Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mickey Mouse vs Pudding Fingers Ron: Desantis’s War on Disney! Should Disney leave?

88Comrade2000

Disney asks court to dismiss DeSantis board’s lawsuit in fight over special tax district

Disney on Tuesday asked a Florida court to dismiss a lawsuit by the board of supervisors that Gov. Ron DeSantis had handpicked to oversee Walt Disney World’s operations.

The court filing argues that the lawsuit was rendered moot after DeSantis signed a bill that voided Disney’s development deals, which are now at the center of the long-running conflict between Disney and the Republican governor.

By signing that legislation, DeSantis essentially carried out the same action that the board is asking the court to take, Disney argued.

The governor’s move “makes any order this Court could issue — in either party’s favor — legally irrelevant,” Disney’s lawyers wrote.

In a statement to CNBC, a spokesman for the special tax district that the board oversees said, “This motion by Disney is entirely predictable and an acknowledgement they know they will lose this case.”

The state-level lawsuit was filed in response to Disney’s federal civil case accusing DeSantis and the board members of carrying out a campaign of political retribution against the entertainment giant. Disney filed suit after the board voted to undo development contracts that the company said it struck to secure its investments.

Click on the link for the full article

If he runs for President, then he can’t be Governor correct? Unless he successfully changes that law. 

Disney may get off the hook with Ron, but guaranteed the next dip **** Repub politician that takes over will follow in Pudding Fingers footsteps. 

Florida will continue to vote Republican even if they lose tons of jobs. they’ll blame it on being woke. 

i lost my job because their woke. 

2 hours ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

If he runs for President, then he can’t be Governor correct? Unless he successfully changes that law. 

The legislature is a rubber stamp.  

When he realized that his first attempt to punish Disney by waving his bundle of rods, was a monumental ****up?  I think it took the legislature less than 48 hours to unanimously pass his second attempt.  

They've already made it illegal for the state to reveal how much taxpayer dollars the state is spending on his campaign.  

The legislature has not once failed to unanimously say "how high?" when told to jump.  

• Like 1

If we allow it, he’ll be our first elected dictator. He’ll be as much of a president as Putin and Xi are. He’ll yell Freedom while taking it away. 

It’s sad that are nominees for president are going to be Meatball, a non presidential toddler who has been impeached twice and old man Biden. 

He makes some really good points here, about Disney canceling their big construction project. 

One is that the economic impact being reported is vastly underestimated. He estimates (by pulling unsupported numbers out of his ass) impact of more like $200 million, per year, continuing basically forever. 

The other is that no, we don't know that this decision was because of the fight with Ron. We may all believe in our guts that it was a factor. But we don't know. 

Another is that, while we don't know that this individual decision was due to the rising dictatorship?  It is absolutely certain that hundreds, thousands, of other businesses are making the same decision. They just aren't making the newspapers. 

I dunno...I didn't watch the video.  But just "pulling numbers out of his ass" makes me think...(and holy cow, it's really early for that)

We don't know what those folks moving to take the jobs might spend in their local economies.  We don't know how many children they might have who will be disenfranchised by the school system (which will eventually fail said economies).  

Like I said, I'm probably thinking too early. 

20 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

I dunno...I didn't watch the video.  But just "pulling numbers out of his ass" makes me think...(and holy cow, it's really early for that)

We don't know what those folks moving to take the jobs might spend in their local economies.  We don't know how many children they might have who will be disenfranchised by the school system (which will eventually fail said economies).  

Like I said, I'm probably thinking too early. 

Yeah.  The thought is occurring to me that, while I'm confident that The GOP's desire to punish Disney for expressing a political opinion is certainly a part of the decision?  

I bet that Florida's efforts to Nazi-fy the state's schools was a factor, too.  

So was their passing legislation making kidnapping legal.  The War on Hispanics (and the possible resulting labor shortage) is probably a factor.  

----

And yeah, as to "pulling out of his ass"?  

