassembling the Oregon Ducks on Saturday afternoon and he falls from No. 2 overall to No. 7 overall in my update. But let me be clear: Carter might be the second-best prospect overall in this year’s draft and his slide here is because of the quarterback run more than anything else.

For Jacksonville, the team gets a disruptive presence up front to pair with all the defensive additions this past offseason, giving the team a more well-rounded pressure group to attack opposing offenses.

NFL Mock Draft

8. Detroit Lions

Myles Murphy 

EDGE, Clemson

Aidan Hutchinson and Myles Murphy? Detroit is suddenly very much cooking with gas. Yes, the team has Charles Harris. Yes, the team drafted Josh Paschal on day two. No, neither of those two players are stopping me from bringing in Murphy and assembling a duo that can threaten Aaron Rodgers, Kirk Cousins, and Justin Fields on every play in the NFC North.

Detroit is just now turning the corner out of being a team that is building a foundation and instead is ready to create a winning edge. This can be it.

NFL Mock Draft

9. New York Jets

Kelee Ringo 

CB, Georgia

The Jets adding Kelee Ringo one year after adding Ahmad “Sauce” Gardner is the same spirit as the Lions drafting Murphy a year after Hutchinson. Gardner and DJ Reed are a fine cornerback duo, but Ringo’s skill set paired with Gardner’s outside frees Reed up to play inside, where his stature and play can be more dynamic. And that, my friends, is creating a winning edge. The athleticism and size of the perimeter players in Gardner and Ringo are hard to overlook.

NFL Mock Draft

10. Washington Commanders

Michael Mayer 

TE, Notre Dame

Logan Thomas has been a productive player when he’s been on the field and Washington is carrying three other tight ends: John Bates and rookies Cole Turner, and Armani Rodgers. But hear me out: Washington could transition away from Thomas for just $3.5M in dead cap this offseason and get an upgrade at the position.

Michael Mayer is a proven volume target—Thomas has caught more than 18 passes just once in his career. If Carson Wentz is going to stick, he’ll need a player at tight end to lean on. Mayer can be it.

41 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

If we’re picking #10 I don’t want a TE however highly touted he may be. 

They won’t take a TE in the top 10. It’s a virtual lock it won’t happen.

LB, QB, CB, S and maybe OT if we finish in that 10 spot, all circumstantial.

LB would be a major spot to upgrade. 

I also wouldn’t rule out DL if our guys underperform again… and when I say DL I mean Edge

3 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

If we’re picking #10 I don’t want a TE however highly touted he may be. 

I doubt Michael Mayer goes that high.  I haven't watched yet most of the top prospects so am far from ready to compare.  But I have watched plenty of Michael Mayer.  And the dude IMO is special.  Can do it all.