Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mickey Mouse vs Pudding Fingers Ron: Desantis’s War on Disney! Should Disney leave?

88Comrade2000

4 minutes ago, Destino said:

That article reads like a strong win for Desantis.  

two hard right wingers on the reedy creek board there to enforce the radical right agenda.

It reads like DeSantis screwed up and Disney is letting him save face.  

Meanwhile, tax officials and lawmakers have warned dissolving Disney’s private government threatens to shift an enormous financial burden to taxpayers and potentially transfer a $1bn debt load to the state.

The law passed this spring “is a tax increase”, said Linda Stewart, a Democratic state senator who represents part of Orlando, where Disney World is based. “I don’t think [DeSantis] understood how badly this could go for the state of Florida and the counties and the cities.”

We can’t let the governor look like he lost.”

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

DeSantis takes over Disney district, punishing company

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis on Monday signed a bill that gives him control of Walt Disney World’s self-governing district, punishing the company over its opposition to the Parental Rights in Education law, which some critics call the “Don’t Say Gay” law.

The bill requires DeSantis, a Republican, to appoint a five-member board to oversee the government services that the Disney district provides in its sprawling theme park properties in Florida.

“Today the corporate kingdom finally comes to an end,” he said at a bill signing ceremony in Lake Buena Vista. “There’s a new sheriff in town, and accountability will be the order of the day.”

The signing came as DeSantis gears up for an expected presidential run and marks a high-profile legislative victory for a governor whose leveraging of cultural and political divides has pushed him to the fore of national Republican politics.

The takeover of the Disney district began last year when the entertainment giant, facing intense pressure, publicly opposed the Parent Rights in Education law, which bars instruction on sexual orientation and gender identity in kindergarten through third grade and lessons deemed not age-appropriate.

DeSantis moved quickly to penalize the company, directing lawmakers in the GOP-dominated Legislature to dissolve Disney’s self-governing district during a special legislative session, beginning a closely watched restructuring process. DeSantis and other Republican critics of Disney slammed the company for coming out against the education law, calling it a purveyor of “woke” ideology that injects inappropriate subjects into children’s entertainment.

This month, the governor called on lawmakers to return to the Capitol for another special session to finalize state control of the district, as well as approve legislation around some of his other key legislative priorities on immigration and voter fraud.

Click on the link for the full article

So is the state now on the hook for that $1bn in debt?

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Is Disney not taking this to SCOTUS?

Supposedly not challenging it.  

Which I assume means that they figure that in a year or two, they will own all the people on the board, anyway.  

At least, I hope so.  

3 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Is Disney not taking this to SCOTUS?

1 hour ago, Larry said:

Which I assume means that they figure that in a year or two, they will own all the people on the board, anyway.  

At least, I hope so.  

Again, if they get out of that $1bn in debt and foist it on to the taxpayers, why would they object?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Larry said:

At least, I hope so.  

Who is on DeSantis’ Reedy Creek Board?

For a politician who claimed that Disney needed to have its corporate control reduced, DeSantis’ choices for who’s now in charge of infrastructure, drainage, utilities, and public services at the resorts display some personal bias. The five members are: Martin Garcia (a Tampa lawyer whose Pinehill Capital contributed $50,000 to Friends of Ron DeSantis PAC); Bridget Ziegler (a co-founder of Moms for Liberty, a conservative group behind massive book bans, and wife to Christian Ziegler, state Chair of the Republican Party of Florida); lawyer Mike Sasso; lawyer Brian Aungst Jr.; and businessman Ron Peri, who runs the Gathering USA ministry. They will all require confirmation by the Florida Senate.

Link

• 3 weeks later...

🤣

Power play: Disney handicapped new Reedy Creek board before handing over control

In their final days of controlling the Reedy Creek improvement district’s board, Disney executives and attorneys found a way to poison the authority of the incoming members appointed by Gov. Ron DeSantis and effectively oversee the area’s development.

On Feb. 8, 2023, as the Florida House was passing legislation to give DeSantis his new power, Reedy Creek’s board members signed a development agreement with the company that allowed Disney maximum developmental power over its territory.

According to the new board members, who are now known as the Central Florida Tourism Oversight board, and their attorneys, Disney is allowed the maximum possible density and building heights inside Walt Disney World. Other property owners will need Disney’s permission to expand within the district, and they and Reedy Creek leaders will need to seek Disney’s approval if they made any aesthetic changes to their properties within the district.

The district is also not allowed to permit advertisements of any companies that compete with ones that operate within Reedy Creek, board members said.

“We lose control over everything other than to maintain the roads and maintain the infrastructure,” one board member said.

https://news.yahoo.com/power-play-disney-handicapped-reedy-181501620.html

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Was just reading a tweet, I think it was, from DeSantis, saying that even preliminary analysis has found several legal violations that make the agreements invalid. 

Any odds that DeSantis has somebody who can catch Disney lawyers in a legal mistake?  

3 hours ago, Larry said:

Was just reading a tweet, I think it was, from DeSantis, saying that even preliminary analysis has found several legal violations that make the agreements invalid. 

Any odds that DeSantis has somebody who can catch Disney lawyers in a legal mistake?  

It’s very plausible to me that Florida could ultimately prevail in court. It will take the better part of a decade to happen including appeals and such, during which time Disney can just continue on like they have been. They’ll spend tens of million on legal fees, which is a drop in the bucket for Disney but will probably be a tough investment for the Florida GA. I see this settling in the future with Desantis’s successor, which I think is exactly what Disney is going for here. Just let them toss it into the courts and drag it out for years. 

Oh, I could see Florida finding a Trump judge who will rule out of his ass. 

But I've read several attorneys say that when lawyers want to talk about lawyers that scare other lawyers?  The example they use is Disney. 

-----

I'm also looking forward to Magaland foaming at the mouth about how immoral it is to strip a government body of power, right before somebody else takes over. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Larry said:

Doubt it. Better chance he has a judge who ignores the facts and rules in his favor. 

Disney can and should keep throwing lawyers at it. The good lawyers in Florida are probably working for them over the State already.