He just assumes that the campus would have spent an amount equal to it's payroll, on other local expenses.  (He cites coffee and donuts as an example)  

It might be true, but he sure as heck didn't support it.  

• Thumb up 1

48 minutes ago, Larry said:

The other is that no, we don't know that this decision was because of the fight with Ron. We may all believe in our guts that it was a factor. But we don't know. 

I think Iger and Disney citing “a changed business environment” in Florida is pretty solid proof that Napoleon Ron was a factor. 

Edited by Dan T.
  • Like 2

DeSantis files motion to remove judge in Disney’s federal lawsuit

Gov. Ron DeSantis’ attorneys filed a motion Friday to remove the judge presiding over Disney’s federal lawsuit.

The governor’s attorneys claim Chief Judge Mark Walker may not be able to be impartial.

The motion cites two previous statements Walker made in other cases where he referenced how the state is retaliating against Disney.

The filing includes the statements from the cases Link v. Corcoran and Falls v. DeSantis, which were “on the record” and “in open court.”

In Falls v. DeSantis, Walker said “Disney is going to lose its status because—arguably, because they made a statement that run afoul—ran afoul of state policy of the controlling party.”

6 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

Well, I've also heard that these 2k jobs weren't new jobs, but jobs moving from California. A lot of employees had up and quit rather than move to Florida.

And some actually moved to Florida.

Maybe the jobs wouldn’t have been direct new jobs but moving an office would have provided ancillary jobs. Lake Nona is a pretty good area to move a business to. One of the better areas in the Orlando region.

Edited by 88Comrade2000
  • Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

Well, I've also heard that these 2k jobs weren't new jobs, but jobs moving from California. A lot of employees had up and quit rather than move to Florida.

So your point is that some of those jobs were only new jobs to Florida?  

Just now, Larry said:

So your point is that some of those jobs were only new jobs to Florida?  

My point is Florida sucks.

5 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

And some actually moved to Florida.

Maybe the jobs wouldn’t have been direct new jobs but moving an office would have provided ancillary jobs. Lake Nona is a pretty good area to move a business to. One of the better areas in the Orlando region.

Poor ****s, hope Disney moves them back.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

DeSantis Disney governing board appointee quits a few months into job

One of the five members of Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis’s (R) handpicked Disney oversight board has resigned just three months after taking his post, according to local reports. 

Michael Sasso, a Florida attorney, was named to the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District by DeSantis on Feb. 27, when legislation was signed giving the state government control of Walt Disney World’s special tax district. 

Reports have not made clear what prompted Sasso’s resignation.

Sasso could not be immediately reached for comment by The Hill.

Last week, DeSantis appointed Sasso’s wife, Judge Meredith Sasso, to the state’s Supreme Court.  

Sasso is the managing partner of Sasso and Sasso, P.A., a practice that focuses on election law, complex business and construction litigation. 

• Haha 1

Disney lawsuit judge removes himself from case but not for reasons cited by DeSantis

A federal judge overseeing the First Amendment lawsuit that Walt Disney Parks filed against Gov. Ron DeSantis and others is disqualifying himself, but not because of bias claims made by the Florida governor.

Chief U.S. District Judge Mark Walker said in a court filing Thursday that it was because a relative owns 30 shares of Disney stock. Walker described the person as “a third-degree relative,” which typically means a cousin, a great-aunt or great-uncle, or a great-niece or great-nephew.

The governor’s lawyers had filed a motion to disqualify Walker last month because he had referenced the ongoing dispute between the DeSantis administration and Disney during hearings in two unrelated lawsuits before him dealing with free speech issues and fear of retaliation for violating new laws championed by the governor and Republican lawmakers.

Disney had opposed the governor’s motion, saying the judge had shown no bias.

The judge on Thursday called DeSantis’ arguments “without merit.” DeSantis declared his candidacy for the 2024 GOP presidential nomination last week.

Under the code of conduct for federal judges, Walker wasn’t required to look into the financial interests of third-degree relatives but did so and decided that “disqualification from this proceeding is required under the circumstances,” he said.