Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

13 hours ago, Ball Security said:

Seeing Merlin Roberson sparks a question.  He’s coming back for a fifth year evidently.  I was wondering why I didn’t see his names on draft boards.  Does that mean all college players in 2020 can get a fifth year?  So if you graduated HS in 2018, and redshirted in 2019, you have eligibility through the 2024 season?  If so, are we going to still have 24 year olds coming out in the next three drafts?

I believe all athletes were given an extra year of eligibility.

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

With all their sniffing around hybrid defenders and hyping up the Buffalo nickel (supposedly the previous draft they strongly toyed with JOK, this time strongly Hamilton among others) do they finallly stop talking about it and actually do it?

I really like him.  Part of that ridiculous 2020 recruiting class where Clemson also got Myles Murphy and Brian Bresee.  Between those three plus getting Xavier Thomas to come back, Clemson has four potential first rounders in their defensive front.  If they can get their offense back, they're going to be tough.  It's not a lock that any of the true juniors come out in this year's class though, as Clemson tends to get their guys to stay for their Senior seasons.

Of that entire group, #22 is my favorite.  He's definitely a rush linebacker and not a safety hybrid like Isaiah Simmons was, but his versatility comes from the way you can move him around in your front--he can play from a three or four point stance if need be, and rush from any gap.  I like him as a "LEO" type of versatile front defender, much like Dan Quinn used Micah Parsons last season.  It'd be nice to have a linebacker with 10+ sack potential to stick between or around our DLs.  He's got that special knack for finishing plays that really makes him stand out from a very crowded group of five stars and great college players in that front.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Going Commando said:

I really like him.  Part of that ridiculous 2020 recruiting class where Clemson also got Myles Murphy and Brian Bresee.  Between those three plus getting Xavier Thomas to come back, Clemson has four potential first rounders in their defensive front.  If they can get their offense back, they're going to be tough.  It's not a lock that any of the true juniors come out in this year's class though, as Clemson tends to get their guys to stay for their Senior seasons.

Of that entire group, #22 is my favorite.  He's definitely a rush linebacker and not a safety hybrid like Isaiah Simmons was, but his versatility comes from the way you can move him around in your front--he can play from a three or four point stance if need be, and rush from any gap.  I like him as a "LEO" type of versatile front defender, much like Dan Quinn used Micah Parsons last season.  It'd be nice to have a linebacker with 10+ sack potential to stick between or around our DLs.  He's got that special knack for finishing plays that really makes him stand out from a very crowded group of five stars and great college players in that front.

Interesting.  I haven't watched him yet but the profile intrigues me.  ditto your description of him. 

5 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Yup, I have him #5 overall on my LB list but he is absolutely a front guy more than a coverage guy. I watched a clip where he was in man, turned the total wrong way, by mistake saw it was outside run because his man coverage technique was poor, filled the alley and hit the back for a 2 yard loss. Dude is quick twitch and fun to watch. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

You can already tell that next year's draft will have much more elite talent than this year's draft.  

Maybe. Not all of these guys will come out, either. So you can’t ever really tell.

On 5/7/2022 at 12:49 PM, Zim489 said:

It would be some hesitation but his whole family was exactly the same 

That's maddening. Ruining their kid's chance at success because they want to puff their chest out before he's done anything. 

40 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

That's maddening. Ruining their kid's chance at success because they want to puff their chest out before he's done anything. 

Yeah I remember watching the show and was like "god this kid is so unlikeable" and then they start showing more of his family and you think "Well it all makes sense now"

On 5/9/2022 at 3:33 PM, Zim489 said:

QB vs non QB. Just like TL was the number pick from high school. The same for Caleb. 

I don't think he's as good as Bryce Young or C.J Stroud. Gun to my head May 2022 I see them as picks 1,2 with some elite defensive prospects to follow. 

10 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

I don't think he's as good as Bryce Young or C.J Stroud. Gun to my head May 2022 I see them as picks 1,2 with some elite defensive prospects to follow. 

Caleb imo is better than any QB prospect for any QB over the last 5 years outside of TLaw

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yup. Once I finish watching everyone on my lists (gonna be a bit) I’m going to put together a “way too early” list for guys I like.

Battle is 100% going to be on it. 

• Like 2

On 5/9/2022 at 1:38 PM, Going Commando said:

He briefly was committed to UNC…sigh 

It’s clear positional value has completely taken over, in particular top half of the first. It is more influential than ever, somewhat driven by majority contract values.

QB, WR, OT, Edge, CB - premium positions

RB, TE, IOL, IDL, LB, S, - next tier. Special teams thereafter.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

It’s clear positional value has completely taken over, in particular top half of the first. It is more influential than ever, somewhat driven by majority contract values.

QB, WR, OT, Edge, CB - premium positions

It makes sense with the Salary cap and the impact of the players aligning with them. If you hit on them its instantly one of the best contracts in the league never minding that those 5 positions matter more than the others. 

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

That is insane if true.  10.7 at that size in regular shoes?

Wonder why he wasn't productive last year?

Should see this kid. HS Class of 2023

Edited by Zim489
  • Like 3

On 5/1/2022 at 7:40 PM, KDawg said:

Here's my "way too early to really call it a ranking/I only watched portions of games to familiarize myself with them" top 10 QBs and RBs:

image.png.a9b6eca63fba311b890e6ad42c670ded.png

Any thoughts on Tanner McKee from Stanford?

35 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

Any thoughts on Tanner McKee from Stanford?

Haven’t watched him yet but I think he’s on one of my “to watch” lists. Getting through my first then my second then third. Corners and safeties left on list one.

• Like 1