Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mickey Mouse vs Pudding Fingers Ron: Desantis’s War on Disney! Should Disney leave?

88Comrade2000

And go where?  

Disneyland is already in California, wouldn't make sense to put it in New Mexico or Arizona, and rest of the sunbelt is flirting with becoming a GOP dystopia jus like Florida.

I've been to DisneyWorld, it's huge, picking it up and moving it somewhere else, even Georgia (who might be getting their **** together if they elect Abrams) isn't realistic.

Anywhere north of the Carolinas makes it seasonal because of the winters there.  That's why both their major American theme parks are in Cali and Florida in the first place.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 2

I have a hard time disagreeing.  I think most of the biggest companies are probably already aware of the timelines upon which they travel.  If you take the 10 biggest companies at any point and then look at the odds they will still be amongst the top 10 a decade later, the odds are not good.  If you look at the top 10 businesses from Fortune in 2000, 2010 and 2020 only Exxon and Walmart are there for all three.  The big companies have to find a way to brand themselves in a way that allows for continuous growth.  I note Disney is not on the top 10 list in any of them, but I only bring it up to show how hard it is to stay in business for decades.  Here are the three top ten lists I mentioned above:

2020 2010 2000  
Walmart Walmart General Motors
Amazon  Exxon Wal-Mart  
Apple Chevron Exxon Mobil
CVS GE Ford Motor
United Health Group Bank of America General Electric
Berkshire Hathaway Conoco Phillips Intl. Business Machines
Mckesson AT&T Citigroup  
AmerisourceBergen Ford Motor AT&T  
Alphabet J.P. Morgan Altria Group
Exxon Mobil Hewlett Packard Boeing  

Now look at how many of these, the very biggest of U.S. companies, are no longer with us or are a shell of what they once were.  If companies like Disney aren't thinking of what they will look like in a decade, the odds grow longer for them being around in a decade.  I suspect the ability to mold the areas around Disney has been a huge reason for their success in marketing Disney World through the decades.  I wouldn't be surprised if they take this attack on them and their branding very seriously, assuming they are as long term market savy as they seem to be.

Edited by gbear

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

Why overturn something that saves you 160mil a year in taxes and allows you to forgo 1billion in debt? 😆

I would think Florida would benefit more from overturning this disaster of a new policy. 

Right? Florida has no state income taxes, that's a lot of money lost on top of the cost of moving DisneyWorld out of Florida.  

Edited by Renegade7

2 points:

Number 1, Disney is a business managed by business people and has a duty to its shareholders.  It espouses inclusive views because they are good for Disney's business.  If Florida holds different views, Disney is not going to cause significant damage to its business prospects to take a moral stand.

Number 2, DeSantis is dying to have this fight.  Disney shouldn't give it to him.  It should say that it said it's piece on this topic, will continue to be as inclusive as possible, cut off all donations to GOP politicians nationwide, and then move on.  

• Like 7

I've had those thoughts. About Disney moving. And yeah, I think it's a fantasy. 

Among other things, I suspect they can just buy the state government for a lot less money. 

But I will say that one idea (fantasy?) that's occurred to me, as a possible Disney location?  

Puerto Rico. 

I know. It would suffer hugely from all the people who think it's a foreign country. But ......

Warm weather. Piles of cheap labor. I assume Disney could purchase huge areas of oceanfront property. A lot cheaper than anywhere else. 

The remote location might give Disney leverage over the transportation that people take, back and forth. It might allow Disney to more monopolize the traveler's time. 

Pretty sure the PR government would crawl for miles on their bellies to attract a business that would probably pump tens of millions a day of "outside money" into the pockets of local workers. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

17 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

2 points:

Number 1, Disney is a business managed by business people and has a duty to its shareholders.  It espouses inclusive views because they are good for Disney's business.  If Florida holds different views, Disney is not going to cause significant damage to its business prospects to take a moral stand.

Number 2, DeSantis is dying to have this fight.  Disney shouldn't give it to him.  It should say that it said it's piece on this topic, will continue to be as inclusive as possible, cut off all donations to GOP politicians nationwide, and then move on.  

Yeah, it would not hurt me a bit if Disney simply decides that the cheapest response is simply to turn Florida blue. 

Unfortunately, they will probably decide that it's cheaper yet, to simply have it become "Nazis who know better than to **** with big corporations."

I know so little about the business they’re in, much less her specific situation, to know whether they could move or whether it would be worth it. 

There are other places to go. That’s for sure. They are the attraction - no one swings by Disney because they wanted to go to florida. Plenty of people go to florida cause they wanted to go there - we just did - but the people that go to Disney wanted to go to Disney.  They picked florida cause it made more sense than Europe or California for them (although my understanding is flying across the country to California is the smarter play…)

So I’m sure they could find another place to setup shop. 

no idea what that costs or what they’d lose etc. 

im guessing Disney has a longer view of things than centering incredibly important decisions based on whichever idiot is currently in charge. 

Edited by tshile

41 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Right? Florida has no state income taxes, that's a lot of money lost on top of the cost of moving DisneyLand out if Florida.  

DisneyLand is in California, DisneyWorld is in Florida. I knew what you meant though.

2 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Whys that?

I've been to both multiple times but not since I was 15. Thought disney world was the better of the two.

Indeed, they aren't even close. Six flags and Universal are better than DisneyLand.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

12 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Whys that?

I've been to both multiple times but not since I was 15. Thought disney world was the better of the two.

Well, I’ve never been to California but the people I know that have been to both said the fact that it’s centralized makes it significantly easier to do anything/everything 

🤷‍♂️ 

• Thumb up 1

42 minutes ago, tshile said:

They picked florida cause it made more sense than Europe or California for them (although my understanding is flying across the country to California is the smarter play…)

So I’m sure they could find another place to setup shop.

Could you elaborate on that 1st point? How is flying across country to a lesser park a smart play for people that live a lot closer to Disney World? 

And I don’t think setting up shop in another location is as easy as some make it out to be. Central Florida is the perfect location. PR is an isolated island. Wouldn’t hurricanes be a much bigger factor? 

Hurricanes and the fact that Puerto Rico’s power grid can barely maintain its current load is a major downside. 

Disney would be smart to do what PB said take their extra new cash. When someone asks just point to Desantis and say “His choice, ask him.” 

Don’t give him the fight he wants. 

Fwiw Disneyland and World isn't family friendly $ wise anymore anyways. Plus, the old view of showing up and riding all the rides is now over.

You have to pay the overpriced ticket price, buy the upcharged Genie, Genie+, and/or Lighning Lane passes..and basically show up at rope drop with phones ready to make sure you get to ride all the big rides. It's all a ****ing scam. 

• Thumb up 2

Isn't there plenty of time built in before anything takes effect to quietly walk it back before taxpayers have to foot this bill?
This is a political stunt. 

But if not, no, they should stay there and make the residents deal with the cost of them being there. As some have said, it'd cost a hell of a lot to move.. 

but could you imagine if they did? If they decided to sell a park to the highest bidding state, and just leave it behind to rot?
It's not like couldn't afford it. 

That'd be something to see.

~Bang

• Haha 1