Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

1 minute ago, philibusters said:

Yeah its hard to be a good pocket passer QB as a shorter QB.  Sam Howell who measured between 6'0 and 6'1 has the same issue, though he is thicker than Young so even if he is only about an inch taller he had 22 or 23 pounds on Young.

Yup Young is barely 200lbs. He’s just too frail and will never be able to take the pounding in the pros. Russell is thick so a bit different and I think Murray is one big hit away from never being the same. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, philibusters said:

If you take away Stroud and Young this class kind of feels a bit like last year's class at time.   Last year there were about a half dozen prospects who had the potential to be first rounders--guys like Malik Willis, Sam Howell, Kedon Slovis, Spencer Rattler, Desmond Ridder---and I think the assumption was the maybe 2 out of 5 or 6 would continue to develop into first rounders.   None of them did--they all kind of went sideways or regressed---and the only guy who went in the first round---Kenny Pickett, at this time last year was more on the radar as a possible late round guy rather than a guy who could develop into a first rounder.  That said, most years of the 5 or 6 guys getting hype in the offseason as potential first rounders 1 to 2 of them will end up being first rounders.  Last year was odd. But its definitely Stroud and Young---and then a big question mark about who else will develop into that first rounder.

Even with out those two I think its significantly better than last years class. The guys this year actually have top end potential where I didnt think any of those guys sans Willis did. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Zim489 said:

Even with out those two I think its significantly better than last years class. The guys this year actually have top end potential where I didnt think any of those guys sans Willis did. 

At this time last year, I thought Howell, Rattler, Willis, and even Kedon Slovis had that high end potential because I was seeing content put out hyping them up.  With hindsight they all went sideways or regressed a bit, but I think most people assumed 2 or 3 QBs would go in the top 10 even if they were not sure exactly which ones it would be.

What QB's do you like this year?

It won’t just be about positional need, it’ll be about money/salary cap management moving forward. Orlando Brown just turned down 6yr/140mil, I think getting an elite tackle prospect on the roster in 2023 would be a wise move, especially if we are deemed set at QB following the season.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

It won’t just be about positional need, it’ll be about money/salary cap management moving forward. Orlando Brown just turned down 6yr/140mil, I think getting an elite tackle prospect on the roster in 2023 would be a wise move, especially if we are deemed set at QB following the season.

I think the Chiefs have to move on there.  Brown is good, but not great.  He is the Montez Sweat of offensive tackles, but he wants top 5 dollars.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, philibusters said:

I think the Chiefs have to move on there.  Brown is good, but not great.  He is the Montez Sweat of offensive tackles, but he wants top 5 dollars.

The offer he got reflected that really. I’d like him here though :ols:

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

The offer he got reflected that really. I’d like him here though :ols:

Brown is maybe a 16 to 20 tackle?

I would definitely take Leno at 8.5 million this year and 12.5 million next year over paying Orlando Brown Jr. over 20 million a year.  We are getting way more value even if Brown is a slightly better player.  And that is what Brown is compared to Leno in my opinion--a slight upgrade.  The key to team building is to understand when you start getting diminishing returns at positions.  

I would much rather take a Tackle in the first or second round in this upcoming draft and sit them behind Leno for a year before letting them take over.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, philibusters said:

Brown is maybe a 16 to 20 tackle?

I would definitely take Leno at 8.5 million this year and 12.5 million next year over paying Orlando Brown Jr. over 20 million a year.  We are getting way more value even if Brown is a slightly better player.  And that is what Brown is compared to Leno in my opinion--a slight upgrade.  The key to team building is to understand when you start getting diminishing returns at positions.  

I would much rather take a Tackle in the first or second round in this upcoming draft and sit them behind Leno for a year before letting them take over.

I agree. OT is one of the positions where FA routinely get huge cash and I think a smart way to build/maintain a perennial winning OL is to restock through the draft, including drafting an OT in the first/second every few years.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, philibusters said:

Yeh I agree, that was my original point. OT and CB priorities for me in the next draft.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2022 at 6:51 AM, philibusters said:

At this time last year, I thought Howell, Rattler, Willis, and even Kedon Slovis had that high end potential because I was seeing content put out hyping them up.  With hindsight they all went sideways or regressed a bit, but I think most people assumed 2 or 3 QBs would go in the top 10 even if they were not sure exactly which ones it would be.

What QB's do you like this year?

I was out on all of them. Outside of Rattler and Willis I didnt think any of the QBs had elite ceilings. Willis more than Rattler but Willis had the lowest floor of any of the prospects with elite ceilings over the last few drafts by a pretty wide margin. Slovis is on top of my do not draft list. Doesnt have an NFL arm. People assumed they would go early cause QBs always go early but QB drafting has been shifting towards elite QB play. The league is learning that decent QBs don't lead to anything but purgatory. 

