Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Unofficial "Elon Musk trying to "Save Everyone" from Themselves (except his Step-Sister)" Thread...

Renegade7

18 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

??...You know what "at any time over the last 40 years" means, right? lol...Just a hint: it does not mean "40 years ago".

Yea, but but I’m assuming you mean cruise control didn’t work well in the 80s? So I’d have to drive a car from the era to know that? 

1 hour ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

I was making a joke about what mistertim said...not about the Tesla's self-driving mode. What he described was basically cruse control from the 1980s. But I guess when it comes to Musk, some people get immediately defensive.

Yeah bro, you gotta watch your ass around CC84 if you bag on Musk. She'll go off on you like

gatling-gun-jinx.gif

Though, to her credit, she has pretty much agreed about Elon ****ing up big time at Twitter.

Edited by mistertim
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Taliban start buying blue ticks on Twitter

The Taliban have started using Twitter's paid-for verification feature, meaning some now have blue ticks on their accounts.

Previously, the blue tick indicated "active, notable, and authentic accounts of public interest" verified by Twitter, and could not be purchased.

But now, users can buy them through the new Twitter Blue service.

At least two Taliban officials and four prominent supporters in Afghanistan are currently using the checkmarks.

Hedayatullah Hedayat, the head of the Taliban's department for "access to information", now has the tick.

His account has 187,000 followers and he regularly posts information related to the Taliban administration. He had his paid-for blue tick removed last month, according to local media, but it has now returned.

Abdul Haq Hammad, head of the media watchdog at the Afghan Ministry of Information and Culture, also has a blue tick on his account that has 170,000 followers.

Prominent Taliban supporters have acquired the blue tick too.

Muhammad Jalal, who previously identified as a Taliban official, praised the new owner of Twitter on Monday, declaring that Elon Musk was "making Twitter great again".

The presence of the hard-line Islamists on Twitter has been a topic of controversy for some time.

Click on the link for the full article

• Haha 1

The big promise of Tesla that drove their enormous valuation relative to other car companies was that they were going to own self-driving.  Because with an early advantage they would get the ‘network effects’ and experience that would allow their systems to learn and deliver vastly superior performance and to completely own the self-driving/driverless market. If they can’t deliver this they are just another EV company competing with companies that know how to make cars at scale and have product lines that people with different needs will want and to stick with the brands over the years.

• Thumb up 2

4 hours ago, Corcaigh said:

The big promise of Tesla that drove their enormous valuation relative to other car companies was that they were going to own self-driving.  Because with an early advantage they would get the ‘network effects’ and experience that would allow their systems to learn and deliver vastly superior performance and to completely own the self-driving/driverless market. If they can’t deliver this they are just another EV company competing with companies that know how to make cars at scale and have product lines that people with different needs will want and to stick with the brands over the years.

Yes, but Tesla vision is very promising. Autopilot, which is what everyone has is 2-3 year old. FSD beta (which only an about 20 percent of those which purchased fsd currently has) is the consistently updated code.

I’d say fsd beta can handle anything you throw at it except unprotected lefts 95 percent of the time,  and it handles unprotected lefts 40-50 percent of the time, which I would chalk up to luck of the draw over skill. That’s not good enough, but when I first got fsd beta last year fsd beta was just scary to use; so enormous progress has been made. The long tail can be very long.

But other than waymo, there is no other company has released any thing close to the feature set what Tesla has in the limited fsd beta. Blue cruise is an impressive hands free feature but it can only used on select (most) divided highways. Everyone else expects to release their version soon, 2-3 years ago.

Waymo is very good; better than Tesla Vision, but is restricted in the one city it operates in, but they are adding more cities. But the downside of waymo is it is just a driverless Uber; you can’t own it. Do you need to? No, but I want to. Also, im not sure how well it handles unprotected lefts; it might avoid them all together. Which is what fsd beta should do instead of giving it the old college try every time.

Other than that, I agree with you. Tesla is just another car company. The charging network gives it some advantages but in Europe they are required to open up to non-Tesla vehicles and I imagine the same will be required stateside long enough. And Tesla used to have a high kw/Mile ratio on its cars then the competition but the ioniq now beats Tesla (barely).

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

A vision that has been promised for years but not delivered isn’t going to cut it given how Elon is ****ing up the brand with his other shenanigans.

The extremely high valuation of Tesla was based on a future of fully autonomous driverless cars - making fleets available as a utility and individual ownership unnecessary. They have been promising this for years are are still a long way off.

Early Tesla, Twitter and Uber investor Chris Sacca is not impressed with Elon.

1 hour ago, Corcaigh said:

A vision that has been promised for years but not delivered isn’t going to cut it given how Elon is ****ing up the brand with his other shenanigans.

no one has delivered it. Tesla could still be far ahead; we won’t know till someone actually delivers. Don’t forget Tesla also gets a sizable portion of its revenue from solar and energy storage. It’s been able to stay ahead of competitors in raw material aquisition and is the only EV maker making its own hardware and batteries. 

As far as the valuation, did it ever make sense for Tesla to be valued at its highs, even with a working FSD system? 

It’s super easy to **** on Elon right now so people are ****ting on him fairly, and his companies stupidly.

“No new products in the pipeline” 

lol.

Tesla continuously offers new features, even after you buy the car. Cybertruck production on track for 2023…. 

Her last point is good, everything it’s mostly bull****… Tesla still making record deliveries.

13 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Was the staged video bull**** too? Is the engineer lying? Or does it just not matter?

That is all old news. Nothing new there. I don’t think marketing material that exaggerates the truth is that big a deal personally but I’m not the sec, so if they think it is fraud that’s fine, Tesla should get punished. She is presenting something as new that has been out there since around 2018…

Checks and balances are important for everything. If nhtsa decided to put restrictions on fsd I wouldnt like it, but I wouldn’t think nhtsa was being unfair to Tesla. California wants Tesla to change the name of fsd…. I think it’s a waste of time but whatever, future self driving works too… if sec/ftc thinks Tesla marketing pushes envelope too far, so be it.

Here is some useful context for that tweet:

https://electrek.co/2023/01/17/real-story-behind-tesla-staged-self-driving-video/

While the data was for the whole year of 2016, all of the miles were driven within the few weeks leading up to the demonstration video.

Tesla clearly didn’t have the capacity to release a self-driving system at the time because it had only just begun designing its own self-driving technology after stepping away from Mobileye’s driver assist system.

As we reported in 2017, Tesla ran a pre-determined route many times over in order for the system to be able to do it once without disengagement for the video.

There’s an argument that the video is indeed “staged” based on that, but the real thing in contention is that the video starts with Tesla saying this:

“The person in the driver’s seat is only there for legal reasons. He is not doing anything. The car is driving itself.”

Some think that the comment is inaccurate, but the car is actually driving itself in the video, which is unedited. It’s just that it can’t do it off the lot. Tesla had to custom-build software and maps for it, but the automaker never claimed otherwise.