For this year its Stroud and Young as the top guys. Maybe Richardson and KJ Jefferson ascend to that level but its a long shot. 

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Haener was a sip guy last year. Guess Howell looked rough. I'll watch tomorrow.

Howell looked okay. One bad INT, two batted passes, a miscommunication with a receiver… but he came in and sparked some life. He looked like a rookie. Not a good day but not terrible.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

Antonio a hybrid type, Minkah Fitzpatrick style.

https://www.si.com/college/tamu/news/aggies-antonio-johnson-secondary-dj-durkin-jimbo-fisher-2022-depth-chart-jardin-gilbert#gid=ci029bbb1940002795&pid=usatsi_17161586

"He's going to do a little bit of everything," A&M coach Jimbo Fisher said last week of Johnson's role. "There's not much he can't do. He'll play nickel, safety, dime. We can move him around and match him up because he's such a tremendous football player." 

Johnson was the top safety prospect in the state of Missouri when coming out of East St.Louis in 2020. He quickly adapted to college speed under Mike Elko's direction and Fisher needed a nickel defender to replace the injured Devin Morris. 

Two years later, Johnson holds the key to how the remainder of the defense will unfold. Fisher has always put an emphasis on getting great players reps, and spring practice could present a more clear picture of the direction of where Johnson lines up. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Another hybrid type, hard hitting tackler from Alabama, feels inevitable.

https://www.si.com/college/alabama/bamacentral/sure-tackler-brian-branch-is-a-hit-in-alabamas-secondary

In fact, the hard-hitting defensive back can't even recall the last ball-carrier who escaped one of his blows. 

“Coach Saban knows,” he said with a smile when asked to try Tuesday. 

According to PFF, Branch’s last missed tackle came during the Rose Bowl victory over Norte Dame in the 2020 season. So far that’s his only slip-up in his two seasons with the Crimson Tide. 

“I take a lot of pride in it,” Branch said of his ability to wrap up defenders. “Coming from high school that’s one area where I wanted to focus on in my game. I think I've come a long way in that area.” 

While Branch’s tackling percentage is impeccable, it’s how he brings down his opposition that has drawn plaudits from his teammates. Last week, Alabama safety Jordan Battle listed Branch alongside DeMarcco Hellams as the two hardest hitters in the Crimson Tide’s secondary. 

“Those are probably the two hard head hitters,” Battle said. “Think they have concussions or something. They need to check themselves. They’re hitting too hard.”

Branch is too humble to sing his own praises, but even isn’t arguing with his teammate's assessment. 

“I kind of agree with it,” he said when asked about Battle’s remarks, “as far as taking pride in it, it’s just something that happens.”

Last season, Slade Bolden described going against Branch in practice as a “task.” Even then, the former Alabama receiver seldom had to deal with taking hits from the defensive back after he had built up a head of steam. Things are a bit different for running back Trey Sanders, who often meets the charging defender after clearing the line of scrimmage. 

That makes for a few epic collisions. 

“Being a running back here at the University of Alabama, they’ve got hard hitters on defense, we’ve got hard hitters on offense,” Sanders said. “Just like they’ve got a mentality to take a person’s head off on defense, we’ve got the same mentality on offense. It’s just competing every day. I love it.”

Sanders might enjoy the hard hits, but he doesn’t have to deal with them when it actually matters on Saturdays. For the rest of the SEC, avoiding Branch's blows is far less fun. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I find this thread kinda frustrating for a multitude of reasons.

Top three

1) I don't follow college football so i don't know these cats, I work every Saturday.

2) You guys gush over players we never end up drafting because we suck at drafting.

3) We never end up with a good enough pick for the blue chip QBs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CobraCommander said:

I find this thread kinda frustrating for a multitude of reasons.

Top three

1) I don't follow college football so i don't know these cats, I work every Saturday.

2) You guys gush over players we never end up drafting because we suck at drafting.

3) We never end up with a good enough pick for the blue chip QBs.

Clearly, they can't draft all the players we all like. 😀

But plenty of guys they've taken has gotten plenty of discussion about before the draft -- Dotson, Robinson, Cole Turner, Howell -- pages of stuff about all of them. 

This current draft seems to be potentially a good one but like always you need 2-3 years for it to play out.  Guys like Kiper like to say if you can get 3 good players out of a draft you did well.  More end up busts than successes -- just how it goes typically.

• Thumb up 1

On 8/21/2022 at 2:13 AM, RWJ said:

I think our 2023 QB is on the team.  His name is Sam Howell.  

If its not Carson its because he wasnt good. That means the 2022 season went to hell in a handbasket. Which means Ron is entering year 4 of a 5 year deal with 3 bad seasons behind him. Theres no way Ron is going into a red hot seat season with a 5th round QB starting that has shown very little.